Kieran Trippier / signed for Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I judged Tripper from watching him play over the years. Good crosser, crap pace, crap defending, Spurs fans wanted him out. Very short memories here.
he’s a good player, who had gone on and done well for a top side and plays internationally - ahead of AWB!

he’s exactly the right profile of player we want to compete and provide cover for AWB.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
For someone making a lot of stupid comparisons you probably shouldn't judge to be fair.
I really haven’t made comparisons, just calling a spade a spade. Trippier is and always has been a very average player. Maybe he can make me eat my words and do a solid job for us but I suspect he will be deemed the next in the deadwood pile here when people realise he can’t really defend, nor does he have any pace at all.

TrustInJanuzaj

he’s a good player, who had gone on and done well for a top side and plays internationally - ahead of AWB!

he’s exactly the right profile of player we want to compete and provide cover for AWB.
Maybe, could well be proven right. I just don’t rate him especially as a fullback. As a wingback he’s potentially slightly better (no idea what Atletico play).

Tiber

Pretty crap would be a much closer assessment than ‘very good’. This thread is classically reactionary though. I guarantee when he left for Spain most fans would have said he’s average and they didn’t care. One half decent season and he’s back to being an option?
I have no strong views either direction re. a backup right back.

I just find Telles a very low bar so far.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I would be very happy with him. He’s not as good defensively but on the ball he’s lightyears ahead of Wan-Bissaka. Great option against mid-lower table teams.

It’s worth noting he is way ahead of Aaron in the England pecking order. Although, it’s Southgate isn’t it....

bsCallout

That’s not really what I was saying. Can see how it’s been misconstrued though. My point was if he was in fact a ‘very good RB’ he wouldn’t have spent the best part of 8 years at Spurs anyway and would have moved on to bigger and better things much earlier. Remember that for much of that time he was second best behind Kyle Walker and then once he became first choice he didn’t take the mantle. Spurs fans were begging for him to be sold at the end.
He was at Tottenham for 4 years. Spurs fans were typically reactionary because he had a dip in form after a great world cup(lots of players do) and was suffering from injuries. Fan opinion is hardly much to go on.

After the world cup a few clubs were interested including us.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Maybe, could well be proven right. I just don’t rate him especially as a fullback. As a wingback he’s potentially slightly better (no idea what Atletico play).
Same here. Ok at crossing and if he was in his early 20's, ok. But nothing special really.

welshwingwizard

Sure but we don't have to spend anything on Dalot as we already have him. Will earn significantly less too.
But he's not as good. We have James and Lingard so why spend on Sancho. We have Martial so why spend on Kane. We have Perreira so why buy a midfielder...etc etc.

Dalot has played limited games for AC Milan this season in a weaker league. So he couldn't hold down a place there. And when he did get games they were more at left back not right back. What makes you think he is capable of stepping in to be our right back if AWB gets injured?

Lynty

How much is he valued?

A 30 year old with 1 year on his contract. Atletico would be better off keeping for the final year than letting him go for less than £15m. He's worth more than that to them.

Lennon

Imo he is an okay-ish player! Not that bad and not a world beater. I am more concerned about his professionalism and attitude off the pitch.
I just think a Max Aarons who is younger and at a same price level, would be the better choice.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
But we don't want an early 20's RB? He's backup/cover with AWB and most likely Laird in mind for the future.
Understood.
But not sure that as a current England international he would be happy to just be cover.

bsCallout

Understood.
But not sure that as a current England international he would be happy to just be cover.
He won't be in the England squad for the next tournament that's for sure.

Edit: He's also a local lad so may well be looking for the chance to be closer to home.

TrustInJanuzaj

But he's not as good. We have James and Lingard so why spend on Sancho. We have Martial so why spend on Kane. We have Perreira so why buy a midfielder...etc etc.

Dalot has played limited games for AC Milan this season in a weaker league. So he couldn't hold down a place there. And when he did get games they were more at left back not right back. What makes you think he is capable of stepping in to be our right back if AWB gets injured?
There’s no guarantee that Dalot is good enough, frankly I’m not convinced he is. But equally I don’t think Trippier is good enough either so I’d rather not throw more money away.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He won't be in the England squad for the next tournament that's for sure.

Edit: He's also a local lad so may well be looking for the chance to be closer to home.
Point taken.
But that doesn't alter my view. Pretty average.

bsCallout

I judged Tripper from watching him play over the years. Good crosser, crap pace, crap defending, Spurs fans wanted him out. Very short memories here.
It's ironic that you claim we have short memories when you didn't even know that he was only at Spurs for four years and youre basing it on Spurs fan opinion after a post WC dip in form couples with injuries.

He was a good player before Tottenham, he then looked very good for Tottenham and had a really good WC and like many players had a tough season after. He then left, joined a better team and won the league. Tottenham never replaced him.

Your opinion is based on his final season at Spurs after the WC.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is the ideal player I’d start our transfer window on.

He may not be this big name player - but still it gives us the fullbacks covered with Shaw, Telles, Trippier and Wan Bissaka which I think is a fantastic 4 of a squad.

It shows we mean business in more games and hopefully on more trophies.

TrustInJanuzaj

It's ironic that you claim we have short memories when you didn't even know that he was only at Spurs for four years and youre basing it on Spurs fan opinion after a post WC dip in form couples with injuries.

He was a good player before Tottenham, he then looked very good for Tottenham and had a really good WC and like many players had a tough season after. He then left, joined a better team and won the league. Tottenham never replaced him.

Your opinion is based on his final season at Spurs after the WC.
Yeah fair enough I did think he was at Spurs longer than that. The problem with your assessment though is that most of his best performances (like in the world cup) have come as wingback. We don't need a wingback, we need a proper fullback. He's decent enough as wingback because his delivery makes him a threat and he can have pace cover him behind, as a fullback he's a liability which is why Spurs fans wanted him gone. He simply doesn't have the physical attributes to be a fullback in the Premier League.

bsCallout

Yeah fair enough I did think he was at Spurs longer than that. The problem with your assessment though is that most of his best performances (like in the world cup) have come as wingback. We don't need a wingback, we need a proper fullback. He's decent enough as wingback because his delivery makes him a threat and he can have pace cover him behind, as a fullback he's a liability which is why Spurs fans wanted him gone. He simply doesn't have the physical attributes to be a fullback in the Premier League.
A wingback is a great addition to our squad as a back up. Perfect player to bring on when we are dominating a team and want some width and crosses. One of the CMs drop in like usual.

Edit: He's playing RB at the moment in a defensive team too. Great experience to bring in. Local lad, United fan. AWB could learn a lot from Trippier.

TrustInJanuzaj

A wingback is a great addition to our squad as a back up. Perfect player to bring on when we are dominating a team and want some width and crosses. One of the CMs drop in like usual.

Edit: He's playing RB at the moment in a defensive team too. Great experience to bring in. Local lad, United fan. AWB could learn a lot from Trippier.
I cant stand a back 5, anything that makes it easier to play that is another no from me.

bsCallout

I cant stand a back 5, anything that makes it easier to play that is another no from me.
Doesnt make it a back 5. Just means our FBs push up when we are dominating and our DM can support the CBs.

Perfect addition to our squad.

We have no one with his crossing ability on that side.

CM10

Pretty crap would be a much closer assessment than ‘very good’. This thread is classically reactionary though. I guarantee when he left for Spain most fans would have said he’s average and they didn’t care. One half decent season and he’s back to being an option?
He's being talked up as a deputy for Wan-Bissaka. Even if he's average that's better than what we currently have

crossy1686

career ending
Regardless of how good you might think he is, he's not gonna leave Atletico to sit on your bench.
He's from Greater Manchester, he's just won the league with Atleti, not long left on his contract and I'm sure he'd get a few games at United. Good option for everyone involved

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Judging by United's budget, he'll have to cost bag of chips to even consider, while having expensive targets in mind this summer.

Hopefully Ole will get his RB backup this year, whoever it is. Signing Telles made Shaw European format player in just months.

Classical Mechanic

Judging by United's budget, he'll have to cost bag of chips to even consider, while having expensive targets in mind this summer.

Hopefully Ole will get his RB backup this year, whoever it is. Signing Telles made Shaw European format player in just months.
Apparently he's on £78k a week in Madrid. He wouldn't be an expensive transfer which I'd guess is part of the attraction.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Regardless of how good you might think he is, he's not gonna leave Atletico to sit on your bench.
A bit like Cavani, he'd probably only join if he fancied his chances at taking Wan-Bissaka's spot which is entirely possible.

LoneStar

Not against this signing if it doesn't affect our other plans (shouldn't really affect it).

If AWB is injured, our backups are pretty poor. And correct me if I'm wrong, but he's better than AWB in attack and has a great cross in him.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Apparently he's on £78k a week in Madrid. He wouldn't be an expensive transfer which I'd guess is part of the attraction.
In that case Ole should consider, even though it's not a top priority at any means.

Having experienced guy is always great for much younger ones and we have them in surprisingly huge amount (Bissaka, Williams, Dalot, Laird).

Dan_F

Makes a lot of sense and probably allows us to loan out Williams as well as Laird for another season. It’s a shame that we’re having to bring in title winning experience to supplement, rather than already having that in the team, but Ole seems to be doing a pretty good job at identifying those players. The fact that he’s local and has red family makes it even more logical.

Luke1995

PL proven obviously. I wouldn't mind it if he was always available to play like Maguire. We have alot of issues with players who spend more time injured than playing.

Nori-

Must admit I haven't really followed or watched Trippier much.

What is his attacking play like? If we bought him would he likely play ahead of AWB? or would be be cover, in which case why would he leave the new Spanish Champions to play second fiddle to AWB?

croadyman

Personally if he provides us with the flexibility that Telles does for Shaw then for me that's win win in my eyes

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Would stay away from him, no idea why anybody rates him. Average on a good day.

11reds

If Ole has identified him as a player to come in compete and push on AWB then I'm happy with that but we already have Dalot, Williams, Laird on the books one of them needs to go and at least one of the two left go out on loan. His age is perfect in two to three years time he won't impede a good you player like Laird.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Must admit I haven't really followed or watched Trippier much.

What is his attacking play like? If we bought him would he likely play ahead of AWB? or would be be cover, in which case why would he leave the new Spanish Champions to play second fiddle to AWB?
I've hardly seen him for Atletico Madrid but for Spurs and England his attacking play was one of his strengths. Had lots of energy and loved to overlap and put a cross in the box. Very typical, modern full back. Total opposite to AWB, which is probably part of the appeal.

I'd imagine he's been much more restrained under Simeone, mind.

He'd most likely be a rotation option and extra cover but would still get a fair few games, especially against weaker/ more defensive sides. There'll be plenty of games next season and AWB can't play them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.