Kicking the ball out of play when an opponent is down...

Fully agree with Bristol on this.
If I played for Bristol and saw someone injured I'd kick it out. Hate me, I don't care.
This Norwegian one is tricky...
Because I'd generally side with Bristol's approach... except with regards to goalkeepers.
There are two clubs in Bristol (City and Rovers), you can’t abbreviate Bristol City to Bristol!

It’s like calling Manchester United, Manchester.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
If the clock stopped for injuries, then this would stop being a problem pretty quickly.

9 times out of 10 it's a means of sapping a few minutes, and 9 times out of 10 the player goes off for a quick dab of the magic sponge and then runs full pelt back on to the pitch.

But that is unlikely to change any time soon. So until then, it should be down to the referee and not the team in possession to stop the game, and it shouldn't be up to clubs like Bristol City to be communicating that. It needs to come from the top. Players protesting for the ball to be put out should be carded as well. They're not the referee. They can't be influencing the game like that.

I think what Bristol City are saying they're going to do is right, but I am interested to see how well coached they will be when the shoe is on the other foot and one of their own players is down. I can't imagine they won't be protesting for the ball to be put out. For it to really work, it needs to be official across the board.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They’re absolutely right. It’s for the referee to judge, not the players.

We need an rvn

Yeah now watch their players lose their shit as one of theirs is injured on the pitch, ref doesn't stop the game and the opposing team doesn't kick it out.

I agree with the idea itself, mind.
Don't think this will happen. If they've gone out and made a written statement, the players will be well informed not to expect this from the opposition themselves and to play to the whistle. They'd be stupid if they did

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
For me, it depends on the situation. If you have a scoring chance and a guy is down at the other end of the field, then play on. But if nothing is happening just kick it out. Mind you, if nothing is happening I also think the ref should just blow the whistle. Either way, I'm fine with Bristol doing that. We did the same under SAF...

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Not sure why clubs continued to kick the ball out after the FA made it clear the ref would be the one to stop play for injuries.

I find teams are pressured into it when the opposition of the 'injured' player all stop and start raising their hands. Then if you try to continue, the fans start piping up and eventually 99/100 they'll kick it out.

SerenityValley

I’ve lost count of the times a team has carried on playing when one of their own is down, then they lose possession and expect their opponents to kick the ball out.

Totally agree with Bristol City’s decision. Let the ref manage the game.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
This Norwegian one is tricky...
Because I'd generally side with Bristol's approach... except with regards to goalkeepers.
Tricky one. I get that in the heat of the moment you just go on and score the goal. But after letting it sink in I would allow the other team to march up field and score one themself. It's all about the spirit of the game...

Spielmacher

I wonder why they decided to make an official statement, instead of just doing it, like many teams already are.

tenpoless

How about kick it out if the player who goes down rarely or never dives? but kick the ball into his head if it's someone like Suarez? Appreciate the nice guys who might need a help but punish the diving cnuts and make them pay for it.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Its better than kicking the opponent when he's down.

Oldyella

I’ve lost count of the times a team has carried on playing when one of their own is down, then they lose possession and expect their opponents to kick the ball out.

Totally agree with Bristol City’s decision. Let the ref manage the game.
This! Normally when they are on a break away attack. Then lose their shit when the opposition get the ball and start to build an attack of their own.

Between that and seeing a team roll the ball between players while they are unsure whether to kick the ball out or not, I hope more team follow suit. A 90 minute game doesn't see anywhere near that amount of football as it is, cutting down on time wasting is a good change.

Skills

Snitch
I wonder why they decided to make an official statement, instead of just doing it, like many teams already are.
To get the bullshit 'spirit of the game' crap out of the way now, rather than later in the season. It also lets the refs know, they need to actually do their jobs and can't be relying on them to make calls on injuries on their behalf.

The Villa/Leeds one last season was prime example of what you want to avoid.

Spielmacher

To get the bullshit 'spirit of the game' crap out of the way now, rather than later in the season. It also lets the refs know, they need to actually do their jobs and can't be relying on them to make calls on injuries on their behalf.

The Villa/Leeds one last season was prime example of what you want to avoid.
It could also backfire though and just make them look like knobs, if no other clubs react to it. Fans will still boo their asses off for no reason whatsoever.
I thought the Leeds/Villa incident was just John Terry being a dickhead? No amount of statements can remedy that.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Suits me. More teams should do it before the season kicks off, trust the ref to stop the game not the players and we'll put the whole sorry mess to bed.

Morpheus 7

How clever of Bristol City, this will backfire badly yet. One of there players will do there ACL/bad break and other team will play on and score, then the fans and players will moan. The referee is the one that adds on time, it's a problem of people faking injury but this is just unsporting. Pricks.

montpelier

A player lying on the ground is a problem unless the play carries on, like, away from him for a phase.

It does usually involve stopping the game.

And it isn't really like rugby because that game gets played with people lying on the floor for quite a lot of the time.

Play can carry on until it can't I suppose. Then someone is seriously hurt & what do you do? Nothing to stop this getting noticed, obviously. Which hopefully it does 99 % of the time.

I'm not sure there is an easy answer.

Spielmacher

What?

You realise there are two clubs, Bristol City and Bristol Rovers?
Bristol is the most obvious way to abbreviate Bristol City.
Even if your argument were that the posters' use of 'Bristol' is misleading you would be wrong, as the thread is literally only about one specific team from Bristol and the other team based in Bristol doesn't even play in the same division and has therefore no bearing at all on the conversation.

neilv93

Delighted to see a few fellow Gasheads on the Caf!

Unfortunately though, I completely agree with the midget and teds. I hope all clubs follow suit, including Utd. Sick of seeing players rolling around on the ground holding their ankles after a 50/50 only to see them get up and start sprinting around immediately after a restart from the ball being kicked out sportingly.

Bristol is the most obvious way to abbreviate Bristol City.
Even if your argument were that the posters' use of 'Bristol' is misleading you would be wrong, as the thread is literally only about one specific team from Bristol and the other team based in Bristol doesn't even play in the same division and has therefore no bearing at all on the conversation.
Having lived in Bristol for 30 years you are completly wrong. Given there is not a single person in the entire West Country who would call Bristol City, Bristol - you are simply wrong.

Based on your theory if you have a thread that’s just about Man Utd you can abbreviate it to Manchester. If you are talking about Sheffield Wednesday, you can abbreviate it to Sheffield.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Coming from north Bristol, I’m blue and white squares through and through, so clearly don’t like the red half of Bristol...

However, they are absoubtly spot on, and I hope other clubs follow the lead - the ball should NOT be kicked out if a player is on the floor until the ref blows the whistle - unless someone’s leg is hanging off...

This has been abused for so long - it’s considered unsporting not to kick out the ball (mental), when infact most of the time it’s a player who is faking it on the floor (being in-sporting).
Trying to remember which game in the championship where there was nearly a full on Brawl, did it involve Leeds when they played to the whistle?. Anyway totally agree this unwritten rule is just daft play to the whistle.

Spielmacher

Based on your theory if you have a thread that’s just about Man Utd you can abbreviate it to Manchester. If you are talking about Sheffield Wednesday, you can abbreviate it to Sheffield.
Yes, that's exactly what I perceive as normal.
Same as I would for example find perfectly acceptable if the commentator were to refer to the home team as "Bristol" in a league match between Bristol City and Middlesbrough.

Yes, that's exactly what I perceive as normal.
Same as I would for example find perfectly acceptable if the commentator were to refer to the home team as "Bristol" in a league match between Bristol City and Middlesbrough.
As I say, not a single person in the entire area agrees with you, but just ignore someone with local knowledge.

Spielmacher

As I say, not a single person in the entire area agrees with you, but just ignore someone with local knowledge.
The reason why I'm not getting swayed by your opinion is because I don't think local knowledge has any bearing on the issue. It's more of a general opinion that you should be able to abbreviate things if the context is clear and obvious. Same way I would, for example, in a discussion about activities of the Orange County City Council it not find necessary to point out which City Council I'm talking about in every single mention of the City Council.

Well, that was unnecessary off topic posting once again.

The reason why I'm not getting swayed by your opinion is because I don't think local knowledge has any bearing on the issue. It's more of a general opinion that you should be able to abbreviate things if the context is clear and obvious. Same way I would, for example, in a discussion about activities of the Orange County City Council it not find necessary to point out which City Council I'm talking about in every single mention of the City Council.

Well, that was unnecessary off topic posting once again.
I couldn’t care less whether you agree with me - but when you quote me as saying something stupid, then I’m going to argue my point.

I’m out. Off to watch some highlights of Manchester on YouTube...

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
All clubs should be applying this.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
There was match between United and Liverpool where Liverpool had player down and didn't want to stop the game, they continued with normal play, but as soon as United got in possession they all started to wave hands to put ball out of the field which ref did.

Either you stop the match or you don't, leaving to players to kick it out means sometimes someone will try to take advantage off it.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I assume they won't kick the ball out when they have possession and one of their own is down either?

I'm all for it. If all teams do this, we're at least one small step closer to stopping time-wasting. Next up: 2 halves of 30mins with time stoppage.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Its not up to players to decide if the game should be stopped its the refs, the game would be a better place if everyone agree to play to the whistle.

Siorac

Having lived in Bristol for 30 years you are completly wrong. Given there is not a single person in the entire West Country who would call Bristol City, Bristol - you are simply wrong.

Plenty of people on the continent do so. Up until recently, everyone understood that they were talking about Manchester United. Even now, if City play Spurs, it's obvious who the commentator refers to when he says "Manchester".

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Teams just kick the ball out for chivalry. The decision about an injured player being attended it's on the ref.