Kevin De Bruyne

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He is a level below KDB, it's not that hard to understand. Listing his accolades doesn't add weight to your argument. Football is a team sport therefore using team awards to compare individuals is a non starter.
KDB is a level below Muller.

Superunknown

As someone who supports German clubs in the UCL and obviously hates City, trust me I would love for Bayern to sign De Bruyne :D

Just that in this debate between Muller and De Bruyne (no idea why this started since they play different roles), I don't think someone can easily say that De Bruyne would walk into this Bayern team and improve them because this Bayern attack is much more than the sum of parts, that is essentially due to how fluid those front 4 are, Muller being a major part of that.
I would take him at United in a heartbeat, even with him being a City player. :D

Yeah, I don't quite get why there's a comparison between Muller and De Bruyne because they're not really that comparable, at least not in my opinion. They do different things. Football is just more of a squad game these days with the amount of games that take place in a season with the league, cups, champions league, plus international fixtures (which leads to tiredness), fatigue, injuries, etc. It's just much more than an 11 vs 11 game. Really, you're looking at maybe 15 or 16 quality players. 11 will definitely start, but there's always space for competition for places, or for rotation. The capacity is there for every club, and I'd still count Bayern in that. The last thing anyone really needs though is Bayern getting more powerful, however. They're dominating their league and there's no reason why that can't continue for the best part of the next decade. I can see them winning the Champions League and then maybe even doing it again the next season...

Muller is quality though and I'd love to see him at United. Bayern have a great chance to win the Champions League and I think they'll do it.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
How is Muller not elite at anything? Skillsets don't exist in a vacuum.

Great passing range doesn't mean much when you're not given the space and you don't have other skillsets to compensate.

Thomas Muller is comfortable in all situations and is more likely to get the job done than De Bruyne.

Hell, United fans should know. De Bruyne rarely truely shines against United because he's actually not that hard to mark out of the game.
Really? Off the top of my head I can recall two times de Bruyne was the best player on the pitch at Old Trafford.

diarm

De Bruyne is the best player in the world at the moment. He deserves a move to a great club.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
KDB is the better player, but cant you accept that Müller fits better for Bayern ? . When you watched the game yesterday, you could hear Müller organizing and commanding the team non stop . He is working his ass off, his pressing and work rate in the defence has been so impressive . When you replace Müller with KDB you are stronger offensively, but you lack all other things Müllers give this Bayern team. The value added offensively is not worth more than the others things you give up by replacing Müller. It is also not like KDB´s numbers are so much better or are they ?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
This De Bruyne love-in is getting too much. City won the 2018/19 title essentially without him. Bernardo Silva was just as immense as De Bruyne was in 17/18. And even in 17/18 I felt David Silva was the better of the two.

diarm

KDB is the better player, but cant you accept that Müller fits better for Bayern ? . When you watched the game yesterday, you could hear Müller organizing and commanding the team non stop . He is working his ass off, his pressing and work rate in the defence has been so impressive . When you replace Müller with KDB you are stronger offensively, but you lack all other things Müllers give this Bayern team. The value added offensively is not worth more than the others things you give up by replacing Müller. It is also not like KDB´s numbers are so much better ?
Why are we creating this imaginary universe in which De Bruyne and Muller couldn't play in the same side? Muller has won a world club playing in a side with Ozil, Gotze, Kroos and Schurrle. De Bruyne has been massively successful in a midfield 3 with Fernandinho and David Silva.

They would be incredible together.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
This De Bruyne love-in is getting too much. City won the 2018/19 title essentially without him. Bernardo Silva was just as immense as De Bruyne was in 17/18. And even in 17/18 I felt David Silva was the better of the two.
Meanwhile, Muller is reaching CL semi's year in year out, having won 1 too.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Maybe not on this page, but on the previous ones it definitely was being debated for some strange reason.
Nah I know what you meant, I was just laughing it off because it really shouldn't even be in question as to who the better player is.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Meanwhile, Muller is reaching CL semi's year in year out, having won 1 too.
It's almost like he plays for a much better team than KDB does despite the English media love in for all things Man City and PL.

FFS Muller was so shit for ages that he was told he wouldn't even be selected by Germany any more.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
To be fair, KdB shits all over Muller. I’m shocked this is even a debate.
It's really not. So far it's just 2 or 3 fanboys or/and Bundesliga fans in this thread trying to give life to this ridiculous notion.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It's almost like he plays for a much better team than KDB does despite the English media love in for all things Man City and PL.

FFS Muller was so shit for ages that he was told he wouldn't even be selected by Germany any more.
4 years of De Bruyne at City and 0 CL semi's.

Muller > De Bruyne.

Part of Bayern's greatness is because of Muller. He was key to Bayern's performances this decade.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
4 years of De Bruyne at City and 0 CL semi's.

Muller > De Bruyne.

Part of Bayern's greatness is because of Muller. He was key to Bayern's performances this decade.
This is some kind of social experiment to see how much trolling you can get away with, right? :lol:

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
And even in 17/18 I felt David Silva was the better of the two.
Sorry but that’s pure rubbish and it’s hard to take you seriously with stuff like that. I doubt a single City fan, who love Silva as much as anyone (even more so than de Bruyne), would even consider agreeing with that claim.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I know it’s Saturday night but how much beer do you have to have had to think Muller is superior to KDB.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Sorry but that’s pure rubbish and it’s hard to take you seriously with stuff like that. I doubt a single City fan, who love Silva as much as anyone (even more so than de Bruyne), would even consider agreeing with that claim.
I prefer to trust my own eyes. Arsenal fans are still claiming Nicolas Pepe had a "decent first season in a new league" when it was quite clearly bad. I've also seen plenty of City fans defending Pep on your subreddit for his decisions tonight. So like I said, I trust my own eyes.

I don't think me and the other posters will agree on this debate. I'm choosing peak Muller over peak De Bruyne everyday and I'm sticking to that.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
I am still sad we didn't sign de Bruyne. Our FO was too determined to get another UCL title with Ribéry and Robben deep into their 30s. They were also arrogant believing that de Bruyne would be available the year after his transfer to Man'City. They claim it was impossible to bid against City but we know that's not true. The reality is a transfer was possible if the team was not run like a bank institute solely focused on profitability.

I don't want to end up like Barca & Co. who finance all their transfers with loans, but taking out a single loan for a generational talent like KdB certainly wouldn't have broken our back...

Same thing with Neymar. Hoeneß laughs about the "insanity" to sign him for 80 million and signs Götze instead for 40 million. Three years later one of them is worth 222m € and the other 25m €.

I know I shoud enjoy how well we're run but it's a bit depressing that we are leaving 5-10% extra potential on the table due to our conservative approach on the transfer market. Ironically the first time they splash the cash we go for a CB in Hernandez who is possibly going to be a gigantic flop.

Ah well. Others have it a lot worse than we do I guess.

I prefer to trust my own eyes. Arsenal fans are still claiming Nicolas Pepe had a "decent first season in a new league" when it was quite clearly bad. I've also seen plenty of City fans defending Pep on your subreddit for his decisions tonight. So like I said, I trust my own eyes.

I don't think me and the other posters will agree on this debate. I'm choosing peak Muller over peak De Bruyne everyday and I'm sticking to that.
I’ve not read the thread.

Both fantastic players by the way. However. I’d take KDB over Muller everyday.

Would have loved either of them at Utd.

I am still sad we didn't sign de Bruyne. Our FO was too determined to get another UCL title with Ribéry and Robben deep into their 30s. They were also arrogant believing that de Bruyne would be available the year after his transfer to Man'City. They claim it was impossible to bid against City but we know that's not true. The reality is a transfer was possible if the team was not run like a bank institute solely focused on profitability.

I don't want to end up like Barca & Co. who finance all their transfers with loans, but taking out a single loan for a generational talent like KdB certainly wouldn't have broken our back...

Same thing with Neymar. Hoeneß laughs about the "insanity" to sign him for 80 million and signs Götze instead for 40 million. Three years later one of them is worth 222m € and the other 25m €.

I know I shoud enjoy how well we're run but it's a bit depressing that we are leaving 5-10% extra potential on the table due to our conservative approach on the transfer market. Ironically the first time they splash the cash we go for a CB in Hernandez who is possibly going to be a gigantic flop.

Such a good post until you used the word generational, then I turned off and forgot about what you had written.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

Your own eyes said de Bruyne is easily kept quiet by United so I don’t put much faith in them. Two MoTM performances at Old Trafford spring to mind immediately.

And the bias argument doesn’t work when the argument is City fans judging two of their own players and deciding in favour of the lesser popular one. If Arsenal fans were saying Pepe’s had a good season...better than Auba’s, you’d have a point, but the former is just the usual rose-tinted specs of fans.

Green_Red

We should put in a bid for him just for the craic. Have Ole tell the press that we'd win the European Cup if he joined us.

Walters_19_MuFc

Would KDB be doing anything superior to Muller at this moment in time at Bayern? My answer is no. There, I wrapped it up. Night guys!

Eddy_JukeZ

I know it’s Saturday night but how much beer do you have to have had to think Muller is superior to KDB.
It's ridiculous to suggest KDB is a level above Muller this season though.

Muller has had a fantastic season. I'm pretty sure he equalled or broke KDB's assist record in the Bundesliga.

Eddy_JukeZ

Should have listened to Pep.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Your own eyes said de Bruyne is easily kept quiet by United so I don’t put much faith in them. Two MoTM performances at Old Trafford spring to mind immediately.

And the bias argument doesn’t work when the argument is City fans judging two of their own players and deciding in favour of the lesser popular one. If Arsenal fans were saying Pepe’s had a good season...better than Auba’s, you’d have a point, but the former is just the usual rose-tinted specs of fans.
It was even a running theme at the Caf that De Bruyne doesn't shine against Utd. Mind, his recent performances have been better but overall he's been underwhelming against United since he moved to City. Hell, I myself clearly remember when Rojo marked him out of the game.

Quote:

It’s a bit of a recency bias. People change their tune accordingly. But I wouldn’t say he is nowhere near. He is definitely part of a group of players who have been playing at a very high level throughout the season. So he is definitely in the debate right now. The fact that Kdb is a bit of a clutch in big matches (apart from against United) helps as well.

Stadjer

Muller has had a fantastic season. I'm pretty sure he equalled or broke KDB's assist record in the Bundesliga.
Muller did it as part of a much much better team so im not that impressed that he beat or equalled KDB his record.

KDB is levels above Muller. Actually KDB is a level above (almost) all midfielders.

What when KDB was not the player he was today? Before he became such a great player. Really stupid analysis.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
It was even a running theme at the Caf that De Bruyne doesn't shine against Utd. Mind, his recent performances have been better but overall he's been underwhelming against United since he moved to City. Hell, I myself clearly remember when Rojo marked him out of the game.

Quote:
Oh sorry you’ve got a quote from Moonred, I stand corrected.

Eddy_JukeZ

Muller did it as part of a much much better team so im not that impressed that he beat or equalled KDB his record.

KDB is levels above Muller. Actually KDB is a level above (almost) all midfielders.
Such a ridiculous notion. There is simply no chance after the season Muller had that De Bruyne is "levels" above him. It's nonsense. De Bruyne isn't this deity-like footballer.

And I like how Muller tying/breaking the assist record is put down to him playing in a great Bayern team, but when De Bruyne broke(or equalled) the Prem record for assists, there was no mention of City's attacking prowess. Hypocritical I'd say.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Such a ridiculous notion. There is simply no chance after the season Muller had that De Bruyne is "levels" above him. It's nonsense. De Bruyne isn't this deity-like footballer.

And I like how Muller tying/breaking the assist record is put down to him playing in a great Bayern team, but when De Bruyne broke(or equalled) the Prem record for assists, there was no mention of City's attacking prowess. Hypocritical I'd say.
One has to wonder why Guardiola even gets criticized for not winning the CL! Why should he? Since Bayern is "much better" anyway it'd have been a massive upset if they got past Lyon and beat Bayern.