Kieran Trippier / signed for Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Does he want to come back though? He's just won a league title and I think he's their 1st choose RB?

Dominos

If he is told it's a fight for the spot then sure.
I wonder how many players are signed and were told categorically "you're going to be back up"? I'm sure in certain situations it's obvious, but I'd think a large majority of players are signed on the impression that they're competing for a spot in the first 11 on merit like everyone else.

He is a bit too good to be signed as back up though I agree it would be a weird move, he's first choice for the Spanish champions.

croadyman

I wonder how many players are signed and were told categorically "you're going to be back up"? I'm sure in certain situations it's obvious, but I'd think a large majority of players are signed on the impression that they're competing for a spot in the first 11 on merit like everyone else.

He is a bit too good to be signed as back up though I agree it would be a weird move, he's first choice for the Spanish champions.
Think he and his family are United fans at heart so do see that playing a part in his decision

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Haven't seen a lot of him since went to Spain (and welcome views from regular la Liga watchers) but to play most of the games in the title winning side, he must be doing something right?

And sure I read he didn't get carded all season? Which, in a league where they fall over when you sneeze, is some achievement for a defender.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
We'd be better off promoting from within for backup. One or both of William's and laird are good enough to backup Right back. We have much more pressing positions to fill. Good player but also too well established to play backup to AWB, who himself is learning more on more with the minutes he gets.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I’ve said before he would be a terrific signing but many ridiculed the idea. Now he’s won the league...

His delivery is excellent and he’s at a good age to allow AWB and Laird development time.

Classical Mechanic

We'd be better off promoting from within for backup. One or both of William's and laird are good enough to backup Right back. We have much more pressing positions to fill. Good player but also too well established to play backup to AWB, who himself is learning more on more with the minutes he gets.
I don't think they are good enough though. I really think we need to sell Williams whilst he has some value and Laird is an injury prone player who has had an OK loan in League One.

Having pressure on his position made Shaw into a much better player. I'm sure the club want something similar with AWB.

justsomebloke

I don't think they are. Neither of them is likely to push AWB for playing time, or be relied on in anything other than emergencies, dead rubbers and cup games.

I don't think they are. Neither of them is likely to push AWB for playing time, or be relied on in anything other than emergencies, dead rubbers and cup games.
I agree. The benefit of trippier, or someone like him is his experience. Which seems to be dismissed so quickly by some on here. You simply can’t have a good pool of youngsters. I like Williams, and think he’s given far too much stick on here - what he’s not is a player that can come in and out of the team and play the big games to a decent standard. He’s on his own learning curve.

should be obvious to see given AWB has played more minutes that 99.9% of players in Europe this season.

Judas

Open to offers
Trippier now has title winning experience, listen to any pro and they'll tell you how vital that sort of experience is, especially for a squad which is young and could do with that sort of influence.

croadyman

Trippier now has title winning experience, listen to any pro and they'll tell you how vital that sort of experience is, especially for a squad which is young and could do with that sort of influence.
Yeah that is a very valid point and something that Edi brings too plus Varane IF he could still leave Madrid this summer

SATA

I can’t believe there are still fans lobbying Laird to be a first team regular. I cringe really whenever his name is brought up :houllier:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This one feels as inevitable as the Heaton deal (but much more pleasing, as I pretty much never give 2 fecks about a backup goalkeeper, while competition for AWB is great to see, especially with Trippiers on the ball passing). Hope we don't go too crazy with the fee though, shouldn't be more than 10-15m.

Leg-End

They got him for around £20 million didn’t they? Yeah he’s soon to be 31 but they have no reason to sell, we ain’t getting him for less than what they paid.

SinNombre

They got him for around £20 million didn’t they? Yeah he’s soon to be 31 but they have no reason to sell, we ain’t getting him for less than what they paid.
We will probably end up paying somewhere close to that. 15-20m would be my guess.

We should be able to recover 10m of it by selling Brandon Williams to Soton if they are still interested.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
AWB
Trippier
Laird (out on loan)
---------------------------
Williams sold

Sounds alright.

Trequarista10

Tbh if we signed Trippier he'd soon be first choice, and the emphasis would be on AWB to improve.

Possibly against the top sides you might want AWB to start to keep the opposing LW quiet.

TheGame

Haven't seen a lot of him since went to Spain (and welcome views from regular la Liga watchers) but to play most of the games in the title winning side, he must be doing something right?

And sure I read he didn't get carded all season? Which, in a league where they fall over when you sneeze, is some achievement for a defender.
He was in the La Liga team of the season, was an excellent player for Athletico.

NYAS

Imagine him and Sancho....
That’s a good point actually, a lot of the Sancho naysayers were talking about how Sancho on the right only worked with Hakimi, now obviously I’m not saying Trippier is anywhere close to Hakimi quality wise, but he may provide the same kind of attributes to free up space for Sancho on the right.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
According to Wikipedia.

"His family are Manchester United fans, and although he was scouted by United when he was eight, he chose to join Manchester City's academy as he knew a few friends there and it was local for him."

mu4c_20le

Would love him as well. Spurs have had some decent rightbacks pass through them the last few years.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Looking like a cert to be our first real signing. Would be good! Proper competition for AWB and much more on the ball creativity. Would be a world of difference in games against smaller teams or deep defences.

tomaldinho1

Does he want to come back though? He's just won a league title and I think he's their 1st choose RB?
Can only think his family haven't settled? Otherwise Madrid to Manchester is a tough move from a quality of life perspective & he's league champion.

Freeney

Supports
Djibouti FC
Hallelujah!!
I swear If this is true a small amount of my faith in Ole will be restored. I honestly thought he was blind to see the inefficiency of AWB two feets.

The White Pele

Has there been any concrete sources on this or is the confidence people have of this being “a cert/inevitable” based on the fact that it just makes a lot of sense?

Would be really happy with this signing if we could get it done for £15m or less.

marktan

Would be a great deal at £15m. We desperately need a better attacking RB against teams that sit back. Defensively though in a back 4 he's a bit shit, which is part of the reason why Spurs sold him.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Has there been any concrete sources on this or is the confidence people have of this being “a cert/inevitable” based on the fact that it just makes a lot of sense?

Would be really happy with this signing if we could get it done for £15m or less.
The Athletic reporting it is good enough for me. Andy Mitten is also running it and he is probably as reputable as it gets regarding Man Utd.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Would be a great deal at £15m. We desperately need a better attacking RB against teams that sit back. Defensively though in a back 4 he's a bit shit, which is part of the reason why Spurs sold him.
We need him against "park the bus" teams.
Very good signing for 15m. AWB can't and shouldn't play every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.