Music Kendrick Lamar | New album 13th May 2022

Pickle85

Thanks mate, signed up to the pre sale. Watched him in Manchester when it was the DAMN tour which was great.
Worth getting tickets? I find rap can be a tricky one to translate to live performance. I've seen some really good love rappers and some awful.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Thanks mate, signed up to the pre sale. Watched him in Manchester when it was the DAMN tour which was great.
I’ve never seen him live. Had tickets when I lived in Melbourne but had to sell them to fund one more week of rent and then luckily I’m managed to get a job so I could stay :lol:

Pickle85

I'm not a big fan of hip-hop gigs in large venues
This is my thinking. Saw Dave at the O2 last month and it was a decent enough show but lacked the intimacy that I think his best work gives off. Plus some wasted teen behind me puked on the seat next to me so I spent the rest of the gig expecting to be picking burger and diet coke out my hair at any moment.

pascell

Worth getting tickets? I find rap can be a tricky one to translate to live performance. I've seen some really good love rappers and some awful.
I'd definitely say so, he puts on a show for sure. James Blake was the support artist last time and he was really good too. 100% agree with it being hard to translate, that's why I think he's meticulous in the songs he chooses and how he conveys them.

I’ve never seen him live. Had tickets when I lived in Melbourne but had to sell them to fund one more week of rent and then luckily I’m managed to get a job so I could stay :lol:
Worth it in the end, a good sacrifice :lol: have to get yourself tickets this time round!

Pickle85

I'd definitely say so, he puts on a show for sure. James Blake was the support artist last time and he was really good too. 100% agree with it being hard to translate, that's why I think he's meticulous in the songs he chooses and how he conveys them.

Worth it in the end, a good sacrifice :lol: have to get yourself tickets this time round!
Nice, have also signed up for pre-sale. Will be special to see a great.

Tarrou

This is my thinking. Saw Dave at the O2 last month and it was a decent enough show but lacked the intimacy that I think his best work gives off. Plus some wasted teen behind me puked on the seat next to me so I spent the rest of the gig expecting to be picking burger and diet coke out my hair at any moment.
I saw Kendrick at the O2, he was really good. I just didn't feel like I was at a gig though and there was no real connection between the artist and the audience.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Kendrick is a fantastic live act btw, I've seen him performing for Overly Dedicated, GKMC & DAMN tours. Really energetic, theatric, makes use of live bands, lighting etc. The OD performance was best because it was a small Camden gig and he had just burst onto the scene, but the other concerts were great too, if you can get good seats/are ok with standing.

I'm not sure if this album would translate well in a concert setting though, but I wouldn't be surprised if the live renditions are completely different to the album either way his
set line up should be blend of his entire discography, and if you've never seen him live then it's definitely worth going.

Pickle85

Kendrick is a fantastic live act btw, I've seen him performing for Overly Dedicated, GKMC & DAMN tours. Really energetic, theatric, makes use of live bands, lighting etc. The OD performance was best because it was a small Camden gig and he had just burst onto the scene, but the other concerts were great too, if you can get good seats/are ok with standing.

I'm not sure if this album would translate well in a concert setting though, but I wouldn't be surprised if the live renditions are completely different to the album either way his
set line up should be blend of his entire discography, and if you've never seen him live then it's definitely worth going.
I saw Kendrick at the O2, he was really good. I just didn't feel like I was at a gig though and there was no real connection between the artist and the audience.
Thanks both

)_(

Thanks both
To add to that, I saw his DAMN tour in Amsterdam and that was amazing. Definitely no issue with the connection between audience and artist. One of the best experiences of my life. Still regret not going getting another ticket for that tour.

Haven't listened to this album yet just saw some stuff on twitter that made me side-eye a bit but that was out of context so I'll need to go listen to it. Anyone saying Kendrick is paint by numbers clearly lives in opposite land.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Genuine question, what would you say makes this a superb song?
I really like the melody and the rhyming repetition. The message of course and the way it works with the beat so seamlessly. The perspective he tells it from, going back to how he perceived things and how he sees it now. Then you’ve got the build up at the end as it gets louder and reaches the crescendo. I just think it’s great. Having a mainstream rapper coming out in support of the trans community is brave and it’s done in a very sweet way.

Last edited:

Apokalips

100% agree mate, saw him at the O2 also and there just wasn't that magic of the intimate connection between artist and audience.

Red_Aaron

Just into my third play through now. Second half of the album is definitely stronger for me, picks up from Cry Together

Atm I'm feeling count me out is the real stand out, it's got a real personality to it, sweeping almost epic feel, you don't want it to end. I think I might love it

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Just into my third play through now. Second half of the album is definitely stronger for me, picks up from Cry Together

Atm I'm feeling count me out is the real stand out, it's got a real personality to it, sweeping almost epic feel, you don't want it to end. I think I might love it
Count Me Out is the standout to me also, by far my favourite.
The middle section from Purple Hearts to Silent Hill is my favourite part of the album that I could listen to on a loop. Mirror is a brilliant closing song also.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Love the creativity of we cry together. Good album so far, nothing really special.

lsd

The Oracle
I think it's an album that will get better and better with more listens until it's recognised as a true classic.

Count me out, Mirror and Worldwide Steppers stand out for me so far though I fancy that to change a lot.

The guy is a genius

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
so after some listens i have a feeling. Like this is not a rap/hip hop album, it feels more like an artist who just happens to be a rapper expressing his feelings.
An absolute amazing piece of work
Yeah it’s definitely not for everyone and that’s ok. Although I do find a few tracks are starting to emerge as standouts the more I listen. It’s impossible to have a proper opinion on it after just 24 hours though.

Tarrou

feels like he’s elevated his lyrical abto a whole new level here

I think this is a slow burner that will be considered a classic in time

first listen didn’t grab me but liking it more and more now

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
feels like he’s elevated his lyrical abto a whole new level here

I think this is a slow burner that will be considered a classic in time

first listen didn’t grab me but liking it more and more now
I think it’s always a good sign when it takes time to grow on you. In my experience anything I like on first listen I end up sick of and the stuff that grows on me ends up standing the test of time.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I like Kendrick even though I am not into music as majority here, but I find his beats really average. I mean, for such an artist I don't think I ever said - "listen to that beat, man!", like I would do with pretty much any rapper/hip hoper from the past. There really aren't any special beats that his songs will be remembered by, it's mostly just text.

Also I am not sure what to think about production, Kendrick is different to others I know but it's really difficult to hear or understand the lyrics on the few songs I listened so far. His lyrics were always special, but you could at least understand it, but this album it feels like people who did Nolan movies recently were involved in sound mixing for this album too, some very loud random noises happen in every song I've listened so far.

Dante

Average bang
Section 80 and GKMC were his The Bends and OK Computer.

TPAB, Damn and MM&TBS are his Kid A, Amnesiac and Hail To the Chief.

b82REZ

Mother I Sober is unbelievable.

I liked the album on the first listen and I enjoyed it even more on my second listen. Amazing album and artist.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Early reviews are glowing but I honestly have no idea how you'd come to any real conclusion on an album like this that quickly, especially with all the hype and expectation that comes with it. Need to sit with it for a while and see how we feel when all that passes.

macheda14

Early reviews are glowing but I honestly have no idea how you'd come to any real conclusion on an album like this that quickly, especially with all the hype and expectation that comes with it. Need to sit with it for a while and see how we feel when all that passes.
More established reviewers will likely have been given an advance copy.

Pickle85

Section 80 and GKMC were his The Bends and OK Computer.

TPAB, Damn and MM&TBS are his Kid A, Amnesiac and Hail To the Chief.
Nice comparison. Some of his backing on this is kinda Radioheady too.

Conor

I like Kendrick even though I am not into music as majority here, but I find his beats really average. I mean, for such an artist I don't think I ever said - "listen to that beat, man!", like I would do with pretty much any rapper/hip hoper from the past. There really aren't any special beats that his songs will be remembered by, it's mostly just text.
This couldn't be further from the truth, there are multiple songs on GKMC that have incredible production and it elevates the songs to all time classics.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So has Kendrick surpassed him given he's just 34 and every album seems to get hailed by critics?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
This couldn't be further from the truth, there are multiple songs on GKMC that have incredible production and it elevates the songs to all time classics.
Thank you for your subjective opinion.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
More established reviewers will likely have been given an advance copy.
If critics got an advanced copy then it was a very select few, as a major outlet like Rolling Stone has had to opt for a "five things we've learned from the Kendrick Lamar album" article in place of the forthcoming main review, where normally they would release the review as quickly as possible. The reviewer for the Stereogum article also noted that he didn't have an advanced copy as he typically would.