Kieran Trippier / signed for Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people just don't know what they have until its gone. I can't believe after the seaon AWB has had he still seems to have so many critics and even more baffling some want him as an understudy to Trippier.

Just imagine if we had Trippier all season at RB alongside Lindelof, we'd be even more exposed in defence. Trippier is also notorious for giving fouls away so that means more set pieces in dangerous areas. Sure he's good going forward and has a good cross on him but he comes with his own flaws too. The time to have him and AWB fighting for a position was the last two seasons, AWB is established now and only getting better.
then AWB won’t mind the competition, cement his place in the 1st 11. trippier will play games to give him a rest and we have valuable depth and experience and a threat from the bench.

let’s not get precious. I am a big fan of AWB - but competition helps, and he cannot play every game. At time over the last two seasons he’s looked dead on his feet, but had carried on as we didn’t have a sufficient replacement.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Damn people still say WAn Bissaka is crap going forward.

Some people will only give another person a single chance to impress and no ability to improve.

Madness.

All these fullbacks are very lucky to play under certain managers - like Walker was a joke until pep managed him and has him passing wide every time he gets the ball.
If anything, it's his defensive iq that's crap.

He looks lost every single time he has to defend a set piece or when he has to mark someone who doesn't have the ball.

Kostov

I want Trippier here not because I hope it puts Wan Bissaka down - but more so than wan Bissaka can learn from a player who was always a fullback - unlike wan Bissaka who is still only 3 years in to his role and arguably plays with the weaker defender and midfielders and attackers on his side.

Wan Bissaka and Trippier would be a good combination of fullbacks with slight differences to their play. I don’t think wan Bissaka would be dropped for trippier but I also feel that he would get more games than Telles did.
I don't really think AWB can learn much from Trippier, the guy just won the spanish league, probably the worst tile race they've had in 20 years and he has always been a pretty average player imo. I think he can be a useful squad player though and will probably adapt much easier than Telles, so it all depends on the money involved.

Also add to the fact that Ole rarely rotates, I don't think he would get much games.

Drizzle

He looks lost every single time he has to defend a set piece or when he has to mark someone who doesn't have the ball.
Yep. He's not as bad as many make out going forward. And he's nowhere near as good at defending as most say.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

This is why I think Ole might use him centrally- not for him to be our long term CB; but to understand things like his positionining and keeping players onside etc

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We do need a RB who can offer more going forwards. I get the feeling that no matter who you play at RW our left side will continue to be the dominant side unless we have a dual threat on the right - from both RW and RB. Someone like Sancho alone isn't going to solve everything. We need the RB to be a threat too and make use of the space that the winger would create.

So yeah, I think we need an additional there. Whether that's Trippier or someone else. Ideally it would be somebody with a good instinct in attack.

Abraxas

Can't get my head around targeting an aged player, probably on his last big contract for this particular hole.

It's all very well pointing out AWB's flaws, which I think many would agree with, but to me that only serves to highlight that we need a longer term challenger for the position. Full back is a very demanding position, where is Trippier going to be in 2-3 seasons time? Once they even slightly lose their legs they are redundant.

If the argument is then that Trippier replaces AWB, well..AWB isn't going to get better on the bench. It could mean that at the end of this contract we've got 2 duds at RB, one that has been a bit part and one that is old. How is that good squad planning? I think the transfer team have to see a bit beyond the immediate need and upside of Trippier.

Would be far better paying a bit extra now for an improving player ready to take the next step. Him and AWB battle it out and the winner will be here into the long term.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Can't get my head around targeting an aged player, probably on his last big contract for this particular hole.

It's all very well pointing out AWB's flaws, which I think many would agree with, but to me that only serves to highlight that we need a longer term challenger for the position. Full back is a very demanding position, where is Trippier going to be in 2-3 seasons time? Once they even slightly lose their legs they are redundant.

If the argument is then that Trippier replaces AWB, well..AWB isn't going to get better on the bench. It could mean that at the end of this contract we've got 2 duds at RB, one that has been a bit part and one that is old. How is that good squad planning? I think the transfer team have to see a bit beyond the immediate need and upside of Trippier.

Would be far better paying a bit extra now for an improving player ready to take the next step. Him and AWB battle it out and the winner will be here into the long term.
We seem to need many additions so a few here and there will have to be compromises/cheap deals. Going for Trippier depending on the fee may open up the possibility to spend more, for example, on a CB

El Jefe

then AWB won’t mind the competition, cement his place in the 1st 11. trippier will play games to give him a rest and we have valuable depth and experience and a threat from the bench.

let’s not get precious. I am a big fan of AWB - but competition helps, and he cannot play every game. At time over the last two seasons he’s looked dead on his feet, but had carried on as we didn’t have a sufficient replacement.
I don't mind getting an additional RB because we are light in the position, I just feel that getting Trippier isn't the best use of £20m this summer. Having Trippier in the team will force Ole to rotate much more than he needs to. I'd prefer bringing Dalot back and using that extra £20m on funds to bring in a CM. We're being linked with CBs and Sancho but its gone awfully quiet on a midfielder and that is an absolute must.

romufc

AWB is young, there is no point having 2 young RB's at the club fighting for the no.1 spot. AWB has alot to learn, signing Tripier will give him a kick up the backside and improve.

If in 2 season he doesn't, he gets moved on for another RB, its how football works. This also gives time for us to see how Laird would do with another loan spell under his belt.

Remember the geese

The hope is that Ethan Laird can come through in the next few years and challenge for a starting place. Therefore Trippier is the ideal age profile right now.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I am not too bothered about this signing. If we get him for a decent price then why not? We have enough young players, a couple of experienced players for lowish fee won’t do us any harm.
Trippier will also need to adapt as unlike Atletico we don’t defend with 10 men. He will not get as much support from our attacking players in terms of defending.
He can rotate with AWB which can only be good. Don’t see any disadvantage if we sign him.

Abraxas

We seem to need many additions so a few here and there will have to be compromises/cheap deals. Going for Trippier depending on the fee may open up the possibility to spend more, for example, on a CB
I understand that concept, I agree it makes sense to limit spending on this position, ultimately AWB hasn't been that bad. Just not with Trippier in my opinion.

All we are doing is pushing the problem a few years down the line. At that point the problem may be worse and more expensive to fix if we rely heavily on Trippier because we'll have two players unfit for purpose. One old and one that hasn't been trusted fully and probably hasn't improved at the rate required.

If we're saying Trippier is a squad player, well..to what extent? If he plays half the games, maybe it's okay. If he's playing at a Telles rate, it's not so okay in my opinion. They may be quoting 20 million but it's not like Trippier will be coming for 10k a week. The overall financial package may be higher than targeting a lower profile, younger player that would have less chance of leaving us scratching our heads once Trippier is gone.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Makes total sense. There are bigger and more expensive starting 11 holes that need filling.

Would be far better paying a bit extra now for an improving player ready to take the next step.
Easy to say but Trippier brings good experience for a very reasonable price. We can look at something more long term in a few windows time.

rotherham_red

Really? He sure can tackle but there is much room for improvement in other areas before he can be considered one of the best in the league.
He was the most productive attacking RB not named Trent last season, and was similarly so the season before as well. I know he doesn't look it, but he is effective as an attacker and he is getting better.

The problem is twofold: first, is that he has very often been left to his own devices on the right flank with almost no support forthcoming from whoever is deployed on the RW. Second, is that TAA has warped people's perceptions because he plays as a RW from that RB position, and it shows in his defensive game (or lackthereof). Liverpool can do it because their midfield is designed to solely do the running for the fullbacks and the wingers.

A fullback getting 5-10 goal contributions while also being defensively solid is top quality end product. There isn't a RB alive who can give you c.15-20 goal contributions and be defensively solid all season, every season. Not even Dani Alves or Javier Zanetti could do that, and they were arguably two of the greatest and most complete fullbacks of the last 30-40 years. Just think about it rationally: the time spent in the attacking third is time that isn't spent on the defensive third. And a defender will and should be spending a big portion of his time in his defensive third. Even the mid-lower teams will have periods in games where they are on the attack against the biggest and best teams.

I don't mind getting an additional RB because we are light in the position, I just feel that getting Trippier isn't the best use of £20m this summer. Having Trippier in the team will force Ole to rotate much more than he needs to. I'd prefer bringing Dalot back and using that extra £20m on funds to bring in a CM. We're being linked with CBs and Sancho but its gone awfully quiet on a midfielder and that is an absolute must.
Dalot is not good enough. If we can get £10m for him I would be delighted. We don’t want two developing RBs and I don’t have any confidence that Dalot can come in and play games ti anywhere near the same standard as AWB - whereas Trippier can.

Widow

He was the most productive attacking RB not named Trent last season, and was similarly so the season before as well. I know he doesn't look it, but he is effective as an attacker and he is getting better.

The problem is twofold: first, is that he has very often been left to his own devices on the right flank with almost no support forthcoming from whoever is deployed on the RW. Second, is that TAA has warped people's perceptions because he plays as a RW from that RB position, and it shows in his defensive game (or lackthereof). Liverpool can do it because their midfield is designed to solely do the running for the fullbacks and the wingers.

A fullback getting 5-10 goal contributions while also being defensively solid is top quality end product. There isn't a RB alive who can give you c.15-20 goal contributions and be defensively solid all season, every season. Not even Dani Alves or Javier Zanetti could do that, and they were arguably two of the greatest and most complete fullbacks of the last 30-40 years. Just think about it rationally: the time spent in the attacking third is time that isn't spent on the defensive third. And a defender will and should be spending a big portion of his time in his defensive third. Even the mid-lower teams will have periods in games where they are on the attack against the biggest and best teams.
Stats can be deceiving. I've watched every single game of football since the started putting them all on TV, not every United... Every single game (the only positive from lockdown) AWB has been attributed assists from a wayward pass. The way some stats are recorded can be very miss leading.

Trippier is currently far better with his attacking buildup although AWB is getting better. Having two good RB can only be a good thing, I can't see why people wouldn't want this deal. I haven't read any comments suggesting AWB should leave if Trippier arrives.

We need strength in depth.

sugar_kane

Agreed on this - and it is completely masked by his ridiculous ability to make perfectly timed tackles on the flanks, convincing fans and pundits alike that he is brilliant defensively.

The nearest equivalent I can draw is De Gea's world class shot stopping reflexes vs. his all round game, it's the part everyone notices the most because it's the most dramatic and noticeable - but his all round game (which is easy to miss) drags down the team overall, and arguably invites more attacking pressure onto our defence.

It's less subtle than the GK issue, as it's easier to call out a defender being out of position on a goal replay than it is to critique a keepers overall game, but it gets overlooked because just of how spectacular his tackling ability is and also because pundits/fans often define defending as tackling (in the same way keeping is defined as shotstopping)

romufc

Exactly, I can do with a RB not being the best going forward, but that has to be made up by him being the best defensive RB.

AWB is only good at slide tackles. I mean everything else in his game is poor, down to throw ins too. We give away almost every throw in we take from his side to the opponent too.

I am quite worried about his lack of progress, the same faults seem to be the problem game in game out.

Plays forwards onside when the other 3 have pushed, goes to sleep on quick freekicks, and is completely lost when the ball is crossed from the Right and he has to defend LB/LW.

Abraxas

Makes total sense. There are bigger and more expensive starting 11 holes that need filling.

Easy to say but Trippier brings good experience for a very reasonable price. We can look at something more long term in a few windows time.
You say that as if moving a decisive decision on the position to "a few windows time" would be a strength of our process. I disagree, it's the type of thinking that wastes money through short termism. If you're going to do a job do it properly, we should have 25 names at RB we have data and reports for.

I bet Athletico are not too bothered about losing a 30 year old right back for 20 million and his wages off the books. They'll probably happily sign the type of player I'm referring to, that they're confident is of the right age and quality to do the job and they'll be the better for it. It shouldn't just be easy to say, it should be relatively easy to do if your scouting and process is correct.

The truth is we are not sure about AWB. Some good, some bad. There is no point patching that situation up, something has to give. He either shows he is quality or within the next few years he fades away. That's why I don't like this papering the cracks transfer.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think he's better than Telles but plays on the right.

I'd start him against lower league opposition where his crossing can help us unlock tight defences.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
You say that as if moving a decisive decision on the position to "a few windows time" would be a strength of our process. I disagree, it's the type of thinking that wastes money through short termism. If you're going to do a job do it properly, we should have 25 names at RB we have data and reports for.

I bet Athletico are not too bothered about losing a 30 year old right back for 20 million and his wages off the books. They'll probably happily sign the type of player I'm referring to, that they're confident is of the right age and quality to do the job and they'll be the better for it. It shouldn't just be easy to say, it should be relatively easy to do if your scouting and process is correct.

The truth is we are not sure about AWB. Some good, some bad. There is no point patching that situation up, something has to give. He either shows he is quality or within the next few years he fades away. That's why I don't like this papering the cracks transfer.
All I'm saying is he's a good player, available for a reasonable price who is a good option for a position we have no real cover for. There's always room for signings like that while we sort out other glaring holes in our squad. Nothing to do with the strength of our process.

I'm sure Atletico wouldn't mind holding on to him either, from what I understand he wants to move.

tomaldinho1

I don't really think AWB can learn much from Trippier, the guy just won the spanish league, probably the worst tile race they've had in 20 years and he has always been a pretty average player imo. I think he can be a useful squad player though and will probably adapt much easier than Telles, so it all depends on the money involved.

Also add to the fact that Ole rarely rotates, I don't think he would get much games.
More so on this point, we really don't want to be playing Simeone's system & we know Trippier had a very mixed reputation from Spurs fans when he was in the PL. You can create competition for places without signing an older player, there are plenty of younger RBs we could also be looking at who could add depth.

As an aside, we seem to be taking the whole Telles giving Shaw competition a bit too much as some universal rule. Shaw has always been supremely talented and had a high ceiling but his attitude was always a question mark. He's also stayed fit which no doubt plays into his good form and is also happy. AWB's issue has seemingly nothing to do with his mentality, it's an actual technical/coaching issue. Personally I think we keep playing him, you can see he improved even just looking at this season and will improve a lot more with someone who can play RW positionally in front of him.

If we have to sign older players for depth, I'd much rather we were looking at CB, DM, CM, ST, RW over RB

Kostov

More so on this point, we really don't want to be playing Simeone's system & we know Trippier had a very mixed reputation from Spurs fans when he was in the PL. You can create competition for places without signing an older player, there are plenty of younger RBs we could also be looking at who could add depth.

As an aside, we seem to be taking the whole Telles giving Shaw competition a bit too much as some universal rule. Shaw has always been supremely talented and had a high ceiling but his attitude was always a question mark. He's also stayed fit which no doubt plays into his good form and is also happy. AWB's issue has seemingly nothing to do with his mentality, it's an actual technical/coaching issue. Personally I think we keep playing him, you can see he improved even just looking at this season and will improve a lot more with someone who can play RW positionally in front of him.

If we have to sign older players for depth, I'd much rather we were looking at CB, DM, CM, ST, RW over RB
This is a very good point, I think Sancho with his playing style would be perfect to AWB, and they would transform our right side.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We do need a RB who can offer more going forwards. I get the feeling that no matter who you play at RW our left side will continue to be the dominant side unless we have a dual threat on the right - from both RW and RB. Someone like Sancho alone isn't going to solve everything. We need the RB to be a threat too and make use of the space that the winger would create.

So yeah, I think we need an additional there. Whether that's Trippier or someone else. Ideally it would be somebody with a good instinct in attack.
Did you not think AWB was improving in the second half of the season? I thought he'd come on leaps and bounds. If he's got Sancho in front of him he's going to have options.

He's demonstrated some incredibly useful strengths. Being available almost all of the time and happy to be run into the ground is definitely one of them. If we can get another right back who will feature much less, but enough to keep AWB fresh and on his toes, great. Trippier might help him polish his end product in the final third, but Trippier won't dislodge him from our team.

Without question I'd have taken him to the Euros, but delighted he's getting the summer off.

SuperiorXI

Makes a lot of sense for us to sign him, we clearly need more options on that side. I read AWB played more minutes than even Rashford last season!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Makes a lot of sense for us to sign him, we clearly need more options on that side. I read AWB played more minutes than even Rashford last season!
Him and Maguire until Maguire got injured.

SinNombre

AWB played the most minutes of anyone in Europe’s top leagues.

Bruno and Maguire are in the top 6 as well along with Dias and one more City player iirc

croadyman

Agree with this - I can't see the appeal of trippier coming here.

For me, AWB is firmly our No1 RB and Trippier wouldn't come close to even competing for the no1 RB spot here - he'd firmly be backup if injured or limited to cup games. He'd be more Williams than Telles in my opinion.

People forget - Trippier has always been an ok to decent RB. He's never been great or outstanding. He stunk the place out at Spurs at the end of his time there - he was awful and looked like a sunday league player. I was amazed a big club took him on. Credit where it's due, he's done well in Spain. I've no idea about his form or whatever there, must have been ok as they won the league. I dont think RB's are challenged as much in La Lida compared to the Prem mind.

This is a signing to avoid in my opinion. Given the desperate need to improve other areas - a backup RB wouldnt even cross my mind as a priority in this window.
Yeah it would be fourth priority on my list too but it's seemingly third on Utd's and with a limited budget we should be thinking about putting that extra £15-£20m towards a proper DM which is absolutely essential for this team to improve. Yes in an ideal world we could have a little bit left to sign him but not at the detriment of what we really need.

Last edited:

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
This has to be one of the biggest myths become facts in the minds of the CAF I’ve ever seen.

UncleBob

He's a bit of a dud, and still provides the same numbers as the supposedly much better attacking RBs, in reality he is very awkward on the ball, yet he has improved his ball carrying ability tremendously this season. And then we get to the positioning issue, yes he has been caught couple of times in an awkward position, but what full back hasn't been?

And very importantly have you all forgotten how shit Trippier was in his last season at Spurs? His all round play was absolute dogshit, and defensively even before that he was at best average. I think many will be disappointed if it actually happens. We are not bringing Dani Alves or Philip Lahm past his best, it's Trippier.
Which numbers are you referring to?

Caught couple of times :lol:

Diabovermelho

It seems that every player the british media is optimistic about (like Sancho and Trippier), Romano quickly dismiss it. Saying stuff like no negotiations for Sancho and now that Trippier won't leave. It's curious how at odds they are.

Idxomer

That was the most unexciting thing I've watched in 2021, can't believe someone made 13 minutes of this.

gajender

It seems that every player the british media is optimistic about (like Sancho and Trippier), Romano quickly dismiss it. Saying stuff like no negotiations for Sancho and now that Trippier won't leave. It's curious how at odds they are.
Rule of thumb despite poor reputation amongst general transfer speculation hungry fan base I find British journalist who cover United talking about likes of Laurie Whitwell , James Cooper even Andy Mitten more trustworthy they usually tend to give mostly genuine transfer updates regarding United even if it comes with United Slant.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
This is an absolute no brainer for me, assuming a decent price. Wants to come back to England, is a United fan (I think) and more importantly, is a second RB.

We are one slightly dodgy spider-tackle away from not having a single senior RB in the squad. That is insanity.

Even if AWB stays fit all season, all top teams sub FBs because they get through so much work in the modern game. Trippier presents a totally different option from AWB.

So AWB remains first choice for sure, but Trippier gives a squad option we desperately need. And if Laird is good, great, Trippiers no spring chicken - the young'un can learn adn take over.

jesperjaap

Personal opinion is it seems everybody is under rating AWB and over rating Trippier.....and baffling with all that is wrong with our first eleven, let alone squad, that with a reported £140-150m people feel spening 15% odd of our budget on a 30year old right back is a good move.

I guess people can mention the Telles deal. At the time though Luke SHaw was both injured a lot, still not performing to what w ehoped for and still not so confident after being treated poorly by the previous manager. AWB is hardly ever injured, super one on one and imprinvg all the time going forward. I agree with other that on set pieces and defending crosses he needs to improve vastly....but you could label the same still at time positionally with Shaw and certainly label that at Lindelof who isnt excelling in any other areas either though he has improved too......then there is no centre back back up that is fit or competing really to grab an average centre backs spot, there is McFred etc etc.

I think Trippier is a decent and solid right back if we were maybe 1 or 2 first eleven players short and 2 or 3 squad players short, wouldnt be a bad signing, but in the context of the face we are 3 or 4 first eleven players short and a larger amount squad wise excluding some as of yet barely used or proven youngsters, makes no sense to me buying Trippier when its probably bottom of our priority list this summer

Rustyspider13

I'd take Tripper for a Telles type fee as we have zero depth in RB. Sometimes all you need is a player who can play in that position just to give AWB a rest. Best case scenario he has a Telles on Shaw like impact and provides a few decent crosses for Cavani. Worst case scenario he gives AWB some needed time off during the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.