Kieran Trippier / signed for Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
For the right price this is a great signing - competition for places breeds a winning mentality. AWB is hugely underrated on this forum though - if he continues his improvement since we signed him he’ll be a machine in a few years.

Andersons Dietician

I’m still a bit perplexed by this signing unless it’s something like 10 mil.

I suppose since he’s a bit like Shaw he can play as a 3rd CB or inside midfield and play a bit of a role like Walker did for England freeing Shaw to stay higher up or vice versa Shaw is tucked in midfield or as a CB just so we have an extra body in midfield to allow us to roll out Pogba and Bruno.

Revaulx

If we don't sign a CM this season, that means Pogba is staying. Having him, Bruno and the expected ball playing improvement from CBs might be enough for creativity from the middle with Cavani being good with heading the ball from wings. It makes sense to buff the wing attacking play this season for that. Frankly, it was a tad shit last season with Rashford not playing well and the right side being the right side despite AWB improving a lot.

The middle along with a striker will probably be addressed next season with both Pogba and Cavani likely to go out.
Indeed.

Once AWB gets in a decent attacking position he’s generally pretty effective; maybe better than Shaw was until relatively recently. He’s absolutely miles behind Shaw in progressing play from back to front though; that’s something Shaw has always been good at and I think it’s the main reason we look so lopsided.

Pavl3n

I want him here not because he is better than Wan Bissaka but more because wan Bissaka can learn from competing with him.
This signing will just transform our Right side along-with Sancho. I feel this is a priority signing despite what most people think. Would not be surprised to see him become first choice by mid season
All signings are very important in their context. Having Trippier as the other RB will be great for our squad and for AWB just like Bebestation said.
If we see anything like Shaw's improvement after Telles' arrival - would bring AWB another 3-4 goal involvements on top of his 6 he recorded last season (2G + 4A).
He would fit way better as 'the other RB' than Dalot in my opinion.
And it's also good mentioning Trippier has La Liga title under his belt, which is valuable experience that he would bring to the squad.

The only worry is Atleti's asking price. I guess they're ready to lose him on a free in a year time rather than now on the cheap. That tells you that they value him and want to keep him.
I think he'd still join us but either next year on a free or in Jan for peanuts. Unless he really pushes for a move this summer and we up our offer.

stevoc

I’m still a bit perplexed by this signing unless it’s something like 10 mil.

I suppose since he’s a bit like Shaw he can play as a 3rd CB or inside midfield and play a bit of a role like Walker did for England freeing Shaw to stay higher up or vice versa Shaw is tucked in midfield or as a CB just so we have an extra body in midfield to allow us to roll out Pogba and Bruno.
Or we could play him at RB, which is his natural position.

Abraxas

Not thrilled by this one but I do like the fact he's desperate to come here. It's always a very good sign. It makes sense for him logically speaking, he's from the area, but that's a bonus as well because he is going to settle quickly and be in a good frame of mind to perform. Hopefully we're bargaining Madrid down quite substantially from their reported starting position as that made no sense for us.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Trippier against bottom 10 teams, AWB against top 10 teams. Sorted.
other way round... AWB is caught out of position so often it's frightening - it's the reason he has to make all those last ditch tackles. Trippier also pretty good at set pieces. He looks much better after his spell with Atletico and the fee shouldn't be humongous (which seems to worry people here as if it was their money being spent)

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Another signing that makes sense, especially for a good price and the fact that he can also play as a LB

Devil81

I'm all for this signing but in truth what does it actually mean for AWB?

Signing Trippier would basically be Ole saying I don't think you are good enough to start matches for us. Trippier starts every day of the week ahead of him and the lack of us of Telles would suggest we wouldn't see much of AWB either.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Can take a setpiece, brilliant cross, good passing , can defend and can play a wing back.

Still don't want him ? Seriously? This will be one of the best signings in recent years. With Sancho and him, our right side will be near perfect.

bond19821982

I'm all for this signing but in truth what does it actually mean for AWB?

Signing Trippier would basically be Ole saying I don't think you are good enough to start matches for us. Trippier starts every day of the week ahead of him and the lack of us of Telles would suggest we wouldn't see much of AWB either.
Yeah, if only Pep had thought like that while signing Cancelo.

Shaw was a beast last year. Telles would be used more this year

SER19

Squad depth squad depth squad depth. Can't believe some don't grasp how essential that is. Each of the last 3 seasons we've had spells where players looked shattered or just had to keep playing through terrible form.

spiriticon

I personally would prefer Trippier to AWB tbh. He can give so much more to Sancho and Greenwood.

diarm

Trippier is also said to be a real leader and good presence in the changing room. I read before the Euros that that was why Southgate is so keen on him.

More leadership is something our squad can always benefit from.

Devil81

Yeah, if only Pep had thought like that while signing Cancelo.

Shaw was a beast last year. Telles would be used more this year
That's a fair comment to be fair, Ole and Pep seem different styles of managers though. Pep likes to rotate far more than Ole does so let's see how the season goes.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
So? His game is not pace reliant & he won’t play every game. What’s the issue? The current depth at right back is Brandon Williams. Trippier is an enormous upgrade.
Signing Trippier makes the depth AWB. Which is a massive upgrade on Williams.

bond19821982

That's a fair comment to be fair, Ole and Pep seem different styles of managers though. Pep likes to rotate far more than Ole does so let's see how the season goes.
With players getting less rest due to Euro and an early world cup next year, it's imperative to have quality players in each positions. Shaw and AWB won't stay fit like last year. There would be some injuries.

zenith

He'd be first choice ahead of AWB at least for a couple of years. His all round game is much more developed and with Sancho ahead of him, our right hand side would be every bit as effective as the left and that's a very exciting prospect

roseguy64

other way round... AWB is caught out of position so often it's frightening - it's the reason he has to make all those last ditch tackles. Trippier also pretty good at set pieces. He looks much better after his spell with Atletico and the fee shouldn't be humongous (which seems to worry people here as if it was their money being spent)
AWB isn't caught out of position when he makes most of his tackles. He's just so good at them that you think he's forced to. It's a choice. It's in the box/defending the cross where his positioning is inconsistent.

Rolaholic

Is it unzipping time yet?

Trippier and Sancho on that right flank :drool::drool:

Wonder if we could move AWB to RCB in a back 3 if it goes through

Infestissumam

sign him, keep Telles, loan out Williams, sell/loan out Dalot. Shaw/Telles on the left and AWB/Trippier on the right would be pretty sexy.

Daonico

to be honest, if I had pep's squad I would enjoy rotating much more than if I had ole's squad

I am all for this if the price is right... I don't care if AWB or Trippier will be the first option, let them battle for it... competition is good, and having alternatives too

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
That explains the reduced price and why we want him. He'll cut back AWB's minutes which is important and provide competition. If he were 25 I would be questioning this because I think AWB will be a top notch RB. I really think he'll be starting for England at the WC because his attacking skills have improved and will keep improving.

gazbradley

Trippier is also said to be a real leader and good presence in the changing room. I read before the Euros that that was why Southgate is so keen on him.

More leadership is something our squad can always benefit from.
Yeah another one of the reasons I’m happy for this deal to happen, watching the euros you could see he was a real talker even when on the side warming up/down. He’s got real quality going forward from full back too and will be a great outlet against them teams that sit back. If we can get it done for 20 mil or under its smart business in my opinion. Plus he’s a local lad, not 100% he’s a fan but I know some of his family are so seems a no brainier for me

Status
Not open for further replies.