Kieran McKenna | Ipswich manager

philnguyen1994

Ipswich is having an absolutely terrible end to the season. After a good start by Kieran McKenna, at one point they looked an outside bet for the play-offs, but 3 draws and 2 losses in 5 in April so far means they'll end up miles off. Ironically, this has been quite similar to Ole's season after replacing Jose: almost perfect run at first, only to be let down by a terrible end to the season and ultimately fail to reach the target league position.

I think most Ipswich fans are still fully behind McKenna though and is waiting to see what he'll do in the transfer market. Next season we'll see if he's actually a promising manager or just had a bounce initially. I always thought the stick he got from some Utd fans was over the top, so hopefully, he'll come back stronger next season and prove himself.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Ipswich is having an absolutely terrible end to the season. After a good start by Kieran McKenna, at one point they looked an outside bet for the play-offs, but 3 draws and 2 losses in 5 in April so far means they'll end up miles off. Ironically, this has been quite similar to Ole's season after replacing Jose: almost perfect run at first, only to be let down by a terrible end to the season and ultimately fail to reach the target league position.

I think most Ipswich fans are still fully behind McKenna though and is waiting to see what he'll do in the transfer market. Next season we'll see if he's actually a promising manager or just had a bounce initially. I always thought the stick he got from some Utd fans was over the top, so hopefully, he'll come back stronger next season and prove himself.
Ipswich fans in general (not all obviously) are still very much behind McKenna and the new owners. We’ve already sold more season tickets for next year than at any time in the past decade, which is quite impressive given that we were in the Championship for most of that time, and even made the playoffs one year. Last time we sold this many season tickets was when a certain Roy Keane was manager; the less said about that the better though.

I don’t know what kind of relationship McKenna has with those still at Old Trafford, but can you guys think of any potential loan signings who would benefit from a season in league one? Obviously the very highly rated youth players wouldn’t dream of it but I’m thinking maybe Fish, Hugill or maybe one of your young keepers who aren’t going to get a look in.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Ipswich fans in general (not all obviously) are still very much behind McKenna and the new owners. We’ve already sold more season tickets for next year than at any time in the past decade, which is quite impressive given that we were in the Championship for most of that time, and even made the playoffs one year. Last time we sold this many season tickets was when a certain Roy Keane was manager; the less said about that the better though.

I don’t know what kind of relationship McKenna has with those still at Old Trafford, but can you guys think of any potential loan signings who would benefit from a season in league one? Obviously the very highly rated youth players wouldn’t dream of it but I’m thinking maybe Fish, Hugill or maybe one of your young keepers who aren’t going to get a look in.
Take your pick from any of our players who would benefit from a season in league one.

Good luck for next season, always liked Ipswich.

pascell

I'd definitely say Mengi as he hasn't played much the past two seasons. Then either Vitek or Kovar. Galbraith might benefit another League One loan too.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Take your pick from any of our players who would benefit from a season in league one.

Good luck for next season, always liked Ipswich.
Thanks man. McKenna is doing his best to keep us as a passing team, but that’s no easy feat in League One. We’ve just released our keeper so maybe one of yours would be a good fit.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
First game of the season for me, hoping to see McKenna has used his first preseason to instill his own footprint on the team. 4 points from 2 games so far, but we’ve apparently been underwhelming in achieving that.

avgp_1

Watched them play MK Dons(3rd last year) off the park last weekend, they play good stuff under him

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
So our players thought they were too good to listen to him or Ole didn’t want to implement?

Either case, it’s bad news for us.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
So our players thought they were too good to listen to him or Ole didn’t want to implement?

I'm starting to believe that Ole and team knew how bad this squad was and just tried to get the most out of these. The moment he started playing expansive football, everything went tits up.

Varun1

I'm starting to believe that Ole and team knew how bad this squad was and just tried to get the most out of these. The moment he started playing expansive football, everything went tits up.
Sure, it's not like Ole lumbered us with an unfit squad.

Sviken

To be fair, there's a difference in managing Ipswich and United. But the players are absolutely useless, there's no denying that. The problem is - they are Ole's players. He brought them, he instilled this "happy to be here" mentality. There are no excuses for that. It's especially grating since Ole would know this best - given that Sir Alex always emphasized that players need to give it their all, no matter how good or bad they are, and if they are not hungry, then they are not fit for this club or winning things.

Ole created a squad made of spineless wankers that are grossly overpaid and have zero desire to achieve anything. It doesn't matter how much talent they have if the desire is simply not there.

elmo

To be fair, there's a difference in managing Ipswich and United. But the players are absolutely useless, there's no denying that. The problem is - they are Ole's players. He brought them, he instilled this "happy to be here" mentality. There are no excuses for that. It's especially grating since Ole would know this best - given that Sir Alex always emphasized that players need to give it their all, no matter how good or bad they are, and if they are not hungry, then they are not fit for this club or winning things.

Ole created a squad made of spineless wankers that are grossly overpaid and have zero desire to achieve anything. It doesn't matter how much talent they have if the desire is simply not there.
Yes there is, which is why the players need to be professionals and buy into what the coaches are saying which is something that’s clearly lacking from our players.

In theory, it’s probably harder to get Ipswich to play better football because we supposedly have better players. Which is why I’ve always been behind the idea of gutting our entire first team and to do a proper rebuild without those toxic twats.

elmo

The football we’ve seen under Ole during his interim was still some of the best football we’ve played in years. It’s only when he got the job full time and went back on the idea of only wanting fully committed players that it was beyond saving.

Sviken

In theory, it’s probably harder to get Ipswich to play better football because we supposedly have better players.
Well, not really. I would imagine most of Ipswich players are very hungry. Better performances lead to improved contracts, a possible promotion leads to much bigger contracts and possible exposure to bigger teams, etc. This is a very powerful driving force. A manager who can improve them and help them along the way is very welcome and theý'l listen. With our players... what do you have? Overpaid prima donnas who are almost all on absolutely fat stack contracts that they don't deserve one bit. Why do they have to try or bother? They're already set for life. Like they care about winning some shiny toy or anything like that when they've already pretty much hit the ceiling on what they can achieve from a purely material standpoint.

This is one of the biggest problems that plague the club after SAF, perhaps the biggest. Martial, Bruno, Shaw, De Gea... One of our best players before prematurely being given massive contracts and now they're shell of their former selves. We have enforced a mentality of mediocrity. Back in the day SAF even with SAF's worst squads, we had players that would give their all when going on the pitch. Cleverley or Evans weren't the best players in history, but you absolutely know they'll get stuck in for ever inch of grass on that pitch. This is what we're missing and as you said - it's impossible to fix unless we gut this squad down to the bone. The cancer has spread far too much to be "contained" and when people were laughing at Rangnick for his "replace 10 players" speech, well, now these same people realize the gravity of the situation and that he wasn't exaggerating at all when he said that.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Sure, it's not like Ole lumbered us with an unfit squad.
I'm not absolving him of any blame. Maguire, AwB and not able to replace McFred is all on him. But his football now starts making sense. This lot is braindead and uncoachable.

elmo

Well, not really. I would imagine most of Ipswich players are very hungry. Better performances lead to improved contracts, a possible promotion leads to much bigger contracts and possible exposure to bigger teams, etc. This is a very powerful driving force. A manager who can improve them and help them along the way is very welcome and theý'l listen. With our players... what do you have? Overpaid prima donnas who are almost all on absolutely fat stack contracts that they don't deserve one bit. Why do they have to try or bother? They're already set for life. Like they care about winning some shiny toy or anything like that when they've already pretty much hit the ceiling on what they can achieve from a purely material standpoint.

This is one of the biggest problems that plague the club after SAF, perhaps the biggest. Martial, Bruno, Shaw, De Gea... One of our best players before prematurely being given massive contracts and now they're shell of their former selves. We have enforced a mentality of mediocrity. Back in the day SAF even with SAF's worst squads, we had players that would give their all when going on the pitch. Cleverley or Evans weren't the best players in history, but you absolutely know they'll get stuck in for ever inch of grass on that pitch. This is what we're missing and as you said - it's impossible to fix unless we gut this squad down to the bone. The cancer has spread far too much to be "contained" and when people were laughing at Rangnick for his "replace 10 players" speech, well, now these same people realize the gravity of the situation and that he wasn't exaggerating at all when he said that.
No, you’re talking about getting players to buy in. I’m referring to the fact that better players are supposed to be better at playing football, which in reality we’re not anywhere close to it despite having better footballers than them.

philnguyen1994

Imagine Utd ends up playing Ipswich in an early round of the FA Cup and McKenna's Blue Army smashes us 3-0 ...

Would serve some of our players right tbf. I remember when Ole was sacked, the players leaked to the press that Mckenna's basic coaching sessions were holding them back and how he acted like a headmaster treating them like schoolboys.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
What? You mean our staff who did work behind the scenes were largely competent and probably had their hands tied by Woodward's meddling? Who would have thunk it?

Skills

Snitch
Felt sorry for him and Carrick. They were promising coaches, who were lumbered underneath an incompetent head coach.

CM

Always felt McKenna was a decent coach. He was another scapegoat for just how badly the club was run from the top down. Glad he's doing well for himself now

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
McKenna did coach them. They finished 3rd and 2nd for God’s sake. Clearly something was being done on the training pitch.
Yet Ole and his team ended up being (rightfully) sacked. I'm sure McKenna's a good coach. My point is that even a good coach could only take this squad of players so far. Which is something that is happening right in front of our eyes all over again.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Woodward's meddling or a squad full of un-coachable players? Subsequent evidence points very much towards the latter...
Probably both, yes, but it does put these people who were labelled as incompetent that were being hounded out by our "fans" are probably a lot better at their job than what fans think and they are probably handcuffed by a million different things that we don't know about.

CM

Yet Ole and his team ended up being (rightfully) sacked. I'm sure McKenna's a good coach. My point is that even a good coach could only take this squad of players so far. Which is something that is happening right in front of our eyes all over again.
The team's collapse coincided with the arrival of one particular player

CM

Maybe that's true but if true it means Ole didnt know how to use him or better yet we should have not gone for him.
Agreed. I'm sure that was a Glazer signing being pushed on him though - Ole would never have said no either, don't get me wrong. But I doubt he was the one pushing for it in the first instance.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The team's collapse coincided with the arrival of one particular player
Ronaldo, Varane and Sancho all arrived together, maybe it was all three, but obviously we all just like to blame petulant Ronaldo. Or maybe it was just a coincidence the collapse happened.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
He's done a fantastic job. When he took over last season, they were in freefall but finished the season losing 4 out of the 24 games he was in charge for. That's excellent form.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Oh I totally agree getting 3rd then 2nd was getting the best from the squad - That’s why I never understood the stick he got. Being exceptional in transitions which we absolutely were for 18 months does take very good coaching. We then tried to transition to a high line - high possession style that we didn’t/don’t really have the players for, added Ronaldo into the mix, the confidence draining from the squad as results turned, huge divisions in the dressing room and then the cycle of toxicity we’re now still in and you get last season and the start of this.

Teja

I'm not absolving him of any blame. Maguire, AwB and not able to replace McFred is all on him. But his football now starts making sense. This lot is braindead and uncoachable.
Just give a competent coach a little bit of time. I think a single midfielder like De Jong will be enough to change our fortunes. It's easy to just complain about results but the hard part is to focus on exactly what we're doing wrong.

I think the pressing has improved significantly already since the Ole / McKenna days. I remember the game against Villareal where they were basically toying with our "high press". Our build up play patterns are there - the shape generally looks the same as teams like City / Pool but just the total lack of an intelligent midfielder is killing us. I think Ten Hag can make his life a lot easier by just going long instead of insisting on playing out the back. That's what Pool do.

If you're still unsure, take a look at the possession stats just with the current side against Pool next weekend. I can guarantee it won't be as poor as a 70-30 or whatever it was last year.

CM

Ronaldo, Varane and Sancho all arrived together, maybe it was all three, but obviously we all just like to blame petulant Ronaldo. Or maybe it was just a coincidence the collapse happened.
Only one of those players mopes around like a manchild and throws his arms up in the air when things aren't going his way. The others arrived before Ronaldo and we weren't getting beaten by fours against the likes of Watford and Leicester until one player came through the door and disrupted the entire balance of the squad.
Kind of. There were plenty of warning signs before Ronaldo arrived. And strengthening the squad is a poor excuse for a collapse.
It wasn't strengthening the squad. We've seen enough evidence of that by now. We finished 3rd and 2nd in the league prior to Ronaldo's arrival.

People always like to complain about the fitness levels of the team but Ronaldo's arrival absolutely killed any notion of us being a pressing team. We had Cavani as the focal point a year prior, when you have somebody come in to replace his running who just refuses to run, that will obviously be detrimental to the team.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Only one of those players mopes around like a manchild and throws his arms up in the air when things aren't going his way. The others arrived before Ronaldo and we weren't getting beaten by fours against the likes of Watford and Leicester until one player came through the door and disrupted the entire balance of the squad.

It wasn't strengthening the squad. We've seen enough evidence of that by now. We finished 3rd and 2nd in the league prior to Ronaldo's arrival.

People always like to complain about the fitness levels of the team but Ronaldo's arrival absolutely killed any notion of us being a pressing team. We had Cavani as the focal point a year prior, when you have somebody come in to replace his running who just refuses to run, that will obviously be detrimental to the team.
I’m fully on board with Ronaldo causing more problems than he solved. But at the end of the day the manager signed off on his arrival, along with two other supposedly top players in Sancho and Varane. So it’s a poor excuse for our spectacular collapse. Not to mention that the warning signs were there the season before. It’s been done to death but that second place flattered us a lot, based on the points we actually achieved.

tomaldinho1

I’m amazed at some of these posts - he’s managing Ipswich, a league one team! Ole & co weren’t ready/qualified but at least McKenna is now going and doing what he needs to do to get relevant experience. Maybe he’ll manage in the PL, I hope so, but his success/failure at Ipswich has no bearing on his United stint, completely different level of player, egos, agents, media focus, opposition etc.

It’s like Ragnick managing Austria - albeit that’s a higher level than Ipswich - it’s irrelevant to his time at United because it’s a completely different job. If one of them had gone and managed a PL club and done well, maybe it’s worth discussing.