Kieran Trippier / signed for Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This would be a very shrewd January signing if we can get this done cheap & under the radar. AWB isn’t good enough to be undroppable.

How much did they pay for him? He was pretty poor for Spurs for quite a time before he left, was he not?

would be a good squad option, if a small transfer fee, but can’t imagine the player would want that - so I don’t even think it’s an option.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
How much did they pay for him? He was pretty poor for Spurs for quite a time before he left, was he not?

would be a good squad option, if a small transfer fee, but can’t imagine the player would want that - so I don’t even think it’s an option.
He had a bust up with Toby, I rate Trippier highly, just don't put him up against a pacy winger with no cover from the DM. Technically he is a VERY good player.

Last edited:

croadyman

Yeah think we aren't going for Lamptey because we just want some competition for AWB from someone who can offer us more going forward rather than someone to actually take Aaron's place in the team which I feel Tariq would do.

He had a bust up with Toby, I rate Trippier highly, just don't put him up against a pacy winger with no cover from the DM. Technically he is a VERY good player.
Thanks. I thought he did very well for England a couple of years ago. Just don’t see him coming back to England when he’s first choice at Atletico (I assume).

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Money isn't free flowing right now.

He's playing every week for Atletico Madrid. They would be top of La Liga if they win just one of their two games in hand.

I think fans on here immediately write players off due to the fact they are English.
I’m not writing him off because he’s English, I just don’t see him as a long term option and would rather put money elsewhere. We’ll constantly be average with these types of players.

tomaldinho1

Is it really? Is that what the top teams do?
That's what it is becoming, yes. It's clear to see in my opinion and is only being sped up by covid.

Football is a multi billion pound business and, oil clubs aside, what is a more attractive business model for an owner; RBL and Ajax or Manchester United and Real Madrid?

Fans are very biased on their own players.

Wan Bissaka isnt a top player. He's brilliant in 1 on 1 situations and can pull off a great slide tackle but his limitations are just too much. I called it out in Dec 2019 before most did on here. And got abuse for it too

Trippier isn't world class but he's better. Southgate picks him above Wan Bissaka because you can pass him the ball and not have to worry.

You also can't have 11 world class players. Nobody does.

I think he is the perfect foil for Wan Bissaka. One is better at defending and the other is better on the ball and going forwards. I think Trippier is the better all round player though as his defending is better than Wan Bissaka's attacking if you get me.
Yh of course but that's not the point I was making - I am talking about players reputations pre United, especially defensive ones. Have we not learnt from our mistakes, you can't just say 'I don't fancy AWB any more, who is a good RB who is available?' you have to think if they fit into our system. United generally have just bought the 'best' players available in their position (Pogba, Mata, Maguire and ADM for example), not the best players available for our system.

I personally think AWB has great potential and I also think Trippier (although I agree in most teams he would be the more all round player) would struggle in our setup. Ole is too risk adverse and he will never leave Lindelof/Maguire without at least one FB tucked in which makes signing Trippier pointless. FYI I am actually a Trippier fan, my original point is I think we need to start evolving our transfer system so I just don't get why we'd consider him.

Stacks

You either didn't understand my question or you ignored it... If we did buy Trippier, how do you foresee Laird (if he remains injury free), Brandon and the new Spanish guys getting minutes while Telles, Shaw, AWB & Trippier are at the club? That's assuming that Dalot and Fosu will be sold.

Again, I won't go into the Class of 92 or 2008; it was a different era for the club and the EPL.
If they are good enough or the manager thinks they are, then they would get games. The manager probably doesn't fancy Brandon and neither do I personally. Not everyone from the academy is good enough and as I said our first team is already littered with academy players. Liverpool barely have 4-5 academy players that have played this season and even this is forced by injuries.
Why are those eras not important? What's so different? I mean the whole point was that playing academy players was "our dna" and I'm just saying its overstated on here. During our most successful periods and manager less academy players have got games than currently are now. In 1999 9 academy players got games (more than one match) and 6 of them were from the famed class of 92 (legendary once in a lifetime batch). So its pretty much a case if you are good enough then you can play but it's not a perquisite to the success of Man Utd, unless Ferguson did not get the memo.

Varun1

If they are good enough or the manager thinks they are, then they would get games. The manager probably doesn't fancy Brandon and neither do I personally. Not everyone from the academy is good enough and as I said our first team is already littered with academy players. Liverpool barely have 4-5 academy players that have played this season and even this is forced by injuries.
Why are those eras not important? What's so different? I mean the whole point was that playing academy players was "our dna" and I'm just saying its overstated on here. During our most successful periods and manager less academy players have got games than currently are now. In 1999 9 academy players got games (more than one match) and 6 of them were from the famed class of 92 (legendary once in a lifetime batch). So its pretty much a case if you are good enough then you can play but it's not a perquisite to the success of Man Utd, unless Ferguson did not get the memo.
So, again you've ignored the question.
We're not talking about Liverpool because their on field success and the overall management of the club makes them attractive. In the same way that United under Fergie was more attractive to players in 2008. And in 1992/1999 the competition, the EPL and the manager were very different. So when we talk about those periods and different clubs, please take all of this in consideration.

Last edited:

rotherham_red

Yeah think we aren't going for Lamptey because we just want some competition for AWB from someone who can offer us more going forward rather than someone to actually take Aaron's place in the team which I feel Tariq would do.
Plus we have our own Lamptey in Laird. Bring in Trippier to cover this 2-3 year period and then have Laird challenge and likely ultimately displace AWB within a year or two of Trippier leaving. It's a common sense signing and would mean that the 352 is a proper attacking option with threats on both sides between him and Telles, rather than it being structurally solid but unbalanced in the attacking sense like it currently is.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Has there been a credible link ? All I hear is Cafe 's preferences.

Stacks

So, again you've ignored the question.
We're not talking about Liverpool because their on field success and the overall management of the club makes them attractive. In the same way that United under Fergie was more attractive to players in 2008. And in 1992/1999 the competition, the EPL and the manager were very different. So when we talk about those periods and different clubs, please take all of this in consideration.
I answered it. Not every academy player is going to nor suppose to get games. You seem to be upset that we have competition in FB places. So what? Look how many CM we have. I guess the path for our academy midfielders has comp too? That's football. Did you think we will have only one senior player for each position and the other slot is for an academy player?

I don't see how any of the other stuff is relevent. So we have to play 12-15 academy players today, but not previously because reasons?

I feel you are being a bit romantic. Liverpool did not get to the top by flooding the first team with academy players. How did they get there?

United can still be attractive. Have we just not signed VDB and Sancho wanted to come no? We don't have to revert to Arsenal (2004-14) tactics which was a failure anyways.

Stacks

That's what it is becoming, yes. It's clear to see in my opinion and is only being sped up by covid.

Football is a multi billion pound business and, oil clubs aside, what is a more attractive business model for an owner; RBL and Ajax or Manchester United and Real Madrid?

Yh of course but that's not the point I was making - I am talking about players reputations pre United, especially defensive ones. Have we not learnt from our mistakes, you can't just say 'I don't fancy AWB any more, who is a good RB who is available?' you have to think if they fit into our system. United generally have just bought the 'best' players available in their position (Pogba, Mata, Maguire and ADM for example), not the best players available for our system.

I personally think AWB has great potential and I also think Trippier (although I agree in most teams he would be the more all round player) would struggle in our setup. Ole is too risk adverse and he will never leave Lindelof/Maguire without at least one FB tucked in which makes signing Trippier pointless. FYI I am actually a Trippier fan, my original point is I think we need to start evolving our transfer system so I just don't get why we'd consider him.
Winning. clubs like Madrid and Utd cannot afford this strategy which Arsenal tried and failed. There is a demand for them to compete today and the "rely on youth" strategy is risky. RBL and AJAX are more similar to each other as Utd is to Real.

Giggsy13

Trippier would be a decent signing if it’s similar to the Telles fee. Shaw and Telles seem to be both benefiting from competition and AWB could use it as well, he hasn’t looked himself since the restart.

Varun1

I answered it. Not every academy player is going to nor suppose to get games. You seem to be upset that we have competition in FB places. So what? Look how many CM we have. I guess the path for our academy midfielders has comp too? That's football. Did you think we will have only one senior player for each position and the other slot is for an academy player?

I don't see how any of the other stuff is relevent. So we have to play 12-15 academy players today, but not previously because reasons?

I feel you are being a bit romantic. Liverpool did not get to the top by flooding the first team with academy players. How did they get there?

United can still be attractive. Have we just not signed VDB and Sancho wanted to come no? We don't have to revert to Arsenal (2004-14) tactics which was a failure anyways.
Trippier, Telles & TFM don't just represent competition for Shaw & AWB, they block the path of other players due to their age while not representing an upgrade on any players that are already at the club. Not every academy player that deserves it will get a spot because there won't be any. The disorganised approach is just strange and gives the impression that Ole is out of his depth.

I don't understand any of what you mean about Liverpool and the 12-15 academy players so i won't be going into that.

The irony of saying am being a bit romantic and then calling United attractive...

Anyway, like I said previously, you're welcome to your opinion and I'll stick with mine.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I like Trippier. I was very surprised when Tottenham let him go. But why would he want to leave AM and why would they want to sell him? He's a first team player and doing well. This rumour just doesn't make sense to me...

croadyman

I like Trippier. I was very surprised when Tottenham let him go. But why would he want to leave AM and why would they want to sell him? He's a first team player and doing well. This rumour just doesn't make sense to me...
Yeah it does sound like he's an important part of that Simeone team from that article the other day

Stacks

Trippier, Telles & TFM don't just represent competition for Shaw & AWB, they block the path of other players due to their age while not representing an upgrade on any players that are already at the club. Not every academy player that deserves it will get a spot because there won't be any. The disorganised approach is just strange and gives the impression that Ole is out of his depth.

I don't understand any of what you mean about Liverpool and the 12-15 academy players so i won't be going into that.

The irony of saying am being a bit romantic and then calling United attractive...

Anyway, like I said previously, you're welcome to your opinion and I'll stick with mine.
I agree. Our approach is random and constantly changing. Same as when Ole first came he promised to bring attacking football back to United and then.........
....and then he turned into an imitation of Jose because he needed results and realised he isn't able to coach an attacking team properly.

Same probably happened around transfer strategy. His tenure has been consistent in saying nice things in public but different actions in practice.

For someone like Sancho to consider leaving Dortmund to be with us must mean we are at least a solid 7.5 - 8/10

EDIT: I just read that "United’s medium-to-long term aim is to ideally have two quality players available for each position for the start of the 2021/22 campaign" so perhaps this is our strategy

Last edited:

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Forgive my ignorance but if Utd need a slightly more attacking minded option at right back - can't Williams play there?

tomaldinho1

Winning. clubs like Madrid and Utd cannot afford this strategy which Arsenal tried and failed. There is a demand for them to compete today and the "rely on youth" strategy is risky. RBL and AJAX are more similar to each other as Utd is to Real.
Remind me, what have United won for the ~£850m (Net) we have spent on players since SAF retired. It could not be more clear that this transfer strategy is not sustainable or profitable, especially in the PL where, unlike RM/Barca, we are not guaranteed CL football even in a bad season.

United will become a good football business, we're just taking longer than some other clubs as we're a bit stuck in our ways. With the new Brexit academy rules it will make youth development even more important and, dare I say it, improve our chances of developing more world class players domestically instead of raiding foreign clubs for teenagers. I genuinely see the PL becoming more like the NFL in the long, long term with academies getting vastly more funding and a 'junior' PL which will be televised and massively popular. Kids who do not get senior contracts will then be picked up in some kind of draft system for the lower leagues which helps massively with the issue we have currently with supporting young players who don't make the cut at PL academies.

Stacks

Remind me, what have United won for the ~£850m (Net) we have spent on players since SAF retired. It could not be more clear that this transfer strategy is not sustainable or profitable, especially in the PL where, unlike RM/Barca, we are not guaranteed CL football even in a bad season.

United will become a good football business, we're just taking longer than some other clubs as we're a bit stuck in our ways. With the new Brexit academy rules it will make youth development even more important and, dare I say it, improve our chances of developing more world class players domestically instead of raiding foreign clubs for teenagers. I genuinely see the PL becoming more like the NFL in the long, long term with academies getting vastly more funding and a 'junior' PL which will be televised and massively popular. Kids who do not get senior contracts will then be picked up in some kind of draft system for the lower leagues which helps massively with the issue we have currently with supporting young players who don't make the cut at PL academies.
True but the demand is all the same. Part of the reason we spend like this is to try to compete at that level.

The likeliness of developing more world class domestic talent will be more or less the same as now. Reason being is cream rises to the top and the best domestic talent (world class talent) isn't beinge kept out by foreign academy prospects. We saw Mason come through no problem. As has Rashford and of course Ravel was recognised as the best in his class. It is very rare that foreign academy players even break into the first team unless they are truly exceptional like Pogba Pique or Rossi. Its not like we just fill our academies with average foreigners. If there are British players can't get a place in an academy, then maybe they are the ones who aren't that great to begin with?

tomaldinho1

True but the demand is all the same. Part of the reason we spend like this is to try to compete at that level.

The likeliness of developing more world class domestic talent will be more or less the same as now. Reason being is cream rises to the top and the best domestic talent (world class talent) isn't beinge kept out by foreign academy prospects. We saw Mason come through no problem. As has Rashford and of course Ravel was recognised as the best in his class. It is very rare that foreign academy players even break into the first team unless they are truly exceptional like Pogba Pique or Rossi. Its not like we just fill our academies with average foreigners. If there are British players can't get a place in an academy, then maybe they are the ones who aren't that great to begin with?
The point is the likeliness of developing world class talent, in general, should theoretically be similar but the likeliness of developing world class British talent should dramatically improve. Take a look at our youth team; Mejbri, Vitek, Guagagno, Hardley, Jurado, Kwambala, Fernandez, Hansen, Svidersky, Hoogewerf, Emeran, Mejia, Garnacho from the current youth setup, have all been poached from foreign clubs. Your last point highlights the issue, I think we have long known PL clubs don't tend to create the British superstars of tomorrow - if I were to ask you to name the best 5 players in world football for each position, how many British players get in? Kane, TAA, Robertson..there are probably some more but it's poor compared to France or Spain who have less participation numbers (UK has more players from a young age) and less money in their leagues.

FYI I think we will still spend but there will be more AWB or James type signings and a lot more reluctance to spend money on players like Trippier (given that's what this thread is about), Telles, Cavani, Matic etc. What's funny is I don't even know if we're linked with Trippier, someone has said it and we've all just piled in with out opinions :lol:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’d take him, he’s a great crosser & would provide competition for AWB.

Right now we’re in the harrowing possibility of AWB getting injured & Williams playing... :/

Stacks

The point is the likeliness of developing world class talent, in general, should theoretically be similar but the likeliness of developing world class British talent should dramatically improve. Take a look at our youth team; Mejbri, Vitek, Guagagno, Hardley, Jurado, Kwambala, Fernandez, Hansen, Svidersky, Hoogewerf, Emeran, Mejia, Garnacho from the current youth setup, have all been poached from foreign clubs. Your last point highlights the issue, I think we have long known PL clubs don't tend to create the British superstars of tomorrow - if I were to ask you to name the best 5 players in world football for each position, how many British players get in? Kane, TAA, Robertson..there are probably some more but it's poor compared to France or Spain who have less participation numbers (UK has more players from a young age) and less money in their leagues.

FYI I think we will still spend but there will be more AWB or James type signings and a lot more reluctance to spend money on players like Trippier (given that's what this thread is about), Telles, Cavani, Matic etc. What's funny is I don't even know if we're linked with Trippier, someone has said it and we've all just piled in with out opinions :lol:
Once upon a time we had Rooney, Gerrard, Owen Lampard, Rio, Terry, Cole, Beckham, Scholes etc all greats in their position so its just generational. Rashford and Sancho are future prospects and possibly Grealish so I feel you are being selective. You could argue Sterling too. How many German or Italian players are top 5 in their position? Brazilian? Its the same for everyone.

Again I disagree about the likeliness of developing world class British talent because they would be getting through regardless if they are that talented.

tomaldinho1

Once upon a time we had Rooney, Gerrard, Owen Lampard, Rio, Terry, Cole, Beckham, Scholes etc all greats in their position so its just generational. Rashford and Sancho are future prospects and possibly Grealish so I feel you are being selective. You could argue Sterling too. How many German or Italian players are top 5 in their position? Brazilian? Its the same for everyone.

Again I disagree about the likeliness of developing world class British talent because they would be getting through regardless if they are that talented.
I guess I strongly believe you can't tell who are the best players when they are teenagers and the 13-18 period is key for development. My point was that is you look at our current youth team, which is where our best youth coaches are, that is the group we are hoping will develop and so many of them have been poached from foreign clubs. Should you replace all of those players with British kids, it's rational to think the chances of one of them coming through improves, even if only by 0.000001%.

You're right with those countries but you have to factor in the participation numbers, which is where you see the disconnect with the UK's production of talent in particular. UK ranks 7th globally (Nigeria, Egypt, South Africa, Thailand, Mexico, Argentina are 1-6) for percentage of the population playing football but we are in a very different place to all of those countries economically. Italy are 15th, Germany 20th, Spain 22nd, France were like 35th...we should be producing far more than we are if you factor in participation percentage combined with us being a rich and developed country. We have the potential to be a conveyor belt of class players.

Re England's golden generation, the cynical view there is that they are proof of what I am saying. Look at the academies back then compared to now, they were almost exclusively British kids and those players came though precisely because PL clubs were not blocking the paths of promising youngsters with even more promising foreign youngsters. Is it a coincidence that the best generation of English players came through just after the PL started and then seemed to dry up once PL academies started raiding foreign academies with their pockets lined with PL tv money?

babablue

Why is this even being considered?

What irks me with Ole now is he started off with this vision - we were revamping the obvious unsustainable transfers of previous seasons (Falcao, Ibra, Matic, Sanchez, BFS) and focusing on young, hungry players with good attitudes and would only entertain buying expensive players if they were young and arguably amongst the best in their position in the world (like Sancho). Maguire 26, Bruno 25, AWB 22, James 21 were evidence of this and we were finally no longer linked with players like Bale. This is exactly how I think we need to view transfers moving forwards and was a great strategy.

Fast-forward to now, the pressure is on and it turns out he's just reverting to what Mourinho did. Cavani was a last minute panic signing, VdB fits the age bracket but doesn't play, Telles was last minute and is older, we're now linked with Trippier who is 30...I have no issue with signing these players and I hope they are successful but I just don't get the point of the messaging we heard at the start of Ole's tenure. I look around the PL and can see evidence of teams dramatically improving after intensive coaching and, honestly, that is all we need from Ole and the team right now. Work on improving AWB, Williams, Laird, bring back Dalot for cover if needed but let's not be buying 30 year old RB's who are no doubt still decent but nowhere near world class.
You're forgetting about the 2 young right wingers. 5 players were bought, only 2 are outside of the age range. Both were cheap/free and Cavani only has a 2 year contact. Telles is not even that old, but even in his case, if the rumors are to be believed, Reguilon was Ole's first choice.

In any event, I don't think Ole's words were to be literally taken as meaning we would only buy exclusively young and English. There needs to be some flexibility.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I’d take him, he’s a great crosser & would provide competition for AWB.

Right now we’re in the harrowing possibility of AWB getting injured & Williams playing... :/
I have to agree.

At the weekend against City I'm glad we had AWB. Tonight however and Sunday vs Leeds I'd much rather have Trippier in the side.

tomaldinho1

You're forgetting about the 2 young right wingers. 5 players were bought, only 2 are outside of the age range. Both were cheap/free and Cavani only has a 2 year contact. Telles is not even that old, but even in his case, if the rumors are to be believed, Reguilon was Ole's first choice.

In any event, I don't think Ole's words were to be literally taken as meaning we would only buy exclusively young and English. There needs to be some flexibility.
I suspect you might not have seen the first part of my exchange as you are mixing two parts together. My bad as it turned from a discussion about Trippier into more of a conversation about academy prospects in the UK and the ability to produce WC players.

On what you are saying, I made that same point to another poster in one of the many threads criticising Woodward and saying he'd messed up again with Diallo and Facundo, whereas I really like those signings. For me, that's exactly what we need to be doing - people assume it's high risk because you don't know if the player will make it but it's actually lower risk (as United fans know from our awful transfer) because they retain sell on value. Look at Depay.

lsd

The Oracle
You know what we should do? We should replace a very promising defender in his early 20s with a very average player who is over 30.

Oh wait I thought I was Jose again

croadyman

You know what we should do? We should replace a very promising defender in his early 20s with a very average player who is over 30.

Think he would only be there to give us a player who is better going forward,not to actually replace him

RashyForPM

You can’t be more wrong here I’m afraid. Firstly, in what way is AWB very promising? Because he can do good slide tackles and Sterling can’t get past him? He can’t cross for shit, is a Championship level player with the ball 90% of the time and is probably worse at marking the back post than Ashley Young. There’s a reason he’s behind TAA, Trippier, Walker, James and Aarons in the England RB ranks.

Also, Trippier has come on leaps and bounds since leaving Spurs, especially this season. I watch most Atletico games unless there is a big PL game or we’re on at the same time, and last season, Trippier was decent and eventually established himself as Simeone’s main RB. This season though, he has been one of the best RB’s in the world, has started every league game and just now, set up Suarez against Elche for Atletico’s opener with an inch-perfect pass. AWB does that sort of perfect cross once every 15 games if we’re lucky, while Trippier does that very frequently these days, and in his Spurs days bar 2018-19.

Get Trippier in and make AWB his backup, and if he doesn’t like it, loan him out. If even that doesn’t appease him, sell him. Trippier will not cost too much as well, and currently, is a far better RB than AWB.

croadyman

You can’t be more wrong here I’m afraid. Firstly, in what way is AWB very promising? Because he can do good slide tackles and Sterling can’t get past him? He can’t cross for shit, is a Championship level player with the ball 90% of the time and is probably worse at marking the back post than Ashley Young. There’s a reason he’s behind TAA, Trippier, Walker, James and Aarons in the England RB ranks.

Also, Trippier has come on leaps and bounds since leaving Spurs, especially this season. I watch most Atletico games unless there is a big PL game or we’re on at the same time, and last season, Trippier was decent and eventually established himself as Simeone’s main RB. This season though, he has been one of the best RB’s in the world, has started every league game and just now, set up Suarez against Elche for Atletico’s opener with an inch-perfect pass. AWB does that sort of perfect cross once every 15 games if we’re lucky, while Trippier does that very frequently these days, and in his Spurs days bar 2018-19.

Get Trippier in and make AWB his backup, and if he doesn’t like it, loan him out. If even that doesn’t appease him, sell him. Trippier will not cost too much as well, and currently, is a far better RB than AWB.
Cannot argue with that

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

As someone who loves a 352, could you play Trippier as a wing back?

RashyForPM

As someone who loves a 352, could you play Trippier as a wing back?
Funnily enough, Simeone has been using a 3-5-2 system a lot this season, sometimes deviating from his usual 4-4-2 in game or simply starting with it, and Trippier has been excellent most of the time when used at RWB. He wasn’t great last week against Real Madrid at RWB but unfortunately, the entire Atletico team bottled it as they seem to always do against Real Madrid nowadays. I suppose Trippier had the best performance in a sea of poor individual performances in that game, but I would probably say the same about another player, like Llorente or Hermoso for example, if I was posting in their thread. He was back to his best today in a 4-4-2/4-5-1 though, and was also good against Barcelona.

Status
Not open for further replies.