Kieran Trippier / signed for Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Armchair managers unite!
People are allowed their opinions, I don't see you signing every one of your opinionated posts with "armchair manager", which you are as much as everyone else you've called out.

Adamsk7

I don’t see the problem with him being first choice - Wan Bissaka probably needs a year or two to progress and getting him out the firing line because we have good alternatives is quite helpful. Trippier will likely play against the lower half of the table and Wan Bissaka when we need to do a number on a good winger. Horses for courses

RUCK4444

Personally don’t want us to throw big money at this signing.

He’s decent, no doubt, the moment he has a lapse defensively AWB will lock down that right side for the rest of the season so in reality this is not a starting 11 signing.

The big issue with the last window was we did not really strengthen the starting 11.
We have major weaknesses to address, throwing 35-40 million on Trippier puts a dent in the funds available to actually strengthen us on the pitch, that’s my concern.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don’t understand why we’re apparently only now figuring out that Wan Bissaka is rubbish going forward. Was this not abundantly clear when watching him for Palace?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

He’s decent, no doubt, the moment he has a lapse defensively AWB will lock down that right side for the rest of the season so in reality this is not a starting 11 signing.

The big issue with the last window was we did not really strengthen the starting 11.
We have major weaknesses to address, throwing 35-40 million on Trippier puts a dent in the funds available to actually strengthen us on the pitch, that’s my concern.
In my opinion Trippier would be a massive upgrade on AWB in most games. 3/4 of the league park the bus, Trippier is much better in that scenario than AWB.

Andrew7582

Trippier will be 31 in a couple of months, signing him would only have made sense if he was available for a similar fee to Telles. Atletico want serious cash for him though so we need to move on from this.

Beaucoup

I'd rather not even bother signing him and promote from within.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's an ideal signing. You never (or well, you shouldn't) sign players specifically to be benchwarmers. You buy players with similar levels of ability to what you have to push the team. It's either a player who is flatout better than what you have, or someone who directly competes.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Disrespectful :lol:
Unusually I'm quite content if that's our opening offer. Given the demands of the window, our limited budget, and terrible track record in recouping money, we'll have to be extra diligent this time around. The pressure will be on Ole from the start of next season, and rightly so. Of course Atletico aren't getting anything close to 30m for a 31 year old right back (who may not fit their non-EU slot allotment for next season anyway). If this is workable on the cheap, great. If not, it would probably make sense to look for other experienced right backs who offer something in the final third - only losing out on his being English and from around these parts.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Atletico can be shocked as much as they want but no one is paying close to 35 mil € for a 30+ years old Trippier with 1 year left on his contract. We should move on quickly if this is what they are really asking for.

RUCK4444

In my opinion Trippier would be a massive upgrade on AWB in most games. 3/4 of the league park the bus, Trippier is much better in that scenario than AWB.
Thing is, we heard exactly the same about Shaw being a level below Telles and that we would see a massive improvement from a ‘proper attacking fullback.’

Remember that, iirc, AWB has more goals and assists than Walker and a few other ‘attacking fullbacks.’

The thing is, it’s a trade off in these comparisons. Imo what Trippier offers going forward isn’t vastly better than AWB, while on the other hand AWB is an elite defensive fullback and the amount of points his interceptions save us cannot be quantified in the same way generic goals/assist numbers can for an ‘attacking fullback.’

Abraxas

Sounds a reasonable first offer. We may wish to increase it slightly but nothing like the quoted figures. It is simply not worth it for Trippier, a reasonable player but if we are paying 35 million euros on a player of that age and profile then it makes next to no sense in this particular window, following corona and considering priorities. If you are going to pay that it may as well go towards a long-term RB target.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
We'll probably get him for 20mil incl. addons. Same as Telles, decent player and will give a good option/competition to AWB.

wolvored

That makes no sense. We spunked a record fee on AWB, he's still very much progressing, probably played the most minutes out of any outfield player in Europe last season (there was this infographic going round prior to Maguire getting injured that had them two ahead of the rest). There is no way we stifle his development for Trippier. If he comes, it'll be because he's relatively cheap, and he can ease the burden on AWB, provide some experience and a different tactical option.
I can't see Trippier coming if he's going to sit on the bench for the vast majority of the games in his present circumstances. Maybe Ole realises WanB is at his top level already and never Be able to play the same game as Shaw on the other side for example. Trippier can.

prateik

They are completely right in valuing him at whatever they want.. their player.. under contract.. If he is worth 100m to them, so be it.

I dont think we will pay anywhere close to that amount for a backup RB. Not a priority. Not happening.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
They are completely right in valuing him at whatever they want.. their player.. under contract.. If he is worth 100m to them, so be it.

I dont think we will pay anywhere close to that amount for a backup RB. Not a priority. Not happening.
Trippier was actually a really important player for Atleti this season, really their only guy Simeone was willing to play at RB in a back four. When he got suspended their tactical options really narrowed. Vrsaljko played a little, but only as a wing back and he has missed a huge amount of time through injury the last few years so its unclear whether he will ever really regain his previous level. He is also out of contract next summer.

Long story short, if they sell Trippier they need to buy at least one and maybe two players capable of playing RB this summer. They are probably willing to cash in at the right price but they won't be looking to give him away cheaply. Like you said, it might be a case where the two clubs each have reasonable valuations for their own purposes but those valuations just don't intersect.

Rolaholic

He was named to the La Liga team of the season after playing an influential role on a title winning squad yet Atleti are supposed to accept a fee lower than FB's from the Championship :lol:

30m would be fair and I won't blame them if they don't sell for less. They're better off keeping him than selling for cheap and having to get a replacement

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Atletico can be shocked as much as they want but no one is paying close to 35 mil € for a 30+ years old Trippier with 1 year left on his contract. We should move on quickly if this is what they are really asking for.
pretty sure I read his contract runs until 2023 so he's got 2 years left on it

TheReligion

Abusive
Athletico bullying Tripps. Disgusting. He's helped them win the league and now wants to come home. Stop being so two faced and let him move.

Treating him like a slave FFS

Rolaholic

They can value him at 100m but 15m offer isn't disrespectful.
A club like Liverpool signed a FB from the Greek league for around that amount who hardly played for them last summer.

Trippier is at least twice as valuable

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He was named to the La Liga team of the season after playing an influential role on a title winning squad yet Atleti are supposed to accept a fee lower than FB's from the Championship :lol:

30m would be fair and I won't blame them if they don't sell for less. They're better off keeping him than selling for cheap and having to get a replacement
Eh, he's turning 31 at the start of the season and has a contract until 2023, and they bought him for £20m in 2019. It's dependent on if he wants to leave to go back to England, but if he did want to go, Atletico getting back their money post covid to what they paid pre-covid, for a player 2 years older and with just 2 years left on his contract (after him helping win the title) really isn't bad business for them.

crossy1686

career ending
I don’t see the problem with him being first choice - Wan Bissaka probably needs a year or two to progress and getting him out the firing line because we have good alternatives is quite helpful. Trippier will likely play against the lower half of the table and Wan Bissaka when we need to do a number on a good winger. Horses for courses
Honestly, I'd play Wan-Bissaka CB as part of a back 3 and Trippier as a wing back. I think that's probably both their best positions and would sure us up better than McFred

Adamsk7

Honestly, I'd play Wan-Bissaka CB as part of a back 3 and Trippier as a wing back. I think that's probably both their best positions and would sure us up better than McFred
I don’t want Wan Bissaka anywhere near centre back - his primary gift is slide tackling and that is something you DONT want a centre back to be doing, especially in the box. When he does it out wide it’s fine because the ball goes out of play - if he does it in the middle of the pitch, the ball will probably just go to the oppositions player while he’ll be on his arse. Also let’s not talk about his positioning for crosses!

He’s a right back and will be a damn good one in a couple of years and if not, then he’ll be a great squad player to have. No harm in that.

Abraxas

It's not as simple as he was excellent last season therefore worth 30 mill or comparing him to random RBs. He's worth whatever a buying club will pay and the only interested party appears to be us. Athletico have the right to demand whatever they wish but they probably won't get it, in that case the market wouldn't value him at what they want.

He's fairly old and contract expiring, far more important factors than last season. Nobody wants to pay 30 million for such players unless they're exceptional or maybe a goalscorer.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Don’t want him but least he will be a different option from the right. Against lower sides especially

Rolaholic

It's not as simple as he was excellent last season therefore worth 30 mill or comparing him to random RBs. He's worth whatever a buying club will pay and the only interested party appears to be us. Athletico have the right to demand whatever they wish but they probably won't get it, in that case the market wouldn't value him at what they want.

He's fairly old and contract expiring, far more important factors than last season. Nobody wants to pay 30 million for such players unless they're exceptional or maybe a goalscorer.
Maybe not but it certainly explains why Atleti value him the way they do and if no one wants to pay that then I'm sure they'll be more than fine with that as well :lol:

They don't have to sell right now nor have any pressure to so they hold all the leverage there

Tom Van Persie

No relation

One year left on his contract and Atletico aren't exactly flush with cash.

Rolaholic

One year left on his contract and Atletico aren't exactly flush with cash.
How so? They were able to afford the 4th highest transfer fee of all time 2 summers ago and were meant to be a 'founding club' of the superleague.

They're not some selling club or minnow though are they and are coming off a league title, they absolutely don't need to sell anyone that they don't want to...

Trippier's also got 2 years left as his deal expires in 2023 btw

Tom Van Persie

No relation
How so? They were able to afford the 4th highest transfer fee of all time 2 summers ago and were meant to be a 'founding club' of the superleague.

They're not some selling club or minnow though are they and are coming off a league title, they absolutely don't need to sell anyone that they don't want to...

Trippier's also got 2 years left as his deal expires in 2023 btw
They're in massive debt. Reported to be over 800 million.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
A club like Liverpool signed a FB from the Greek league for around that amount who hardly played for them last summer.

Trippier is at least twice as valuable
Says who ? They can value him at 100m but 15-20m is a reasonable fees for a 31 year old full back entering last years of contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.