Kieran Trippier / signed for Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We heard this over a year ago, yet the only British players the club signed were Maguire, AWB and James. We also in that time signed Bruno, Telles, Cavani, VDB, Ighalo, Pellistri and Diallo.

The signing British players narrative is a load of rubbish, an absolute myth. I am sick of hearing people regurgitate that nonsense.
James Ducker wrote a article in 2020 that Solskjaer's cultural reboot was under fresh scrutiny. That can be googled searched too.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Mitten is popular on here though, isn't he? And tbh with you they aren't reporting anything false because Wan Bissaka is a causes for concern when it comes to transitioning play. Trippier would potentially be a superb signing against teams who sit back.
well they are if they're claiming their views are the managers. Like I said if we'd lost faith with AWB like what was suggested in that tweet then going for a 31 year old as his replacement is not a good move. Alas he won't be a replacement signing but more cover/competition

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Reporters always spout nonsense, I will believe it when I see it.
One journo described it as "straying away" from the cultural reboot. Basically insisting that we had abandoned the strategy, which makes sense due to the exorbitant costs involved.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
well they are if they're claiming their views are the managers. Like I said if we'd lost faith with AWB like what was suggested in that tweet then going for a 31 year old as his replacement is not a good move. Alas he won't be a replacement signing but more cover/competition
You could be correct mate, I don't know. But for me Mitten isn't a bad source.

As far as Trippier is concerned we will just have to wait and see how things develop because I'm hopeful he can have a short term impact at the very least.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I'd tend to trust Mitten on this. Trippier had a FaceTime call with his (Mitten's) family after the La Liga win, so I'd expect him to at least know more than most.

One journo described it as "straying away" from the cultural reboot. Basically insisting that we had abandoned the strategy, which makes sense due to the exorbitant costs involved.
perhaps the reboot is complete. We now have personality, determination and a will to win from the likes of canavi. Bruno and Maguire. The latter captain and vice captain.

Idxomer

This is gonna be like when people thought Telles would displace Shaw.

Trippier is a bit better than Telles and AWB is less talented than Shaw but the result is gonna be the same. He's coming as a cover which is needed, also a bonus he could play as a wing-back as well.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
perhaps the reboot is complete. We now have personality, determination and a will to win from the likes of canavi. Bruno and Maguire. The latter captain and vice captain.
You could be right and the cultural reboot could well be complete. But the problem wasn't the cultural reboot but rather the players we targeted for the style Solskjaer quite openly stated he favoured.

C'est Moi Cantona

This is gonna be like when people thought Telles would displace Shaw.

Trippier is a bit better than Telles and AWB is less talented than Shaw but the result is gonna be the same. He's coming as a cover which is needed, also a bonus he could play as a wing-back as well.
Telles improved Shaw for just been there, if Trippier does the same for AWB then great, if not then we still have a better RB for next season. would be a sensible signing

Bertie 2 Hats

Tripper is a Red.. He plays on the right but can also play on the left of a back 4 or 5.. Sign him up Ole :)

Kag

We heard this over a year ago, yet the only British players the club signed were Maguire, AWB and James. We also in that time signed Bruno, Telles, Cavani, VDB, Ighalo, Pellistri and Diallo.

The signing British players narrative is a load of rubbish, an absolute myth. I am sick of hearing people regurgitate that nonsense.
Indeed. At best, it’s an easy way to identify idiots.

Trippier would be a great signing, by the way. We need quality cover and competition at right back and he is about as solid as it gets.

whats utterly hilarious is how easy the ‘myth’ is dispelled - it’s just absolute BS. Some ‘fans’ regurgitate utter shite.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Indeed. At best, it’s an easy way to identify idiots.

Trippier would be a great signing, by the way. We need quality cover and competition at right back and he is about as solid as it gets.
I think the only idiots are those who welcomed the signing of AWB after Solskjaer had made it quite clear he wanted to press high and play a high line.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Sign. Will be good to actually have consistent threat down that side.

Kag

I think the only idiots are those who welcomed the signing of AWB after Solskjaer had made it quite clear he wanted to press high and play a high line.
What has that got to do with what I said?

The Ole-British thing is utter nonsense and tends to be parroted by idiots. Wan-Bissaka doesn’t really come into this.

Teja

You think the club went against Ole's wishes and bought AwB despite everyone (club, Ole) repeatedly saying Ole has final veto and Ole playing the player in basically every single game?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What has that got to do with what I said?

The Ole-British thing is utter nonsense and tends to be parroted by idiots. Wan-Bissaka doesn’t really come into this.
The Cultural reboot was a strategy adopted by Ole in 2019 as confirmed by the club. I repeat in the summer of 2019.

The same cultural reboot was under scrutiny in early 2020 according to one report with one journo saying we had 'strayed away from it'

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You think the club went against Ole's wishes and bought AwB despite everyone (club, Ole) repeatedly saying Ole has final veto and Ole playing the player in basically every single game?
I'm saying the club went with Ole's wishes.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I'd tend to trust Mitten on this. Trippier had a FaceTime call with his (Mitten's) family after the La Liga win, so I'd expect him to at least know more than most.
Mitten is based out of Spain now too.

Also, for what it's worth Luckhurst had a similar story on Trippier today.

Kag

The Cultural reboot was a strategy adopted by Ole in 2019 as confirmed by the club. I repeat in the summer of 2019.

The same cultural reboot was under scrutiny in early 2020 according to one report with one journo saying we had 'strayed away from it'
I’m struggling to make you out so I’m going to be more direct.

Do you believe Ole and his staff wanted to sign British players only as part of the cultural reboot you refer to?

Diabovermelho

Would be very good. Probably the cheapest of our signings (if we sign him), and a straightforward deal. Could be our only signing before the Euros (or i'm being optimistic?).

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I’m struggling to make you out so I’m going to be more direct.

Do you believe Ole and his staff wanted to sign British players only as part of the cultural reboot you refer to?
With the benefit of hindsight, I do believe Ole wanted to sign players from within Britain to improve upon the 'British core' as it was described by Simon Stone on a BBC podcast. But that strategy was under scrutiny pretty early as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts with one journo saying we had 'strayed away' from it.

But I don't have a issue with him adopting the strategy in question because I believe there is superb talent to be plucked from with in our country. My issue has always been that he signed players using that strategy which were not a match for the way he wanted to play. I can understand Maguire in some ways, because he's technically good. But I can never understand why sign Wan Bissaka when the aim is to play a high press/high line with counter pressing capabilities.

ti vu

What is the rumored fee again? What is his release clause? I don't see how Atletico would be open sell cheaply. He's there first choice so they need to replace him properly. You can cite age, and player wish to come home to try negotiate, but it doesn't guarantee anything.

Would be good signing at reasonable price, but doesn't look easy to me.

Kag

With the benefit of hindsight, I do believe Ole wanted to sign players from within Britain to improve upon the 'British core' as it was described by Simon Stone on a BBC podcast. But that strategy was under scrutiny pretty early as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts with one journo saying we had 'strayed away' from it.

But I don't have a issue with him adopting the strategy in question because I believe there is superb talent to be plucked from with in our country. My issue has always been that he signed players using that strategy which were not a match for the way he wanted to play. I can understand Maguire in some ways, because he's technically good. But I can never understand why sign Wan Bissaka when the aim is to play a high press/high line with counter pressing capabilities.
I think we bought Maguire and Wan-Bissaka because they were good, robust Premier League players who played in positions that desperately needed to be improved. Both have done well.

Wan-Bissaka is great at pressing and has the pace to play in a high line. He is also very good at manipulating the ball out of tricky situations near the touch line. He doesn’t do it gracefully but he is what he is. He’s also getting better going forward. Trippier would complement him well.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think we bought Maguire and Wan-Bissaka because they were good, robust Premier League players who played in positions that desperately needed to be improved. Both have done well.

Wan-Bissaka is great at pressing and has the pace to play in a high line. He is also very good at manipulating the ball out of tricky situations near the touch line. He doesn’t do it gracefully but he is what he is. He’s also getting better going forward. Trippier would complement him well.
That's fair enough mate. I'm not gonna attempt to change your mind.

I agree on Trippier.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Yeh, I feel like the talk of cultural reboot is completely different from targeting British players. I feel what Ole meant was that we needed to get some leaders in the side, especially after the mess Jose left us in. He's done that adding Maguire, Bruno and Cavani as well as pushing the right mentality onto our existing players. That's no different from what Fergie used to do btw.

Walters_19_MuFc

Agreed.

PoTMS

Get him in. Won't cost more than £15-20m and would instantly oust Wan-Bissaka from his guaranteed spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.