Kieran Trippier / signed for Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

lysglimt

Scout
Has anyone mentioned a suggested transfer fee for Trippier - if we are talking £20 million or less, I am all for it - more than that and I think we should go for a younger option. But I welcome the competition

Danish Wizard

I really can't see the idea behind this.
Ethan Laird was brilliant at academy level, and had a very good loan to MK Dons last season.
Why not give him the opportunity to be back-up for Wan-Bissaka and then save the money to a position like CM or RW.?

Ethan Laird was brilliant at academy level, and had a very good loan to MK Dons last season.
Why not give him the opportunity to be back-up for Wan-Bissaka and then save the money to a position like CM or RW.?
he was playing in League 1. The idea is not to have two young developing players in the same position.

AWB is a good player, and had a great deal of potential to be better - what we need to drive that forward and give him and the team options is an experienced player, not one that is on his own learning and development trajectory.

Laird need time next season in the championship if he can get it. We want a player to be able to play at least 20-25 games, maybe more if they displace AWB. That profile of player is Trippier, not Liard. He can do this for 2-3 years, by which time AWB will hopefully be a more rounded and experienced player, then Laird can be his deputy.

these things never work out as planned - but that’s quite a good plan.

saivet

Where is this evidence he can play on the left coming from?
He's played there for England in a few games. There were a couple of international breaks last year where Chilwell and Shaw were both injured and he played at LB or LWB and did fine. Played there yesterday too and has shown he's capable of playing there on an emergency basis but nothing more than that.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
This. I am all for more depth, and Trippier is a good player, but hes 30 now so probably only has two good years left in him. If its a free transfer? Sure, but this is not something we should be spending on imo

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Presumably the idea is that Laird simply isn't ready yet. I'm sure the club have a better idea than us of whether he's ready to make the step up to fairly regular first team action. There's a hell of a difference between MK Dons and a side looking to compete for titles and in the CL. Laird may well be years away from that point.

In the meantime, signing a player who can step right in may be worthwhile, especially if it's for a relatively low price. In this case they'd be looking for someone who can have an impact on the squad immediately and offer something different to AWB, not someone who can grow into the role over time. Especially as over-promoting a young talent can hinder their development.

Danish Wizard

he was playing in League 1. The idea is not to have two young developing players in the same position.

AWB is a good player, and had a great deal of potential to be better - what we need to drive that forward and give him and the team options is an experienced player, not one that is on his own learning and development trajectory.

Laird need time next season in the championship if he can get it. We want a player to be able to play at least 20-25 games, maybe more if they displace AWB. That profile of player is Trippier, not Liard. He can do this for 2-3 years, by which time AWB will hopefully be a more rounded and experienced player, then Laird can be his deputy.

these things never work out as planned - but that’s quite a good plan.
20-25 games? Why would Wan-Bissaka suddenly be benched for up to half of our games.? I really can't see it.

And yes, I get MK Dons were in League One. And the important thing for Laird is - beside staying fit - is game time.

But Trippier at 20 million pounds, at 30 years old, and a huge wage. Is a big fat no thanks.

Red_toad

He’s not for sale and doesn’t want to come back to England? Why’s there drama here?

Walters_19_MuFc

He has played one game there at club level :lol:, and from what I remember he is pretty much right footed.
If he were to come to United, with Telles being the back up option to Shaw, I cant imagine he'd be used there much anyway.

That being said, he has shown he can do a decent enough job on the left for England if he were to be played there as a last resort option.

20-25 games? Why would Wan-Bissaka suddenly be benched for up to half of our games.? I really can't see it.

And yes, I get MK Dons were in League One. And the important thing for Laird is - beside staying fit - is game time.

But Trippier at 20 million pounds, at 30 years old, and a huge wage. Is a big fat no thanks.
he played more games than anyone else in Europe last season did he not? Might have been Maguire and Messi who played more.

we have a good balance at Left back, and Telles made… wait for it… 24 appearances last season.

we need depth in key areas where we can make a difference - an attacking RB coming on at the hour mark in some matches can make a big difference.

we need competition, and if that means some players playing less, so be it. Get your head down, work harder, be better. Shaw is a perfect example of this.

Noc-Z

ffs
The deal makes sense but is a reflection of our inadequate squad planning, which pre-dates Ole by a long way. Before Wan-Bissaka we had an aged winger who only ran into dead-ends playing RB (Valencia). He left and we brought in Wan-Bissaka. When we sign/bring in younger players/prospects we should have an experienced, proven player in that position for the new player to learn from and gradually take over from - a conveyor belt. In the past we have had this with young players coming in and being surrounded by proven, experienced winners (now we don't have that luxury). This feels the wrong way round to me but needs must. I just think our squad planning has been poor for many years.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Squad players, that old chestnut. Fast forward to AWB still playing 95% of the matches while Trippier turns into deadwood before our eyes. The only way he gets in enough to have a meaningful impact or develop chemistry is through a long injury. If we had a different manager sure but after what I’ve witnessed this season I feel like screaming (Ned Flanders style) when I see us linked with more players to add to the list of players who end up never playing for us but we pay them a fortune so its all good.

Widow

Squad players, that old chestnut. Fast forward to AWB still playing 95% of the matches while Trippier turns into deadwood before our eyes. The only way he gets in enough to have a meaningful impact or develop chemistry is through a long injury. If we had a different manager sure but after what I’ve witnessed this season I feel like screaming when I see us linked with more players to add to the list of players who end up never playing for us but we pay them a fortune so its all good.
This must be a joke, right?

Trip comes in and he gets a start! It's AWB that must improve to nail down the RB spot.

Ali Dia

This must be a joke, right?

Trip comes in and he gets a start! It's AWB that must improve to nail down the RB spot.
You might end up being right but I personally don’t see it that way at this moment in time. Also I don’t think he’ll leave Madrid. He’d be crazy to. AWB is one of Oles cornerstones of the team and he was almost never rotated no matter the fixture/previous performance levels/freshness. I fear trip is just another more expensive Telles waiting to happen. His lack of use of the squad and aversion to any kind of risky selection is easily my biggest complaint with Ole this season. I don’t see him totally changing over a summer no matter how poorly things finished up.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
As someone who lived 5 years in Barcelona, I can tell you one thing with certainty- Mundo Deportivo is as sh*t a source as you can get.

caid

You might end up being right but I personally don’t see it that way at this moment in time. Also I don’t think he’ll leave Madrid. He’d be crazy to. AWB is one of Oles cornerstones of the team and he was almost never rotated no matter the fixture/previous performance levels/freshness. I fear trip is just another more expensive Telles waiting to happen. His lack of use of the squad and aversion to any kind of risky selection is easily my biggest complaint with Ole this season. I don’t see him totally changing over a summer no matter how poorly things finished up.
We didn't have much alternative last season. I'm not keen on admitting it at this point but i think we were absolutely robbed on AWB and he's a bit crap. He's young enough and has enough assets to prove me wrong in the future but at this point an experienced player who knows the basics of defending the back post and can contribute a bit more going forward sounds like a good plan.

Coops73

I was listening to the Red News pod this morning and one of the guys on there said that his mate was really good friends with Trippier and that he had seen the text exchange where Trippier says he’s not coming to United, it’s all about getting a better contract from Atlético, I’m assuming he means all the press speculation.

Make of that what you will.

croadyman

Not worried at all because when people like Mitten & Whitwell talk it up you usually listen, also if memory serves me right don't think Mundo Deportivo are generally the best source for transfers. Whenever they talk up a Utd transfer I don't buy it so not going to panic about one that they are talking down either.

Last edited:

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I was listening to the Red News pod this morning and one of the guys on there said that his mate was really good friends with Trippier and that he had seen the text exchange where Trippier says he’s not coming to United, it’s all about getting a better contract from Atlético, I’m assuming he means all the press speculation.

Make of that what you will.
To be fair, with Trippier's recent gambling indiscretion, I think he would be wise to talk down any transfer rumours. :lol:

Ali Dia

We didn't have much alternative last season. I'm not keen on admitting it at this point but i think we were absolutely robbed on AWB and he's a bit crap. He's young enough and has enough assets to prove me wrong in the future but at this point an experienced player who knows the basics of defending the back post and can contribute a bit more going forward sounds like a good plan.
His back post defending isn’t top notch and he’s not exactly skinning players bursting forward but I’ve seen enough of him now to know that if he can keep his one on one defending ability and keep quietly improving his attacking output and it all comes together we are going to have some player on our hands for the rest of his career. I still think the scouts got this one right but he’s maturing slowly. I like his engine and I feel he can contribute when he takes a few more risks positionally.

el3mel

The idea is clear. Trippier is better than AWB.

Abraxas

I don't see the point either.

Too expensive as an overall package to sit on a bench or to come in for the odd game where we want his crossing prowess. Telles by comparison is fairly affordable by all accounts.

Simply being better than AWB doesn't mean he's a must sign either, there were 4 RBs in the England squad ahead of AWB, nevermind what is available worldwide. He is not a young player we need to balance against or allow him time to come good. He either continues to improve or eventually he will fade away. We would need longer term thinking than an aged Trippier bought just because he's there. We could probably get incremental improvements on many squad positions if we're willing to shell out on older players but it's not always the best thinking.

Widow

I don't see the point either.

Too expensive as an overall package to sit on a bench or to come in for the odd game where we want his crossing prowess. Telles by comparison is fairly affordable by all accounts.

Simply being better than AWB doesn't mean he's a must sign either, there were 4 RBs in the England squad ahead of AWB, nevermind what is available worldwide. He is not a young player we need to balance against or allow him time to come good. He either continues to improve or eventually he will fade away. We would need longer term thinking than an aged Trippier bought just because he's there. We could probably get incremental improvements on many squad positions if we're willing to shell out on older players but it's not always the best thinking.
He wouldn't sit on the though, he'd be a starter! Why do people go over the top about his age... He's 30 not 40!

Looks a perfect deal, sign him up

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just nipped in here and there's people suggesting Trippier is better than Wan Bissaka.

Amazing,

Surely he'd be the Telles to Shaw. Occasional games in the league cup, europa and home to West Brom, but 95% of the time benched?

Abraxas

He wouldn't sit on the though, he'd be a starter! Why do people go over the top about his age... He's 30 not 40!

Looks a perfect deal, sign him up
In your opinion he would be, it doesn't seem that cut and dry to many here. He's a good crosser of the ball but Wan-Bissaka has his benefits defensively and in terms of recovery speed if we are trying to press opponents more often, which does appear to be Ole's idea.

If he was better all-round it would be a better argument but it's an expensive package for some crossing and link up play, a decent player but no world beater, not one of the top players around and certainly never will be.

Being 30 does matter because the scouting department should have ten names we're keeping an eye on so Trippier isn't the only option. Some of those won't be 33 and creating another question mark in the squad at the end of their contract. Quite the opposite, they may be a much better player. Short termism isn't a good thing generally, there are times when it is acceptable because there is nothing much out there but we are talking about a position where we are not desperate or doesn't appear that hard to recruit for.

Widow

In your opinion he would be
That's all we have, opinions.

If the package is right then I can see it helping ABW. It's clear Ole doesn't have faith in Williams as his game time has been very limited.

Trippier has just won the league in Spain, is an international and has some of the qualities we lack in a RB.

I'm no AWB hater but he did play too many games last year. A player like Trip wouldn't halt his progression but lighten the load/pressure.

With 78 assists and 10 goals in his career, he would offer the balance we have lacked this year. AWB still has a big part to play with the defensive qualities he has too. Trip has also played 15 times on the right this season grabbing 4 assists, just another option.

Edit: I don't think Trippier is the best Rb in the world but if the numbers that have been reported are correct, it seems a good deal.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just nipped in here and there's people suggesting Trippier is better than Wan Bissaka.

Amazing,

Surely he'd be the Telles to Shaw. Occasional games in the league cup, europa and home to West Brom, but 95% of the time benched?
I think they would rotate far more as Shaw is better than Wan Bissaka and Trippier is better than Telles.

Trippier generally plays a huge part in build up play and creativity for whatever team he plays for. Wan Bissaka is far better defensively but not a patch on him on the ball. And since I've been loving these charts as player comparisons lately, here's a couple comparing Shaw & Telles, and then Wan Bissaka & Trippier. Lines up with the eye test but really puts it on paper just how big of a difference there is creatively between Trippier and AWB (and how great Shaw has been).

Top right is passing/creativity, bottom right is dribbling, left half defending.

Status
Not open for further replies.