Kieran McKenna as our next assistant manager| Simon Stone confirms the promotion

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
He will carry on as Faria replacement and Mourinho will still dictate matters. There will be no change in tactics as Mourinho will stick to his usual way. The only good thing to come out of this could be that more Youth will get a chance.
I am probably just a naive idiot, but i actually think we will see changes.
Mourinho and Faria are friends, and have been coaching togheter for what? 17 years?
By getting rid of one of his friends, it looks to me like Mourinho admits something needs to change to get results.
McKenna isn't going to be the assistant, if i understood things right, Mourinho wanted a group of coaches instead of one Ass.Man. Not sure how that will turn out, guess we have to wait and see.

Kostov

That's still just a Jose moan retrospectively looking back on what he's done and doesn't address any of my points raised about areas for improvement that won't be on McKenna . Do you actually dispute any of those points?

Whether Jose has been here 2 years is inconsequential to Sanchez fitting in or our right wing/full backs being solved. McKenna isn't going to be in charge of our signings or choosing the team.
Attacking play is one of the areas that can be improved if McKenna is given a role to organize it. Anyone who has watched the youth team under him will confirm that he has a very good idea of how to make a team attack. I believe if he is given the freedom to influence our attacking coaching he can improve it.

The claims you make about Sanchez, Pogba, our RW position even the RB and LB positions problems can all be traced back at planning and if reports are believed Jose plans his transfer windows. Just like Matic can be traced to being an excellent signing Alexis so far has been a poor one, whether that is to himself, the coach or both, Mourinho has a most likely. He went and payed premium money for a proven star, now that player in half a season has looked a shadow of his former self. It's too early, but Jose will be held responsible anyway, because our attack hasn't been up to the task.

Pogba, after splashing 90 fecking millions on a player you better know what are you getting and how to use it, otherwise what's the point? 2 years and we still haven't got a preferred formation.

The RW? Why is there still a problem after 2 fecking years? We have a big hole in that positions and he goes and bring Alexis so he can play him LW? Why? Who is here to blame other than the coach?

The full back positions could have been strengthened instead of buying Lindelof and so on.

This wouldn't have to be a Mourinho bashing thread if some of you don't have to defend him to the death. He is our manager, and I want him to stay, but that's doesn't have to exclude him from any blame. He has made some baffling decisions and he should be held responsible.

Kostov

Sure. Ultimately everything we see on the pitch is down to Mourinho, good or bad. The buck stops with him.

I’d just like to think we can discuss McKenna’s influence without the usual bickering about Mourinho.
It's not all down to him, any sane person will now that it's a team effort. But more often than not the leader is the one taking the spotlight. He has done lots of good things, that's why I want him to continue, some of his bad decisions I will hold him responsible.

We could have discussed McKenna's influence without the usual bickering about Mourinho, if someone didn't bring him into the discussion.

And I already reiterated this, any positive influence McKenna brings will come back as a credit to Mourinho for upgrading his coaching team, or at least I will take it as a positive decisions from a well proven winner.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
I'm skeptical. I don't see Mourinho as the type of person to do things differently. He's always been the same everywhere, the only thing we can hope for is more consistent wins, but the football will always be ugly.

Zoo

Almost everyone would have assumed that Jose would have had Faria by his side until the end of his career so any kind of change (even if a minor one) is welcome and hopefully works out well.

Micky Targaryen

I don't know, it's really hard to tell the influence of an assistant manager. I'm hoping that even if we don't start playing free flowing football, we will improve in attack, and credit for that must then go to McKenna
Isn't that the obvious answer? It's simple logic really.

If something would have improved re playing style because of Jose or some of his coaches it would have improved by now, after 2 years working with the players.

If it does suddenly after appointing McKenna, it would be reasonable he is the factor, or maybe Carrick who is also a new influence.
What?

If we do improve our football, it can be due to a number of factors? It could be Carrick, it could be our players deciding to knuckle down and play with more urgency, it could be because of our new signings, it could be I don't know, our manager, one of the finest tacticians of the game, deciding to tweak his tactics, it could even be Ribalta ffs. So no, the logic is not that simple.

My point is that improvements can be due to any reasons and not as absolute as you imagine it to be. Certainly doesn't warrant a McKenna performances thread. If so, we might as well form threads for the rest of our coaching staff too.

If we do improve our football, credit goes to Jose and the coaching staff, as well as the players. Not just McKenna.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
People expecting our tactics to change cause of him are dreaming.
Where he might be influential is helping the attackers improve individually...better, runs, better understanding of the game, better decision making. Sterling and Sane have spoken about how Arteta has improved their games. We can only hope for something similar.

Kostov

What?

If we do improve our football, it can be due to a number of factors? It could be Carrick, it could be our players deciding to knuckle down and play with more urgency, it could be because of our new signings, it could be I don't know, our manager, one of the finest tacticians of the game, deciding to tweak his tactics, it could even be Ribalta ffs. So no, the logic is not that simple.

My point is that improvements can be due to any reasons and not as absolute as you imagine it to be. Certainly doesn't warrant a McKenna performances thread. If so, we might as well form threads for the rest of our coaching staff too.

If we do improve our football, credit goes to Jose and the coaching staff, as well as the players. Not just McKenna.
I already mentioned Carrick, since I believe he could have some influence as I do with McKenna.

Do you realize how ridiculous that bolted part looks? Our players deciding to knuckle down and play with more urgency? What have they been doing for 2 years? And if they weren't giving their best what the feck was the manager doing?

A club like Manchester United can't rely it's well being to a certain players willingness to knuckle down and play for our shirt. That's why we have a well proven manager to lead them through, motivate them and select the ones that defend our interest the best. If some of them does not perform to their best limit, they should be shown the door, and if the manager does not do the same, so shall he.

Yes it could be down to a new player I agree, but we are talking about our playing structure. If there is an evident improvement in the way we play it could easily be attributed to a new coaching influence, whether is that to McKenna or Carrick. I don't know why is that so scandalous.

Then you go and mention Ribalta, yeah his influence is showing, in our transfer targets not in the way the team will play next season.

And no nobody said it's an absolute that is down to one or another, it's just the most probable.

red thru&thru

So let me just make sure I got this correct...

The fans have been moaning about how Jose is a dinosaur with his tactics. He makes changes to his coaching team, whether forced or unforced to. He promotes a coach within the ranks, who's team has been praised for their attacking play, to join the first team. Usually, when a coach has been asked to join the managers team, he is there for a reason...to bring his expertise to the team.

So what makes people believe that Jose will not utilize McKenna's strengths?

breakout67

Supports
Man City

The fans have been moaning about how Jose is a dinosaur with his tactics. He makes changes to his coaching team, whether forced or unforced to. He promotes a coach within the ranks, who's team has been praised for their attacking play, to join the first team. Usually, when a coach has been asked to join the managers team, he is there for a reason...to bring his expertise to the team.

Because Jose is a stubborn dinosaur and will have a meltdown next season. Hopefully McKenna and Carrick can steady the ship as caretaker managers next season.

white text

Rash Decision

not to use the cream

Jose said he doesn't like trained coaches and prefers to mould them to his own thinking. He's probably intending to turn McKenna into another Rui Faria. Just kidding.

red thru&thru

Jose said he doesn't like trained coaches and prefers to mould them to his own thinking. He's probably intending to turn McKenna into another Rui Faria. Just kidding.
I get that but you have to take it with a pinch of salt. He might mould them but he won't be able to change them as coaches.

red thru&thru

4 years it's a lot of time. Van Gaal won a lot of big triphies too in the past.
SAF didn't win a title for a lot longer than that and he was hailed as a revolutionary manager. Just seems different standards seem to apply to different managers.

Mainoldo

Because he’s still actively coaching himself and the coaches drop is to deliver the managers ideas. Therefore how is he going to bring his attacking expertise if it doesn’t fit in with what the manger wants.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Because he’s still actively coaching himself and the coaches drop is to deliver the managers ideas. Therefore how is he going to bring his attacking expertise if it doesn’t fit in with what the manger wants.
I'd say the fact that Mourinho hired him is a pretty good indication that he does fit in with what the manager wants. And if the great attacking football he had our U-18s playing wasn't the main reason that Mourinho hired him, then what was?

Mainoldo

I'd say the fact that Mourinho hired him is a pretty good indication that he does fit in with what the manager wants. And if the great attacking football he had our U-18s playing wasn't the main reason that Mourinho hired him, then what was?
I don’t think a conservative coach actually seems themselves that way. Otherwise you could ask the question why buy Pogba and Mkhitaryan but not know how to use them.

JMack1234

I very much doubt Jose will change his style of play because he's made a couple of new coaching appointments.

The only thing that gives me some hope is that Jose will realise what an important job this is for him and his survival instincts will kick in. Think about it...when he leaves us he's done England. Arsenal hate him. Chelsea...no way, ditto Liverpool, ditto City he could possibly go to Spurs but i'd doubt it.

So then in Europe, he could go Atletico I guess but that's it. Then he has Bayern in Germany and maybe PSG but they've just appointed Tuchel who I think will there for a while.

Plus, if the worst but very possible happens and we play awful football and finish miles away from the title, Mourinho is not going to be first choice for these clubs. So hopefully Jose will realise that for him it's important that he plays nice football and if we do fail next season then we fail with some je ne sais quoi.

Art Vandelay

Hopefully his influence improves the movement in the final third and our transitions.

Do we need a thread to discuss how Martial feels about the appointment? White text

Seven Seas Sardines

I think some people on this thread are being too optimistic about the influence McKenna will have on Mourinho's tactics and style of play.

But I think McKenna, indeed Carrick too, can help improve the consistency and performance of individual players.
Yeah, hoping that Martial and Shaw among others finally get someone who can keep them happy and on their toes.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don't understand why so many people seem to think it's either what we have been doing or a complete change of style to a far more attacking system. There's a huge gap in between.

Equally, I don't understand why so many people seem to think what we've been doing is what Mourinho wants us to do.

Look at all his previous teams. All of them, with the possible exception of Real Madrid, were primarily defence-first based teams (and even they were more defensive than normal). But all of them were also significantly better and more effective at attacking than what we have been. They were all capable of destroying teams on the counter-attack, and when they attacked they could rip teams apart. Hell, we ourselves were doing it to some extent in the first few months of last season.

There's not a doubt in the world that that is where Mourinho wants us. That doesn't require huge changes. We will continue to be focused firstly on staying strong at the back, but Mourinho will obviously want us to improve significantly with our transition from defence into attack and also our general speed of play and decision making when attacking. That's where we'll be hoping McKenna, Carrick and the others can improve things.

ghagua

Taking a thread off topic
Not only are our attacking players being ruined, now we are going to start ruining any young coach with good attacking football ideas. All hail Mourinho!

MrPooni

Not only are our attacking players being ruined, now we are going to start ruining any young coach with good attacking football ideas. All hail Mourinho!
After 5 days of pre-season training FFS :lol:

Kearnkoff69

What is this even supposed to mean, and what spurred such an outlandish post?

SER19

You should genuinely ask for yourself to be banned. It might save you shred of dignity after making this abomination of a post.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Mourinho's comments pretty much confirm to me that they won't have much impact on the playing style.
Where the impact might come is individually on the players.

deafepl

At least Chong is Mckenna players, he attacked better and better at off-ball movement and has better crosses, hope he won't become Jose player, clueless in attacking, wanting the ball at feet and try to dribble players and suddenly got dispossessed then repeat again

ghagua

You should genuinely ask for yourself to be banned. It might save you shred of dignity after making this abomination of a post.
Lots of people needed to be surgically extracted after LvG was fired.