Kieran Trippier / signed for Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

justsomebloke

Maybe he really wants to return and maybe he doesn't, but it's been rumoured and written about for months, so there's at least no reason to treat it like it's some sort of outlandish and completely implausible wild thought.

Widow

And you think AWB can only tackle? He might not be TAA on the ball, but he is easily top 3 RB in the league.
You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to say you're just wrong!

I'm no AWB hater but he has much to learn.

Trippier would be a good alternative when used in rotation with AWB but I fear the lovers of the latter worry he wouldn't be able to get his spot back in the team!

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
Yeah well you don’t buy a spoiler when you have a flat tire. We need a RW, DM and CB not a backup RB.
I wouldn’t mind having good options but that’s not our priority right now.

SecondFig

Trippier would be a good alternative when used in rotation with AWB but I fear the lovers of the latter worry he wouldn't be able to get his spot back in the team!
To be honest, I also can't see why Trippier would sign for us unless he thought he was going to be starting regularly. Not rotated like Telles but starting most weeks. Right now he's the starting RB in a La Liga winning Atleti side, and playing for England - unless he's massively homesick for the northwest, or has been promised the starting position ahead of AWB, I don't see why he would want to come to us.

theklr

To be honest, I also can't see why Trippier would sign for us unless he thought he was going to be starting regularly. Not rotated like Telles but starting most weeks. Right now he's the starting RB in a La Liga winning Atleti side, and playing for England - unless he's massively homesick for the northwest, or has been promised the starting position ahead of AWB, I don't see why he would want to come to us.
Money and the knowledge that he is getting older ? Might be his last big contract, players are always aware of that.

I guess he has enough already, but still.

justsomebloke

Yeah well you don’t buy a spoiler when you have a flat tire. We need a RW, DM and CB not a backup RB.
We do need a backup RB, and I think that ranks with those other needs. What do we do if AWB gets injured? We don't have an adequate option to fall back on, and it'd likely be a major problem. It's just not something worth throwing big money at, given our other needs. Which I suppose is exactly why getting someone as good as Trippier for as little money as that (a reported 20m) seems like a very tempting idea.

Money, 3 year contract, wants to come home and play in England, goes out on a high at Athletic Madrid, has the motivation and confidence to be the no 1 RB at United.

Kostov

He has, nobody said otherwise, luckily he is just 23 and already so good.

He would be, but as someone already said, Trippier would probably be the Telles of this season rather than Cavani. That is as much on AWB being a much more consistent player, less injury prone, better at his own position unlike Martial. And also very importantly, Trippier is a solid RB and always has been just that solid with a good cross, average in many other aspects, Cavani on the other hand has been one of the best strikers on the continent for a decade, Trippier lacks that pedigree.

Chief123

He is better than Walker, James and Azpi, while Cancelo finished the season at LB, and was probably the best full back this season.
Defensively yes. In every other aspect no. AWB is worryingly very poor in any form of offensive action.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
AWB is worryingly very poor in any form of offensive action.
Maybe better than James defensively. Not sure about the other two. I think all three of them has better «awareness». AWB is often ball watching and lose control on his surroundings.

AWB is probably the most improved fullback this year, and he should be proud of that. But there is a lot of good fullbacks in the PL. I would probably have below the ones i mentioned. Maybe even Justin/Pereira when they are injury free.

Last edited:

Kostov

Defensively yes. In every other aspect no. AWB is worryingly very poor in any form of offensive action.
He is very awkward, however constantly improving imo, and managed to get the same assists as Shaw this season, and more than both of the RBs mentioned. So he is not that poor imo, while also playing in a team that often lacks any sort of attacking pattern.

Kostov

Maybe better than James defensively. Not sure about the othet two. I think all three of them has better «awareness». AWB is often ball watching and lose control on his surroundings.

AWB is probably the most improved fullback this year, and he should be proud of that. But there is a lot of good fullbacks in the PL. I would probably have below the ones i mentioned. Maybe even Justin/Pereira when they are injury free.
I think you should watch all of them more often, what AWB manages to save and bail out in our defensive set up, none of the others mentioned is capable of, and easily outweights his flaws.

Craig Ward

Agree with this - I can't see the appeal of trippier coming here.

For me, AWB is firmly our No1 RB and Trippier wouldn't come close to even competing for the no1 RB spot here - he'd firmly be backup if injured or limited to cup games. He'd be more Williams than Telles in my opinion.

People forget - Trippier has always been an ok to decent RB. He's never been great or outstanding. He stunk the place out at Spurs at the end of his time there - he was awful and looked like a sunday league player. I was amazed a big club took him on. Credit where it's due, he's done well in Spain. I've no idea about his form or whatever there, must have been ok as they won the league. I dont think RB's are challenged as much in La Lida compared to the Prem mind.

This is a signing to avoid in my opinion. Given the desperate need to improve other areas - a backup RB wouldnt even cross my mind as a priority in this window.

Kostov

For me, AWB is firmly our No1 RB and Trippier wouldn't come close to even competing for the no1 RB spot here - he'd firmly be backup if injured or limited to cup games. He'd be more Williams than Telles in my opinion.

People forget - Trippier has always been an ok to decent RB. He's never been great or outstanding. He stunk the place out at Spurs at the end of his time there - he was awful and looked like a sunday league player. I was amazed a big club took him on. Credit where it's due, he's done well in Spain. I've no idea about his form or whatever there, must have been ok as they won the league. I dont think RB's are challenged as much in La Lida compared to the Prem mind.

This is a signing to avoid in my opinion. Given the desperate need to improve other areas - a backup RB wouldnt even cross my mind as a priority in this window.
This, he was a disaster before the move.

RC89

But... We want him. If the deal is there to be done, do we stop and say we can't go ahead until we sign someone else first? The only reason you would or should do that is if the purchase impacts the affordability of the other more important purchases, and whether it does or not remains to be seen.

justsomebloke

Oh come on. He was a regular on the side that won La Liga, and is picked for England ahead of AWB. It's ok to have different opinions about who is better among good players, but to suggest he's less than Telles doesn't seem reasonable.

And I disagree with you regarding the need for a backup RB. We have nothing adequate in the squad apart from AWB, who probably plays too much, and if he goes down with a long-term injury we're royally screwed.

UncleBob

I think you should watch all of them more often, what AWB manages to save and bail out in our defensive set up, none of the others mentioned is capable of, and easily outweights his flaws.
AWB has two major flaws. He's a bit of a dud going forward and his defensive positioning is surprisingly dodgy. If there's a cross from the opposite flank, odds are that AWB has completely fecked up his positioning, again.

A one vs one down that flank, odds are AWB will be the winner.

For me, i'd be surprised if a more allround player wouldn't outweigh the benefits of AWB's one major strength. I'd also be happy to wager that better positioning with result in less one vs ones down that flank anyway, AWB allows it to happen because he's going to win the duel.

romufc

If he came, I wouldn't be surprised if he took the RB spot of AWB. People rate him but he is only good at slide tackling.

Defensively, people say he is good but the number of times I have seen him clueless is a joke. He falls asleep when defending, never in the correct line, most of the times he is the furthest defender playing players on. Loses his marker almost every time on the back post and gets done on the 1-2 very easily.

I can see Tripier being No. 1 RB if he signs.

Craig Ward

Oh come on. He was a regular on the side that won La Liga, and is picked for England ahead of AWB. It's ok to have different opinions about who is better among good players, but to suggest he's less than Telles doesn't seem reasonable.

And I disagree with you regarding the need for a backup RB. We have nothing adequate in the squad apart from AWB, who probably plays too much, and if he goes down with a long-term injury we're royally screwed.
I said, credit where its due he picked up form in La Liga.

Go and watch some spurs games in Trippiers last season - he was very poor.

Put it into context - Trippier wouldn't start ahead of AWB. He wouldn't even rotate with him. AWB is miles better and has more potential. Telles currently can't get a sniff because Shaw's form improved with the competition. AWB wouldn't need to improve his game to keep his place, because Tripper doesnt threaten the starting spot. Thats why Trippier, for me is more Williams than Telles. Williams doesnt compete for a start, neither should Tripper.

We have Dalot and Laird coming back from loans. I'm not saying they're the answer - but we have much higher priorities around the squad. We need starting players for DM, CB and CF as a minimum. We have 10 or so players who need to be moved on from the squad.

The squad needs more attention that a backup RB who will be limited to cup games - in my opinion

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Damn people still say WAn Bissaka is crap going forward.

Some people will only give another person a single chance to impress and no ability to improve.

Madness.

All these fullbacks are very lucky to play under certain managers - like Walker was a joke until pep managed him and has him passing wide every time he gets the ball.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I would take him. Against weaker teams at OT he will be more useful than AWB. And we need to have 2 rb

Damn people still say WAn Bissaka is crap going forward.

Some people will only give another person a single chance to impress and no ability to improve.

Madness.

All these fullbacks are very lucky to play under certain managers - like Walker was a joke until pep managed him and has him passing wide every time he gets the ball.
I’m not sure a player who was the most expensive full back in the world (from memory) was a joke.

however I agree with the point in the post.

people form an opinion easily, and then don’t change it.

Kostov

AWB has two major flaws. He's a bit of a dud going forward and his defensive positioning is surprisingly dodgy. If there's a cross from the opposite flank, odds are that AWB has completely fecked up his positioning, again.

A one vs one down that flank, odds are AWB will be the winner.

For me, i'd be surprised if a more allround player wouldn't outweigh the benefits of AWB's one major strength. I'd also be happy to wager that better positioning with result in less one vs ones down that flank anyway, AWB allows it to happen because he's going to win the duel.
He's a bit of a dud, and still provides the same numbers as the supposedly much better attacking RBs, in reality he is very awkward on the ball, yet he has improved his ball carrying ability tremendously this season. And then we get to the positioning issue, yes he has been caught couple of times in an awkward position, but what full back hasn't been?

And very importantly have you all forgotten how shit Trippier was in his last season at Spurs? His all round play was absolute dogshit, and defensively even before that he was at best average. I think many will be disappointed if it actually happens. We are not bringing Dani Alves or Philip Lahm past his best, it's Trippier.

justsomebloke

I said, credit where its due he picked up form in La Liga.

Go and watch some spurs games in Trippiers last season - he was very poor.

Put it into context - Trippier wouldn't start ahead of AWB. He wouldn't even rotate with him. AWB is miles better and has more potential. Telles currently can't get a sniff because Shaw's form improved with the competition. AWB wouldn't need to improve his game to keep his place, because Tripper doesnt threaten the starting spot. Thats why Trippier, for me is more Williams than Telles. Williams doesnt compete for a start, neither should Tripper.

We have Dalot and Laird coming back from loans. I'm not saying they're the answer - but we have much higher priorities around the squad. We need starting players for DM, CB and CF as a minimum. We have 10 or so players who need to be moved on from the squad.

The squad needs more attention that a backup RB who will be limited to cup games - in my opinion
Sorry, but are you seriously arguing Trippier is more or less in the same quality bracket as Brandon Williams? Would Brandon Williams play for Atletico? Or get selected for England, with a possibility he might start ahead of Luke Shaw, out of position on left back? It's fine to watch games and form opinions about players, but maybe it's also good to ask yourself if there are maybe some signs out there that should tell you you might be a trifle on the harsh side there....

Bebestation

He's a bit of a dud, and still provides the same numbers as the supposedly much better attacking RBs, in reality he is very awkward on the ball, yet he has improved his ball carrying ability tremendously this season. And then we get to the positioning issue, yes he has been caught couple of times in an awkward position, but what full back hasn't been?

And very importantly have you all forgotten how shit Trippier was in his last season at Spurs? His all round play was absolute dogshit, and defensively even before that he was at best average. I think many will be disappointed if it actually happens. We are not bringing Dani Alves or Philip Lahm past his best, it's Trippier.
I want Trippier here not because I hope it puts Wan Bissaka down - but more so than wan Bissaka can learn from a player who was always a fullback - unlike wan Bissaka who is still only 3 years in to his role and arguably plays with the weaker defender and midfielders and attackers on his side.

Wan Bissaka and Trippier would be a good combination of fullbacks with slight differences to their play. I don’t think wan Bissaka would be dropped for trippier but I also feel that he would get more games than Telles did.

Craig Ward

Sorry, but are you seriously arguing Trippier is more or less in the same quality bracket as Brandon Williams? Would Brandon Williams play for Atletico? Or get selected for England, with a clear possibility he might start ahead of Luke Shaw, out of position on left back? It's fine to watch games and form opinions about players, but maybe it's also good to ask yourself if there are maybe some signs out there that should tell you you might be a trifle on the harsh side there....
No thats not my argument. My argument is Trippier doesnt compete for the starting spot at RB for us. He'd be a cup player and backup for injury.

He'd have the same place in the squad as Williams in that regard, but he's clearly a better player. Tripper doesnt compete with AWB for me

justsomebloke

No thats not my argument. My argument is Trippier doesnt compete for the starting spot at RB for us. He'd be a cup player and backup for injury.

He'd have the same place in the squad as Williams in that regard, but he's clearly a better player. Tripper doesnt compete with AWB for me
Okay, thanks for clarifying.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Put me in with the ‘if he comes then he’s taking AWB’s spot ’ crowd too. I think he’ll do a Cavani - brought in as cover/rotation but eventually you realise he’s actually better than the guy he’s deputising for.

Bebestation

Put me in with the ‘if he comes then he’s taking AWB’s spot ’ crowd too. I think he’ll do a Cavani - brought in as cover/rotation but eventually you realise he’s actually better than the guy he’s deputising for.
That doesn’t mean that Wan Bissaka doesn’t get better right?
Shaw was a pile of shit until he got a player that played to all his weaknesses.

Shaw was a pile of shit until he got a player that played to all his weaknesses.
to be honest, I don’t care who plays. If the net benefit is that we have a better starting RB and greater strength of depth and quality - can’t give two hoots which one is starting.

justsomebloke

I think it would be surprising if he ends up being a pure backup, like Telles. You could also imagine there might be a division of labor depending on the opposition or situation, with Trippier brought on or started when we need to emphasise offensive contribution.

A couple of thoughts on how various rumours here might be connected, assuming there's something to what we're hearing (which is of course a bit speculative). Apparently, we are in well-advanced talks to sign Sancho for around 80m. That's basically the whole transfer allocation. So, we're scrambling to find creatively cheap solutions elsewhere. Hence the possibility of moving AWB to CB and bringing in Trippier, which addresses needs at CB and RB for just 20m. Provided of course you think AWB would be an upgrade in central defence.

2 man midfield

If it causes AWB to raise his game then great! I don’t see how this is a bad thing for us either way.

2 man midfield

I think it would be surprising if he ends up being a pure backup, like Telles. You could also imagine there might be a division of labor depending on the opposition or situation, with Trippier brought on or started when we need to emphasise offensive contribution.

A couple of thoughts on how various rumours here might be connected, assuming there's something to what we're hearing (which is of course a bit speculative). Apparently, we are in well-advanced talks to sign Sancho for around 80m. That's basically the whole transfer allocation. So, we're scrambling to find creatively cheap solutions elsewhere. Hence the possibility of moving AWB to CB and bringing in Trippier, which addresses needs at CB and RB for just 20m. Provided of course you think AWB would be an upgrade in central defence.
Surely nobody thinks that, apart from people at the Sun who think they’re being clever. AWB has no idea where he is half the time, moving him centrally might be the worst idea since letting Phil Jones take a corner.

If we’re looking at cheap solutions then we might as well just give Axel a proper go. Speaking of Axel, if he has to watch a right back move out of position just to cover a spot he himself plays then I think he’ll leave and never come back. And who can blame him? It would be like when Pogba watched Rafael and Park play central midfield.

justsomebloke

Surely nobody thinks that, apart from people at the Sun who think they’re being clever. AWB has no idea where he is half the time, moving him centrally might be the worst idea since letting Phil Jones take a corner.

If we’re looking at cheap solutions then we might as well just give Axel a proper go. Speaking of Axel, if he has to watch a right back move out of position just to cover a spot he himself plays then I think he’ll leave and never come back. And who can blame him? It would be like when Pogba watched Rafael and Park play central midfield.
Sure, seems as likely as not. Still, it's always fun to see how different transfer rumours fit together.

El Jefe

Some people just don't know what they have until its gone. I can't believe after the seaon AWB has had he still seems to have so many critics and even more baffling some want him as an understudy to Trippier.

Just imagine if we had Trippier all season at RB alongside Lindelof, we'd be even more exposed in defence. Trippier is also notorious for giving fouls away so that means more set pieces in dangerous areas. Sure he's good going forward and has a good cross on him but he comes with his own flaws too. The time to have him and AWB fighting for a position was the last two seasons, AWB is established now and only getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.