Kieran McKenna / Ipswich manager

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

United in sin

I'd like to see the players speak out for him themselves. There were contrary reports about players bemoaning the standard of his 'basic' and 'too British' training sessions and I find those more believable than your story owing to the poor standards we've been treated to on the pitch for these last three years

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1239207/Man-Utd-news-training-concerns-basic-British

"Manchester United players have concerns over the current training ground set up and believe the coaching is ‘too basic’ and ‘very British’. There are also concerns over Kieran McKenna’s influence and players reportedly fear he has too much control.

McKenna is first team coach for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer but the Mirror report that United players are concerned about his regimes and feel the technical coaching is not up to scratch."

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The reason we failed this season is because we went all out attack with Ronadlo up top and with everyone else apart from Bruno and Fred walking around him. Ole/the club foolishly though adding Varane would somehow hold all of that together while we figured it out. It was a major tactical mistake. If we weren’t going to press we should have at least attempted to kept it tight and gradually add players who were getting fitness back and slowly bed the new arrivals into the team and then opened up as confidence grew. Also too many of the current players are soft, over paid and lazy (like our owners, I think the malaise truly does seep down and the players probably thought what the hell they might even get another few years grace under a new manager) I’m sure most of them are ready to throw anyone under the bus to keep their deals for as long as possible. Too many of them have outstayed their welcome by a long time or are being way overpaid relative to their true market value from a purely sporting perspective. I knew it when I heard the coaching was “too British”. I’m Irish so I got a bit of a chuckle but lads, you’re playing for an English team. British coaching should be the least of your worries. If I was them I’d be more worried about the embarrassment of being amongst the highest paid players in their positions in the world and not even arsed to run or tackle or chase “lost causes” as if there’s such a thing. Lowest in the league for work rate? Is that not the opposite to British coaching and what made us so successful in the first place?

Season before we did ok keeping it tight and letting Bruno Cavani and Rashford figure it out but ultimately it wasn’t ever going to be enough to lay a glove on the big prizes.

This season if we wanted to dominate and play attacking we needed to press from the front and compete aggressively as a group with or without Ronaldo. I’ve been saying it for years. We are just way too passive in our workrate. I think McKenna under Ralf easily could coach our team to press or play any other modern system, especially with the right additions in the market and aggressive leadership from the top.

The club has lacked any meaningful identity since Fergie retired, looking to managers and coaches to steer the whole ethos and approach of the club. I think becoming more modern behind the scenes with Ralf and staying modern beyond him should be our new identity. Stay modern and by the same token be much more ruthless with the modern players too.

I think Phelan Carrick and McKenna were just convenient scapegoats for a directionless club and clueless owners. The way the club was being run it was going to come to boil under any manager or set of coaches until we sorted it out or got lucky. Ole was far too naive and paid with his job. Hopefully Ralf really has the juice to fully modernise us. When he does it should potentially make the managers and coaches job a hell of a lot easier.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

It's not as if he has a reputation or history of a great coach anywhere else either.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
This really is the dumb & dumber of thread.

99% of the posters here won't know a great coach or how to determine who is a great coach, never mind coach themselves to be in a position to comment --- and yet there are 9 pages slagging off a professional coach.

tenpoless

I think it's best to just let him take on the new challenge and come back in 2-3 years. At that point we'll know if he's really a top coach based on facts.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

99% of the posters here won't know a great coach or how to determine who is a great coach, never mind coach themselves to be in a position to comment --- and yet there are 9 pages slagging off a professional coach.
sure, maybe Ince was a great manager at all.

Or many neil Warnock isn't a bad manager

Or Maybe SAF was just a mediocre manager got lucky with stuffs.

We can't rate a coach can't we?

roseguy64

Judging a manager/head coach by results is not the same as judging the competence of an assistant coach?

No one even knows the name of the coaches at clubs other than their own unless they were a former player or manager.

Judas

Open to offers

You're having an absolute nightmare in this thread and you're still going :lol: quite impressive how badly you're digging your heels in. Very odd hill to choose to die on.

Foxbatt

How does anyone know if he is a great coach or not unless he shows that he is a great coach?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The players seemed to be impressed with him, he has a massive reputation for being a thorough coach throughout the footballing community.
He has worked under three different managers who all have had excellent things to say about him.
But if course as always the Caf knows best :rolleyes:

Also his track record at youth level at United is impressive to say the least.
Andy Mitten was on the Athletic podcast and said that Martyn Pert, who left with McKenna was in charge of communicating with players on loan and tracking their progress and now the players do not know who to talk to as their briefings have been cut short with his sudden exit. Its such a different reality to half the bozos here throwing themselves a party when any support staff leaves the club.

AneRu

Andy Mitten was on the Athletic podcast and said that Martyn Pert, who left with McKenna was in charge of communicating with players on loan and tracking their progress and now the players do not know who to talk to as their briefings have been cut short with his sudden exit. Its such a different reality to half the bozos here throwing themselves a party when any support staff leaves the club.
We are now shorthanded in the coaching department and in the midst of a Corona virus outbreak at the club but still Pert and McKenna have been gone barely a week. Isn't Mitten being sensationalist for no reason given the time and the crises we are dealing with? Surely even a 19 year old player on loan can see this.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
We are now shorthanded in the coaching department and in the midst of a Corona virus outbreak at the club but still Pert and McKenna have been gone barely a week. Isn't Mitten being sensationalist for no reason given the time and the crises we are dealing with? Surely even a 19 year old player on loan can see this.
There's a reason why you want to get replacements in, prior to letting people leave. This period around December/January is especially crucial as the club can recall or reassign loaned players who are not getting adequate game time at their present clubs.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Indeed.

Seems like some people are desperate to throw any ire they can at the club about anything!!

Trequarista10

Coach is the same as manager?

I love this place.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Judging a manager/head coach by results is not the same as judging the competence of an assistant coach?

No one even knows the name of the coaches at clubs other than their own unless they were a former player or manager.
Nope. But you lot seems to think he's a great coach based on something soneone said years ago.

Resutls arent indicative, but somehow winning u18 title years ago means he's a good coach.

Double standard

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not being funny but that doesn't sound like something that would be hard to reorganise.

Building relationships won't be so easy, but finding a replacement to do that job is hardly difficult.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Not being funny but that doesn't sound like something that would be hard to reorganise.

Building relationships won't be so easy, but finding a replacement to do that job is hardly difficult.
Not being funny either but have you been out helping clubs recruit for these jobs? I genuinely don't understand the irrational confidence and absolute certainty with which some of you make these statements.

tomaldinho1

Not being funny either but have you been out helping clubs recruit for these jobs? I genuinely don't understand the irrational confidence and absolute certainty with which some of you make these statements.
It really is common sense. Unless you can explain what made Pert the sole human being able to communicate with loan players.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It really is common sense. Unless you can explain what made Pert the sole human being able to communicate with loan players.
Common sense? You mean like looking both sides before crossing the street?

I'm not saying Pert was blessed with the holy hand while he was in the womb and ordained to manage on loan players but the sort of brain drain we are experiencing at once cannot be good for stability at a grocery store, let alone a premier league club.

Adam-Utd

:lol: my god

His job is to watch players on loan, talk to player, talk to the loan club, and report back to United.

You really don't need to be a rocket scientist or a coaching genius to perform that type of role. It's a personal role that maybe Pert was good at - but if you think United will struggle to fill that job? I think literally anybody with a tongue and eyes could do it.

Adam-Utd

Ladies and gentlemen, I rest my case.
I've barely seen a case from you to rest to be honest? Usually people that can't back their points up use that phrase.

Why do you think this job is so difficult that losing Pert is a big blow to the club? Why can't the club easily replace him with another person that uses a phone and a tv?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I've barely seen a case from you to rest to be honest? Usually people that can't back their points up use that phrase.

Why do you think this job is so difficult that losing Pert is a big blow to the club? Why can't the club easily replace him with another person that uses a phone and a tv?
I don't know man, I'm genuinely not an expert at what goes on in premier league clubs behind the scenes but I tend to think that being part of the first team staff at a top 4 premier league club is a job that needs some pedigree and skill. You sure do seem to know a lot about it, but I'm afraid I don't feel confident enough to take you at your word.

Even if you were right and it really is as easy as replacing a janitor, until you have a replacement, your bathroom stinks and your bins are overflowing.

Udmaster

Just wish him goodluck, let him and us move on.
We should start getting on board Spanish or dutch coaches who will bring their experiences and expertise via coming from a more technical football culture.
Enough of all these kick and push British coaches

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
:lol: my god

His job is to watch players on loan, talk to player, talk to the loan club, and report back to United.

You really don't need to be a rocket scientist or a coaching genius to perform that type of role. It's a personal role that maybe Pert was good at - but if you think United will struggle to fill that job? I think literally anybody with a tongue and eyes could do it.
He's martin pert. Not alex ferguson. Maybe without him our loanee would have a nervous breakdown, confused, and forget the way back home. Sniff...

I'm sure their loan club dont coach them and somehow they're like the departed where their files are only known to Pert and if and should anything happened to pert they cant go back because nobody at the club knew who they are.

sglowrider

Nope. But you lot seems to think he's a great coach based on something soneone said years ago.

Resutls arent indicative, but somehow winning u18 title years ago means he's a good coach.

Double standard
Not sure why you hate the club so much? Support the Scousers then.

Its responses like yours that differential between fans and supporters.

Supporters support --- not throw hate and disrespect at any given opportunity. Since you are no United insider nor I suspect someone with a professional coaching badge; you are just projecting all your angst, anxiety etc towards people who you have feck-all knowledge of and has probably never even coached the u-8s ever.

I suggest you stop with all your projected emotions and stick with something you know a whole lot better, FIFA Manager?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Not sure why you hate the club so much? Support the Scousers then.

Its responses like yours that differential between fans and supporters.

Supporters support --- not throw hate and disrespect at any given opportunity. Since you are no United insider nor I suspect someone with a professional coaching badge; you are just projecting all your angst, anxiety etc towards people who you have feck-all knowledge of and has probably never even coached the u-8s ever.

I suggest you stop with all your projected emotions and stick with something you know a whole lot better, FIFA Manager?
Ah yes. The top red argument. If you dont support mediocrity feel free to support the scouse.

So i guess you never slagged a player before? Ever? In your lifetime here? Such a top red. I raised my hat to you sir. I'm sure you also have no problem with moyes and jose and still singing praises about them. Such an epic supporter. I wish everyone would have that mentality.

You sir are gold standard

sglowrider

Ah yes. The top red argument. If you dont support mediocrity feel free to support the scouse.

So i guess you never slagged a player before? Ever? In your lifetime here? Such a top red. I raised my hat to you sir. I'm sure you also have no problem with moyes and jose and still singing praises about them. Such an epic supporter. I wish everyone would have that mentality.

You sir are gold standard
Moyes, Jose? I did have problems with Dave's United. Loved Ron's. Unlike you I don't always need silverware for me to feel good about the club. Its in my blood and my life regardless of its success on the field.

So in the scheme of things your petty angst is will only lead to your poor health whilst I have learnt to put things in perspective over the years. And not to comment on things I have little knowledge of (like professional coaching/player or club insider info) to avoid coming across as some infantile zit-faced teen.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Moyes, Jose? I did have problems with Dave's United. Loved Ron's. Unlike you I don't always need silverware for me to feel good about the club. Its in my blood and my life regardless of its success on the field.

So in the scheme of things your petty angst is will only lead to your poor health whilst I have learnt to put things in perspective over the years. And not to comment on things I have little knowledge of (like professional coaching/player or club insider info) to avoid coming across as some infantile zit-faced teen.
Not commenting on things you have little knowledge of
Oh the irony

I'll leave it there. Anyway. Welcome to my ignore list.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
By coaching a team to win when the manager is not involved in the coaching.
How do we know if manager is not the one restricting the coaching by asking "this is how I want my team to play"?