Kevin De Bruyne

Pablo18th

Scored 62 PL goals primarily from the wing also had 80 assists. And had a way better engine than KDB. Put Beckham in his role and he would 100% score way more goals and get more assists from that area.
Beckham is wildly underrated but I think KDB is a more evolved version of him. Not sure about goals but he would have slightly more assists. De Bruyne's edge is not having a weak foot.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Belgium aren't a titan but he has provided them their best moments in their history. The first time the played a quarter-final at the world cup guess who scored the winner in Ro16, as did the first time they played a Semi he was MOTM in the quarters.

He also out City in their first semi in the CL in his first season.

If he played with someone like Ronaldo, Messi, Lewa or Suarez. He would have had more success in intercontinental competitions.
Technically Lukaku scored the winner in that game.

And De Bruyne had prime Hazard in the 2018 World Cup, and more than enough weapons around him to beat Wales in 2016. Let's not act like Messi's Argentina or Ronaldo's Portugal were better than what De Bruyne had around him at Belgium during 2014-2018, let alone Uruguay. His generation disappointed in the end.

432JuanMata

Scored 62 PL goals primarily from the wing also had 80 assists. And had a way better engine than KDB. Put Beckham in his role and he would 100% score way more goals and get more assists from that area.
This is hearsay it’s like when people say a winger will score more when up front but you need certain other attributes to play other positions. KDB has the best assists per min in PL history.

KDB has 207 games 58 goals and 83 assists and he is like a CM. Beckham playing on the wing especially years ago is an advantage for goals and assists

Oranges038

is hearsay it’s like when people say a winger will score more when up front but you need certain other attributes to play other positions. KDB has the best assists per min in PL history.

KDB has 207 games 58 goals and 83 assists and he is like a CM. Beckham playing on the wing especially years ago is an advantage for goals and assists
Yeah, it's also hearsay to say it wouldn't happen or that KDB is technically better than him when he basically just mimics Beckhams passing and crossing style.

432JuanMata

Yeah, it's also hearsay to say it wouldn't happen or that KDB is technically better than him when he basically just mimics Beckhams passing and crossing style.
I didn’t say KDB was technically better I said it was close you said Becks was better at everything which is not true.

Flexdegea

Just remembering Chelsea had him and Salah at one stage on their books.

Must be some of the worse football business ever getting rid of them

432JuanMata

When they sold both I remember the caf saying how do Chelsea get so much money for there reserve players and loanees.

Nobody seen Salah being that good but you could see with KDB he was going to be great

Zen

He just seems like an pretty intelligent person.... who happens to be playing football, which I think is pretty rare, that's not meant as some insult though it may come across as so :lol:. But I don't really know how to explain it. It would also explain why it seems, on occasion, he overthinks the game, especially when he's playing up against a very smart system partially built to stop him... he's not as instinctive as others, he's always thinking, so his game is kind of calculated, and a lot of tactical battles are won instinctively.

Pep thrives on these intelligent players though - he's had most of them in recent years under him, I'd say the only one that's got away was Modric, not that I think he was ever in for him. He saw it in Lahm and decided to throw in the middle instead....

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

When they sold both I remember the caf saying how do Chelsea get so much money for there reserve players and loanees.

Nobody seen Salah being that good but you could see with KDB he was going to be great
Discussed this earlier in the thread but selling KdB with 3.5 years left on his contract for £15m because Mourinho didn't like him despite him scoring 11 goals from 33 Bundesliga appearances the year before aged 20 is perhaps the single stupidest decision any football club has made in the past couple decades.

432JuanMata

Discussed this earlier in the thread but selling KdB with 3.5 years left on his contract for £15m because Mourinho didn't like him despite him scoring 11 goals from 33 Bundesliga appearances the year before aged 20 is perhaps the single stupidest decision any football club has made in the past couple decades.
That was stupid as KDB was obviously already good hence why I can kind of understand Salah as I never seen that coming but KDB had star written al over him

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
That was stupid as KDB was obviously already good hence why I can kind of understand Salah as I never seen that coming but KDB had star written al over him
Yeah you're spot on - Salah's first loan spell for Fiorentina was nothing to write home about. He went up several levels at Roma after we'd sold him, which was fair enough. KdB, on the other hand, was very obviously always quality. Our scouting team was in an uproar protesting the decision to sell him at the time - it was idiotic then and it's turned out to be just about the worst case scenario imaginable.

Oranges038

I didn’t say KDB was technically better I said it was close you said Becks was better at everything which is not true.
It's all just a matter of opinion really. Just like if I said Robert Pires was technically a better player than both of them.

Marwood

Hard to compare him to players of the past because it's easier as a midfielder to play in a three than in a two. Very different.

He is incredibly well rounded. Though apparently has never scored a header in the league.

Therefore Scholes wins.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
He could've had three assists today as well, if his teammates knew how to finish. Imagine Haaland at the end of some of those crosses/through balls :houllier:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Come on folks, its an United forum! Stick up for our lads.

Last edited:

Cloud7

I’m in the boat that KDB is better than Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes and that’s not downplaying any of the 3.

All them 3 will be considered more legendary to the PL as they spend 15+ years here but KDB is better for me
I agree with this

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
De Bruyne has 57 PL goals and 86 PL assists, in 172 starts, and he has a hell of an engine. So these are very similar numbers to Beckham, except Beckham played 265 times in the Premier League and KDB has only managed 205.

For the record I think David Beckham was a brilliant player, but surely you have to at least entertain the idea that KDB might be better?

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
De Bruyne has 57 PL goals and 86 PL assists, in 172 starts, and he has a hell of an engine. So these are very similar numbers to Beckham, except Beckham played 265 times in the Premier League and KDB has only managed 205.

For the record I think David Beckham was a brilliant player, but surely you have to at least entertain the idea that KDB might be better?
KDB is better IMO. No disrespect to Becks who was a great player.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Technically Lukaku scored the winner in that game.

And De Bruyne had prime Hazard in the 2018 World Cup, and more than enough weapons around him to beat Wales in 2016. Let's not act like Messi's Argentina or Ronaldo's Portugal were better than what De Bruyne had around him at Belgium during 2014-2018, let alone Uruguay. His generation disappointed in the end.
Not in the World Cup. Perhaps in the Euros. For some reason, countries that are not established powers and which don't have huge populations (except Uruguay 90 and 70 years ago) are practically incapable of winning the World Cup, and winning that trophy for the first time in your nation's history is probably the hardest thing to do in football.

The Euros is a much more realistic target for a nation like Belgium as it's been won by several small nations and even the odd minnow. In that respect this Belgian team has fallen short, but I think DeBruyne has been a very good player for them, you can't put that all on him.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Most boring best player.
Was thinking Messi, but i guess he hit the ball at RM-fans once, and then got a few of tattoos.
Whats the most "edgy" thing KDB has ever done? Can't really think of anything right now.

Orion.

Numbers are irrelevant 20 years apart - the game has changed drastically. How would he do in a 4-4-2 in physically combative games, while developing alongside 4 other young lads all maturing while winning elite competitions, without being the plaything of a brutal human rights violation oil state where every other player costs about £60m?

Bruno’s numbers put KDB into context - he’s a woeful footballer yet has still statistically outdone the likes of Beckham, Giggs and Scholes. The likes of Figo, Zidane, Kaka etc from that era also fall short in comparison, yet nobody with any self respect or considerable football IQ would choose the contemporary two.

It’s the era of turbo, ahem, *charged* stat padders.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
The guy is brilliant. But he needs to seriously consider dropping his mercenary tendencies and go to a team with a real chance of winning the CL. I know he may have always dreamt of playing at the old Maine Road when he was a nipper but sometimes you have to suppress these dreams for bigger things.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I will literally never forgive him for this. The fact that teams still entrust Mourihno with roster decisions after this boggles my mind. And it isn’t like it’s 20/20 hindsight like with Salah. I was eye-bleeding furious in the moment.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I’m in the boat that KDB is better than Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes and that’s not downplaying any of the 3.

All them 3 will be considered more legendary to the PL as they spend 15+ years here but KDB is better for me
For me
Scholes
KDB
Gerrard
Lampard

Scholes vs KDB is actually a strange comparison given the former was more of a CM whereas the latter is an AM.

Scholes is more like Xavi, Pirlo and company. Iniesta is actually a mix of both worlds.

432JuanMata

For me
Scholes
KDB
Gerrard
Lampard

Scholes vs KDB is actually a strange comparison given the former was more of a CM whereas the latter is an AM.

Scholes is more like Xavi, Pirlo and company. Iniesta is actually a mix of both worlds.
Actually Scholes was a AM for long periods but as he start to get older then became a CM.
I’m Scholes biggest fan and rate him higher than Lampard and Gerrard I still think KDB is slightly above

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Actually Scholes was a AM for long periods but as he start to get older then became a CM.
I’m Scholes biggest fan and rate him higher than Lampard and Gerrard I still think KDB is slightly above
For some phases yes. He was a CM during both early and later phases of his career. For me that was what he did best even if he was a good goalscorer. I'd take Scholes if I'm building a midfield.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

They are different types of midfielders. Scholes played in midfield 2 and is better at keeping the ball and circulating pass, I think he has better variety in his pass too. KDB plays in midfield 3 and is better at providing final balls and better in putting weight in his pass, he is more of attacking midfielder (as in 3 midfielders system) than Scholes (as in 2 CM system).