Kieran Trippier / signed for Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
In that case, I’d have thought Atletico will want a profit on what they paid for him considering the price always does increase whenever we are interested in a player. Having said that, if that rumoured £15M-£20M is what will get this deal done then that’s an absolute bargain in today’s market and we should try to get this done.

Sancho & Trippier is a great start to the window. Get a CB & DM as well and it’ll be a very good window.
Agreed.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Hopefully this isn't true.

My Spurs following fan wanted him gone due to his lack of pace but I always thought Trips was a good player.

However, at 30 years of age, what's the point? He'll be in decline very soon. Surely its better to invest in the future?

Plus AWB is fine there. Trips might be better player but he's also much older.
Nah for the fee it’s a great deal to improve the current squad. We are young enough as is that we can afford to bring in some short term quality on small fees like the one discussed

FizzyWomack

Im all for this move. Would love to see trippier here. If we want to be challenging we must have strength in numbers, not just a first team player and a sub par one to back him up.

AWB is great when it comes to tackling but going forward he often looks like he has 2 left feet imo.

Trippier would be a starter in my team.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
If AWB keeps improving at the current rates he’s going be tremendous. I already think he’s ludicrously underrated at beating the press - he was awful at it and clearly targeted but he’s got far better at it now. You’d think he couldn’t pass a ball listening to some of the usual suspects on here. The issue is if he gets injured we have nobody else. Trippier will push AWB to continue to improve, adds depth and also offers another attacking option. Very good signing if it happens.
I agree, he's actually someone I think that has dramatically improved his overall game through the season. The idea he panics on the ball and can't pass is actually extremely old hat now. He's still got some way to improve the attacking output to a level we'd expect, but he's really starting to improve that too. If Trippier can eek out that bit extra we need out of him, we will have a hell of a RB.

Scholsey2004

If we sign him, Ole could play again 3-5-2 which went into the bin after the Leipzig disaster.
This is probably the real motive behind this move. We lack any real tactical flexibility on the right. Wan Bissaka is great at what he does, what he isnt great at is the playmaking side of things. Realistically there are a lot of games where we could stand to swap out a bit of defensive solidarity for a little more technical nouse. The option of playing wing backs right now isnt really credible at all on the right.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
This is probably the real motive behind this move. We lack any real tactical flexibility on the right. Wan Bissaka is great at what he does, what he isnt great at is the playmaking side of things. Realistically there are a lot of games where we could stand to swap out a bit of defensive solidarity for a little more technical nouse. The option of playing wing backs right now isnt really credible at all on the right.
Very true. It’s also the case that we basically have one right back of PL standard. If Wan Bissaka is out, we are truly fecked. Who do we play? Williams? Dalot? Full backs are so vital in this era, you can’t have AWB playing 60 games a season. You need depth in your squad.

It is also the case that against low block teams, Trippier offers much better delivery quality from out wide, which can be essential to breaking teams down. AWB is one of the best pure defenders in the league but his attacking qualities are limited, and that hurts us against low block opponents when we have tons of possession.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Good player, but not really where we need to buy. Feels a bit similar to VdB to be honest.

Scholsey2004

Very true. It’s also the case that we basically have one right back of PL standard. If Wan Bissaka is out, we are truly fecked. Who do we play? Williams? Dalot? Full backs are so vital in this era, you can’t have AWB playing 60 games a season. You need depth in your squad.

It is also the case that against low block teams, Trippier offers much better delivery quality from out wide, which can be essential to breaking teams down. AWB is one of the best pure defenders in the league but his attacking qualities are limited, and that hurts us against low block opponents when we have tons of possession.
I think it actually makes us more reactive than proactive in terms of our approach as well. Hes a predominantly destructive player, which is great, but hes a destructive player in a position now thats increasingly a playmaking one for the best sides. Hes almost unconventional now, at least for a side at the top end of the league. In terms of his strengths hes more like a pure DM like Ndidi than a full back.

McTerminator

My five-a-side team played against trippier when he was at Burnley... he was decent :wenger:

sincher

I think it actually makes us more reactive than proactive in terms of our approach as well. Hes a predominantly destructive player, which is great, but hes a destructive player in a position now thats increasingly a playmaking one for the best sides. Hes almost unconventional now, at least for a side at the top end of the league. In terms of his strengths hes more like a pure DM like Ndidi than a full back.
Absolutely fair point. But... many of us, me included, thought we needed a new LB last year due to similar limitations in Shaw's game. We bought Telles and Shaw showed he can do it. AWB not quite the same type but can definitely improve in the attacking third. Would it take buying a player like Trippier to bring it out, or could Laird step up? Not sure. Trippier might be a smart move I suppose at the right price but doesn't feel like he would really elevate us.

Scholsey2004

Absolutely fair point. But... many of us, me included, thought we needed a new LB last year due to similar limitations in Shaw's game. We bought Telles and Shaw showed he can do it. AWB not quite the same type but can definitely improve in the attacking third. Would it take buying a player like Trippier to bring it out, or could Laird step up? Not sure. Trippier might be a smart move I suppose at the right price but doesn't feel like he would really elevate us.
I dont think its 'attacking' thats the issue per se, AWB's stats are as good as Shaws in that respect. I think its the technical ability, ie quality in possession and suchlike. I'd be surprised if Wan Bissaka has much growth in that respect at this stage. Shaw's problems werent technical, injuries, form and fitness aside he was pretty mediocre in terms of his creative output, his crossing in particular had been poor for a long time. This season hes been more on a par with Wan Bissaka but his general play is a lot better than AWB's is. I think it was more of a case of Shaw for a variety of reasons not performing at the level he should have been at, which i think had been an accepted fact on here for a long time. With Wan Bissaka i get the impression that hes totally on top of his game, hes just not a naturally gifted ballplayer. Everybody has weaknesses that they can work on but if youre just not talented at something youre never going to be great at it. Im not writing him off, obviously. Hes terrific at the things hes good at but i do think we need a player who is good at the things AWB isnt good at so we have more versatility in the way we can aproach games.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I can certainly agree with that. He has the attributes of a CB more than a fullback in my mind. But there is also no doubt he has a great engine. As you say superb in the defensive arts but his playmaking ability, delivery is a considerable deficit in his game. I still very much like him as a player, but having an alternative like Trippier will be excellent for squad balance. I’d still almost always play AWB in the big games though, and just put him on endless crossing training.

Sting

I was so confused as to why he was being priced so low at £20m considering the season he just had with Atlético. I just found out he’s pushing 31, £20m sounds about the right price for him. Experienced and reliable, he’d be a good addition to the squad.

Number32

I can certainly agree with that. He has the attributes of a CB more than a fullback in my mind. But there is also no doubt he has a great engine. As you say superb in the defensive arts but his playmaking ability, delivery is a considerable deficit in his game. I still very much like him as a player, but having an alternative like Trippier will be excellent for squad balance. I’d still almost always play AWB in the big games though, and just put him on endless crossing training.
The problem with AWB's crossing is his vision not his delivery. His delivery is good imo, but he just pick the wrong time to cross and missing the movement of our attackers. You can't fix his vision by training.

How about forget the crossing, and develop him to be a Valencia 2.0. He has the speed and power but lack of bravery to bullies the opposition's fullback. I believe he wants to plays that way but last season he has to play alot. He has to save his energy in a game because Ole was rarely sub him off.

With Trippier as his rotation, AWB can release his full energy because Ole can plays Trippier for the midweek.

sincher

How are they even remotely similar? We clearly do need an experienced RB for backup/rotation, it's not really anything like the VDB signing to me.
To me, the similarity is that the first team before and after the change is possibly the same and certainly not much improved. But we will see. For the right price a deal is fine.

sincher

I dont think its 'attacking' thats the issue per se, AWB's stats are as good as Shaws in that respect. I think its the technical ability, ie quality in possession and suchlike. I'd be surprised if Wan Bissaka has much growth in that respect at this stage. Shaw's problems werent technical, injuries, form and fitness aside he was pretty mediocre in terms of his creative output, his crossing in particular had been poor for a long time. This season hes been more on a par with Wan Bissaka but his general play is a lot better than AWB's is. I think it was more of a case of Shaw for a variety of reasons not performing at the level he should have been at, which i think had been an accepted fact on here for a long time. With Wan Bissaka i get the impression that hes totally on top of his game, hes just not a naturally gifted ballplayer. Everybody has weaknesses that they can work on but if youre just not talented at something youre never going to be great at it. Im not writing him off, obviously. Hes terrific at the things hes good at but i do think we need a player who is good at the things AWB isnt good at so we have more versatility in the way we can aproach games.
Good post, I think I agree with you. Maybe Ole sees this too.

Judas

Open to offers
To me, the similarity is that the first team before and after the change is possibly the same and certainly not much improved. But we will see. For the right price a deal is fine.
Trippier is a big attacking and productivity upgrade over current AWB, even though he's improving. Plus I'm thinking Trippier's defensive work will have improved after playing for Mr. Negativity in Spain.

As long as we don't get fleeced on the price, I think its a proper smart bit of business.

C'est Moi Cantona

Good player, but not really where we need to buy. Feels a bit similar to VdB to be honest.
You could have said the same thing about Telles, but we ended up with a massively improved LB because he gave Shaw the kick up the arse he needed just by been there.

AWB doesn't have any competition for his place really, if he sees someone come in who is most likely going to replace him, then he either improves or loses his place to a better player, there's no down side that I can see.The right side has been a big issue for ages, and we could finally get it sorted with Trippier and Sancho.

VDB was £50 million (no I was wrong, '£35 million with addons') and most people could see there was no obvious place for him, Trippier could be less than £20 million, and there is a gaping hole for him to fill.

Last edited:

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
They play a similar amount of passes per 90 min in the league this season, but Trippier moves the ball 20 % longer per pass. He also moves the ball 50 % «longer forward» (progressive per pass) with each pass than AWB.

While AWB makes 1 succesfull pass into the penalty area and 0,41 crosses per game, Trippier makes 2,29 and 0,55. The player who makes most passes into the penalty area at Man Utd is Bruno with 2,79 and 0,23 crosses. The next player at Man Utd is Rashford (1,73 and 0,19) and Pogba (1,61 and 0,14). Luke Shaw is at 1,56 and 0,54.

I find these numbers interesting because they tell us somethint about a players ability to make a difficult pass. The players with best stats in the league are KdB, Trent, Bruno and Grealish - in that order. Trippiers numbers are quite close for a very defensive side. He would obviously add a lot to our team, and certainly against low block teams.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The Sun have "proof" of this by saying: "Manchester United are thinking of playing Aaron Wan-Bissaka at centre-half in a defensive reshuffle"

Would be an utter farce, given what I see as AWB's dreadful positional sense

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The Sun have "proof" of this by saying: "Manchester United are thinking of playing Aaron Wan-Bissaka at centre-half in a defensive reshuffle"

And his absolutely zero ability for heading the ball. He’s worse than Lindelof in that respect!

You could have said the same thing about Telles, but we ended up with a massively improved LB because he gave Shaw the kick up the arse he needed just by been there.

AWB doesn't have any competition for his place really, if he sees someone come in who is most likely going to replace him, then he either improves or loses his place to a better player, there's no down side that I can see.The right side has been a big issue for ages, and we could finally get it sorted with Trippier and Sancho.

VDB was £50 million and most people could see there was no obvious place for him, Trippier could be less than £20 million, and there is a gaping hole for him to fill.
DVDB was £35m + some add ons. But don’t let the facts get in the way.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
It's more similar to Telles, I think. Puts pressure on AWB, healthy competition.

Good attacking role model for him too.

Like Cavani and Greenwood.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Rafael was let go because he wasnt good enough either once Fergie went. Fergie worked his magic on him and some other players that fell off completely once he left at and after United.
As far as I remember he was still playing well, Van Gaal just didn’t fancy Brazilians and pinned the Leicester 5-3 defeat on him personally. Unlikely he’d still be here now of course but I’m sure he’d have done a better job than Darmian.

Jacob

It's more similar to Telles, I think. Puts pressure on AWB, healthy competition.

Good attacking role model for him too.

Like Cavani and Greenwood.
If he has the same impact Telles had on Shaw but on AWB instead, I'd say a terrific signing.

Andersons Dietician

I spotted that this morning as well and thought what the heck you playing at Sun. must have been reading the CAF from a year ago maybe.

Judas

Open to offers
The idea of AWB as a centre back is downright scary. Can't head the ball, constantly out of position, isn't the best passer, loves a last gasp challenge. Yeah great idea.

dinostar77

Would be good to have an alternative option to AWB at RB especially against low block teams where Trippier would be more effective than AWB. Good to have options though like we have at LB with Shaw and Telles.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The idea of AWB as a centre back is downright scary. Can't head the ball, constantly out of position, isn't the best passer, loves a last gasp challenge. Yeah great idea.
Wasn't there nonsense last pre season about us playing Rojo in DM.

It's from the same guy that's linked us with buying Oblak and Sam Johnstone in the last few weeks. He has no idea.

pascell

Would be suicide from Ole, AWB should be nowhere near the CB position.

Might be being said because Maguire and Lindelof will be at the Euros, so they'll need a longer break than those not at the Euros.

sp_107

Sounds like more of a media bu11sh1t about moving AWB to CB.

What about Max Aarons over Tripper?

zenith

If tripper were to come here, I have a feeling he would start a lot more than say telles does. He pushing 31 and ole would really like to see the right side play much more balanced football right away, and reduce the stress on AWB to finish 90 minutes almost every game

Status
Not open for further replies.