Kieran McKenna as our next assistant manager| Simon Stone confirms the promotion

Tiber

If you have huge inside info... weird to drop it in a reddit comment

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Jose has a history of taking on young guys onto his coaching staff (Faria, AVB). I think it comes from the fact that he was a young guy himself who Bobby Robson took a chance on way back when.
I can see it happening and it may well be a masterstroke by Mourinho, I just feel the club would be better served by Kieran staying with the 18s for next season at least and seeing if he can repeat this season success with the new intake, then naturally move up to the 23s the season after, after that well....

Canagel

Puts a lot of emphasis on quick transitions, retaining possession and link up play, the U18s are capable of counter attacking or boxing in the opposing teams well and are very good at working the ball into the box.
Sounds very positive indeed. Everything that we are missing in the first team. It doesn't take 500 million pounds to play good football. If we see an improvement in our playing style next season then he should be one of the main candidates to take over after Mourinho is gone.

Last edited:

Bwuk

Would be good news for the likes of Chong/Gomes as well.

Seriously surprised but very happy with this if its true.

Acole9

Outstanding
I wouldn't get too excited if this is true. Remember, he's reporting to Mourinho and offering suggestions, he's not going to have final say. You won't see an influx of academy graduates.

haram

I wouldn't get too excited if this is true. Remember, he's reporting to Mourinho and offering suggestions, he's not going to have final say. You won't see an influx of academy graduates.
Anyone expecting Chong to suddenly be playing every week is just deluded. Mourinho or no Mourinho.

Hawks2008

Can't say I know much about him or the u-18's but this is interesting if true. Being groomed for the top job down the line?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Nothing will come of him, same as every other youth coach we've had. Might be a useful assistant.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Was saying in the Rui Faria thread that this could signal a change in style...maybe

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Very nice if he has managed to impress enough to get this job. But lets not kid ourself, Mou will not hire a 32 year old with experience from youth football to alter his approach or way of football.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Bold if true. Assistant manager is not a PR role. It means something.

Womp

idiot
Why would Mourinho greenlight hiring an assistant who he had no intention of working with or learning from. Of course he's going to work in tandem with his assistant ffs.

Assistant is a huge role, most are known to run training sessions etc., I doubt Jose would work with one who is so attacking minded if he was intent on being stuck on his ways and not evolving.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Eh, it could work. Still happy to embrace the change. He's only a bit younger than some players who go on to be actual managers.

POF

I am shocked at this. I opened the thread expecting it to be a poster's opinion rather than a genuine possibility.

I think it will be fantastic experience for McKenna. My impression is that he is very good at developing players but is quite tactically naive. The u18 final vs Chelsea was won by the more "savvy" team.

Being tactically naive doesn't matter much at u18 level because it is all about player development but, if stepping up, working with Jose will be great for him from a tactical perspective.

I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing. He would bring fresh energy to the first team picture and would appear to be a good long term prospect. Hopefully they will do a better job of replacing him than they did with Joyce and the u23s.

Womp

idiot
I am shocked at this. I opened the thread expecting it to be a poster's opinion rather than a genuine possibility.

I think it will be fantastic experience for McKenna. My impression is that he is very good at developing players but is quite tactically naive. The u18 final vs Chelsea was won by the more "savvy" team.

Being tactically naive doesn't matter much at u18 level because it is all about player development but, if stepping up, working with Jose will be great for him from a tactical perspective.

I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing. He would bring fresh energy to the first team picture and would appear to be a good long term prospect. Hopefully they will do a better job of replacing him than they did with Joyce and the u23s.
Mckenna developing the players and their game would be great as there isn't a better manager in World football when it comes to the tactical aspect than Mourinho. Hopefully if this is true, it is the start of a good partnership.

mav_9me

Very surprised if this turns out to be true. Usually managers pick their no.2s. This feels like the club choosing and Mourinho agreeing. Maybe Mourinho picked him which would be a huge endorsement for him. We shall see.

mav_9me

Very surprised if this turns out to be true. Usually managers pick their no.2s. This feels like the club choosing and Mourinho agreeing. Maybe Mourinho picked him which would be a huge endorsement for him. We shall see.

ash_86

Mckenna developing the players and their game would be great as there isn't a better manager in World football when it comes to the tactical aspect than Mourinho. Hopefully if this is true, it is the start of a good partnership.
Yes. Leave the tactics to the Special one. Mckenna just needs to focus on the buildup and attacking bit.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Nicky Butt has said in recent interviews that Mourinho has taken a great interest in our youth academy so it's likely Mourinho got word from Rui that he was moving on at the end of the season and Mourinho is so impressed with the work McKenna has done with the U-18 team he wants him as assistant. I highly doubt the club have forced Mourinho into this.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
mou did the same at Inter. He promoted beppe baresi from the youths and he involved him so much that later on he stood up to mancinu for criticising his former boss. That nearly costed his career and saw him relegated from assistant manager to mere scout

Tarrou

People are saying he's attacking which is great but beyond that what is his general style of play?

Okey

Jose has a history of taking on young guys onto his coaching staff (Faria, AVB). I think it comes from the fact that he was a young guy himself who Bobby Robson took a chance on way back when.
Exactly. Faria joined Jose at 25 didn't he? Like Jose did with Sir Bobby. You wouldn't think Mourinho would change his philosophy this late in his career but who knows? Something good may come of this. I wonder what role is planned for Carrick though...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I keep hearing about McKenna having a lot of managerial potential. If a boyhood United fan who is attack minded in his approach has that, then I'd like to see us consider grooming him as a replacement for Mourinho.

Ace of Spades

Now this is exciting news. If this does happen, who will be the one taking his place in the academy, he did some real good work there.

ash_86

People are saying he's attacking which is great but beyond that what is his general style of play?
Puts a lot of emphasis on quick transitions, retaining possession and link up play, the U18s are capable of counter attacking or boxing in the opposing teams well and are very good at working the ball into the box.