Khvicha Kvaratskhelia | Napoli Player

BlueHaze

How come other clubs yearly find talents like these for amazing prices but we never do.

Our scouting/transfer department seems completely useless.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I know rashford is on scintillating form and it pains me to say this right but it might be worth it trying to break the bank for this fella, I have a suspicion that he's the one that actually ends up pimping haaland and Mbappe to the title of the best player of his generation, he's just so sublime and has everything required to become a super star.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I know rashford is on scintillating form and it pains me to say this right but it might be worth it trying to break the bank for this fella, I have a suspicion that he's the one that actually ends up pimping haaland and Mbappe to the title of the best player of his generation, he's just so sublime and has everything required to become a super star.
He's really that good?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I will check out a YT comp then. Never too early to satiate the internal muppet.
I'm expecting they hype around him to blow up ridiculous levels if napoli do well in the cl which as of now is realistic possibility.

Blood Mage

This guy is really special. I would sign him and play Rashford through the middle.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's outstanding, one of the best players in Europe this season. I think he and Osimhen are the second best attacking duo in Europe statistically.

glasgow 21

How come other clubs yearly find talents like these for amazing prices but we never do.

Correct , We hope a part of Ten Hag's reforms at United is that we actually have a scouting department that is fit for purpose and not this year Youtube hyped flavour of the month. Hopefully his contacts can pull a few diamonds like Martinez from source saving us a few pennies.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Another Real Madrid fan..

United will be a stepping stone after coughing record fee.

Stay clear of him, let's wish him a good career

Telsim

He is a joke. Hopefully he stays out of the PL, unless he is coming here.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Could only get through three minutes of a compilation on YT due to the fecking music, but he seems quite the handful to the opposition.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Nobody would bat an eyelid at anyone stating he’s a potential ballon d’Or winner.
Meh, I would. He's very good, but not that good yet. Mbappe is still comfortably the superior player.

However, what is impressive about Kvara is the fact it's his 1st season in a European top league at a young age and he's already doing very well both domestically and in European games.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid

It's also luck, really. You can have the best scouts (we don't) but still Salzburg couldn't predict Haaland's transformation, Napoli couldn't expect Kvaratskhelia's adaptation, Dortmund with Sancho and Bellingham. Great talents all, but with the next-to-latter, no matter how skilled and well scouted someone is, the hit and miss is reliant on a lot of different factors. And players like Kvaratskhelia and Bellingham could still have an Alli or Pogba career just as well.

Pellistri could've been one of those guys, too, or Garnacho, or Diallo, and all could still happen, or they might not at all. That's all about stuff like guidance, (the player's) dedication, mentality, a fresh healthy mind and lots of (lots of) luck.

Actually kind of crazy how many of the biggest stars flew practically under the radar until they're like 20 years old, and than were instant stars as if almost by accident.

[in case you haven't noticed, I just pretend I'm knowledgeable and then hope I'm right]

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
It's also luck, really. You can have the best scouts (we don't) but still Salzburg couldn't predict Haaland's transformation, Napoli couldn't expect Kvaratskhelia's adaptation, Dortmund with Sancho and Bellingham. Great talents all, but with the next-to-latter, no matter how skilled and well scouted someone is, the hit and miss is reliant on a lot of different factors. And players like Kvaratskhelia and Bellingham could still have an Alli or Pogba career just as well.

Pellistri could've been one of those guys, too, or Garnacho, or Diallo, and all could still happen, or they might not at all. That's all about stuff like guidance, (the player's) dedication, mentality, a fresh healthy mind and lots of (lots of) luck.

Actually kind of crazy how many of the biggest stars flew practically under the radar until they're like 20 years old, and than were instant stars as if almost by accident.

[in case you haven't noticed, I just pretend I'm knowledgeable and then hope I'm right]
Indeed. It's a crapshoot with youngsters. Remember Willem Geubbels signing for Monaco for 20m as a teen. Now he's playing in Switzerland.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
Indeed. It's a crapshoot with youngsters. Remember Willem Geubbels signing for Monaco for 20m as a teen. Now he's playing in Switzerland.
Yeah he was hailed as the new Mbappe;

But he makes Martial's fitness record look like Ronaldo's

redNATION

Or put Rashford up top and this guy on the left, solves our striker problem too

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Meh, I would. He's very good, but not that good yet. Mbappe is still comfortably the superior player.

However, what is impressive about Kvara is the fact it's his 1st season in a European top league at a young age and he's already doing very well both domestically and in European games.
Potential. He's improving and growing as a player and he's practically unplayable as it is - more depending on his mood/form than any team actually being able to contain him outright.

If he continues along this trajectory he'll be right in the mix for best player on the planet, or would you disagree with that sentiment?

What we know about Mbappe is he has the constitution of an all-time great and we take that in alongside his talent and accept he's the real deal; we don't know if this is applicable to Kvaratskhelia yet, so naturally there is a tentative, wait and see to where he'll elevate himself to, but let's put it another way: if he has the focus, desire and mental fortitude of an Mbappe, do you think he'll not comfortably nestle in the top bracket of player, injuries notwithstanding?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is a good young player but has some improvement to do. Feel like people are jumping on the first player that reminds them of Messi. Calling him as a balon dor guy already?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Potential. He's improving and growing as a player and he's practically unplayable as it is - more depending on his mood/form than any team actually being able to contain him outright.

If he continues along this trajectory he'll be right in the mix for best player on the planet, or would you disagree with that sentiment?

What we know about Mbappe is he has the constitution of an all-time great and we take that in alongside his talent and accept he's the real deal; we don't know if this is applicable to Kvaratskhelia yet, so naturally there is a tentative, wait and see to where he'll elevate himself to, but let's put it another way: if he has the focus, desire and mental fortitude of an Mbappe, do you think he'll not comfortably nestle in the top bracket of player, injuries notwithstanding?
He will be a top player if he continues like this but in terms of winning the Ballon d'Or, I expect the likes of Haaland/Mbappe to be comfortably ahead of him.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
He is a good young player but has some improvement to do. Feel like people are jumping on the first player that reminds them of Messi. Calling him as a balon dor guy already?
Atleast they ain't calling him a generational talent

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Nobody would bat an eyelid at anyone stating he’s a potential ballon d’Or winner.
Marcus Rashford was a better player in his breakout 19/20 Premier League season at just one year older, and no one is suggesting he will ever be in that conversation. You could argue he has never reached those heigths again, even with his current standard of play.

Khvicha is playing in a league thats always portrayed as weaker, on a team that is firing on every cylinder imaginable where every ball goes their way. Will he be as noticable when the teams behind them level the field?

He for sure could be in the conversation in the future, but its very very early to label him as the next great before he has had a chance to repeat a season. Footballing history is full of players who had dominating debut seasons, only to never get anywhere near that level again.

Shinjch

He looks like the real jewel at Napoli for me. Special player.

Red Comet

A few reasons:

1. Cream rises to the top. Plenty of players are being signed all the time for varying amount of money. You will only hear of the success, but never of the failures. For example, Leicester City is notable for making good money through flipping Maguire, Mahrez, Chilwell, Fofana etc. but you probably won't recall players like Filip Benkovic, Adrien Silva, Rachid Ghezzal, Vincent Iborra, Islam Sliming, Andrej Kramarić etc. who were all signed by Leicester for pretty significant amount of money.

2. Man Utd tax. Anytime we are in for any player adds at least €25 million to the value. This means we will almost never be able to get any players on good value. See Sean Longstaff.

3. Ask ETH said, Man Utd shirt weighs heavy. Even top players who sign for us can buckle under the immense pressure and spotlight of simply playing for us. Every single mistake is magnified and the source of endless ridicule on social media. This impacts the confidence of the players and the ability to play without fear and confidence is one of the most important factor at the highest level. Playing away from the constant spotlight and media circus gives players the room to grow and develop.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Yeah, this. Khvicha was a great talent but never in a million years would you think that he's a future Ballon d'Or winner in the making... until the transfer to Napoli happened and he absolutely exploded. You get a few almost certs in every generation — someone like Mbappé or Rooney, but for the rest you need both proper scouting and a lot of luck.

Last edited:

Sviken

I think we should go for him, despite the options we have upfront. You just don't want to miss on this kind of player.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Marcus Rashford was a better player in his breakout 19/20 Premier League season at just one year older, and no one is suggesting he will ever be in that conversation. You could argue he has never reached those heigths again, even with his current standard of play.

Khvicha is playing in a league thats always portrayed as weaker, on a team that is firing on every cylinder imaginable where every ball goes their way. Will he be as noticable when the teams behind them level the field?

He for sure could be in the conversation in the future, but its very very early to label him as the next great before he has had a chance to repeat a season. Footballing history is full of players who had dominating debut seasons, only to never get anywhere near that level again.
The operative word is potential, which is drawn from the talent on display and how many avenues are left to unlock as well as what the innate skilset on display brings to the table; it’s not about a peak goalscoring period or perceived purple patch of form, which is why X, Y and Z get earmarked for great things well before they’ve done them - the talent they have means it’s not a surprise if/when realised. Kvaratskhelia comfortably falls into that category, which is why whoever it is that attempts to prise him away from Napoli will know they have to pay an astronomical fee, one which those following the player will not be surprised about.

I covered his constitution and potential pitfalls within that sphere in a previous post; that has nothing to do with his talent and ability, however. He’s displaying top percentile in that regard inside and outside of Serie A, so the league he’s in is only a fraction of why he’s regarded as he is. If he takes the remainder of the CL by storm, his star will only rise further as more are ‘suddenly’ alerted to this ridiculously talented individual.

Fabio Rochemback

Or put Rashford up top and this guy on the left, solves our striker problem too
I don't wanna see Rashford as a lone striker again unless it's an emergency or a tactical decision for a specific game. He is so, so much better on the left.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He reminds me of George Best

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I would love to hear your excuses for his great performance in the CL so far as well.
Nothing about my post is not factual. Its not an excuse to lay out the fact as they are. The last thing Im ever going to defend is not bandwagoning on platitudes. I even state that he could be in the conversation in the future, but 22 league games in is not the appropriate time to conclude that he is a contender. Marcus Rashford had a better output at the same age in a stronger league. That is factual.

No one is taking anything away from his Champions League performances. Its also worth nothing that the CL is full of one season wonders that never reached that same peak after the first year. Milos Krasic is one player who had a phenomenal CL campaign, only to never get anywhere near that level again. He has 2 goals in the CL campaign, one in a 6-1 thrashing against Ajax, the second on a penalty against Ajax in the return leg.

You can aknowledge that the player is a great talent, without having to go full Ballon Dor contender after seeing a player for 22 matchdays.

My point about the player stands. He is having a breakout season. We can look in house for a player with a better breakout season in Marcus Rashford and ask the same question.

Would he absolutely succeed in the Premier League? Stevan Jovetic, Juan Sebastian Veron, Andriy Shevchenko and Juan Cuadrado are just a handful of Serie A starlets that struggled enormously in a differen/stronger league.

Would he be able to have the same impact on a team that is less dominant? In Serie A you tend to get a lot of time on the ball. Can he adapt to agame where that is not the case? He could, but we dont know that yet.

troylocker

Nothing about my post is not factual. Its not an excuse to lay out the fact as they are. The last thing Im ever going to defend is not bandwagoning on platitudes. I even state that he could be in the conversation in the future, but 22 league games in is not the appropriate time to conclude that he is a contender. Marcus Rashford had a better output at the same age in a stronger league. That is factual.

No one is taking anything away from his Champions League performances. Its also worth nothing that the CL is full of one season wonders that never reached that same peak after the first year. Milos Krasic is one player who had a phenomenal CL campaign, only to never get anywhere near that level again. He has 2 goals in the CL campaign, one in a 6-1 thrashing against Ajax, the second on a penalty against Ajax in the return leg.

You can aknowledge that the player is a great talent, without having to go full Ballon Dor contender after seeing a player for 22 matchdays.

My point about the player stands. He is having a breakout season. We can look in house for a player with a better breakout season in Marcus Rashford and ask the same question.

Would he absolutely succeed in the Premier League? Stevan Jovetic, Juan Sebastian Veron, Andriy Shevchenko and Juan Cuadrado are just a handful of Serie A starlets that struggled enormously in a differen/stronger league.

Would he be able to have the same impact on a team that is less dominant? In Serie A you tend to get a lot of time on the ball. Can he adapt to agame where that is not the case? He could, but we dont know that yet.
As much as I love Rashford (and the WC form he is in right now), he's never produced the numbers that Kvicha is producing this season in the league. Yes he's played in a tougher league, but the numbers is not as good, even in his peak season (19/20) where he also had 6 penalty goals.

Here's the numbers:

Rashford (19/20 season age 21/22 - if you can call his 5th season here a breakout season) in the PL:
17 goals (6 pens) and 9 assists in 31 matches (2655 minutes) (transfermarkt assists - includes penalties awarded)
0,58 G/90 - 0,37 npG/90 - 0,31 A/90
Goal contribution per 90: 0,89 G+A/90
Non penalty goal contribution per 90: 0,67 npG+A/90
Non penalty goalthreat (npG+xA/90)
0,55 npG+xA/90 (0,37npG/90 + 0,18xA/90)

Khvicha tihs season in Serie A (age 21 so far):
9 goals (1 pen) and 11 assists in 18 matches (1328 minutes) (transfermarkt assists - includes penalties awarded)
0,61 G/90 - 0,54 npG/90 - 0,75 A/90
Goal contribution per 90: 1,36 G+A/90
Non penalty goal contribution per 90: 1,29 npG+A/90
Non penalty goalthreat (npG+xA/90)
0,95 npG+xA/90 (0,54npG/90 + 0,41xA/90)

Some other context:
Napoli has won 2 Scudettos (Serie A), and both of those were with Maradona more than 30 years ago. They had a good season last season, where they overperformed and many thought they would struggle with key players like Mertens and Insigne leaving. Then they buy this 21 year old from the Georgian League and now they are cruising the CL and is on course to crush Serie A with 100+ points. That's obviously not entirely down to Khvicha, but he has definitely been a major key to their success this season.

Napoli last season vs this season:

Goals per game: 1,94 vs. 2,45
Expected goals per game: 1,67 vs. 2,13

Goals conceded per game: 0,82 vs. 0,68
Expected goals conceded per game: 0,91 vs. 0,84

Points won per game: 2,08 vs. 2,68
Expected points won per game: 1,90 vs. 2,19

They are so much better this season with him and Kim being the biggest variables from last season.

You are right that there is no guarantee that a player doing well one place would do just as well another place, and talk about possible B d'ors is way too early. Impossible to know if he can replicate this level or get even better in the seasons to come, but he has been absolutely fantastic this season. It's allowed to appreciate young "unproven" talents and enjoy their rides up among the stars. I jumped on the Haaland train when he was 17 at Molde, you just knew he was a special kid when you watched him play. Not that sure on Khvicha, but he looks extremely exciting.

Bringing up examples of players not making the cut in the PL is a lazy argument, because you can easily make the opposite argument bringing up players who's made the same switch with success.

Last edited: