Kevin De Bruyne

stepic

Yeah I don't understand why we weren't even interested. Insane. He's just immense.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
He'd be my bet for player of the season in 16/17. Have to wonder how close City would be to the title if he'd stayed fit, incredible player.
Do not think we'd be much closer to be honest. Top four would be looking a lot more comfortable but we were struggling even with de Bruyne in the side. Agree about next season though, if he keeps fit he can truly be a special player and one of the best in the world, I fully believe that.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
After one season? Wow!
Well he's already helped us reach the CL semi final and without him we would not be in fourth right now, that alone is hugely important. However it goes deeper than just what can be achieved in one season, I'm basing it on the performances he has given which have made it clear just how good he is. If he stays fit, I have no doubt he'll be a key player for us over the next few seasons.

Walters_19_MuFc

Well he's already helped us reach the CL semi final and without him we would not be in fourth right now, that alone is hugely important. However it goes deeper than just what can be achieved in one season, I'm basing it on the performances he has given which have made it clear just how good he is. If he stays fit, I have no doubt he'll be a key player for us over the next few seasons.
He'd have to do that a lot more than one season for me to say he's 'well worth it'. He's a very good player, but I find his good numbers (goals and assists) often blind people to his general play, which at times, can be pretty poor, in my opinion. For example, he was pretty poor in against PSG then he grabbed the winner. Now, obviously footballs about goals and stepping up at important times, but I feel his general play has to improve.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
He'd have to do that a lot more than one season for me to say he's 'well worth it'. He's a very good player, but I find his good numbers (goals and assists) often blind people to his general play, which at times, can be pretty poor, in my opinion. For example, he was pretty poor in against PSG then he grabbed the winner. Now, obviously footballs about goals and stepping up at important times, but I feel his general play has to improve.
Couldn't disagree more, his general play is very good. He's not a David Silva type player who controls the game and he does give the ball away more than him, but that's his style, he is always looking for the killer pass and at least once a game he will find it. Give him a top striker such as Aguero and he is devastating. As for his performances, he's only just come back from a pretty big injury. In those games, where he is still clearly lacking fitness, he got a goal and an assist v Bournemouth, a goal v PSG, helped set-up the winning goal v West Brom, and now scored the winner against PSG. I'm not sure what more you could ask for to demonstrate his class in such a short period of time considering his fitness.

Edit - Just to add, I'm not saying he cannot improve his general play, obviously he can, I do not believe it is a noticeable weakness to his game though.

Walters_19_MuFc

Couldn't disagree more, his general play is very good. He's not a David Silva type player who controls the game and he does give the ball away more than him, but that's his style, he is always looking for the killer pass and at least once a game he will find it. Give him a top striker such as Aguero and he is devastating. As for his performances, he's only just come back from a pretty big injury. In those games, where he is still clearly lacking fitness, he got a goal and an assist v Bournemouth, a goal v PSG, helped set-up the winning goal v West Brom, and now scored the winner against PSG. I'm not sure what more you could ask for to demonstrate his class in such a short period of time considering his fitness.

Edit - Just to add, I'm not saying he cannot improve his general play, obviously he can, I do not believe it is a noticeable weakness to his game though.
I'm talking about pre injury too. I have a few posts in this thread, where I talk about how disappointing his general play was. That said, I guess you know a lot more than me. I just can't see the hype around him most people do.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Fantastic player. Easily worth the money City paid for him.

We probably should have tried to snatch him, the creativity he brings is much needed.

Skills

Snitch
His numbers are insane.

16 goals 16 assists in 39 games (2900 minutes). Ozil has 8 goals 19 assists in (40 games) 3500 minutes. It's only his first season too, with a chunk missed due to injury. Wonder what kind of carnage he will get up to next season.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
He's a very decisive player.

Sadly, a very decisive player in terms of top 4 too. He'll swings the pendulum firmly in City's favour.

Without him, we'd have reeled them in I think.

Would've been scarcely deserved but they've looked as shit as us of late but with much worse fixtures to come.

Might be an unpopular but he has gone past aguero and silva as citys most important player.

@BobbyManc Would you say nay or yay to that opinion.
I'd agree with Silva, but Aguero is still their most dangerous player. Even when hes not scoring hes pulling defenders all over the field and they cant leave him alone for a second.

Varun

Staff
Would be very interesting to see how Pep uses him. He is way too direct to play as a #10 for Guardiola so he might be moved to the right but that will half his quality. Or maybe Pep just stops being so anal about possession and it solves everything in one go, that'd be sad :D

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He's easily a better player than Silva IMO. Actually contributes a lot in the final third in terms of goals and assists. I actually think that Silva is quite overrated, not once he's been consistently throughout the whole season. I think in terms of impact Aguero, Kompany and Yaya Toure have been far better than Aguero in whatever success they've had.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He's quality, not sure if we tried to get him or not.

Treble

He's one of the unsung heroes of the season. He made it possible for City to reach the final of the league cup and the semies in the CL with crucial goals and assists.

Last edited:

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Would be very interesting to see how Pep uses him. He is way too direct to play as a #10 for Guardiola so he might be moved to the right but that will half his quality. Or maybe Pep just stops being so anal about possession and it solves everything in one go, that'd be sad :D
Vidal is flourishing under Pep

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Vidal is flourishing under Pep
Different role though. Vidal's not a playmaker and needs the game run through him, it's more difficult in De Bruyne's case in my opinion. But you're right, Pep has shown versatility in his approach and found ways to include players not necessarily suited to possession football in his possession football, so I'm sure he'll find a way to do the same with De Bruyne. I'm actually really curious what he'll do with him, De Bruyne is a future superstar (if he isn't one already). He's simply amazing, he was already better than Hazard last season, just no one wanted to believe it because he did it only at Wolfsburg. Their performances for Belgium over the last 3-4 years clearly show it though, not only in terms of ability but especially when it comes to leadership and determination.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Different role though. Vidal's not a playmaker and needs the game run through him, it's more difficult in De Bruyne's case in my opinion. But you're right, Pep has shown versatility in his approach and found ways to include players not necessarily suited to possession football in his possession football, so I'm sure he'll find a way to do the same with De Bruyne. I'm actually really curious what he'll do with him, De Bruyne is a future superstar (if he isn't one already). He's simply amazing, he was already better than Hazard last season, just no one wanted to believe it because he did it only at Wolfsburg. Their performances for Belgium over the last 3-4 years clearly show it though, not only in terms of ability but especially when it comes to leadership and determination.
Being better then Hazard isn't a great deal though, is it? I've got shits that would do more then Hazard on a football pitch.

I don't know how De Bruyne will work with Pep. Although, wasn't he interested in signing him for Bayern?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Being better then Hazard isn't a great deal though, is it? I've got shits that would do more then Hazard on a football pitch.

I don't know how De Bruyne will work with Pep. Although, wasn't he interested in signing him for Bayern?
Bayern was interested in signing de Bruyne, but the timing was a bit wrong for us and we wouldn't have paid what City paid. Not sure if it was on Pep's initiative, because Pep would have been here for only one more year. If we had signed him, it would have been because the club wanted him longterm no matter who's manager.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I was a bit skeptic about him but credits to him for stepping up against PSG. Scored the first away goal in Paris and scored the winning goal at home. Nice goals too.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Real would been knocked out if he would still be a player for Wolfsburg. And they would still be top 3 in Bundesliga.

Special player, if he stays injury free one of the best players in the world.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Bayern was interested in signing de Bruyne, but the timing was a bit wrong for us and we wouldn't have paid what City paid. Not sure if it was on Pep's initiative, because Pep would have been here for only one more year. If we had signed him, it would have been because the club wanted him longterm no matter who's manager.
Hmmm. I dunno. Its going to be an interesting year for most teams in the league.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'd agree that his performance against PSG was underwhelming despite all the fanfare. That said, he was decisive enough to effectively win City the tie. What has impressed me most though recently is how quickly he has returned to form after his injury. That's very rare to be out for any sustained length of time and come straight back into match-winning form. It's likely to be the difference to ensure City stagger over the line into the Champions League spots for next year.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
By far the best player in the league at playing the final ball, short or from distance. Also, probably the best at striking a ball with either foot. Ridiculous arsenal to have.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Our supposed next manager got rid of him and lukaku and brought in the likes of pedro, salah, hubabuba, Falcao... Did he also bring in filipe luis? Fecked him off wihout giving him a good run as well then.

RedStarUnited

Our supposed next manager got rid of him and lukaku and brought in the likes of pedro, salah, hubabuba, Falcao... Did he also bring in filipe luis? Fecked him off wihout giving him a good run as well then.
It happens. Fergie let Pogba go and no one in here would complain if we paid 80m to sign him back.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I'd agree with Silva, but Aguero is still their most dangerous player. Even when hes not scoring hes pulling defenders all over the field and they cant leave him alone for a second.
Yeah, this. de Bruyne is very important but without him we still have Silva to play the #10 role. Without Aguero we have Bony and a young Iheanacho. I'd also rank Kompany as second most important above de Bruyne.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
I know this season Vardy, Mahrez, Kante, Alli are probably the front runners for player of the year but I think in the grand scheme of things De Bruyne is the best player in the Premier League.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
He strikes the ball so so cleanly. Every time.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's easily a better player than Silva IMO. Actually contributes a lot in the final third in terms of goals and assists. I actually think that Silva is quite overrated, not once he's been consistently throughout the whole season. I think in terms of impact Aguero, Kompany and Yaya Toure have been far better than Aguero in whatever success they've had.
I disagree, I think Aguero has been better than Aguero.

Behind DDG I rate KDB as the best player in the league IMO.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Good signs for next season. Mourinho doesn't know his onions any more.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
That's pretty common knowledge. De Bruyne felt mismanaged and Mourinho felt he was overreacting. It was best to sell him at the time.

Personally, I side with Mourinho more on this one.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This. But don't worry, Mourinho is the messiah and when he comes all will be well/

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Funny how everyone mocked City for paying £50my for him.

Compared to what we will see players going for in 2016, this will look a steal. Sterling will prove to be too, in my opinion.

WhoDaGOAT

As much as I rate De Bruyne, Mourinho won the league after selling him and Fabregas played a huge role in that. He did well to accommodate both Fabregas and Hazard in the same side without completely unbalancing the team. De Bruyne playing instead of someone like Willian would have been overkill. He found a system that worked.

Luís could have been utilised better, but he was always going to find it difficult in a new country under a different manager who doesn't use his full-backs in the same manner as Simeone.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
There's certain players I always think why didn't United put a bid in, why let rivals get these players.

Aguero was one, Thiago Silva was another transfer years ago, Griezmann at Sociedad, Kroos leaving Bayern and the moment the De Bruyne rumours went around I thought.. United are fools in again.

I Just don't understand how bad United are in the transfer market.