Kieran McKenna / Ipswich manager

Ralph1386

Anyway yes. As a wise man once said; Ralph1386, you have no authority here, no authority at all.
Look at you on a Saturday morning trying to give yourself some importance in an anonymous public forum :lol:

What authority are you talking about? You’re trying to tell another member to leave because you don’t share his opinion. I was merely being sarcastic and you try to turn this discussion over who should take orders from who:houllier:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
On the contrary. He's been here 3 years. And i dont like what i see on the pitch. If he cant show progress in 3 years what's another 6 months?

I'm juat sick of accepting mediocrity. This is how we ended up with jones and martial because we're too tippy tappy and becoming too sentimental.

He's a bad coach, deal with it.

He'll get sacked within 6 months and will end up in qatar
:lol: in a forum of childish posts this stands out.

JB7

I honestly doubt he'd even have considered the offer if Solskjaer was still here and right after signing a long term contract. Solskjaer gave him and Carrick a sizeable amount of autonomy.
Cool, and I would bet my mortgage that you are wrong and that he would have taken the job.

TheReligion

Abusive
Look at you on a Saturday morning trying to give yourself some importance in an anonymous public forum :lol:

What authority are you talking about? You’re trying to tell another member to leave because you don’t share his opinion. I was merely being sarcastic and you try to turn this discussion over who should take orders from who:houllier:

TheReligion

Abusive
In my experience us communists just ruin Christmas while achieving nothing but annoyance, so I'm abstaining. And as I'm here now, I may as well see how it all pans out.
I hope to see a festive post of Christmas so we can exchange greetings.

Nice to see you around ;)

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Sure. Wanna bet how far he can take ipswich town? 10 dollar to the charity you pick.
I honestly don't care, I just think it's funny you think you know. RIP Intellectual humility :lol:

passing-wind

Evidence of McKenna, Carrick being good coaches can only be viewed via the team's performances which have been dreadful.

It doesn't mean he's going to be a bad manager, but a good stint at Ipswich doesn't signify any credit to being a decent coach at United senior level. Carlos Queiroz is a good example that coaching and management in some context is mutually exclusive.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Evidence of McKenna, Carrick being good coaches can only be viewed via the team's performances which have been dreadful.

It doesn't mean he's going to be a bad manager, but a good stint at Ipswich doesn't signify any credit to being a decent coach at United senior level. Carlos Queiroz is a good example that coaching and management in some context is mutually exclusive.
Mckenna is 35 years old. He was plucked from the youth academy in his early 30s and was thrown into the deep end to coach WC players who were around his age. Carrick had no coaching experience prior of becoming United's first team coach and then assistant manager.

They were promoted by a broody manager who was actively trying to get sacked the moment he gave them the job and were kept into the job by his replacement who couldn't be arsed doing the coaching himself and would go on holiday in the middle of a crisis leaving them alone. So seriously lets not blame this on these two guys. Their career progression was horrible tbh.

Judas

Open to offers
On the contrary. He's been here 3 years. And i dont like what i see on the pitch. If he cant show progress in 3 years what's another 6 months?

I'm juat sick of accepting mediocrity. This is how we ended up with jones and martial because we're too tippy tappy and becoming too sentimental.

So much rage over....Kieran McKenna :lol: so oddly weird.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
So why are we so bad the past 3 years? Oh... ole... oh he doesnt train the boys... it must be carrick. Oh wait... carrick is actually brilliant wasnt he....

Maybe it's the water... or maybe... he wasn't such a marvelous coach after all.
You had asked about the myth that he was a good coach.

roseguy64

Why did you ignore the post showing that at Chelsea multiple coaches have stayed on through multiple managers? Are they all bad coaches too? Is every coach associated with bad performances a bad coach?

Didn't know coaches were the ones in charge of making decisions like that instead of the manager/head coach. They get paid less for it too. That sucks.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Why did you ignore the post showing that at Chelsea multiple coaches have stayed on through multiple managers? Are they all bad coaches too? Is every coach associated with bad performances a bad coach?

Didn't know coaches were the ones in charge of making decisions like that instead of the manager/head coach. They get paid less for it too. That sucks.
Maybe because Chelsea coach is a "proper" coach? And wasn't a jacked up promotion? And who knows, maybe the managers have no problem with them because they're doing their job optimally?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Also I don't get this "PR" thing and "hiding behind manager". Did he give any interview blaming Ole? Have you ever seen coaches getting shit like McKenna and Carrick got when manager failed?
It's mostly posters that used Ole's failure as a hiding place for McKenna, it's not him doing it specifically, well not frequently anyway the only PR thing he did recently was when there were articles about how highly rated he is when the intertim manager position was up for grabs. I also don't get it when some tried to justify keeping McKenna because he was not the manager. It's kinda unfair on Ole and yes I wanted Ole out as well. Anyway I'm not shitting on McKenna. Best of luck to his managerial career but I was leaning towards United replacing him regardless of him being offered a managerial position elsewhere or not.

Was McKenna manager or Ole and Jose? How do you know what level of role he played?
He was a coach. So it's safe to assume it's closely related to the performances of the team over a long period of time.

End of the day, it's the manager who is responsible for performances, team is always reflection of manager's vision. Not coaches'.
The coaches are also responsible for the coaching part (thanks Michael Owen). If after 2-3 years the players still looked like they could barely string passes together then I'd say the coaches are also to blame and a huge one at that. They failed at the implementation part, unless if Ole specifically told them to, which I doubt.

Also if the rumors are to be believed, he's only good at handling young players but not the senior ones. That shouldn't work at a big club. A big club tend to always have senior players. I remember him trying to show something to Ronaldo on the sidelines against Newcastle (?) and Ronaldo didn't even look at the piece of paper.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's mostly posters that used Ole's failure as a hiding place for McKenna, it's not him doing it specifically, well not frequently anyway the only PR thing he did recently was when there were articles about how highly rated he is when the intertim manager position was up for grabs. I also don't get it when some tried to justify keeping McKenna because he was not the manager. It's kinda unfair on Ole and yes I wanted Ole out as well. Anyway I'm not shitting on McKenna. Best of luck to his managerial career but I was leaning towards United replacing him regardless of him being offered a managerial position elsewhere or not.

He was a coach. So it's safe to assume it's closely related to the performances of the team over a long period of time.

The coaches are also responsible for the coaching part (thanks Michael Owen). If after 2-3 years the players still looked like they could barely string passes together then I'd say the coaches are also to blame and a huge one at that. They failed at the implementation part, unless if Ole specifically told them to, which I doubt.

Also if the rumors are to be believed, he's only good at handling young players but not the senior ones. That shouldn't work at a big club. A big club tend to always have senior players. I remember him trying to show something to Ronaldo on the sidelines against Newcastle (?) and Ronaldo didn't even look at the piece of paper.
Good to see you have ignored Lampard's coaching staff. So all these coaches suddenly remembered how to coach once Tuchel was hired?

We can't string passes together as Ole wanted direct football, it's like blaming Jose's coaches for not playing possession football when the manager himself believes "Teams with possession makes more mistakes".

Not sure how some article saying he is highly rated a PR stunt, we brought him from Spurs as he was highly rated youth coach, he did so well for U18s that Jose decided to promote him to first team. It's not even club decision, Duncan Castles (Jose's mouthpiece) wrote article saying Jose chose to promote McKenna.

Anyways point is people have 0 insights on the coaches role and their abilities, so it's weird that people are getting riled up by backroom staff.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
Exactly, it's so odd people are getting riled up by backroom staff when no one even knows what they do and what level of control they have. I have never seen this happening before or at any other club.

roseguy64

Maybe because Chelsea coach is a "proper" coach? And wasn't a jacked up promotion? And who knows, maybe the managers have no problem with them because they're doing their job optimally?
Okay. Well you know better than everyone else I guess.

roseguy64

Exactly, it's so odd people are getting riled up by backroom staff when no one even knows what they do and what level of control they have. I have never seen this happening before or at any other club.
The only coaches at other clubs I know are the former players like Toure, Arteta, Terry, Jordan, etc. No one focuses on the coaches. The blame falls on the manager every time. For good reason. No one cares about the competency of the coaches.

Danish Wizard

I really don't understand all this hate towards McKenna, Carrick and the rest of the backroom staff. Only very few people actually know how the training sessions went, who did what and so on.
We haven't won the amount of trophies we were used to under Sir Alex. But that is not entirely down to the coaching staff. A lot of people have huge expectations to McKenna and have praised his abilities. He did brilliant with the U18's a few years ago. Just because the first team haven't won trophies, is not down to him being a failure. A bit of perspective please lads, even though I know it's too much to ask these days..
Best of luck to McKenna at Ipswich.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The simple fact is nobody on here knows anything about his coaching ability. The greatest brains and coaches can fail due to circumstances beyond their control. There is a myriad of reasons why the results could have suffered and to question a single person from a big group of people running the club is not reasonable.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
100% I'll eat my humble pie if required
No need. Even if he is a great coach, failure can happen due to circumstances beyond his control. Many great brains have not always been successful in management.

roonster09

Scout
100% I'll eat my humble pie if required
Why? Coaching and manager is 2 different jobs. One of the most highly rated coach at ManUtd, Rene was a failure as a manager.

There is no way anyone can be proven right or wrong as none of them attend training sessions and even if they do (let's be honest here) everyone is clueless about training sessions at PL level.

devips

As someone here has already said : in a forum of mostly childish threads, this thread stands out for its mostly childish contents!

Chairman Steve

Upon reflection of whats been written, it feels like McKenna got massively thrown into the deep end by the Solskjaer regime. Solskjaer doesnt coach. Nor does Assistant Manager Phelan… so it’s just down to him and recently retired Carrick to coach the first team.

McKenna is an accomplished youth team coach at Spurs and Utd and then went straight into coaching some marquee, reputable names in the first team, who he was not much older than, or is younger than.

I wish him all the best for the future though.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
What Ralf Rangnick and Man Utd players thought about Kieran McKenna before exit

The German took over from Solskjaer earlier this month and, so far, has won two of his first three matches in the role.
McKenna was said to have been ‘more than capable of delivering string coaching and development messages’, while also driving ‘technological advances’.
It’s stated many players will now miss McKenna and feel he didn’t deserve the criticism that went his way.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I really don't understand all this hate towards McKenna, Carrick and the rest of the backroom staff. Only very few people actually know how the training sessions went, who did what and so on.
We haven't won the amount of trophies we were used to under Sir Alex. But that is not entirely down to the coaching staff. A lot of people have huge expectations to McKenna and have praised his abilities. He did brilliant with the U18's a few years ago. Just because the first team haven't won trophies, is not down to him being a failure. A bit of perspective please lads, even though I know it's too much to ask these days..
I don't blame him for us not winning trophies, it happens. Even the best manager don't always win everything.

I blame him for being given the responsibility (along with Carrick if we trust Solskjaer words that he doesn't handle training) and fail to show any resemblance of tactics and working formation, disjointed performance, poor and declining collective individual performance, and lack of changes. Yes, the tactics depends on the manager, but the pressing, positioning, basic passing, teamwork etc. are the works of coaches.

Good luck for Ipswich? Sure.
Good Riddance? Sure.
Do I Hate him? Nope. I don't hate footballers, it's just a game of football.
Do I dislike him? Not really, I don't know him personally
Do I like his work with us? Nope, it's abymal
Can he do better? Maybe, let's see. But that doesn't erase the fact that his work with us has been terrible
Was it his fault? or was it Ole? Or Carrick? I don't know, but all 3 of them collectively are doing a bad job.
Was it double standard? Yes. Do we afford all this "oh he deserves some respect, we don't know how it went in the training, it's not his fault, etc" towards Faria, Lumpsden, and whoever coach Moyes brought? Maybe if people stop bringing how good he "hypothetically" is and just wish him well people won't be so riled up about this. People here has been mocking phelan, phelan's shorts, what does phelan does on weekly basis and making him a household jokes, but when people actually said good riddance when they leave we got told to "respect" them?

roonster09

Scout
Maybe if people stop bringing how good he "hypothetically" is and just wish him well people won't be so riled up about this.
People get riled up because few ManUtd fans rate McKenna highly? :lol:

Maybe they rate him highly as they saw his work for U18s and how good it was.

roonster09

Scout
Good post. Apparently people are riled up because few rate McKenna highly, what a weird reasoning.