Kevin De Bruyne

MrEleson

Surprised at the number of people saying that he looks better due to Pep’s system when he was clearly a tremendous player before it and easily City’s best player in the last half of Pellegrini’s final season.

If that’s how you judge players, then shouldn’t the same logic be applied to players like Xavi & Iniesta who were always in all-star teams for both club and country? Surely, they would look a lot inferior too playing in the current United set-up let alone city’s (which is still a step-down from the legendary Barcelona sides).

Pogba even when playing in a fully functional midfield at Juve never looked as good as KDB does now.

Tostao_80

Only way you can pick Pogba over KDB is because of his injury record, other than that, KDB is streets ahead of Pogba.
Pogba has more natural talent. But KDBs football iq renders that difference irrelevant. A few more seasons like this and he'd be the best premier league midfielder ever.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He's more Beckham than CM. He's a world class player.

He does get a great press though. When he does something good you know about it. Comparing his two assists with Pogba's last week. kDBs were all I heard about where Pogba's were a slight afterthought.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Any midfielders from different clubs that have a good game next thing you will hear is "he's better than Pogba" or gets compared too him :lol:
It's like he's the benchmark and standard.. weird.
Only among United fans. Which is understandable really

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Bit of a strange performance from him yesterday IMO.
The highlights reel will show his sublime assists but the rest of his game was a bit hit and miss. He gave away possession a few times either by making a sloppy pass or holding on to the ball too long.
He’ll never have the best pass completion rate due to the degree of difficulty of the passes he attempts but some quite easy ones were missed in the game.
Despite that it was still close to being a MOTM performance from him (gave it to Otamendi myself).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The highlights reel will show his sublime assists but the rest of his game was a bit hit and miss. He gave away possession a few times either by making a sloppy pass or holding on to the ball too long.
He’ll never have the best pass completion rate due to the degree of difficulty of the passes he attempts but some quite easy ones were missed in the game.
Despite that it was still close to being a MOTM performance from him (gave it to Otamendi myself).
Wrong thread, it's not about Pogba.:)

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Any midfielders from different clubs that have a good game next thing you will hear is "he's better than Pogba" or gets compared too him :lol:
Only on here. I've never seen it on any Chelsea board (unless it was a specific conversation about Pogba) when discussing the merits/shortcomings of our midfielders over the past couple of years.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Because majority of our fans hardly watch any other players and think Pogba is the best midfielder in the world.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Because majority of our fans hardly watch any other players and think Pogba is the best midfielder in the world.
Why are you saying ‘our fans’ when talking about Pogba, yet you’ve put you support MK Dons? Very odd

Brightonian

Nope, just makes him versatile. You can't perform those roles at the same time. If hes better at his current role than scholes ever was in any role then he'll rightfully be considered a better player.
Sure, that would be fair, but Scholes is considered one of the greatest ever midfielders, so I don't consider that hugely likely. It's certainly not something we need to worry about when De Bruyne has only ever had one season at this current level. Let's have the conversation in five years time.

Hammondo

Agreed. He spends 90% of the game super high up the pitch so he is rarely even doing what a cm does.

Like he has never played in the position pogba played last week against Chelsea that's actual cm. He plays more of lingards area.
Pogba usually spends most of his time high up the pitch, and does less cm work than de bruyne

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Pogba usually spends most of his time high up the pitch, and does less cm work than de bruyne
Yeah that’s just not true.

The way city control games de Bruyne spends most of his time probing the rcm /rw channel.

Yes he can do the work as he’s got a great work ethic and stamina but he doesn’t waste as much energy doing defensive work running backwards.

Hammondo

Yeah that’s just not true.

The way city control games de Bruyne spends most of his time probing the rcm /rw channel.

Yes he can do the work as he’s got a great work ethic and stamina but he doesn’t waste as much energy doing defensive work running backwards.
It depends on the match. City dominated Spurs for the ball and midfield control, so that let him move where he wanted. In tougher matches where midfield is more of a battle, hes there controlling the game being the midfield general.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I don't understand why Real Madrid aren't all over him? In fact why aren't they ever all over City's players?
City over the years have managed to build a big club image. Players will think that there isn't really a big upgrade from Manchester City. They get paid well while also playing in one of the best leagues in the world, with a chance of winning trophies every year while playing for one of the best managers in Guardiola.

In fact, the reason why they manage to keep their players is the same reason they managed to attract a manager like Guardiola. City is up there as one of the best options for a player.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It depends on the match. City dominated Spurs for the ball and midfield control, so that let him move where he wanted. In tougher matches where midfield is more of a battle, hes there controlling the game being the midfield general.
They don’t come much harder than Tottenham at the moment. Only Barca could challenge them for possession right now.

FujiVice

City over the years have managed to build a big club image. Players will think that there isn't really a big upgrade from Manchester City. They get paid well while also playing in one of the best leagues in the world, with a chance of winning trophies every year while playing for one of the best managers in Guardiola.

In fact, the reason why they manage to keep their players is the same reason they managed to attract a manager like Guardiola. City is up there as one of the best options for a player.
Or "money" as its known.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I wouldn't call it strange. I'd say it's the typical de Bruyne performance. That's what he's like most games. He'll have some moments where he's unplayable and delivering some balls that are impossible to defend against and then he'll have a spell where he's over-hitting his crosses and not getting his final ball right.

Seconded about Otamendi though. He had a great game, as he did in the Community Shield. He's our most underrated player imo. Ever since Pep arrived he's been mostly a very good defender for us.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Or "money" as its known.
For quite a while we had the 3rd highest wage bill in European football after Madrid and Barca but yet in the same period we have had very disappointing domestic campaigns. So no, it isn't just money. Money helps but they have built internal club structures that makes Manchester City a very well run football club.

Most of their high profile signings are successful. They have been part of their long-term plan under most of their managers. Compare that to what we're doing. We're paying more in transfer fees, more in salaries but most of our signings have failed to inspire.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Best player in the PL IMO.

If he stays fit all season then City are getting more than 100 points.

Keefy18

Absolutely this!

KDB performance last night was basically the same as Pogba's from Sunday but our supporters rush to social media to blow smoke up his ass whilst Pogba got dogs abuse for his 1st half performance. :rolleyes:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He also orchestrated their pressing (he was the one who always initiated it), and absolutely exposed poor Winks with his movement. His pass succession rate was only 85% while he created 9 chances (2 assists). I'm now imagining what you would've said about peak Zidane with this attitude.

Keefy18

Or "money" as its known.
Because they have an unlimited amount of funds from a Qatary family. So it is money.
That's nonsense, their squad wage bill is far better structured than our own.

We pay approx £30m more in wages than City so how are the players just staying for money?

Only their true stars earn serious money like Aguero, Silva & KDB. Outside of that they are all on respectable earnings inside the game.

FujiVice

Then explain. We spend more money but are less successful. Why is that?
Because we have ownership whose goal is vastly different. Our profit is astronomical, commercial appeal unmatched, popularity and potential new customer reach bigger than anyone. Attendance and demand, stronger than anyone in this country by a mile. When you compare the business of Man United and Man City, well you cant compare. One is a plastic club, known for its great football. The other is a sports franchise, known for its history and appeal. We won leagues and trophies for about 20 years within a strict budget. They went from a shit club to winning the league within 3 years. Look at their bench for example. If you think we spend more money than they do, you're out of your tree.

That's why I dont hate City. I hated them when they were a rat bag bunch of shite in the 80s and 90s. Now, they arent even Man City. Its just some PSG style invention out of nowhere, suddenly going from attracting Stuart Pearce and Mark Hughes to Pep Guadiola as manager. They're a great footballing side with questionable business ethics, that have made him successful but will never be Barca, Real or United. Or even Liverpool.

Hammondo

Well that’s not true at all. Pogba has spent the majority of his time at United playing much further back than de bryne and often is asked to put in more of a defensive shift.
Last season with ole he was only focused on attack, barely back tracked at all, cost us goals.

Monkey bus

What?

He was their player of the season the season before last. He's easily one of the best Midfielders to have played in this league. One of the best players, in fact.
If he’s one of the best players to have played in this league you’d expect him to have picked up at least one PFA Player of the year wouldn’t you?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
If he’s one of the best players to have played in this league you’d expect him to have picked up at least one PFA Player of the year wouldn’t you?
You serious? Scholes never won one. Lampard never won one. Aguero hasn't won one. They're not some of the best players to have played in the league either are they? I don't think Patrick Vieira has won one and he's one of the players you said he wasn't better than!

That's an incredibly superficial way of assessing how good a player is. He's one of the best players to have played in the league, as simple as that. Don't worry about silly awards. Just watch the guy play.

Monkey bus

You serious? Scholes never won one. Lampard never won one. Aguero hasn't won one. They're not some of the best players to have played in the league either are they? I don't think Patrick Vieira has won one and he's one of the players you said he wasn't better than!

That's an incredibly superficial way of assessing how good a player is. He's one of the best players to have played in the league, as simple as that. Don't worry about silly awards. Just watch the guy play.
Apologies for using such a superficial way of assessing a players qualities by recognising the fact that they were voted the best player in the league of that year. Keane won it. Toure won it and they’re just midfielders.

KDB, according to yourself, is one of the best players this league has ever seen. So we’re pitching him up against the likes of Ronaldo (2x PFA), Henry (2x PFA) and Shearer (2x PFA) but I guess these guys were just lucky recipients of silly awards too?

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
He also orchestrated their pressing (he was the one who always initiated it), and absolutely exposed poor Winks with his movement. His pass succession rate was only 85% while he created 9 chances (2 assists). I'm now imagining what you would've said about peak Zidane with this attitude.
I'm just saying what I saw (from inside the stadium).
He just missed out on my MOTM opinion due to a few sloppy passes and giveaways that Spurs were unable to profit on as Otamendi/Laporte/Walker were all in fine form.
Maybe I'm nitpicking but I have such high expectations of De Bruyne. He's an exceptional player with a great attitude.
Rare to get the total package but Kev has it.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Mesut Ozil currently holds the record for fastest to 50 Premier League assists on 141 games. De Bruyne has 49 assists and has played 119 games. He's an end product machine.

For reference the top few to 50 are:
Ozil in 141
Cantona in 143
Bergkamp in 146
Fabregas in 165
Silva in 166
Beckham in 170
Henry in 174