Kieran Trippier / signed for Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
No way we're signing him tbh. Atletico on course to win la Liga and by the end of the season we'd be better off looking long term.

croadyman

Awb, tfm, Dalot, Williams, laird

I don't think we are getting another right back... wouldnt mind seeing laird and Williams loaned out for the rest of the season though
Think if Laird can find some consistent form with the u23's and stay fit for a sustained period of time he has a chance

I think he has the potential to be the best of the lot... I'm really hopeful he goes on loan next season and gets some competitive experience
I think he’s more likely not to make it, that to become part of our squad.

if we want competition for AWB, or even to replace him, like some suggest, we don’t have time to wait and see if Laird comes good.

croadyman

I think he’s more likely not to make it, that to become part of our squad.

if we want competition for AWB, or even to replace him, like some suggest, we don’t have time to wait and see if Laird comes good.
If we were looking for more of an all round replacement then could see us going for Lamptey,however if we just want forward thinking cover then can understand going for Trippier

Gordon S

Awb, tfm, Dalot, Williams, laird

I don't think we are getting another right back... wouldnt mind seeing laird and Williams loaned out for the rest of the season though
Right now, only AWB is good enough for our first team. One of the others might develop into one some day but if AWB gets long term injury we are in trouble.

croadyman

Right now, only AWB is good enough for our first team. One of the others might develop into one some day but if AWB gets long term injury we are in trouble.
I just wish he had more going forward and was better on the ball. There is obviously something not right with him becsuse even his defending is off at the moment.

justsomebloke

We do seem to need something on right back. Wan-Bissaka has now started 17 straight games, by my reckoning - every game since the league cup tie against Brighton. That isn't going to work. No wonder his game seems a bit off at the moment.

croadyman

We do seem to need something on right back. Wan-Bissaka has now started 17 straight games, by my reckoning - every game since the league cup tie against Brighton. That isn't going to work. No wonder his game seems a bit off at the moment.
Would take him as someone who gives us much more going forward and better on the ball as well

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Banned for 10 weeks. Doubt we’ll pursue this now.

lsd

The Oracle
Yeah what a great buy he would be? An overrated very average full back in his 30s with a gambling problem.

croadyman

Banned for 10 weeks. Doubt we’ll pursue this now.
If we are still looking to bring someone in to provide competition for AWB then will hear something in next couple of weeks.

I have no idea who that could be but gut feeling is we are looking for a forward thinking option who is experienced.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Yeah what a great buy he would be? An overrated very average full back in his 30s with a gambling problem.
He's not over rated. He's a good player. Currently playing for the best team in Spain for the best defensive manager in world football.

I think we will go for him for the summer. Could give us a few good years and he will be very cheap too given his contract situation.

lsd

The Oracle
He's not over rated. He's a good player. Currently playing for the best team in Spain for the best defensive manager in world football.

I think we will go for him for the summer. Could give us a few good years and he will be very cheap too given his contract situation.

He is a defender playing in the most defensive team in Europe he is going to look ok. Even Maguire would look good playing Centre Back for Athletico but hey let's wait till he is even older and put him in our team in a far quicker league

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You don't bring in a early 20s full back for 50m and then starting sniffing around Trippier. That's mania.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If we don't, I can't see why it should be because of this.
He’s not that young, and 2.5 months worth of football isn’t negligible I don’t think. Especially at this stage of the season. We may pursue another alternative who can actually help us in the second half of the season.

Okey

He’s not that young, and 2.5 months worth of football isn’t negligible I don’t think. Especially at this stage of the season. We may pursue another alternative who can actually help us in the second half of the season.
Fair enough.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I hope we sign him, just so I can hear Martin Keown pronouncing his surname like a French 'er' verb.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He is a defender playing in the most defensive team in Europe he is going to look ok. Even Maguire would look good playing Centre Back for Athletico but hey let's wait till he is even older and put him in our team in a far quicker league
That's not how it works, it's a credit to Trippier he nailed a spot down in Simeone's team. Diego suffers no fools. He's not being "protected" as you're insinuating.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The thing is he's still picked for England regularly too. AWB doesn't even get a look in. There's a reason.

Trippier isn't world class but guess what we can't have 17 world class players. It simply doesn't work that way. He would offer us far more than AWB does when we have the ball. There's no doubt about that.

Robertd0803

Wouldnt the ban mean he cant move anyway? If hes banned from all football related activity would a medical and signing for a team not count as activity? Or is it only matchdays he is banned from?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Unbanned now, temporarily anyway:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jan/02/kieran-trippier-betting-ban-suspended-fa-fifa

Atletico's comments quite funny, they have a point:
“Personally, I think it’s a suspension that is disproportionate for the player and totally unjust for Atlético,” said the club’s CEO, Miguel Ángel Gil Marín. “How can it be possible that the party that is most negatively effected by this is Atlético, which hasn’t played any part in the process? If the player has committed an infraction that does not have any effect on the competition, how can it be Atlético is the one punished by this?

“The fact that the FA has punished the player by preventing him from playing against Chelsea, and that the ban just happens to finish just as the England national team is scheduled to play a competitive game, makes you think all sorts of things about the integrity of the competition and the ethics of a football association with a long history.”
Chances of him transferring this season pretty close to zero given how important he is to Atletico I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.