Kevin De Bruyne

M Bison

Supports
York City
He's so good it's sickening to watch from this side of Manchester. I replied to your post because I agree that he was given "acres of space" as they say. He was afforded too much space which never hurts his cause as he's already so damn good.

I used to think that he was the head of City's snake and they'd badly falter without him but then then last year happened. An incredibly good player but I'd take Pogba over him as best player in the Premier league. Only God knows what Pogba could do surrounded by the likes of what KDB has at his disposal.
Only way you can pick Pogba over KDB is because of his injury record, other than that, KDB is streets ahead of Pogba.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
Objectively speaking which CM that has played in the PL does KDB have no chance of overtaking?

He's obviously not the best yet but he definitely has the chance to be.
Yea, I don’t get why people are being so sensitive and literal. I get the point you’re making and agree.

KDB’s peak in the EPL is up there with the all time greats. He’s out of this fecking world honestly - world class label doesn’t even do him justice when he’s bossing it on the pitch. Untouchable.

Brightonian

I used to think that he was the head of City's snake and they'd badly falter without him but then then last year happened. An incredibly good player but I'd take Pogba over him as best player in the Premier league. Only God knows what Pogba could do surrounded by the likes of what KDB has at his disposal.
Well we all do, in a manner of speaking: win the World Cup.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Very good player in a great city team but until he carries his title winning side through a season he can’t be classed in the league of Keane, Viera, Toure etc. Hope he doesn’t either
What?

He was their player of the season the season before last. He's easily one of the best Midfielders to have played in this league. One of the best players, in fact.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
What?

He was their player of the season the season before last. He's easily one of the best Midfielders to have played in this league. One of the best players, in fact.
Aye, he's extraordinarily good. It's hard to compare him with the more defensively-orientated Keane and Vieira, but I'm unconvinced that any of the great PL-era attacking midfielders like young Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard and Toure were better than him.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Aye, he's extraordinarily good. It's hard to compare him with the more defensively-orientated Keane and Vieira, but I'm unconvinced that any of the great PL-era attacking midfielders like young Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard and Toure were better than him.
scholes is a different type or footballer. I’d take him over Gerrard and Lampard but

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Peak Gerrard and Lampard were better than De Bruyne. 2013/14 Toure too.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Fantastic player. Chelsea fans have every right to hate Jose for letting De Byrune and Salah go, they could have potentially lined up with De Bruyne, Salah, Hazard and kante behind them then some random warm bodies. On an unrelated note did you hear Neville say that Gerrard used to put these crosses in "but it's not a cross it's a pass! De Bryune is just as a good as Gerrard was at them" No Gary, he's about three times better you silly twit. He's become a really poor pundit.
The ironic thing is, the one sale Jose got right (Lukaku) is the one he reunited with :lol:

From our perspective it stings but the important thing is we've learned our lesson and now we're in a similar position re having seriously talented youngsters on our books we have appointed the appropriate coaching staff to nurture them.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Yeah, i'd easily take him over Gerrard, Lampard and Toure. Think he's that good. The only reason i didn't say Scholes was probably due to bias!

He's an exceptional player, tbh. Would kill for him on our team. I hate City, but i really like De Bruyne. Just one of those players you can't help but admire.

izec

We are witnessing peak KDB right now, he wont get better than this. If he keeps injury free, he can have a lot of great years ahead of him

Brightonian

To match Scholes he needs to be this good in two different midfield roles, though. At different points in his career, Scholes was world class as a goalscoring attacking midfielder and as a tempo-setting regista type.

RooneyLegend

To match Scholes he needs to be this good in two different midfield roles, though. At different points in his career, Scholes was world class as a goalscoring attacking midfielder and as a tempo-setting regista type.
Nope, thats because you can only play one of those roles at any given time.

What a load of rubbish.

So are we saying he has to play two different roles, rather than excel at one throughout his career?

Brightonian

Nope, thats because you can only play one of those roles at any given time.
And while plenty excel in one position, a player who can change to a different position entirely later in his career and go on to excel at that too is something very special.

What a load of rubbish.

So are we saying he has to play two different roles, rather than excel at one throughout his career?
To match Scholes, as I said... yes.

Chunk of hope

Different class to what we have, that cross for sterlings header was perfect, he seems so calm on the ball and has power to run with the ball at his feet unlike say Eriksen, he is a assist machine though his strike on goal is rash at times.

And while plenty excel in one position, a player who can change to a different position entirely later in his career and go on to excel at that too is something very special.

So are we saying he can’t be as good as John O’Shea - as he’s not played in 7 different positions?

Ridiculous.

RooneyLegend

Nope, just makes him versatile. You can't perform those roles at the same time. If hes better at his current role than scholes ever was in any role then he'll rightfully be considered a better player.

Mr Smith

Absolutely majestic player. If not the best player in the league, then certainly the best midfielder. Not going to go in for the comparisons, but he's certainly right up there with Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard, Viera et al.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
For what it’s worth, I’d personally take KDB over all EPL CMs - past and present. And that’s no disrespect to them either...I watched the Scholes/Gerrard’s/etc growing up.

His offensive capability, creativity, and relentless motor to never stop is just a level above. I was gutted when City got him and United didn’t even attempt to make a proper attempt at him. KDB’s ability to play attacking mid as well as inside winger with his shiftiness combined with his talents makes him untouchable at times. Not to mention he tracks back and drops deep to retrieve the ball as well as presses. Literally does it all at the highest level I’ve ever seen. The way he’s able to singlehandedly dictate the flow of games so regularly says it all really. And on top play so consistently and with as much pure footballing passion as he does.

Simply put, he’s incredible to say the least.

RooneyLegend

He's a fabulous player but he greatly benefits from peps system.
They all do and thats the point of having a trully great coach like Pep and Klopp. So that the said coach can get the absolute maximum of the group of players' talents. Its also the reason why delving into hyperbole with players of this era is rather pointless.

Luke1995

He is very good for City but is always in Hazard's shadow for Belgium. Needs to step up for the national team.

Eddy_JukeZ

Pep has helped him improve(another example of a manager being so vital for player development), but his own application of his talent is incredible.

I think Pogba might have more 'natural talent', but what good does it do him, when he doesn't apply it as consistently nor to the maximum like De Bruyne does.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
For what it’s worth, I’d personally take KDB over all EPL CMs - past and present. And that’s no disrespect to them either...I watched the Scholes/Gerrard’s/etc growing up.

His offensive capability, creativity, and relentless motor to never stop is just a level above. I was gutted when City got him and United didn’t even attempt to make a proper attempt at him. KDB’s ability to play attacking mid as well as inside winger with his shiftiness combined with his talents makes him untouchable at times. Not to mention he tracks back and drops deep to retrieve the ball as well as presses. Literally does it all at the highest level I’ve ever seen. The way he’s able to singlehandedly dictate the flow of games so regularly says it all really. And on top play so consistently and with as much pure footballing passion as he does.

Simply put, he’s incredible to say the least.
He's fanstastic but I would take Scholes, Keane and Vieira ahead of him. They were complete central midfielders. I'd take KDB ahead of Gerrard and Lampard though. As an attacking midfielder he's a force of nature.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Pep has helped him improve(another example of a manager being so vital for player development), but his own application of his talent is incredible.

I think Pogba might have more 'natural talent', but what good does it do him, when he doesn't apply it as consistently nor to the maximum like De Bruyne does.
Pogba does have more natural talent. KDB's passing is better but Pogba is more talented in terms of strength, pace, dribbling etc

Where KDB wins is his football IQ. He has the ability to make better decisions in general and particularly in short spans of time when it's really a challenge. Pogba is worse in those split second moments I reckon. I suppose one could argue that this too is a natural talent.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
He's great but he's not a CM. I think he is sort of a false winger or false AM if that makes any sense.

Reactions: Fortitude

mancan92

He's great but he's not a CM. I think he is sort of a false winger or false AM if that makes any sense.
Agreed. He spends 90% of the game super high up the pitch so he is rarely even doing what a cm does.

Like he has never played in the position pogba played last week against Chelsea that's actual cm. He plays more of lingards area.

DiceRoller

An incredibly good player but I'd take Pogba over him as best player in the Premier league.
Why the Caf can be a hard place to be sometimes.
Not a chance Pogba is the best player in the PL, for one. And based on PL form, KDB is streets ahead of him.

Pogba wouldn’t get in City’s starting 11; KDB would transform ours. That’s the difference.