Kieran Trippier / signed for Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPace

Can’t believe we signed Darmian over him, if anything Trippier playing style would suit LVG football much more than Darmian. Our recruitment was so bad under LVG & Jose. Clueless and all over the place.
In the club's defense on this one I think I thought Darmian would work out after watching him make clever runs in behind against England in 2012 and figuring he could be a Heinze/Arbeloa/Azpilicueta style fullback who excels defensively and has enough attacking-wise to be worth 13M at the age of 25, but it seems like you need to be really fast like Kyle Walker or much better at linking play like Azpilicueta to really make an impact and be a top level fullback.

But yeah, we kept buying guys like him and Schneiderlin who did well in specific systems and made sense on paper, but just weren't good enough on the ball.

Footy van de Geek

Sorry not to disrespect sidebacks positions. But this is not the most important position of a team. That are the central spine position. A team can win the league with a Bissaka level of a right back. Same as Shaw as left back.

But if your CMs, CBs, G and CFs are 4 out 5 points. I think it hard to win the league.
From what i have observed. United need to strength the CB and CMs options. Special if
Pogba is leaving.
And about United current CBs options. I am not convinced they are good enough to win premier league.

If Bailly stay injury free. And if het get more composure with and without the ball. No rush and poor decisions. I still Bailly max potential and level are high. Bailly is really fast and is good one on one. He just need to know when to all in for a tackle, and know when to hold it back.

So back to Trippier and new side back. Personally for me. It’s not necessary. Because i am satisfy with United current RB options : Bissaka, Williams and Dalot out on loan. I would use that money for a new CM and RW.

United current RBs options are good enough for top 4 and i think good enough to win the league too. Trippier will not strength alot. Just with better crosser.

I would use Trippier money to. Swap Pogba + money for De Ligt. De Ligt is only 21. But already has been established as one of the best CB. A key and big signing United need to do. Because yeah. Lindelof, Bailly and Maguire. They are giving me a feeling. United need to upgrade the cbs options.

And in the end. You can’t only blame Bissaka for Uniteds ch.league exit. Even he could do better when Leipzig score first goal. Reasons for United ch.league exit were the lost in Turkey and Ole selection and tactic against Leipzig.
Two left back in line up. It said a lot. How defensive mindset you went into the game. Because if you counter attack. Drop one left back and go for a super fast left winger.
With the players available. I would line up 451 against Leipzig. If i still want to stay tight, compact and counter.

Bissaka - Lindelof - Maguire - Telles + Greenwood- Beek - McTom - Bruno - Rashford + Ighalo

Another 5 midfield option are : Greenwood- McTom- Matic- Bruno - Beek + Rashford

In defensive it is a 451 formation. In offensive 451 turn out to be 433 formation.
451 formation is a tight and compact formation with 2 super fast wingers to counter attack. The wide players/wingers shall press the opponents attack into the centre where the field are tight. Instead United and Ole used a 3412 formation where Bissaka and Telles track back and left the midfield very open. Because it was easy to pass United midfield. With only cm players and no wide players. United 2 CF and a Cam were easy to pass. 3412 formation is not a tight and compact formation, compare to the 451/433 formation.

So i don’t know if the link and rumors is true. But if the link is after United ch.league exit and that was the reason for a new RB. Then like i said above. I would give a vote against a new RB. I am satisfy with United current RB options. Clearly enough from me about a new RB. Williams shall just start deliver performance on the training pitch to give Bissaka competition. And Dalot does look promising too. Trippier is not a big level up and upgrade.
United league form is really good and on the way to become consistent, in a good way. A Trippier is unnecessary.
Strongly disagree. Our full-backs are one of the biggest factors holding us back. Telles will hopefully help address this.

Liverpool's full-backs are key to how they play. Robertson and TAA are assist machines.

Marcelo and Carvajal were key components of the 3peat Real side.

Alphonso Davies was a monster at LB for Bayern last season.

Alves was a huge part of Barcelona's dominance between 2008-2015. Juve reached a CL final thanks to his output from RB as well.

The most influential player on the pitch between Leipzig and Man Utd? Their LWB, Angeliño. 1 goal & 1 assist. Could have been 3 assists.

edcunited1878

Strongly disagree. Our full-backs are one of the biggest factors holding us back. Telles will hopefully help address this.

Liverpool's full-backs are key to how they play. Robertson and TAA are assist machines.

Alves was a huge part of Barcelona's dominance between 2008-2015. Juve reached a CL final thanks to his output from RB as well.

The most influential player on the pitch between Leipzig and Man Utd? Their LWB, Angeliño. 1 goal & 1 assist. Could have been 3 assists.
Who is Trippier going to cross the ball into? Cavani is such a short term fix, so he's out of the question. Martial and Rashford don't make the right runs in the box or gamble enough. Greenwood could benefit but he'll need to play centrally.

And those players you listed have really good players ahead of them. United finally have some semblance of a RB, but no right wing or right forward, or right central mid.

Liverpool, RM, RBL play with 3 central mids. Bayern and Barca...those teams you couldn't get the ball off of because everyone else was equally, if not better on the ball and without the ball.

It really comes down to having the adequate technical ability on the ball, composure, and passing. Doesn't need to be world class, but just good. AWB isn't good on the ball or passing, which is compounded by the fact that McTominay isn't good enough on the ball or his passing. AWB is just being asked to do too much on the pitch. Let him defend and push forward as a ball recycling outlet.

Gabagoo

No thanks, you guys never watched him in the EPL or what?

Also, what about our youth players?? Let's buy more players that will block the path of our youngsters and never actually loan them out, and have an even more bloated squad in the process.
Saying that, it wouldn't surprise me if we did buy him. Afterall, this is exactly what's happening with Brandon - he now has Shaw & Telles ahead of him at LB with the Real Madrid youth player looking extremely promising. AWB and Fosu have the RB spot, with Laird not getting a look in.
Who gives a shit? If we can buy better players then the net result will be a better starting eleven. Everything else is secondary.

Varun1

Who gives a shit? If we can buy better players then the net result will be a better starting eleven. Everything else is secondary.
That's some crazy argument. Many fans and the club give a shit, it's in the DNA of the club.

Trippier is not the better player.

3KDré

No thanks, you guys never watched him in the EPL or what?

Also, what about our youth players?? Let's buy more players that will block the path of our youngsters and never actually loan them out, and have an even more bloated squad in the process.
Saying that, it wouldn't surprise me if we did buy him. Afterall, this is exactly what's happening with Brandon - he now has Shaw & Telles ahead of him at LB with the Real Madrid youth player looking extremely promising. AWB and Fosu have the RB spot, with Laird not getting a look in.
Youth players are a nice bonus, not a necessity. It's not like we're not littered with youth players in the first team. Just in the starting XI alone, you have Rashford and Greenwood, arguably McTominay and Pogba too, Deano, TFM, Tuanzebe are all solid additions to the squad. Besides, the competition should be relished - Williams should only play based on pure merit. Also, you mention Laird not getting a look in ahead of an older youth player...and Laird has been having injury issues.

Resch

Why are TAA and Robertson delivering so many assists?
Because Liverpool has enough players in the box. For wingers, etc. at United it is nearly impossible to find a player in the box.

Footy van de Geek

Why are TAA and Robertson delivering so many assists?
Because Liverpool has enough players in the box. For wingers, etc. at United it is nearly impossible to find a player in the box.
Because they are well coached. Robertson, TAA and van Dijk playing 40-50 yard long diagonals is a feature of their play.

Firmino creates space for Mané and Salah to exploit. They make runs from out to in. These inside runs can be hard to track if timed well enough.

We could have Rashford and Greenwood making similar runs more regularly if we were better coached. It's up to Ole and his coaches to work on routines and patterns in training.

It's one thing to have players in the box, it's another to provide consistent delivery from wide positions. Shaw and AWB are generally very inconsistent with their deliveries.

I'm not a huge fan of crossing just for the sake of it anyway. I like low, driven crosses across the box or for a player to provide a cutback from the byline.

Lee565

I hope there is something to this rumour as it would be nice to have a right back that is suited to playing with the ball at his feet and with him and telles it would be a more balanced team when we go 352

Stacks

That's some crazy argument. Many fans and the club give a shit, it's in the DNA of the club.

Trippier is not the better player.
We have enough youth team players in our first 11 squad. We are not primarily a youth academy. Team still needs to best players in each position we can realistically acquire.

luck&neat

I'm not sure Trippier is the answer to our RB problems. I think there are better, younger (read: longer term) options out there.

But we do have a major problem in that position (imo). Much as I like AWB for his tackling and 1v1 abilities, he needs some serious guidance and training on not ball watching and drifting into central defence. I think the real issue with AWB though is that the more I watch him, the more I feel he has an offensive ceiling, and I don't think it's very high. As pointed out by others in this thread, having good, attacking FB's is so important, even if you don't play them every game. Once we have them we might actually start getting players in the box/in areas to receive crosses more routinely.. wouldn't that be nice!

Varun1

We have enough youth team players in our first 11 squad. We are not primarily a youth academy. Team still needs to best players in each position we can realistically acquire.
Who are those youth players? Pogba and lingard (I hope) are on the way out. Rashford, Mason and MCT are the only ones left. Tuanzebe can't get a look in and same for Brandon & Henderson.

This whole argument that we need more than youth etc doesn't account for the fact that youth players need a path to the first team while being surrounded by good seasoned pros.
City lost many of their talented youths because there was no pathway, Dortmund have capitalised because young players can see that path.
Arsenal under Wenger was a good example of promising youth players being surrounded by average players, which then brought the whole team down.

Trippier is bang average. Anyone who's suggesting we get him + have AWB, can you explain when do we give the youngsters a chance?

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

Why is this even being considered?

What irks me with Ole now is he started off with this vision - we were revamping the obvious unsustainable transfers of previous seasons (Falcao, Ibra, Matic, Sanchez, BFS) and focusing on young, hungry players with good attitudes and would only entertain buying expensive players if they were young and arguably amongst the best in their position in the world (like Sancho). Maguire 26, Bruno 25, AWB 22, James 21 were evidence of this and we were finally no longer linked with players like Bale. This is exactly how I think we need to view transfers moving forwards and was a great strategy.

Fast-forward to now, the pressure is on and it turns out he's just reverting to what Mourinho did. Cavani was a last minute panic signing, VdB fits the age bracket but doesn't play, Telles was last minute and is older, we're now linked with Trippier who is 30...I have no issue with signing these players and I hope they are successful but I just don't get the point of the messaging we heard at the start of Ole's tenure. I look around the PL and can see evidence of teams dramatically improving after intensive coaching and, honestly, that is all we need from Ole and the team right now. Work on improving AWB, Williams, Laird, bring back Dalot for cover if needed but let's not be buying 30 year old RB's who are no doubt still decent but nowhere near world class.

GMoore23

Can’t believe we signed Darmian over him, if anything Trippier playing style would suit LVG football much more than Darmian. Our recruitment was so bad under LVG & Jose. Clueless and all over the place.
I can't believe we signed Dalot over Pereira.

Stacks

Who are those youth players? Pogba and lingard (I hope) are on the way out. Rashford, Mason and MCT are the only ones left. Tuanzebe can't get a look in and same for Brandon & Henderson.

This whole argument that we need more than youth etc doesn't account for the fact that youth players need a path to the first team while being surrounded by good seasoned pros.
City lost many of their talented youths because there was no pathway, Dortmund have capitalised because young players can see that path.
Arsenal under Wenger was a good example of promising youth players being surrounded by average players, which then brought the whole team down.

Trippier is bang average. Anyone who's suggesting we get him + have AWB, can you explain when do we give the youngsters a chance?
What you mean can't get a look in? The season is still so early and we have plenty of cups and European games as well as league games to play.

So far 8 academy players have played games this season. Do you think it was more than this in the Fergie years or are you blinded by nostalgia? In 2008 do you know how many academy players got games?

Brown, Giggs (Veteran player), Scholes (Veteran player), Pique, O'Shea, Evans (2), Fletcher, Simpson(4), Eagles (3)
So that's 9 who appeared in more than 1 game and 2 of those were veteran players from the 90s.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

What irks me with Ole now is he started off with this vision - we were revamping the obvious unsustainable transfers of previous seasons (Falcao, Ibra, Matic, Sanchez, BFS) and focusing on young, hungry players with good attitudes and would only entertain buying expensive players if they were young and arguably amongst the best in their position in the world (like Sancho). Maguire 26, Bruno 25, AWB 22, James 21 were evidence of this and we were finally no longer linked with players like Bale. This is exactly how I think we need to view transfers moving forwards and was a great strategy.

Fast-forward to now, the pressure is on and it turns out he's just reverting to what Mourinho did. Cavani was a last minute panic signing, VdB fits the age bracket but doesn't play, Telles was last minute and is older, we're now linked with Trippier who is 30...I have no issue with signing these players and I hope they are successful but I just don't get the point of the messaging we heard at the start of Ole's tenure. I look around the PL and can see evidence of teams dramatically improving after intensive coaching and, honestly, that is all we need from Ole and the team right now. Work on improving AWB, Williams, Laird, bring back Dalot for cover if needed but let's not be buying 30 year old RB's who are no doubt still decent but nowhere near world class.
Why are we considering signing a right back who is better than the one we have? I don't follow.

Tripper is well ahead of AWB in the England pecking order and for good reason. He's a footballer.

Varun1

What you mean can't get a look in? The season is still so early and we have plenty of cups and European games as well as league games to play.

So far 8 academy players have played games this season. Do you think it was more than this in the Fergie years or are you blinded by nostalgia? In 2008 do you know how many academy players got games?

Brown, Giggs (Veteran player), Scholes (Veteran player), Pique, O'Shea, Evans (2), Fletcher, Simpson(4), Eagles (3)
So that's 9 who appeared in more than 1 game and 2 of those were veteran players from the 90s.
We're not in 2008,so let's not bring that into the fold.

So you're saying the season is still young and there's plenty of games to come, which will ensure minutes for the other youth players, but you're then talking about getting Trippier who will eat into those minutes, And there's Telles who has done the same on the other side.
@tomaldinho1 also explains it very well. These transfers make no sense.

Stacks

We're not in 2008,so let's not bring that into the fold.

So you're saying the season is still young and there's plenty of games to come, which will ensure minutes for the other youth players, but you're then talking about getting Trippier who will eat into those minutes, And there's Telles who has done the same on the other side.
@tomaldinho1 also explains it very well. These transfers make no sense.
Yes. Man Utd isn't an academy. We are a first team with a very good academy and our priority has always been to get the best players we can and bolster the squad with the academy. Class of 92 was an anomaly. There will be enough games for those good enough

tomaldinho1

Why are we considering signing a right back who is better than the one we have? I don't follow.

Tripper is well ahead of AWB in the England pecking order and for good reason. He's a footballer.
That is ignoring literally everything I have explained in my post.

I'd be like me asking you why aren't we linked with Neymar? There are definitely better older players around in a number of positions we could use them in but that isn't how you build a team, that is how you buy a team.

Born2Lose

No brainer. If AWB gets injured it's Brandon Williams or this guy. I know which one I'd choose.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The idea of Trippier is probably because we fail to sign right winger and that means we still don’t have someone to provide creativity on the right width. Since there are no available right winger, we are aiming for attacking right back, a short solution. And also may be Bissaka can learn few things here to improve his playmaking ability.

Ludens the Red

Good points and you’re trying to make sense of it all. My advice would be to do the opposite. Try and not make sense of it, that way you won’t be surprised.
Its pretty clear Oles transfer strategy doesn’t back up anything that was initially ‘sold’ as his philosophy. i mean how else can you explain wanting to play a high line but signing a defender who turns like a fridge. Or signing a RB whos no good going forward yet you want to play inverted forwards and have your attacking width to come from wing backs.
He’s winging it and always has to be honest.

Stacks

What poster says below. It is clear they are winging it. I clocked onto this as soon as I really wanted AWB play and queried if we truly planned to play out from the back?

Good points and you’re trying to make sense of it all. My advice would be to do the opposite. Try and not make sense of it, that way you won’t be surprised.
Its pretty clear Oles transfer strategy doesn’t back up anything that was initially ‘sold’ as his philosophy. i mean how else can you explain wanting to play a high line but signing a defender who turns like a fridge. Or signing a RB whos no good going forward yet you want to play inverted forwards and have your attacking width to come from wing backs.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I wouldn't really say he's winging it. Ole's formula for buying players involves the player being English or having good character and playing in a position of need. Some of our signings just highlights how we are still badly in need of a good DOF as some of these signings don't match what Ole has said he wants or needs. From what I've seen of VdB I don't really think his style of play as a no. 10 is what we need

croadyman

The idea of Trippier is probably because we fail to sign right winger and that means we still don’t have someone to provide creativity on the right width. Since there are no available right winger, we are aiming for attacking right back, a short solution. And also may be Bissaka can learn few things here to improve his playmaking ability.
The other possibility is they want someone experienced who can offer more down that right side but also give them an opportunity to phase in Diallo when he arrives next month.

tomaldinho1

I'm not debating Ole is winging it, I honestly think he's just existing in the role and not doing much else but the strategy he talked about which probably came from Woodward/Glazers moving away from massive world record signings is what we need to do.

We moan a lot on this forum about how little quality there is out there but that's because it has to be developed, you don't just sign a 22 year old and see him immediately do well. Look at some of the signings this season alone like Eze (£15m), Torres (£20), Watkins (£28m), Fofana (£30m) there is raw potential out there. Saka at Arsenal I like a lot as well. These players might not be PL mainstays and might never kick on but modern football is all about development and retention of talent now, not buying ready made senior talent because it's not profitable.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
That is ignoring literally everything I have explained in my post.

I'd be like me asking you why aren't we linked with Neymar? There are definitely better older players around in a number of positions we could use them in but that isn't how you build a team, that is how you buy a team.
He's 30 years old not 36. He's probably available for a decent fee given his contract and the rumour is his family miss England and aren't settled over there.

I'd much rather have Tripper on the right than AWB in nearly all of our games. Games like the Derby at the weekend AWB is fine as we have to defend a lot.

I think in January and especially in Covid times we can't afford to splurge 50m here there and everywhere.

tomaldinho1

He's 30 years old not 36. He's probably available for a decent fee given his contract and the rumour is his family miss England and aren't settled over there.

I'd much rather have Tripper on the right than AWB in nearly all of our games. Games like the Derby at the weekend AWB is fine as we have to defend a lot.

I think in January and especially in Covid times we can't afford to splurge 50m here there and everywhere.
I get the logic behind it, I'm just saying it really doesn't make sense in my opinion. Trippier is a decent RB but he's not world class.

If you went back in time and asked fans who they would rather sign, AWB at Palace or Trippier at Tottenham I'm certain AWB would win out. The reason, aside from I think it's a massive drain on resources, I want us to buy younger players is because it's so painfully obvious to many United fans we can't just buy players who look good in other teams because we have so little structure and seemingly do very little positional work in training. This is ok for Bruno and our attackers, who thrive on broken play, direct balls and catching defences in transition but there is a reason we have bought a lot of good defenders and we still want to buy more and it is that a) we need a trained DM who isn't ancient and b) we need to sort out a tactical setup which complements our defenders.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I get the logic behind it, I'm just saying it really doesn't make sense in my opinion. Trippier is a decent RB but he's not world class.

If you went back in time and asked fans who they would rather sign, AWB at Palace or Trippier at Tottenham I'm certain AWB would win out. The reason, aside from I think it's a massive drain on resources, I want us to buy younger players is because it's so painfully obvious to many United fans we can't just buy players who look good in other teams because we have so little structure and seemingly do very little positional work in training. This is ok for Bruno and our attackers, who thrive on broken play, direct balls and catching defences in transition but there is a reason we have bought a lot of good defenders and we still want to buy more and it is that a) we need a trained DM who isn't ancient and b) we need to sort out a tactical setup which complements our defenders.
Fans are very biased on their own players.

Wan Bissaka isnt a top player. He's brilliant in 1 on 1 situations and can pull off a great slide tackle but his limitations are just too much. I called it out in Dec 2019 before most did on here. And got abuse for it too

Trippier isn't world class but he's better. Southgate picks him above Wan Bissaka because you can pass him the ball and not have to worry.

You also can't have 11 world class players. Nobody does.

I think he is the perfect foil for Wan Bissaka. One is better at defending and the other is better on the ball and going forwards. I think Trippier is the better all round player though as his defending is better than Wan Bissaka's attacking if you get me.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I'm not a lover of AWB but seriously. We can't do better than this?

Stacks

I'm not debating Ole is winging it, I honestly think he's just existing in the role and not doing much else but the strategy he talked about which probably came from Woodward/Glazers moving away from massive world record signings is what we need to do.

We moan a lot on this forum about how little quality there is out there but that's because it has to be developed, you don't just sign a 22 year old and see him immediately do well. Look at some of the signings this season alone like Eze (£15m), Torres (£20), Watkins (£28m), Fofana (£30m) there is raw potential out there. Saka at Arsenal I like a lot as well. These players might not be PL mainstays and might never kick on but modern football is all about development and retention of talent now, not buying ready made senior talent because it's not profitable.
Is it really? Is that what the top teams do?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'm not a lover of AWB but seriously. We can't do better than this?
Money isn't free flowing right now.

He's playing every week for Atletico Madrid. They would be top of La Liga if they win just one of their two games in hand.

I think fans on here immediately write players off due to the fact they are English.

Varun1

Yes. Man Utd isn't an academy. We are a first team with a very good academy and our priority has always been to get the best players we can and bolster the squad with the academy. Class of 92 was an anomaly. There will be enough games for those good enough
You either didn't understand my question or you ignored it... If we did buy Trippier, how do you foresee Laird (if he remains injury free), Brandon and the new Spanish guys getting minutes while Telles, Shaw, AWB & Trippier are at the club? That's assuming that Dalot and Fosu will be sold.

Again, I won't go into the Class of 92 or 2008; it was a different era for the club and the EPL.

Bondi77

I can't believe we signed Dalot over Pereira.
I cannot believe we have signed Telles who is not a good defender and we have loaned out Dalot to another league instead of at least loaning him to another Premier or Championship club.

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
i read these threads and don't know if i should laugh or cry, the cafe and to be fair, many United fans in general, are hypnotised by youth, i don't care if a guy we bring in is 29, 30 or 32, if he's going to do a job for us, bring him in, this 'it will harm the progress of'' player x is a nonsense, the truth is, Williams is wank and will never be good enough, i don't care if he is ''still only 20''

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I want to love AWB but hes a huge liability going forward. He gets so much time on the ball and dribbles himself into oblivion. Might have a better future as a CB

Status
Not open for further replies.