Christian Brueckner named as key suspect in Madeline McCann case | German Police state this is a murder investigation

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
How much has this cost again?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
"Someone out there knows a lot more than they're letting on,"said DCI Mark Cranwell, who's leading the Met inquiry.

Yeah no shit.

There's been a few leads that have gone nowhere and I imagine this'll be the same.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yeah. If anyone remembers a German man driving a Jaguar 13 years ago in Portugal, please get in touch immediately.

FireballXL5

Tomorrow's front pages in the gutter press sorted. Boris and co breathe a sigh of relief.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
One imagines that German guy is in prison for good reason.

TheReligion

Abusive
Tomorrow's front pages in the gutter press sorted. Boris and co breathe a sigh of relief.
Have you read the article? It seems a pretty solid line of enquiry to be honest. Reading between the lines he's clearly a sex offender and was in the area at the time of her disappearance. Not only that he made a phone call in and around the key time she went missing and disposed of his vehicle the following day.

I'm sure they have a lot more information and are only releasing a bit but seems promising. The German Police have released a TV appeal for information this evening also which suggests they are keen on him too.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Bit insensitive.
Would you say the same if it was your child.
I think (like most people) Bubz is just curious as to why this case rumbles on and on, when other missing children cases don't get anything like the same level of attention. I mean, it's positive for the McCanns that it's still being investigated, but other families might well feel aggrieved.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Bit insensitive.
Maybe insensitive, but its pertinent, considering the Government were due to stop funding in March if this year, finding a new suspect a month or so after the cut of date seems a bit....suspect do you not agree??

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I think (like most people) Bubz is just curious as to why this case rumbles on and on, when other missing children cases don't get anything like the same level of attention. I mean, it's positive for the McCanns that it's still being investigated, but other families might well feel aggrieved.
I wanted to write something similar to this but couldn't find a diplomatic way to put it across.

TheReligion

Abusive
I understand why people would feel aggrieved. I guess there's an argument to be had that this is very much in the public interest to continue with given how high profile the case has become. Not saying I agree with it personally but I am saying I can understand why it's still going on, especially given they are going over what was a bodge job from the Portuguese authorities.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
From last year:

From 2011 (allegedly, haven't verified it):

Edit: though the age doesn't seem to match the OP article. So maybe a different German prisoner?

TheReligion

Abusive
Thread is a car crash already. Classic.
I was hoping people would look at the new lines of enquiry and discuss it. Seemingly not.

Wonder if any of our German Caf posters might know who the suspect might be? Or if Reddit has identified him.

fergies coat

Always seemed strange why this got some much coverage, when thousands of kids go missing every year. If her parents wasn't middle class they would of been charged with neglect.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I was hoping people would look at the new lines of enquiry and discuss it. Seemingly not.

Wonder if any of our German Caf posters might know who the suspect might be? Or if Reddit has identified him.
That’s what a normal person would do but instead we have whining about how much it costs. Pathetic.

C'est Moi Cantona

It was just one of those cases that captured alot more attention, and the fact it had so much more exposure will also have meant getting way more leads than other cases, alot of which will likely have seemed very credible, so surely it would have been wrong to just ignore them for the sake of throwing a bit more money at it, it's no different to a 'cold case' that gets new info, but perhaps the Maddie one has just never truly gone cold yet.

Plus indirectly this case will have raised the profile of other cases, it certainly did at the time anyway.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
The German police have both the camper van and the Jaguar, they are also calling it a murder investigation, whilst British police maintain it is still a missing persons.

fergies coat

That’s what a normal person would do but instead we have whining about how much it costs. Pathetic.
Who goes away on a family holiday and abandons their kids for the week? and then to top if off goes out every night and leaves young children in a hotel room on there own while they get drunk.

The national newspapers or politicians never called them out on this. There has always been something incredibly dodgy about this case. A working class family would of got crucified.

Bubz27

Bit insensitive.
Pretty much what Penna said. I'd hate to put a number on it but let's say thousands of children have gone missing since. Why is Madeline seemingly more important or worth more resources?

And I don't think I'd ever leave my 3 year child alone like they left her so it's hard for me to imagine if it was me.

Bubz27

Why don't you quote me and call me pathetic? At least say it with your chest.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Always seemed strange why this got some much coverage, when thousands of kids go missing every year. If her parents wasn't middle class they would of been charged with neglect.
Yep.

Imagine what the media narrative would have been if they weren’t wealthy white doctors.

Bubz27

It was just one of those cases that captured alot more attention, and the fact it had so much more exposure will also have meant getting way more leads than other cases, alot of which will likely have seemed very credible, so surely it would have been wrong to just ignore them for the sake of throwing a bit more money at it, it's no different to a 'cold case' that gets new info, but perhaps the Maddie one has just never truly gone cold yet.

Plus indirectly this case will have raised the profile of other cases, it certainly did at the time anyway.
Why do you think it got more exposure? What's different about this and the thousands of other missing children who don't get the same level of support?

It may have raised awareness momentarily. I'd bet you can't name one case from memory that this case has helped.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Couldn’t care less how much the Met spends on the investigation when we see how much government waste there is. £11m over 13 years really isn’t a significant amount of money. I doubt Maddie will ever be found but whilst there is a chance she can I don’t know why people are so against the police diverting some resources to try and find her.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

Oh gawd

theyneverlearn

The average cost of a missing persons case ranges from £1.3 - £2.4million. I’d imagine this is higher due to the location where she went missing, the attention, and the fact it hasn’t been resolved. The cost over the 13 years doesn’t seem overkill IMO. Glad they have the funding available.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Even beyond raising the profile of other cases, their investigations into the McCann case may also have actively generated leads in other cases, depending on how the investigation was carried out. If it involved significant investment in identifying and gathering information from paedophile networks then there would be secondary outcomes that help justify continued investment. I don't think we've heard anything about such secondary outcomes but then for rather obvious reasons we probably shouldn't, at least not until it has played out entirely.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In regards to the money spent on the McCann case as opposed to other cases, is it a zero sum game? In other words is this money that would have otherwise been spent on other missing children cases? Or is it money that would never have been generated or directed to that purpose anyway?

theyneverlearn

In regards to the money spent on the McCann case as opposed to other cases, is it a zero sum game? In other words is this money that would have otherwise been spent on other missing children cases? Or is it money that would never have been generated or directed to that purpose anyway?
Think it’s coming from Bubz’s inheritance.

C'est Moi Cantona

Why do you think it got more exposure? What's different about this and the thousands of other missing children who don't get the same level of support?

It may have raised awareness momentarily. I'd bet you can't name one case from memory that this case has helped.
You've got me, I can only name it raising more attention to the Ben Needham case off the top of my head, so not by name admittedly, I do recall it offering more exposure to other cases, which can only be a positive.

I know what you're getting at, but certain cases get more attention, it's just the way of things sometimes, but it's still not a negative, a little girl went missing, and the police are trying to find out what happened, I agree it should happen for every case, but as I said this case will have generated alot more leads, so they need following up.