Kevin De Bruyne

Anderson_7_

.He has been on fire in recent interviews. :lol:

Kevin De Bruyne on whether Belgium can win the #FIFAWorldCup: "No chance, we’re too old...” [via @guardian_sport]
Kevin De Bruyne on the #UCL: “I don’t think it's that important. It'd be nice [to win], but I think it’s more from outside. It’s a stick people can beat #ManCity with. ‘Oh, you’ve done this but you haven’t done this.’ OK, but we’ve still done really good.” [via @guardian_sport]
Kevin De Bruyne: "We [Belgium] can't play in the same way as #ManCity. As a national team, you have to adapt to the players you have around you. Does it frustrate me sometimes? Yes, but I should show that less, although that is the perfection I strive for." [via @Reuters]

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
.He has been on fire in recent interviews. :lol:
I like De Bruyne for this. There is always this relative candidness about the guy. He was knackered in the Canada game and realized everyone around him was in even worse shape to close down these younger players. Great player, glad we have been able to see this genius at work in the PL for all these years.

Chief123

If only Belgium took KDB to the World Cup they would have had a better chance.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Imagine Bruno had played as De Bruyne has in Qatar. The usual suspects would be slaughtering him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s like this in the deep cuts of the CL too. He’s just not a good player in knockout formats. Amazing domestically over the course of a league campaign, but all of the “world class” players out there, I don’t see him high up the list in 2 leg fixtures.

He also came into this World Cup with defeatist quotes saying how they have “no chance” and their team has gone. What does that do for morale when your best player is publicly making comments like that to the world?

Abraxas

Doesn't look like he has any belief as part of this team. Really they want him to stand up and drive them on as their only prime, world class player but he seems morose.

Zen

To be fair when you openly go out and say the team has no chance and it's too old. Says a lot about his mentality when on the pitch itself. You think Ronaldo would openly say that, well maybe about his club teams, but his national team?

marktan

Half the City players look lost for their national team. Cancelo is another, ditto Foden.

Valley Blue

Supports
Manchester City
Half the City players look lost for their national team. Cancelo is another, ditto Foden.
To be fair Foden has barely played, i have a feeling KDB may retire from international football after the WC..

vanrooney

only watched the first half but think he did ok. in fact he was let down by his teammates esp batsayushi with simple misplaced passes or backwards passes where belgium could have opened up marocco. just shows football is a team sport

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
only watched the first half but think he did ok. in fact he was let down by his teammates esp batsayushi with simple misplaced passes or backwards passes where belgium could have opened up marocco. just shows football is a team sport
Batshuayi is a crime against football. How is that guy a "striker".

MoskvaRed

I’d give de Bruyne a free pass for his Belgian NT performances. it can’t be easy playing for a manager who is obviously out of his depth (see England’s golden generation under McClaren). His failure to really stamp his mark on the Champions League, however, is less easy to dismiss. it’s not lack of ability - maybe he‘s a too nice, well-balanced guy who lacks that bit of mongrel, as the Aussies would say.

cyberman

Can’t come out with comments like those and serve up the shit shows he has so far. The lack of CL big nights and big games for Belgium really goes against him

arthurka

Is this a joke? He’s an incredible footballer, unfortunately.
The point being he has been the focal point of one of the best NT for the last decade without achieving anything while his leadership at City had luckily stranded in Europe. No doubt he is a very good player..

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The point being he has been the focal point of one of the best NT for the last decade without achieving anything while his leadership at City had luckily stranded in Europe. No doubt he is a very good player..
What do you want him to achieve with Belgium?

Tyrion

KdB is good but he isn't great.
He's great destroying teams in the league but I don't think I've ever heard someone say he carried his team through a difficult game internationally or in the CL. The great midfielders like Iniesta, Xavi, Viera and Keane have. Their best moments came in the kind of fixtures where KDB goes missing.

Tyrion

Can’t come out with comments like those and serve up the shit shows he has so far. The lack of CL big nights and big games for Belgium really goes against him
It is kinda funny seeing him say that he should be better at hiding his frustration while openly admitting that he's frustrated. "Would it be more polite to hide my contempt for these teammates? Maybe. But I'm not perfect."

CoopersDream

Where has the idea come from that de Bruyne never performed for the national team or in the CL? Is it because his teams has never won these competitions? Are we really solely judging him on the games where his team came up short? Even so, let's see what we have:

3 assists against Tottenham in 18/19.
Scored City's only goal against Lyon in 19/20
Scored and assisted against Real Madrid last year in the CL semis

Add to this, he has

Scored the winning goal against Brazil in World Cup quarters
Scored City's only goal against Atletico last year in last years CL quarters
Scored and assisted against Real Madrid in the CL 1/16th 3 years ago
Scored against both Dortmund and PSG in quarters/semis in the CL two years ago

But I guess none of these games are "big games" as City won them all. Games are only ever big if they are lost apparently.

Reactions: harms

cyberman

Where has the idea come from that de Bruyne never performed for the national team or in the CL? Is it because his teams has never won these competitions? Are we really solely judging him on the games where his team came up short? Even so, let's see what we have:

3 assists against Tottenham in 18/19.
Scored City's only goal against Lyon in 19/20
Scored and assisted against Real Madrid last year in the CL semis

Add to this, he has

Scored the winning goal against Brazil in World Cup quarters
Scored City's only goal against Atletico last year in last years CL quarters
Scored and assisted against Real Madrid in the CL 1/16th 3 years ago
Scored against both Dortmund and PSG in quarters/semis in the CL two years ago

But I guess none of these games are "big games" as City won them all. Games are only ever big if they are lost apparently.
It’s telling that you have to pick one game from every other year to be honest. If I’m not mistaken you’ve even picked 3 CL ties that they’ve lost when they lost complete control of the midfield on top of that.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
His comments were not necessary especially in the middle of a World Cup, but the revisionism around his quality is equally absurd.

KeanoMagicHat

De Bruyne is a fabulous player, you'd have to be a fool to see he's not been one of the best midfielders in the world for the past 5 years. Belgium are shite now. His comments were defeatist but also I wouldn't blame him for Belgium's poor performance. They miss fit and firing Lukaku badly and several players are over the hill.