Kepa Arrizabalaga

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Still think the best comment was from the pundit who (cant remember who) said: What I find most shocking in this situation is a goalkeeper getting a cramp :)
I thought he was trying to waste time. Which doesn't make sense because we were on top throughout the latter parts of the match.

saivet

If it was tactical, I'm sure this would be something they would have discussed beforehand like LVG did with the Netherlands.

JSArsenal

Still think the best comment was from the pundit who (cant remember who) said: What I find most shocking in this situation is a goalkeeper getting a cramp :)
I think that was Jaime Redknapp. He sounded flabbergasted at the mere notion of a goalkeeper getting cramp.

Mick321

Another terrible error but luckily he got away with it this time. He’s so average.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Chelsea did so well to find someone approaching the levels of feckwhittery that their last keeper was capable of.

Makelele

Very good performance today. Weird that so many want him to fail. Maybe it’s his confidence.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I'd happily have him for the next 10 years but having watched de Gea for so long you just get used to certain things. Kepa's fundamentals are very good but he makes basic things look difficult, IMO. The thing that was striking about de Gea a year into it was how he did the complete opposite in a way few other keepers can.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Another terrible error but luckily he got away with it this time. He’s so average.
Indeed. Got MOTM through virtue of making several easy saves. The only outstanding thing he did was somehow get let off from dropping the ball right at Babel's feet

HNK55

Supports
Chelsea
I'd happily have him for the next 10 years but having watched de Gea for so long you just get used to certain things. Kepa's fundamentals are very good but he makes basic things look difficult, IMO. The thing that was striking about de Gea a year into it was how he did the complete opposite in a way few other keepers can.
DeGea wasn’t great during his first season either. Maybe give the guy a break. Price tag. Doesn’t help but that’s the market.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Wouldn't this contradict eachother? Shouldn't a GK with very good fundamentals have less trouble with the basics?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Wouldn't this contradict eachother? Shouldn't a GK with very good fundamentals have less trouble with the basics?
Does feel like a bit of a contradiction but mainly 'cause I can't find the words for it! He does the fundamentals well. Better than most keepers. He just doesn't make it look effortless while doing so, which I think is the intangible thing for me that sets the elite keepers from the rest. Might be fluffy but I'm hoping some folks know what I mean...

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Indeed. Got MOTM through virtue of making several easy saves. The only outstanding thing he did was somehow get let off from dropping the ball right at Babel's feet
the difficulty in a save does not make you a good keeper. It was Kepa's positioning, his anticipation, the saves he made he pushed them away from danger. He didn't put us under undue pressure. Apart from the fumbled cross yes, but I have seen DDG almost push the ball into his own net

tipping shots over the bar, flying one handed saves are not the only yardsticks as to whether a keeper is good. Far from

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
the difficulty in a save does not make you a good keeper. It was Kepa's positioning, his anticipation, the saves he made he pushed them away from danger. He didn't put us under undue pressure. Apart from the fumbled cross yes, but I have seen DDG almost push the ball into his own net

tipping shots over the bar, flying one handed saves are not the only yardsticks as to whether a keeper is good. Far from
Guess you haven't read the thread title

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

You're barking up the wrong tree trying to discuss Kepa with @charlenefan

Mind was made up when he started the thread.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
You're barking up the wrong tree trying to discuss Kepa with @charlenefan

Mind was made up when he started the thread.
Well it's not his fault he is the world most expensive keeper. And he can't be awful if Madrid wanted him under Zidane (for a much much smaller fee, granted)
Only an idiot compares him to DDG right now, but he will only get better. 3rd highest in the clean sheets (if memory is right) says he cant be all that bad. He is quite good at playing out from the back, like Ederson. I think that was a key factor in wanting him

There has been a few goals he should have saved or done better with, but every keeper gets that. There isn't one keeper in the prem who couldn't have done better with some goals. Some spanish media and fans wanted Kepa as Spain's number 1 after the WC

Based Adnan

Very poor for Salah's goal. Just didn't look ready for it at all and flat footed himself.

Can't believe this guy cost 70M

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yeah was a brilliant one as Deeney placed his header pretty well into the corner.

Now the dust has settled on the cup final issue I think he's had a pretty good debut season.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
There is reason Madrid wanted him, he's v good keeper, especially with his feet which is all the rage these days, and can still improve further.

Basque country is something of a factory in producing players.

marktan

The save between the legs was pretty strange.
I actually felt sorry for the defender taking it, because 19/20 times that's a goal. The one time being when Kepa stands still.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
When we signed Kepa, albeit for a huge sum due to buyouts in Spain, there was a lot of talk in the Spanish media that he is going to be world class. Madrid wanted him and a lot of Spanish fans actually voted for him to be Spains no.1. They have obviously seen him far more than us, and although he's conceded a lot of soft goals i think he is slowly showing his ability. As is Jorginho lately

dbs235

There is reason Madrid wanted him, he's v good keeper, especially with his feet which is all the rage these days, and can still improve further.

Basque country is something of a factory in producing players.
It's mad how many good players come specifically from the Basque country, and Catalonia of course.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Is the topic title change due to him actually saving penalties?;)

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
He needs to become Spain’s #1. He is better suited to Spain’s style of play than DDG, and he can actually save penalties which is a very important skill in knockout tournaments.

izec

De Gea didnt have a high rep over there and with the world cup and his club season, it is a new low. If he doesnt improve soon, he will lose his place to Kepa.