Kieran Tierney | signed for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueHaze

Reading he would cost around £25m which makes me not even want to think about how much someone like Chilwell would go for. Todays market is quite repulsive.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This is going to happen isn't it? A team with almost no budget goes out and buys a super promising left back who on occasion has been trusted with the captaincy because of his mentality and they're likely to buy another super promising and even younger centre back, both on the absolute cheap.

Is this Edu's doing? Is he the mastermind? What a difference an added "u" makes.

BlueHaze

This is going to happen isn't it? A team with almost no budget goes out and buys a super promising left back who on occasion has been trusted with the captaincy because of his mentality and they're likely to buy another super promising and even younger centre back, both on the absolute cheap.

Is this Edu's doing? Is he the mastermind? What a difference an added "u" makes.
Who's the CB?

SambaBoy

Would be a quality signing for Arsenal. Monreal was a very good full-back about 3/4 seasons ago but he's well past it now and Tierney would be a good late replacement. I would have him at United, but yeah we should prioritise other positions firstly.

I watch Celtic a lot, and most of my family are Celtic fans, he is a quality player, very good as an attacking option however it is hard to judge the standard due to him playing in SPL. Nowhere near as good attacking when playing for Scotland although you can attribute that to him playing RB rather than LB. Very good defensively as well, seems he takes joy in making tackles and actually defending. I believe he will be a better player than Shaw in 1-2 seasons once he finds his feet at a bigger club. The only concern with him is the hip problem that has made him stagnate over the last year and a half. The hip is crucial in sprinting and being explosive and he doesn't look quite as dynamic as he did whether that's because he hasn't had a true run of games or whether it has affected him permanently I'm unsure.

Reiver

I always like seeing Scottish players at United, so I'm sorry it looks like we're going to miss out here.
Tierney is unusual for a modern Scottish footballer in that he's a good all round player with good technical skills. I rate him as a better all round player than Robertson. I used to get annoyed when Tierney was played out of position at International level to accommodate Robertson but it made sense as Tierney is more capable of playing elsewhere. Of course, in the last year and a half or so, Robertson has kicked on massively and Tierney has had injury problems. Robertson is now the first name on the Scotland team sheet.
It wouldn't surprise me if the plan, particularly under Rodgers, was to move Tierney into midfield, he has the skillset.
We bought Dan James for approximately 18 million (I think), and he is generally seen as a worthwhile punt. For 7-10 million more we would get a young player with UCL and international experience. He would at least challenge Shaw for the LB position if not overtake him, effectively sorting that position for a good length of time. A good all round footballer who could potentially cover other positions and could improve further with the right coaching. I'm not saying 25 million is a punt but I think it would represent good value for Tierney.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Well not likely, they're asking for 30m and to loan him back for a season. If reports are to be believed, they're going to spend a large portion of their budget on a CB who won't even play for them next season? I think not.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Reading he would cost around £25m which makes me not even want to think about how much someone like Chilwell would go for. Todays market is quite repulsive.
Leicester are minted so they'd probably ask for a similar amount to what they're asking for Maguire.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Based on what?

I mean, obviously I know what you're basing it on, but confirm it for me.

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/virgil-van-dijk.396976/#post-16517565

Oh dear :lol:

That thread is great reading. You can tell quite a few people just didn't actually watch him play and just judged him at a glance. People calling him slow because he's got a big frame/is tall, when he's actually one of the quickest defenders around. I think if I had a quid for every time 'not United quality' was written on here for a player who absolutely would be good enough for United, I'd be a millionaire.

That said, when you sign from a lesser quality league you are always rolling the dice, same with a league like the Eredivisie. Can get a Suarez or you can end up with a Janssen, all about close scouting to see whether the player is just excelling at a low level or is a genuine talent who can make the step up. Dismissing players purely because they don't play in a top league is pure folly though.

poleglass red

Really like this lad, pity we aren't throwing our hat into the ring on this one. He had a bad season there injury wise. I appreciate we need to strengthen massively in other areas, but at 25 million it's something we should really persue. A young lad, great going forward, very hard in the tackle and a natural leader even at his young age. His commitment is excellent as is his ability, and for one so young he has great experience. He'd be a starter for us now and he still has massive room for improvement. Celtic are big on loans deal, we could have sweetened the pot by loaning them a few reserve players not ready for the step up next season. In today's inflated marker 25 million is a steal for a player, who'll be starter for yrs to come.

IRELANDUNITED

Out of interest how does the Scottish national team fit him and Robertson into the same 11? We can't seem to find a way to get Coleman and Doherty onto the same pitch.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I always like seeing Scottish players at United, so I'm sorry it looks like we're going to miss out here.
Tierney is unusual for a modern Scottish footballer in that he's a good all round player with good technical skills. I rate him as a better all round player than Robertson. I used to get annoyed when Tierney was played out of position at International level to accommodate Robertson but it made sense as Tierney is more capable of playing elsewhere. Of course, in the last year and a half or so, Robertson has kicked on massively and Tierney has had injury problems. Robertson is now the first name on the Scotland team sheet.
It wouldn't surprise me if the plan, particularly under Rodgers, was to move Tierney into midfield, he has the skillset.
We bought Dan James for approximately 18 million (I think), and he is generally seen as a worthwhile punt. For 7-10 million more we would get a young player with UCL and international experience. He would at least challenge Shaw for the LB position if not overtake him, effectively sorting that position for a good length of time. A good all round footballer who could potentially cover other positions and could improve further with the right coaching. I'm not saying 25 million is a punt but I think it would represent good value for Tierney.
Great to have the insight here. I can't see why in the world he'd go to Arsenal over us if we presented him with a choice. If his hip problems aren't a major disaster, it would make such obvious sense to snap him out of Arsenal's clutches but we might not have even the modicum of intelligence to do that.

We'll look back at this thread later on with regret and envy.

Fosu-Mens

Great to have the insight here. I can't see why in the world he'd go to Arsenal over us if we presented him with a choice. If his hip problems aren't a major disaster, it would make such obvious sense to snap him out of Arsenal's clutches but we might not have even the modicum of intelligence to do that.

We'll look back at this thread later on with regret and envy.
Difficult to buy a new LB as a first option when you have one at the club earning £150k+ per week with 4/5 years left on the contract...

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Difficult to buy a new LB as a first option when you have one at the club earning £150k+ per week with 4/5 years left on the contract...
Not really. Tierney would likely come in on a much smaller contract. I don't believe Arsenal would be offering him much more than 50-60K max. We've got Dalot on the right and probably, soon, also AWB. Why can't we have two left backs? Do you trust any of our players doing a job there if Shaw gets injured or suspended (like he did for the Barca away leg)? I don't. I also want him to feel pushed throughout the season with authentic competition for his place. And then there's the very high promise of Tierney who is younger, and already at his age displays leadership qualities that we as a team, as a club, are sorely lacking. And for what, 25m? Like @Reiver said, if we're taking a 17m punt on James, it seems to me obvious that 25m for a player who immediately improves our squad depth, provides competition, can conceivably win his way into the starting 11 and has great character, is a great deal. As is getting one over Arsenal, our actual rivals these days.

Fosu-Mens

Not really. Tierney would likely come in on a much smaller contract. I don't believe Arsenal would be offering him much more than 50-60K max. We've got Dalot on the right and probably, soon, also AWB. Why can't we have two left backs? Do you trust any of our players doing a job there if Shaw gets injured or suspended (like he did for the Barca away leg)? I don't. I also want him to feel pushed throughout the season with authentic competition for his place. And then there's the very high promise of Tierney who is younger, and already at his age displays leadership qualities that we as a team, as a club, are sorely lacking. And for what, 25m? Like @Reiver said, if we're taking a 17m punt on James, it seems to me obvious that 25m for a player who immediately improves our squad depth, provides competition, can conceivably win his way into the starting 11 and has great character, is a great deal. As is getting one over Arsenal, our actual rivals these days.
While i agree with your sentiment, the issue is more along the lines of: It would look bad for certain people at the club if they suddenly decide to buy a new first choice LB (Which he would be) 10 months after handing Shaw a monster contract after playing ok for 5 matches.

Lentwood

Not too fussed if Tierney goes elsewhere, it's a big step up from the SPL and LB is one of the very few positions I am (relatively) unworried about currently

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
The fact that he’s not very good. Van Dijk’s freak progression has no correlation to Tierney. He is the exception, not the rule.
Sure.

I'm aware VVD has no correlation with Tierney. That wasn't what I was getting at. Just thought it was funny you were saying the same stuff with van Dijk that you are now with Tierney. It's almost like it's just baseless assumptions based not on seeing him play but rather where he plays. Just a thought...

izec

The fact that he’s not very good. Van Dijk’s freak progression has no correlation to Tierney. He is the exception, not the rule.
Van Dijk was previously very good as well. He went up a level at Pool, but he wasnt Rojo level and then went world class over night. The few times i watched him, he was excellent. People focus too much on mistakes, that happens to every player every now and then. Van Dijk was a very good defender, stats wise and by watching games. Seems like the Martial goal clouded people's judgement.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sure.

I'm aware VVD has no correlation with Tierney. That wasn't what I was getting at. Just thought it was funny you were saying the same stuff with van Dijk that you are now with Tierney. It's almost like it's just baseless assumptions based not on seeing him play but rather where he plays. Just a thought...
Sure.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Seems odd. If he is that highly rated and cheap, why won't Brendan Rodgers make a move for him?

He could be the signing Leicester make at 25 mil, make him near world class and sell for 60 mil in the future.

There is something Brendan knows that we don't...
Very good point. Personally I haven't seen him other than Youtube videos. I like the idea of a young British player coming in but you make a good point about Rodgers. If he really was that good then surely he would be making a bid for him, especially if he can be bought for such a low price (in todays market)...

poleglass red

Very good point. Personally I haven't seen him other than Youtube videos. I like the idea of a young British player coming in but you make a good point about Rodgers. If he really was that good then surely he would be making a bid for him, especially if he can be bought for such a low price (in todays market)...
because they already have Ben Chiwell in the same position, who is the same age and arguably better. And by the way he has been linked to Leicester in the press, quick glance at Leicester Mercury
https://readleicester.com/2019/03/11/tierney-opens-up-about-leicester-speculation/

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

Kag

I’ve liked Tierney for a while now (albeit didn’t watch much of Celtic last season). If he’s available for under £30 million then I think we would be negligent not to take a punt on him. He has a wicked left foot, which is certainly something he would offer ahead of Shaw. The latter needs a kick up the arse and Young is no understudy.

Dalot, Wan-Bissaka, Shaw and Tierney. We’d polish two of them into gems, at least. Sadly, I think we’ll persist with dross like Young (and pay the price, too).

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I'd offer Celtic £30m for him, give the lad a 5/6 year contract then loan him back to Celtic for next season, it would give the lad a chance to be part of Celtic equalling their 9 in a row, plus it would let Luke Shaw know that whilst he's currently in possession of the left-back spot he still needs to keep improving or we've got somebody ready to come in the following season and replace him. If Shaw kicks on we could always try Tierney as a LCB

Bojan11

I'd offer Celtic £30m for him, give the lad a 5/6 year contract then loan him back to Celtic for next season, it would give the lad a chance to be part of Celtic equalling their 9 in a row, plus it would let Luke Shaw know that whilst he's currently in possession of the left-back spot he still needs to keep improving or we've got somebody ready to come in the following season and replace him. If Shaw kicks on we could always try Tierney as a LCB
Why £30m?

They want £25m mate. Glad you ain’t running the club. Also I rather not loan him if we do sign him. I’m not convinced about Shaw and it’s not like Tierny has been in all 9 of those championships Celtic have won.

Also if we sign another fullback along with AWB it means the less chance of Young playing. He’d be 5th choice.

Class of 63

Sourness
Why £30m?

They want £25m mate. Glad you ain’t running the club. Also I rather not loan him if we do sign him. I’m not convinced about Shaw and it’s not like Tierny has been in all 9 of those championships Celtic have won.

Also if we sign another fullback along with AWB it means the less chance of Young playing. He’d be 5th choice.
Celtic rejected Arsenal's original £15m offer and said they wanted nearer £25/30m, so i'd blow Arsenal out of the water, give Celtic what they want, or as near as damn it on the understanding that we get first refusal on Karamoko Dembélé when he moves.

The apparent reason Tierney hasn't move South earlier is because he wanted to be a part of the 9 in a row attempt, though you'd think if Celtic equalled the 9 in a row next season he'd want to stay and try and achieve 10 in a row for the first time - 2 year loan it is then :lol:

Still think despite signing AW-B we'll try and bring Elseid Hysaj in as well, and he's comfortable playing either side so Young will only play in emergency in the League, and keep up his fitness in the Europa League and League Cup matches.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Celtic rejected Arsenal's original £15m offer and said they wanted nearer £25/30m, so i'd blow Arsenal out of the water, give Celtic what they want, or as near as damn it on the understanding that we get first refusal on Karamoko Dembélé when he moves.

The apparent reason Tierney hasn't move South earlier is because he wanted to be a part of the 9 in a row attempt, though you'd think if Celtic equalled the 9 in a row next season he'd want to stay and try and achieve 10 in a row for the first time - 2 year loan it is then :lol:

Still think despite signing AW-B we'll try and bring Elseid Hysaj in as well, and he's comfortable playing either side so Young will only play in emergency in the League, and keep up his fitness in the Europa League and League Cup matches.
I don't think it would be sensible to buy another full back and Tierney as well (after having bought AWB) to just loan him out. He's available now for 25m. If Shaw gets injured or suffers a major dip in form, we're in trouble there. Arsenal are certainly not going to spend 25m of their meagre budget on a player they'll loan back, so it's not like he'll stay there to win some automatic 9th in a row. And again, the leadership qualities are so important. I'm not saying he'll be a leader of sorts right away, but he'll have the right attitude which will further dilute the entitlement culture at OT.

Class of 63

Sourness
I don't think it would be sensible to buy another full back and Tierney as well (after having bought AWB) to just loan him out. He's available now for 25m. If Shaw gets injured or suffers a major dip in form, we're in trouble there. Arsenal are certainly not going to spend 25m of their meagre budget on a player they'll loan back, so it's not like he'll stay there to win some automatic 9th in a row. And again, the leadership qualities are so important. I'm not saying he'll be a leader of sorts right away, but he'll have the right attitude which will further dilute the entitlement culture at OT.
Say it is £25m, if both Arsenal and Manchester United offered that, and United said they'd be prepared to loan him back for 12/18/24 months which offer do you think Celtic and Tierney would go for? And if Hysaj is available for a similar fee it's a no brainer

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Say it is £25m, if both Arsenal and Manchester United offered that, and United said they'd be prepared to loan him back for 12/18/24 months which offer do you think Celtic and Tierney would go for? And if Hysaj is available for a similar fee it's a no brainer
I think if both offered the same amount he'd go for United despite the bigger competition for his place. Maybe I'm too biased there, but I think United is a great club for Irish and Scottish players. If Hysaj is available, I'd still rather have Tierney. A more natural left sided player. Even more natural than Shaw there. And we're also looking to change the culture (I hope anyway) and Tierney is young and professional.

Imagine having Tierney/Shaw and AWB/Dalot. I'd be very very happy with those options at full back.

OleGunnar20

I think if both offered the same amount he'd go for United despite the bigger competition for his place. Maybe I'm too biased there, but I think United is a great club for Irish and Scottish players. If Hysaj is available, I'd still rather have Tierney. A more natural left sided player. Even more natural than Shaw there. And we're also looking to change the culture (I hope anyway) and Tierney is young and professional.

Imagine having Tierney/Shaw and AWB/Dalot. I'd be very very happy with those options at full back.
Man what a turnaround that would be. I know this won't happen, but..

.. Just maybe?

Cliche Guevara

It is 10 he apparently wants to stay for. That’s the new record.

Class of 63

Sourness

Much prefer AWB/Dalot and Tierney/Firpo

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Speaking to BBC Sport, Allan Preston, who is part of the Stellar Group that represents Tierney, said: "It is all down to Celtic – if they get a price that they believe is the correct value for Kieran Tierney he could possibly be on his way. "No one has hit that price yet." Preston went on to praise Tierney's character, adding: "I know Kieran really well, I had some food with him the other day.

"He is such an unassuming young man. He is wealthy at the moment but he doesn’t possess a watch because he isn’t into material things like this.

"He still hangs about with his pals from when he was a youngster, he sponsors his local pub team where his pals play and he’s not into his designer gear or anything like that."

-
How refreshing. If we're after the right type of character, we should be pouncing.

LindaChang

Should be all over him imo. Looks an absolute gem in celtic and would start over shaw. Worst case is him being a backup to Shaw but he arguably has the potential to be the best in the world in his position. A leader and a quality player.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
A bit off topic but is a watch a materialistic item? Maybe if it was a hugely expensive one, but in general it's practical to own a watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.