Kieran McKenna / Ipswich manager

SAFMUTD

Not really, because there is not a single chance a premiership team is going to take on an unheralded coach with no experience in management.

Managing at a third division side means you have an opportunity to progress in the field of management if you do well. Relevant experience.
It happened with Arteta.

Duane Dibley

Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Great opportunity at a great club. Will follow with interest to see how he does.
What? They're a complete basket-case of a club (and coming from a Wednesday supporter that's saying something), they were already in a bad enough state and Paul Cook has left them even worse.

No sane manager will go anywhere near them and would be a terrible choice for a first management job.

He'll need more than good luck if he's to succeed there.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Hopefully he goes there and plays some good football.

Would shut up a lot of the armchair coaches/managers in here
It’s not about armchair coaching though, is it?

He and Carrick were key men in a regime that saw some woeful team performances. They were tasked with coaching the first team players and during that time…

Maguire - Regressed
Shaw - Stalled
AWB - Stalled
Martial - Regressed
Rashford - Regressed

By the time we were getting tanked at home by our biggest rivals, you could really only argue that Greenwood improved as a player in that three year period.

It’s been an atrocious “coaching” performance from the Ole team, regardless of the reasons. I hope they all move on and have good careers, but they failed here. Doing better elsewhere won’t change the result they had here and won’t shut anyone up.

Castia

Yessss

Rumour his sessions looked something from the lower league level so he’ll do well.

Dont Let the door hit you in bollocks on the way out.

Abraxas

It happened with Arteta.
That's why I said unheralded. McKenna is a nobody in football, his reputation is solely derived from his coaching, which has come under some fire.

Perceptions matter a lot with these types of things and even if you are a top player it doesn't mean you're going to be the lucky one that gets handed something. There's dozens out there doing nothing.

Your suggested career path is not the quick route to premiership management, the slim chance he has of doing that is by showing he can manage - that's quite obvious. A chairman likes to see a manager that can demonstrably manage but occasionally somebody will gamble on a marketable name. McKenna falls squarely into the category of needing to show himself.

SAFMUTD

What a bizarre take. It's a managerial job at a big club who have been performing way below their level over the past few years.

As for the arrogance of "coaches need to start up somewhere, but 3rd dvision" comment. fecking disgusting frankly. 3rd division is a lot higher than where the majority of coaches in this country start out unless they've played a high level.
I'm not diminishing the third division, it's just that I thought we all agreed that coaching a club like Manchester United would give you credentials to aim higher.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Surprised they're going for him rather than Carrick but there you go, good luck to him if he gets the job.
McKenna has experience managing, albeit at U18 level.

SAFMUTD

That's why I said unheralded. McKenna is a nobody in football, his reputation is solely derived from his coaching, which has come under some fire.

Perceptions matter a lot with these types of things and even if you are a top player it doesn't mean you're going to be the lucky one that gets handed something. There's dozens out there doing nothing.

Your suggested career path is not the quick route to premiership management, the slim chance he has of doing that is by showing he can manage - that's quite obvious. A chairman likes to see a manager that can demonstrably manage but occasionally somebody will gamble on a marketable name. McKenna falls squarely into the category of needing to show himself.
I totally agree with you, I just thought McKenna could aim for a championship job. League One level is so far from premier league that is going to take a lot of impressive results over many years so anyone in the premier league notices him.

stevoc

If this is true, it means RR is here to stay longer than 6 months as manager. No management going to allow any interim this much freedom to overhaul the whole full setup. That leaves Phelan. Always thought he was more manager material than mckenna. But okay.
I'm somewhat sceptical United haven't been too organized on the football front for a decade. And with Woodward already having one foot out the door maybe no one is steering the ship so Ralf is being allowed to do whatever he wants as a result.

Abraxas

It's actually a massive gamble from Ipswich rather than McKenna.

They're basically saying they think he's earnt a good reputation in the game and he's coached at a big club so he's a good option.

But there isn't any tangible link between McKenna and good football at senior level. There's no direct evidence that he's crap either, it's only inferred from or maybe even conflated with the performance of managers, but still...you have to say there isn't anything great to go on.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
McKenna has experience managing, albeit at U18 level.
Yeah that's not remotely the same, it's just coaching and maybe a little bit of admin for tours and stuff. Management means you're responsible for a lot more than just that and with a lot more pressure too.

red_de_pologne

It’s not about armchair coaching though, is it?

He and Carrick were key men in a regime that saw some woeful team performances. They were tasked with coaching the first team players and during that time…

Maguire - Regressed
Shaw - Stalled
AWB - Stalled
Martial - Regressed
Rashford - Regressed

By the time we were getting tanked at home by our biggest rivals, you could really only argue that Greenwood improved as a player in that three year period.

It’s been an atrocious “coaching” performance from the Ole team, regardless of the reasons. I hope they all move on and have good careers, but they failed here. Doing better elsewhere won’t change the result they had here and won’t shut anyone up.
He's been in the form of his life / improved massively under Ole & Co.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The Carrick who only announced a week ago that he wants a break from football to focus on his family?
Yes. That guy. Well, actually the one who did that 2 weeks ago but close enough.

Robertd0803

Interesting move for him. If it works out he will be in the window for a job further up the football league down the line.

JB7

I'm not diminishing the third division, it's just that I thought we all agreed that coaching a club like Manchester United would give you credentials to aim higher.
Well, I think we have to be fair here and say that Ipswich aren't really a traditional third tier club. They're a big club who are a great opportunity for someone like McKenna because they have new owners who will back him and be looking to go back up to the Championship, as well as a squad that has been underperforming this season. They're only 9 points off the play-offs so it's perfectly reasonable to see them making the play-offs this season all goes well and realistically a promotion in his first 18 months would look great on his CV going forward.

I highly doubt he'd have had the same level of interest in the Shrewsbury job for example.

Denis79

I like it for the reason that it shows some planning from our club, get it ready for the new manager to be able to bring his own team in.

Abraxas

I like it for the reason that it shows some planning from our club, get it ready for the new manager to be able to bring his own team in.
Does it?

Isn't it as simple as Ipswich have shown interest and we're willing to release him?

It's not like we've stuck him on eBay!

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I guess all those who have been asking are about to find out what Kieran McKenna does! :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Seems like it would be a good move for him. Would be interested to see how he does.

SAFMUTD

Well, I think we have to be fair here and say that Ipswich aren't really a traditional third tier club. They're a big club who are a great opportunity for someone like McKenna because they have new owners who will back him and be looking to go back up to the Championship, as well as a squad that has been underperforming this season. They're only 9 points off the play-offs so it's perfectly reasonable to see them making the play-offs this season all goes well and realistically a promotion in his first 18 months would look great on his CV going forward.

I highly doubt he'd have had the same level of interest in the Shrewsbury job for example.
Well that's true, he must be aiming to manage in the championship in the short term and Ipswich has the resources for it.

Either way I dont think Ipswich would keep with him if they're not clear candidates to go up next season. So I don't think he'll stay more than 18 months in league one, he either goes up or they'll sack him.

United in sin

Best news this week for us. I'm genuinely surprised a man heralded as one of the best young coaches in Europe would take this position. Now we'll see what he's really made of.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Yeah that's not remotely the same, it's just coaching and maybe a little bit of admin for tours and stuff. Management means you're responsible for a lot more than just that and with a lot more pressure too.
You don’t seriously think that’s all an U18 manager at a Category One academy does, do you?

Corridor of Uncertainty

Damned United II

Follows the incredible story of Ipswich Towns meteoric rise under manager Kieran McKenna, as they conquer at home before being crowned back to back European Champions.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Happy he's leaving. Our football has been terrible for a long time and it only seemed to get worse after he was promoted.

Nick7

Oh good another thread where clueless fans think they know absolutely everything about coaching.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I wonder who our players will blame when he leaves. Probably Chris Armas.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Not really, because there is not a single chance a premiership team is going to take on an unheralded coach with no experience in management.

Managing at a third division side means you have an opportunity to progress in the field of management if you do well. Relevant experience.
Southgate had no experience at coaching at any level when he took the Boro job.

Viali was player/manager at Chelsea.

If we count interims, there's loads more.

CraftySoAndSo

Good luck to him if he chooses to go. Bearing in mind only a few years ago he was highly regarded in the game and that won't of changed being part of an under performing Manchester United, he's still a coach at Manchester United for crying out loud. You don't get here by being a dud and wasn't brought in because of past United connections unlike some coaches.
Worth noting though while he is a talented youth coach, coaching kids and coaching senior pros is an entirely different matter. But could do well at a club who try to put emphasis on bringing young players up into the first team.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He's been in the form of his life / improved massively under Ole & Co.
He had a purple patch and, since the Euros, is right back to where he was before. He is having a poor season.

passtheball

Good riddance if true.

He is one of the coaches who were "hurt" at the criticism that followed the Leicester and Liverpool humiliations. Enjoy the obscurity at Ipswich.

AndySmith1990

How taking a managerial work from a third division team is a "great opportunity"?

I mean coaches need to start up somewhere, but 3rd division? No matter how well he does no premier team will look into it, the best he can aim it's either going up with Ipswich to the championship or doing well enough so a championship team notice him.

I think it's a step down really, my logic says you're closer to manage a premier league team if you work as a coach in a top team than as a manager of a third division team.
If he's good enough there's no reason he can't work his way up to the Premier league.

Seij

As much as people keep saying how highly rated he is in the "coaching circle", he has held an integral role in the two failed regimens. In fact, I feel like the team started going downhill after he replaced Faria. Maybe he really is a great coach and is unfairly being blamed for the mistakes of his bosses. It will actually be much better for him to go build some experience and prove himself. Best of luck to him.