Kepa Arrizabalaga

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He's a totally unremarkable keeper which is disappointing considering the outlay.
There are mitigating factors, Kepa was a release clause buy that was forced. He is also a young keeper so I think he deserves some leeway in his first season. However, I'm quite confident in saying that he is a downgrade on Courtois, who is a fantastic keeper.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
There are mitigating factors, Kepa was a release clause buy that was forced. He is also a young keeper so I think he deserves some leeway in his first season. I'm quite confident in saying that he is a downgrade on Courtois, who is a fantastic keeper.
Yeah, it was all done last minute, I get that. I've no doubt he's a good keeper but he's not top bracket which is poor considering the money spent on him. He reminds me of Leno when I watch Arsenal.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Yeah, it was all done last minute, I get that. I've no doubt he's a good keeper but he's not top bracket which is poor considering the money spent on him. He reminds me of Leno when I watch Arsenal.
Fair comparison. He's certainly not what you expect from a Chelsea keeper in modern times. Cech and Courtois were elite goalkeepers, that were instrumental in them being so good at the back because they dominated the box. Personally, if I'm going for a ball playing keeper I want a keeper that can pass the ball like a proper midfielder ie Ederson.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Some people seem to have a strange agenda against certain players. Bumping threads the second a mistake happens but saying nothing when they have a good game.
Happens with the John Stones thread too in particular.
Happens in Van Dijk's thread too but it's to be expected on a United forum surely? Rivalry and all that?

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Some people seem to have a strange agenda against certain players. Bumping threads the second a mistake happens but saying nothing when they have a good game.
Happens in the Alisson thread as well.

Kepa will come good. He looks like he has all the attributes, just needs to settle. He is having a decent first season, certainly better than de Geas first. And with the poor performances de Gea is showing in Spain, Kepa could soon see himself as the number one there.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
De Gea does things like that too. When you see the one touch-play in the box before Mahrez's missed chance you can understand why something like this seems unimpressive now, if we're being honest. He hasn't made a load of mistakes which is a good start for any new keeper with a big price tag. I've yet to see anything exceptional from him though.

JeffBoomTetris

I, for one, think he has the potential to be one of the best in the world within a few seasons. Have been watching him since Athletic days. He's currently having a reasonably good first season compared to Dave's first season. He has very good shot stopping and distributing abilities. With experience, he'll learn to command the area more.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
He looks really good to me, just not top class. I don't see how €73m will ever justify itself, I don't you can ever spend that much on a keeper. How much would they lose if they had Romero (free transfer) in goal?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
He looks really good to me, just not top class. I don't see how €73m will ever justify itself, I don't you can ever spend that much on a keeper. How much would they lose if they had Romero (free transfer) in goal?
They were going have to spend a lot regardless and they had very little time to replace Courtois. By paying Kepa's release clause they were able to get the deal done quickly.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
They were going have to spend a lot regardless and they had very little time to replace Courtois. By paying Kepa's release clause they were able to get the deal done quickly.
I suppose, you definitely don't want to be relying on Rob Green and Caballero, and they've solved a problem potentially for a decade. It's just a lot of money.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
I don't see it with this guy. Miles away from being top class.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
It might be a coincidence but apparently goalkeeper is a much more respected and revered position in Russia. Apparently it ties into their national culture, and its something they care a lot about. Might explain why we've always had extremely top class keepers since Roman took over.

izec

He is young and new in the league and people judge him already far too soon. Give him a year or two, he will improve quite a bit.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's 24.... For a GK at this age he's really really good. I think he has it all to become one of the best. Remember the time it took DDG to become good in England?
The whole look at how De Gea was at the start is such a non starter of an argument point, firstly De Gea was 19/20 when he came into the PL and secondly regardless of how De Gea started not every Spanish keeper who comes into the PL and struggles is going to turn into De Gea when he gets older

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
The whole look at how De Gea was at the start is such a non starter of an argument point, firstly De Gea was 19/20 when he came into the PL and secondly regardless of how De Gea started not every Spanish keeper who comes into the PL and struggles is going to turn into De Gea when he gets older
Even if De Gea was 19/20. Kepa has the same mileage as David when he signed for United, both of them had only 2 seasons of experience at top level.

Maybe Kepa outlasts De Gea, maybe his celing is lower, but potentially, at 24, he has as much to learn from EPL/Chelsea as De Gea had, you never know with keepers, a lot of people predicted Casillas being set for Real Madrid until he was 40, by the time he hit 30 they were already trying to kick him out

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
It's crazy that keepers are not being judged entirely on their ability to prevent the goal from going into the net. Absolutely bonkers.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
It's crazy that keepers are not being judged entirely on their ability to prevent the goal from going into the net. Absolutely bonkers.
At top sides you might have matches where the opposing side has zero shots on target. What value does the GK have in matches like that?

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
Bar 1 or 2 blips, he's been excellent. Very impressed with him for someone so young and new to the league. The club tied him to a 7 year contract to reduce the amortised costs.

cheeky_backheel

Even if De Gea was 19/20. Kepa has the same mileage as David when he signed for United, both of them had only 2 seasons of experience at top level.

Maybe Kepa outlasts De Gea, maybe his celing is lower, but potentially, at 24, he has as much to learn from EPL/Chelsea as De Gea had, you never know with keepers, a lot of people predicted Casillas being set for Real Madrid until he was 40, by the time he hit 30 they were already trying to kick him out
Those people wouldnt know much about football.

When you have a GK that relies heavily on his great reflexes and athleticsm to be a great shot stopper, while lacking in almost every other department, then you should expect him to decline earlier as age robs him of those attributes.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
I only saw the first half (so saw him concede the pen) but did he have a bad game tonight?
The question is not „did he have a bad game“, but „did he play like he is / will be worth a record amount paid for a goalkeeper“ and the answer is no every week.

Just like Pogba, who had many good and great performances in his time at Utd, but who has been criticized constantly because of his price tag (among other things including racism).

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
DDG was at Atletico Madrid playing. Kepa was out on loan at lower clubs and only played less than a couple of seasons game for Bilbao. Experience wise he is still learning.
I was meaning that DDG had the intensity of playing at Atletico. Like DDG he will need to get used to the fact you really do get challenged when taking crosses etc. I like his distribution of the ball.

DomesticTadpole

Who is the goalkeeping coach at Chelsea? If it is a good one then he should come on more. United have always had good coaches, but DDG eventually brought in his own coach.

DomesticTadpole

The question is not „did he have a bad game“, but „did he play like he is / will be worth a record amount paid for a goalkeeper“ and the answer is no every week.

Just like Pogba, who had many good and great performances in his time at Utd, but who has been criticized constantly because of his price tag (among other things including racism).
It isn't his fault about the price. Bilbao put that price on him as nobody usually pays that much for a goalkeeper and they would have thought he would be there for years to develop further. Then Chelsea came in because they lost Courtois. Do I think he is worth that much? No, but that isn't his fault.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Few games I watched, he looked very good. His reflexes was good and he suits how Sarri wants his team to play. Yeah he made some mistakes, some of them trying to pass no matter what. He is still young for a GK though.

Revan

Assumptionman
He's 24.... For a GK at this age he's really really good. I think he has it all to become one of the best. Remember the time it took DDG to become good in England?
De Gea was 20 or so when he came to England, and he actually had a very good second half of the season (he made many mistakes until January though). On the second season he was chosen in EPL team of the year.

Andersonson

Of course its an argument. Young players develop and struggles with consistency.. Its also his first season in the premier league. This being his first season in a new league and at his age for a GK. He's been really good imo.

charlenefan

DDG was at Atletico Madrid playing. Kepa was out on loan at lower clubs and only played less than a couple of seasons game for Bilbao. Experience wise he is still learning.
I was meaning that DDG had the intensity of playing at Atletico. Like DDG he will need to get used to the fact you really do get challenged when taking crosses etc. I like his distribution of the ball.
Where Kepa is failing isn't anything to do with physicality of the league though

charlenefan

De Gea was 20 or so when he came to England, and he actually had a very good second half of the season (he made many mistakes until January though). On the second season he was chosen in EPL team of the year.
Indeed it's a myth that De Gea started awfully. He let a goal in that was questionable in the Charity Shield against City and then one he definitely should have saved against West Brom. After those two the stick was formed to beat him with for years to come and now any keeper who comes into the league is compared with De Gea

charlenefan

Another mistake

De Gea probably saves Aguero's first as well :keano:

Mick321

I massively overrated him saying he was decent. He's awful on so many goals they concede, weak as hell