Kepa Arrizabalaga

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Only 24 but the most expensive goal keeper in the world hasn't really been spoken about this season, what have we made of him this far this season? I'm sticking with my original assessment of when he signed and that was that he'd be a downgrade on Courtois and thus far I think I've been correct on that, he's certainly been questionable in more than a few of Chelsea's goals against

@duffer

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Only 24 but the most expensive goal keeper in the world hasn't really been spoken about this season, what have we made of him this far this season? I'm sticking with my original assessment of when he signed and that was that he'd be a downgrade on Courtois and thus far I think I've been correct on that, he's certainly been questionable in more than a few of Chelsea's goals against

@duffer
I've been pleased overall. Better than Courtois? Perhaps not but then again, he was pretty average for us last couple of years.

The fee is absolutely crazy but I'd rather the club took a gamble than went with Cabellero.

Mick321

He seems pretty decent, been ropey on quite a few goals but made some big saves and is very good with the ball at his feet.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Should probably have held onto Begovic for a bit longer and used him as an interim. Find it difficult to see how the money will be justified, although of course he looks a good keeper.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Done well for me.

Wonder how close he is to being Spain number 1 with DDG's underwhelming performances for the NT.

izec

He is good and will only get better. It is his first season. He will be an unquestionable top keeper for them a few years down the line is my guess

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He is relatively young for a goalie and the PL is much more physical than La Liga, so will have to get used to it. They have got themselves a good goalie. The fee was high and doubt Bilbao thought anyone would pay that for a goalie, but Chelsea did.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Done well for me.

Wonder how close he is to being Spain number 1 with DDG's underwhelming performances for the NT.
Agree with this. Settling down for Spanish players not always easy. See Morata. London very different to Bilbao!

He's been better than I expected so far. No big mistakes. Compare to Allison who everyone has been creaming themselves about. Howlers already against Leicester and Utd.

He'll be Spain number 1 soon too. DDG dreadful for Spain. Mental block maybe.

Good to have a young Keppa who can improve as he gets more experience. Just like to see us play more young players generally. Ones hungry for success.

Mick321

Agree with this. Settling down for Spanish players not always easy. See Morata. London very different to Bilbao!

He's been better than I expected so far. No big mistakes. Compare to Allison who everyone has been creaming themselves about. Howlers already against Leicester and Utd.

Good to have a young Keppa who can improve as he gets more experience. Just like to see us play more young players generally. Ones hungry for success.
Hmm that's a bit generous, he was absolutely terrible for Wolves equaliser. A lot of goals he hasn't been very good on. Mkhitaryan, beaten poorly at his near post. Newcastle beaten at near post again though that was a decent header. Pathetic for Kane's goal. He seems decent enough overall though but doesn't look a 60m + goalie.

haram

Should probably have held onto Begovic for a bit longer and used him as an interim. Find it difficult to see how the money will be justified, although of course he looks a good keeper.
They would be below us with Begovic in goal.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Begovic has always been a decent keeper, did very well for Stoke, doing well for Bournemouth. Always difficult to be in and out the team like he was at Chelsea.

We need an rvn

Think he's doing pretty similar to how DDG did for us in his first year. New to the league / language and new club. It's different for a keeper playing in La Liga than it is in the PL. I think he's done decent and will only get better.

Crazy money but that seems to be the fee for a top keeper now if you think of Liverpool too

charlenefan

Kepa has made just as many mistakes as Allison

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Good lad, really happy with him so far. Should settle in well with a season under his belt.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
I like him. Boyish looking. But he's finding his way and is exactly the type of keeper Sarri needs to play out from the back.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
DDG being criminally underrated in yet another Caf thread. Sorry, but for the money Chelsea paid for Kepa, I've seen nothing other than a fairly good performance so far, littered with a number of concessions where I was sat thinking he should really have done better. Dave has been doing it at the top level for years.

charlenefan

Did he piss in your cornflakes or something?
I'm just ahead of the curve. His dodgy performances are being overlooked by everyone. Give it 12 months and everyone will see (or he'll turn good, one of the two)

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Nothing special so far. But that's not a shame, it is his first season in the PL.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool

And we still won those games. Kepa cost you vs Wolves and Spurs and has conceded more than twice as many goals in the league. Yes he's young but he's only 2 years younger than Alisson. But he's had a good first season so far , as we know it's always difficult for new keepers to get used to the EPL.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
A bit like central defenders, the new breed are better with their feet than their hands. Evolution of the game.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
A bit like central defenders, the new breed are better with their feet than their hands. Evolution of the game.
I'd say that's pretty good deal for CBs.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Some people seem to have a strange agenda against certain players. Bumping threads the second a mistake happens but saying nothing when they have a good game.
:lol:

You've got Chelsea fans in this thread talking up Kepa as ready to displace DDG.

For the money paid, he's been pretty good but nothing more. A bit like the entire side, massively overrated based on the first half of the season.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
He's lucky hairy moments haven't resulted in goals.
If you can't be good, be lucky. He was yesterday, can't believe Watford didn't even get a shot off from that pass error. In fairness he's not used to playing at Christmas :lol:...
He's conceded more goals because Liverpool are a much more settled team than us and are generally playing better. I think if he was swapped with Alisson, goals conceded for both teams wouldn't be any different.

Spain fans also want Kepa as number 1:
https://en.as.com/en/2018/06/17/football/1529217464_062289.html
De Gea hasn't really improved for Spain since the world cup. They've conceded 3 goals in the last two games he played I think. I guess he can improve, but I really think it's a mental block nothing to do with ability.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
If you can't be good, be lucky. He was yesterday, can't believe Watford didn't even get a shot off from that pass error. In fairness he's not used to playing at Christmas :lol:...
He's conceded more goals because Liverpool are a much more settled team than us and are generally playing better. I think if he was swapped with Alisson, goals conceded for both teams wouldn't be any different.

Spain fans also want Kepa as number 1:
https://en.as.com/en/2018/06/17/football/1529217464_062289.html
De Gea hasn't really improved for Spain since the world cup. They've conceded 3 goals in the last two games he played I think. I guess he can improve, but I really think it's a mental block nothing to do with ability.
DDG has not been good for Spain but let's not pretend they're a fantastic team that has been let down by him. They're now an also-ran on the international stage.

cyberman

He seems to be a solid keeper but he just doesn't stand out in any way.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
:lol:

You've got Chelsea fans in this thread talking up Kepa as ready to displace DDG.

For the money paid, he's been pretty good but nothing more. A bit like the entire side, massively overrated based on the first half of the season.
I must have reading comprehension issues. Where has anyone said that ?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I'm just ahead of the curve. His dodgy performances are being overlooked by everyone. Give it 12 months and everyone will see (or he'll turn good, one of the two)
Definitely not been overlooked by me. His shot stopping is enigmatic, he can make amazing reflex saves from close range yet be slow as molasses to react to long shots. He was supposed to be a passing keeper yet he doesnt look all that assured playing out from the back compared to someone like Ederson.

Of course this is his first season, and being a goalkeeper in the PL is very different to La Liga, they are coached much differently in Spain. He has some good qualities to him.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Definitely not been overlooked by me. His shot stopping is enigmatic, he can make amazing reflex saves from close range yet be slow as molasses to react to long shots. He was supposed to be a passing keeper yet he doesnt look all that assured playing out from the back compared to someone like Ederson.

Of course this is his first season, and being a goalkeeper in the PL is very different to La Liga, they are coached much differently in Spain. He has some good qualities to him.
He's a totally unremarkable keeper which is disappointing considering the outlay.

dbs235

Some people seem to have a strange agenda against certain players. Bumping threads the second a mistake happens but saying nothing when they have a good game.
Happens with the John Stones thread too in particular.