Kieran Trippier / signed for Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZT-One

I’d rather we signed a DM first
Understandable take and I am quite gravitating to agreeing with this but I think, a RB that is comfortable on the ball might benefit us just as much. I mean, AWB has been a target for opposition press tactics. That isn't a coincidence. And even if he got a bit better later in the season, he certainly isn't on a good level but more not on a shitty level anymore. We signed Sancho for the right-wing, a real RW needs a RB to make use of space. There is a question what helps us more - AWB good to very good defensive capabilities or a RB which might be a bit worse in this aspect but way better on the offense.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Understandable take and I am quite gravitating to agreeing with this but I think, a RB that is comfortable on the ball might benefit us just as much. I mean, AWB has been a target for opposition press tactics. That isn't a coincidence. And even if he got a bit better later in the season, he certainly isn't on a good level but more not on a shitty level anymore. We signed Sancho for the right-wing, a real RW needs a RB to make use of space. There is a question what helps us more - AWB good to very good defensive capabilities or a RB which might be a bit worse in this aspect but way better on the offense.
We've already spend around 110m. I don't believe we have funds to go for several more players this summer. DM first, if we managed to sell others to raise more cash, we might then buy a RB as last priority.

kps88

We've already spend around 110m. I don't believe we have funds to go for several more players this summer. DM first, if we managed to sell others to raise more cash, we might then buy a RB as last priority.
As much as I'd like a DM, we at least have bodies in midfield. Our backup RBs at the moment are Dalot and Williams, neither have shown enough to be trusted to play every week. And it sounds like they both want to leave/go out on loan. If AWB gets a long term injury, we'll be in big trouble.

Digital Forward

Supports
Atlético de Madrid
I consider Athletico Madrid to have a much lower wage bill and they want to get as much money from United as possible, Utd will wait and play the chess game, plus United need to move on some players to get them off the wage bill too.

Paying a dollar over 15m for Tripper is madness.
Atlético don't want to sell Trippier because of his special profile as a RB/WB.

He's someone who initiates attacks, plays the final pass from different positions and combines well. Crosses the ball well too and he also understands the system of play after several seasons at the club. It's just normal Atlético want an excessive amount of money for him because there's no real alternative available to replace him in the current market - especially at that budget.

But it's equally understandable that he wants to return to England. United offer him a long contract and his family is there.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
As much as I'd like a DM, we at least have bodies in midfield. Our backup RBs at the moment are Dalot and Williams, neither have shown enough to be trusted to play every week. And it sounds like they both want to leave/go out on loan. If AWB gets a long term injury, we'll be in big trouble.
I don't know, AWB will played most of the games, we only need a backup who would play a few games there in a season. We might even play Mctominay there for a few game, not ideal I know, but its just a few games, and Mctominay has played RB for Scotland in Euro.

lex talionis

No doubt I'm in the minority here but I view a bringing in capable RB like Trippier as a higher priority than a huge spend on a CDM like Rice.

As much as we hate the idea of McFred, we really didn't get overrun in midfield last season. Lindelof got bullied and we were abysmal in defending set pieces, neither of which Rice would have solved. But we were weak in attack on the right side, which Sancho helps immensely with, but AWB didn't exactly shower himself in glory in the final third.

Injuries happen, rest will be needed and perhaps Trippier will win the job off AWB. Whatever the case may be, it would be a crime to have spent a huge transfer fee on Sancho and not give him at least the option of a better RB than AWB.

We need to start winning trophies, not just dreaming about the future as these young players develop. AWB stalled out and to some degree regressed last season. That can't be ignored.

Red4Life_#7

Atlético don't want to sell Trippier because of his special profile as a RB/WB.

He's someone who initiates attacks, plays the final pass from different positions and combines well. Crosses the ball well too and he also understands the system of play after several seasons at the club. It's just normal Atlético want an excessive amount of money for him because there's no real alternative available to replace him in the current market - especially at that budget.

But it's equally understandable that he wants to return to England. United offer him a long contract and his family is there.
You've cut half of what I have written, I was comparing Real to Atlético and why Real would want to sell opposed to Atlético. Atlético know they can't hold on to an English player with 1 year left on his contract who wants to return home.

He is exactly what United need as you have mentioned his skillset. This deal will probably drag on till the end of the window and 40m+ the reported fee Atlético want is way too high especially with what United paid for Varane.

£12m is more realistic for a 30 y/o who isn't on the level of Varane. If not Utd should just wait till next year and keep Dalot as backup to AWB.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
No doubt I'm in the minority here but I view a bringing in capable RB like Trippier as a higher priority than a huge spend on a CDM like Rice.

As much as we hate the idea of McFred, we really didn't get overrun in midfield last season. Lindelof got bullied and we were abysmal in defending set pieces, neither of which Rice would have solved. But we were weak in attack on the right side, which Sancho helps immensely with, but AWB didn't exactly shower himself in glory in the final third.

Injuries happen, rest will be needed and perhaps Trippier will win the job off AWB. Whatever the case may be, it would be a crime to have spent a huge transfer fee on Sancho and not give him at least the option of a better RB than AWB.

We need to start winning trophies, not just dreaming about the future as these young players develop. AWB stalled out and to some degree regressed last season. That can't be ignored.
The problem with McFred isn’t an issue of overrunning, it’s them being a bit useless in tight 0-0/draws against smaller sides. We had an awful lot of draws last season, and a big part of that in my opinion was Bruno getting man marked out of matches with our central midfield not being able to circulate the ball around quickly enough or create clear cut chances.

I agree with most of the rest of what you’re saying. For me though, it’s a CM first, and Trippier toward the end of the summer.

pawanraj

I think Trippier is someone that ticks a lot of boxes for us that’s why.

- A very good backup right back which we currently don’t have
- Wants to come to the club and would be happy to be a backup
- Proven quality in the premier league.
- He has good attacking qualities for a full back. Particularly crossing. This will be one of the key reasons we want to sign him because he will be most useful in games at Old trafford where teams are parking the bus. We struggled with this last season when AWB didn’t offer anything going forward when breaking a low block team.
- He would be relatively cheap
He's also very different from AWB, and gives us flexibility to play 3-5-2 if we want. He's also a league winner which we don't have too many of in the squad. And he's home grown, which is a plus.

In short, besides being a capable backup, he brings complementary qualities and helps us become a well rounded squad.

Reactions: Sultan

Jacob

I think people are too critical of AWB. He's more than capable of being a regular in a title winning team. Otherwise we wouldn't be looking at soon-to-be 31 year old Trippier. Sure, his crossing and dribbling can improve but he's never going to be Dani Alves. His defensive attributes will always be at the forefront of his toolbox.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I think people are too critical of AWB. He's more than capable of being a regular in a title winning team. Otherwise we wouldn't be looking at soon-to-be 31 year old Trippier. Sure, his crossing and dribbling can improve but he's never going to be Dani Alves. His defensive attributes will always be at the forefront of his toolbox.
It's not that, it's about squad depth. We're lucky that AWB is relatively injury free but what happens if he gets injured? We have Williams and Dalot as RBs. Neither of these two should be starting for a top 4 team.

Chief123

I think AWB had a lot of focus on him last season for due to the fact he was often our primary player providing width on the right wing. We never had anyone who wanted to stay out there as Greenwood, Rashford, Mata always would come inside.

I think the fact Sancho will be providing width from the right will allow AWB to do what he does best which is lock down the opponents left wing.

I do think AWB will shine this season just because of the 2 new players who are going to be playing either side of him in Sancho and Varane.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I think AWB had a lot of focus on him last season for due to the fact he was often our primary player providing width on the right wing. We never had anyone who wanted to stay out there as Greenwood, Rashford, Mata always would come inside.

I think the fact Sancho will be providing width from the right will allow AWB to do what he does best which is lock down the opponents left wing..
Sancho drifts inside all the time?

Chief123

Sancho drifts inside all the time?
Yes Sancho does drift inside but he’s equally able to go around the outside and get the ball in from around the full backs. This is something any of our current wing forwards do often or like doing. The fact that Sancho is happy to provide width and is one of the best at it makes it very different. I thought it’s pretty obvious to see the difference in Greenwood and Sancho playing on the wing?

theklr

Yes Sancho does drift inside but he’s equally able to go around the outside and get the ball in from around the full backs. This is something any of our current wing forwards do often or like doing. The fact that Sancho is happy to provide width and is one of the best at it makes it very different. I thought it’s pretty obvious to see the difference in Greenwood and Sancho playing on the wing?
He mostly drifts inside when he’s playing on the left , while he goes on the outside / holds the width on the right , like a classic winger

NZT-One

But still we would be the first team around being able to form a proper attack down a certain side with just one player (Sancho) while every other team uses two players to do this. The separation (winger only responsible for attack, full back only responsible for defense) had died the death of time. If Sancho stays wide, we would still be better off having a player to under-lap his runs, which probably even increases the requirements on the player needed in terms of ball playing abilities.

I like Wan Bissaka, but I think, a lot of praise he gets (to quote you "more than capable of being a regular in a title winning side") has little substance. Lets have a look at the Right Backs around: TAA, Walker/Cancelo, Reece James, Carvajal, Sergi Roberto, Trippier, Hakimi, Parvard, Meunier, Cuadrado - I think, it is safe to say, there is a pattern there in terms of ball playing ability. So your thinking about AWB being capable is based mostly on hope, which isn't a bad thing in itself, but I hope the club is approaching the issue more business-like than that.

I mean, the the injury aspect in itself is huge, the missing out on potential factor might be just as big. I am not opposing wanting a DM/CM whatever this summer, but it seems, Ole isn't interested and there are almost no quality links. If that's the case, full force towards Trippier. He is fine, he is english, he wants back to England, he is experienced. What else could we ask for? Look what some competition did for Shaw - noone in this squad earned a status of being untouchable. Certainly not AWB. For me, that's not an indicator of missing trust in the player, it is an indicator of us acting like the big club we are.

Edit: Have just seen, it wasn't you, who said that AWB would be capable. Apologies for that.

Last edited:

lex talionis

The problem with McFred isn’t an issue of overrunning, it’s them being a bit useless in tight 0-0/draws against smaller sides. We had an awful lot of draws last season, and a big part of that in my opinion was Bruno getting man marked out of matches with our central midfield not being able to circulate the ball around quickly enough or create clear cut chances.

I agree with most of the rest of what you’re saying. For me though, it’s a CM first, and Trippier toward the end of the summer.
McDread (just having fun!) holding City and Liverpool to 0-0 is actually doing its job. We create enough, not many but enough, chances to put both Liverpool and City away.

Improve chance conversion and improve set piece defending and we can take three points off these top clubs and keep the banana peels to the like of Sheffield to a draw.

That said, I’d be thrilled if we could bring in both Saul and Trippier.

NZT-One

McDread (just having fun!) holding City and Liverpool to 0-0 is actually doing its job. We create enough, not many but enough, chances to put both Liverpool and City away.

Improve chance conversion and improve set piece defending and we can take three points off these top clubs and keep the banana peels to the like of Sheffield to a draw.

That said, I’d be thrilled if we could bring in both Saul and Trippier.
Comparing our xG-stats to the rest of teams in the league, it shows two things, that we were well below City and Liverpool overall and that our forwards overperformed their xG. Chance conversion wasn't the issue, the dull, boring, lackluster performances were. The 0:0's where we were not able to create chances at all. And that isn't just because Bruno had a bad day or McFred being "not good enough" - it was because we were not able or willing to play with purpose, to challenge ourselves by not always choosing the option with the lowest risk. It is an issue that appears all over the squad and the straightest way out of it is getting more comfortable on the ball on each and every position. Of course a team can compensate one or two players who aren't great with the ball but provide other excellent traits. But I didn't see enough of that in AWB until today.

Our results against the top6 weren't great, but they were just fine. Nothing to brag about but also nothing of a "we have to act"-magnitude (knowing, there are a few things that need some polishment in the team).
Certainly we didn't lose out league wise because of chance conversion.

I agree on the set piece defending thing though. But am very hopeful this is covered now by Varane and the new coach.

lucashood

We haven't actually spent that much. The Sancho and Varane deals are being paid in instalments over I think 5 years so whilst the deals will end up costing 110 thats nothing for us over that period of time

gajender

We haven't actually spent that much. The Sancho and Varane deals are being paid in instalments over I think 5 years so whilst the deals will end up costing 110 thats nothing for us over that period of time
When you put it that way it makes sense but then you realise most Transfers are done in instalments and complete fee being paid upfront are exceptions to the rule and budgeting is always done on total outlay not on instalments .
It's not as if we aren't paying instalments for other players we have acquired in past it all adds up so truth to be told our summer transfer budget is more or less done and unless we sell some players chances are there would be no further incoming.

lex talionis

Comparing our xG-stats to the rest of teams in the league, it shows two things, that we were well below City and Liverpool overall and that our forwards overperformed their xG. Chance conversion wasn't the issue, the dull, boring, lackluster performances were. The 0:0's where we were not able to create chances at all. And that isn't just because Bruno had a bad day or McFred being "not good enough" - it was because we were not able or willing to play with purpose, to challenge ourselves by not always choosing the option with the lowest risk. It is an issue that appears all over the squad and the straightest way out of it is getting more comfortable on the ball on each and every position. Of course a team can compensate one or two players who aren't great with the ball but provide other excellent traits. But I didn't see enough of that in AWB until today.

Our results against the top6 weren't great, but they were just fine. Nothing to brag about but also nothing of a "we have to act"-magnitude (knowing, there are a few things that need some polishment in the team).
Certainly we didn't lose out league wise because of chance conversion.

I agree on the set piece defending thing though. But am very hopeful this is covered now by Varane and the new coach.
I agree with much of what you’ve written here, but my eyes tell me a different story with respect to our finishing. Pogba was clean through against Liverpool and truly should have scored the match winner. I can’t recall the opponent now, but Martial had two glorious chances in a match in which we dropped points.

We scored some improbable goals, McTominay and Bruno come to mind, but whatever the xG stats may say there’s no way it can be argued that Martial, Greenwood and Rashford scored their fair share of goals this season.

We can always improve midfield play and every other aspect of play, but in attack our finishing by our forwards (and Pogba) was poor and our set pieces defending was abysmal.

We could bring in prime Roy Keane to strengthen our midfield, but it’s up to the forwards to do their job.

dinostar77

Graham Hunter was saying he doesn't think this deal will happen even though trippier wants it to. Athletic don't want to sell and will only do so if forced by a stupid offer. Utd won't put in a stupid offer. Also if Trippier plays x number of games next season for athletic then an automatic one year extention of his contract will be triggered.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Graham Hunter was saying he doesn't think this deal will happen even though trippier wants it to. Athletic don't want to sell and will only do so if forced by a stupid offer. Utd won't put in a stupid offer. Also if Trippier plays x number of games next season for athletic then an auto3one year extention of his contract will be triggered.
Tried to make this point last week but a poster kept being pedantic. From Atletico's pov, he effectively has two years, not one year.

RkkMan

Graham Hunter was saying he doesn't think this deal will happen even though trippier wants it to. Athletic don't want to sell and will only do so if forced by a stupid offer. Utd won't put in a stupid offer. Also if Trippier plays x number of games next season for athletic then an auto3one year extention of his contract will be triggered.
I stopped trusting Graham Hunter after all the lies he gave Utd fans during the Ramos saga. Trippier may or may not stay but taking Hunter's word for it is jumping the gun.
The English media have been very insistent from the start he has only one year and he'll push for the move so let's wait and see what happens towards the end of the window

Castia

Would love Trippier but it looks like he’s going to be priced out of a move, besides if we’re to make one more signing it has to be a midfielder.

Acole9

Outstanding
Graham Hunter was saying he doesn't think this deal will happen even though trippier wants it to. Athletic don't want to sell and will only do so if forced by a stupid offer. Utd won't put in a stupid offer. Also if Trippier plays x number of games next season for athletic then an automatic one year extention of his contract will be triggered.
I'd take what he says with a pinch of salt, massive bullshitter.

RkkMan

Having followed the guy on Twitter since the window started I can vouch for his reliability

Dolf

Turns 31 in september. Still not sure why we want him unless it’s for a crazy low fee

Leonzo1

Ah yes, the age old Caf belief that football players turn to dust at the age of 32.

Jacob

Having followed the guy on Twitter since the window started I can vouch for his reliability
Throwing a fit doesn't help much, does it? I could even make it worse for himself.

OrcaFat

Turns 31 in september. Still not sure why we want him unless it’s for a crazy low fee
31 is not all that old these days. But he probably has two good seasons before, if he’s typical, he begins to decline.

It’s always important to pay the right amount for a player, I suppose. So the question is: what exactly (or approximately) is a crazy low fee in this case?

I don’t think we’ll want to spend more than £25m. Maybe that is too much. Crazy low for a player of his quality and age would be £10m, maybe?

What would a 31-year-old Gary Neville be worth…

redshaw

The triggering of another year really changes things as he will no doubt play enough games.

croadyman

Would have been happy with signing him IF it was alongside a midfield one, otherwise feels very underwhelming indeed

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
If that happens he will get a very warm reception away to Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.