Kevin De Bruyne

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
He was never going to work under Mourinho and probably wouldn't have worked under Pep at Bayern.
I'd be interested to know why you think so. When you had toured Asia in summer '13, Mourinho praised him publicly as being a key player for the upcoming season; that was before Kevin got injured on that tour.

Bwuk

Is there not a rumour that Courtious slept with De Bruynes mrs, and Mourinho chose to keep Courtious over De Bruyne over it?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Is there not a rumour that Courtious slept with De Bruynes mrs, and Mourinho chose to keep Courtious over De Bruyne over it?
Yes that stuff about Courtois seems to be very wide spread, but first of all wasn't Courtois still at Atletico when de Bruyne left and secondly they seem to have no problems at all playing together for Belgium. So even if the initial rumour is true then I doubt that he left Chelsea over it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Who was stupider? Utd with Pogba or Chelsea with De Bruyne?
Easily United imho. De Bruyne always looked talented but up until last season he never had that world class potential certainty that Pogba seems to have. Given United's problems in CM it should have been easy to give Pogba game time while de Bruyne actually faced a lot of tough competition (at least in name). Plus Chelsea also got a decent fee for him, I don't remember anyone in Germany raving about what a bargain Wolfsburg landed when they signed him for €25m or whatever it was, I think in the previous summer, when Dortmund and Leverkusen were interested the reported numbers were a lot closer to €15-20m.

Bojan11

He's started off good. But let's not get carried away.

I was excited about Di Maria this time last year.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Easily United imho. De Bruyne always looked talented but up until last season he never had that world class potential certainty that Pogba seems to have. Given United's problems in CM it should have been easy to give Pogba game time while de Bruyne actually faced a lot of tough competition (at least in name). Plus Chelsea also got a decent fee for him, I don't remember anyone in Germany raving about what a bargain Wolfsburg landed when they signed him for €25m or whatever it was, I think in the previous summer, when Dortmund and Leverkusen were interested the reported numbers were a lot closer to €15-20m.
In fact, it was quite the opposite, some pundits and journalists thought Wolfsburg got ripped off by Chelsea. Which is retrospectively not true, although IIRC, Chelsea got about 15-20% of the fee Wolfsburg got from City. If you consider that Chelsea paid less than €10m for de Bruyne when they bought him from Genk, de Bruyne was at least FFP-wise a sensible deal for Chelsea: Bought for 7 or 8m, sold for 25m, got a bonus for Wolfsburg's cup win (possibly also runners up in the BL) and finally about 15m from the move to City.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Its true. Both have admitted it was true and De Bruynes ex even spoke to the papers about it. However, I believe they both spoke to each other and sorted it out and are now close friends. De Bruyne split up with his girlfriend though.

There are also rumours that De Bruyne cheated on his girlfriend too.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I don't think he's as lazy as it's often portrayed though. He has the energy and determination to get the job done and does run back and defend (when he sees fit). I don't think you can push him into an extremely disciplined defensive concept though. In a way, De Bruyne is a true oldschool playmaker like no one else in the game today and it makes him such a joy to watch.

Glad you see it now. Your comment that he's not fit to lace Eriksen's boots was proper mental :lol:.
Embarrassingly mental. Sorry KDB fans :wenger:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He's class, but money buys you that nowadays. I am glad that is what we are doing too and have stopped with the value signings .
Agree with this to a certain extent, but we have also been wasting our time going for crazy targets like Neymar and Bale.

City have done well with their signings bought young hungry players who play for teams that were a level below them. We should have a similar strategy.

Kag

Agree with this to a certain extent, but we have also been wasting our time going for crazy targets like Neymar and Bale.

City have done well with their signings bought young hungry players who play for teams that were a level below them. We should have a similar strategy.
Martial, Memphis, Schneiderlin and Darmian? Seems quite similar to me.

In the mid to long term, Bale is a serious transfer target. He'll be back in England before his career is out and we'll be in an excellent position to bring him to the club.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

I agree completely..the players on the cusp of being top top players..we did get a gem ourselves in Martial:drool:..More of the same please.

NoLogo

Said the same thing all summer and was disappointed that we didn't make a push for KDB but in the end I think Martial fits the bill quite well. Hope we can now add someone like Griezmann or Reus next summer, even Mane wouldn't be the worst buy for us. We need fast, intelligent wide players. Bayern did also really well with capturing Douglas Costa, we need a player of that ilk, it was great to see how much problems he cause Arsenal time and time again, if we can manage to bring in two of these players and play Martial up front again we will get among the top teams in Europe again I think.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

I think we did exactly that in getting Shaw, Memphis and Martial and Herrera for that matter although he's obviously a bit older.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima

In the mid to long term, Bale is a serious transfer target. He'll be back in England before his career is out and we'll be in an excellent position to bring him to the club.
Martial and Memphis were good no doubt but were not on the same level/rep as KDB and Sterling or even Aguero when city signed him.

Still a few years off yet imo for Bale and he will probably be in his late 20's by then, would rather we went for a Reus, Griezeman etc a youngster like others have said.

NoLogo

I think we did exactly that in getting Shaw, Memphis and Martial and Herrera for that matter although he's obviously a bit older.
Come to think of it you are absolutely right most of our transfers we made are all exactly what we needed it's just that the big names, we didn't end up getting somehow occupy the biggest threads on here because they send all our muppets into overdrive. In the end there is also nothing wrong of looking into buying the best players in the world, if you want to become the best team int the world.

Cina

Darmian and Schneiderlin too.

basically, he's ... you know, completely wrong.

Kag

Martial and Memphis were good no doubt but were not on the same level/rep as KDB and Sterling or even Aguero when city signed him.

Still a few years off yet imo for Bale and he will probably be in his late 20's by then, would rather we went for a Reus, Griezeman etc a youngster like others have said.
De Bruyne and Sterling are a little more proven but the transfer strategy is still the same.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
All those players a tier below Sterling and KDB in terms of experience and reputation, maybe less so for Herrera..

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Its true. Both have admitted it was true and De Bruynes ex even spoke to the papers about it. However, I believe they both spoke to each other and sorted it out and are now close friends. De Bruyne split up with his girlfriend though.

There are also rumours that De Bruyne cheated on his girlfriend too.
bro's before...
Anyway footballer cheats on girlfriend is hardly newsworthy these days is it - Giggs has set a very high bar for anybody else to match in that arena

NoPace

All those players a tier below Sterling and KDB in terms of experience and reputation, maybe less so for Herrera..
I would say Shaw and Sterling were similar. It's just that Liverpool are a bigger club than Southampton, though their results were only significantly better the one year.

Sterling had 1 more season at Liverpool and 18 more games in Europe but it's worth noting Sterling went scoreless in those 18. Both players were probably around 3rd to 5th in the league at their positions.

NoPace

and that's why those were good signings.

Better to overpay for an early 20s star than a bunch of maybes. It's why we should be willing to overpay a fair bit for Griezmann or Koke, who are both class.

The place to save money is in depth, by having a good academy. Better to skimp there than in your main 15-16 players (11 first choice, one attacker, one midfielder, one CB).

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Him and Sterling are going to prove excellent signings.

I am certain we would have tried for Sterling if he wasnt at Liverpool.

ChaddyP

Rojo was excellent tbf.

I agree Rojo was great. But De Bruyne looked like Rooney yesterday. His final ball was atrocious , just couldn't do anything right. It was laughable. Fair play to Rojo but it was a little of both Rojo doing well and De Bruyne being absolutely wank.

26andahalfyears

Seeing Bale playing in a United shirt would be a dream come true.. I'd happily take a chance on him when he turns 36 and no one else bar some Arab or North American clubs is going after him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He was bad yesterday. Not at his best when he's told to carry the ball long distances. But I wish we had him. Imagine him behind Martial. :drool::(

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His crossing is excellent. He put two pinpoint balls into Yaya who fecked both up.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Just not naturally gifted enough to be the footballer that some think he could be.
If there is anything that should not be doubted, it is his natural talent. Good pace and stamina, excellent control and first touch with both feet, incredible passing precision and range, good shooting strength, excellent precision, good dribbling skills. On top of that he has a natural vision as football player which you don´t find often. His decision making and workrate are probably the fields where he has the most growth potential.

He is the kind of player you see for the first time and know he is the real deal, one of the most gifted and wellrounded technicans of his generation

thepolice123

Only Sterling and Bony bothered to attack yesterday, and even Sterling got pegged back into his own half for large periods by Valencia. He's not a dynamic dribbler like Messi or Robben, put him 1 v 1 with Rojo with no movement up front and he will get contained easily.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
I wouldn't pay more than 10m based on the match he played. He was horrible. Everytime he had ball in a decent position, he did nothing. I recall only 1 pass to Toure in the box which he played well. Other than that was the most dissapointing player in the game along with Sterling. If this is his level, bad business by City, as usual.

Sam

He was awful yesterday, but lets not pretend he's been anything other then fantastic for City so far this season.

He'd walk into our first XI.