Kieran Trippier / signed for Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas

Open to offers
Trippier would add a winners mentality, he's just won a league title, we simply don't have enough of that sort of experience in our squad right now. Although Varane will add to that too.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Trippier would add a winners mentality, he's just won a league title, we simply don't have enough of that sort of experience in our squad right now. Although Varane will add to that too.
Indeed. Part of out transfer strategy seem to be just that, buy winners and leaders/captains.

Giggsy13

The deal that makes the most sense would be to send Dalot to Atletico in a cash plus player deal. It doesn’t seem like Dalot has a future here and I doubt he’d turn down the move either.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He said he’d only join if he Was guaranteed first team, that ain’t Happening. Unless we played 3 at back and had AWB as a Cb

El Jefe

AWB>>>Trippier for me but I'm happy for rotation based on form and keeping both fit and competitive. Dalot and Williams are awful and we've been extremely lucky not to have either filling in at RB for a long period of time.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
AWB>>>Trippier for me but I'm happy for rotation based on form and keeping both fit and competitive. Dalot and Williams are awful and we've been extremely lucky not to have either filling in at RB for a long period of time.
At what? Tackling.. what else? Speed I guess. There’s literally all I can think of.

SAFMUTD

Same Scenario, he'd be a great singing to push AWB something like Telles did with Shaw. But paying over 20M for him would be stupid considering the players wants the move, only haves 1 year left and atletico paid just 22M for him. If atletico doesnt agree then we'll pick him up for free next year.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Atletico is known for being hardball when doing negotiations, not seing it happened by less than 50/60M.

saivet

The deal that makes the most sense would be to send Dalot to Atletico in a cash plus player deal. It doesn’t seem like Dalot has a future here and I doubt he’d turn down the move either.
I don't doubt Dalot would take the move but I'm not sure Dalot is a full back Simeone would want

El Jefe

At what? Tackling.. what else? Speed I guess. There’s literally all I can think of.
Tackling, one on one marking, carries the ball better and is better in tight spaces. He's also faster as you mentioned. AWB also happens to be getting better while Trippier is at his peak.

Trippier plays like a more natural fullback and is better offensively but its worth remembering spurs sold him because he became a complete liability defensively. He managed to revive his form at Atleti but it remains to be seen if he'll be as solid outside of Simeone's system.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'd have him ahead of AWB from the start personally so I hope we get him.
I think AWB improved a lot in the second half of last season, and is young enough to further improve, but right now I think Trippier is better. So if he comes, I do not think he will come to warm the bench.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
AWB is better at Trippier defensively. Going forward - Trippier is better than AWB
Is he actually better do you think? Or just that he plays more cautiously and makes a few fantastic looking last ditch sliding tackles that arguably other defenders don’t make as much because they position themselves in such a way that they don’t need to?

lysglimt

Scout
Is he actually better do you think? Or just that he plays more cautiously and makes a few fantastic looking last ditch sliding tackles that arguably other defenders don’t make as much because they position themselves in such a way that they don’t need to?
He has a bit to learn about positioning - granted, but most of his last ditch sliding tackles is against really good wingers who try to go past him. No one succeeds - so yes, if we are up against a strong side - I would take AWB over Trippier. If we are up against a side where we dominate much more - that is another matter.

Gandalf

Can someone tell me why he extended his contract like 2 months ago if he wanted to leave?
I think it was a clause that activated based on appearances rather than him choosing to extend. Similar to the situation with Giroud, Chelsea picked up his option when he was deep in contract negotiations with Milan in order to insist on a fee, they did not want to keep him but were not letting him walk for free.

StonedhamsterZA

Is Dalot really that unfavourable an option as backup? I mean, we honestly didn’t get enough time to see what he could do.

Seems frivolous to be spending money on another capable starting RB in Trippier, rather than just relying on AWB, Dalot and Laird (in a pinch).

I’m not against building depth and doing the whole “Telles fixing Shaw” thing, but if we are on a budget, why are we considering this guy instead of prioritising a DM or something.

Just weird in my eyes. I really like AWB, he’s great at defending, and sure, his forward movement and final ball needs work, but he’s young and capable, keeps it simple, and doesn’t conform to the whole JLingZ and Pogba lifestyle. Many positives in my books.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Is Dalot really that unfavourable an option as backup? I mean, we honestly didn’t get enough time to see what he could do.

Seems frivolous to be spending money on another capable starting RB in Trippier, rather than just relying on AWB, Dalot and Laird (in a pinch).

I’m not against building depth and doing the whole “Telles fixing Shaw” thing, but if we are on a budget, why are we considering this guy instead of prioritising a DM or something.

Just weird in my eyes. I really like AWB, he’s great at defending, and sure, his forward movement and final ball needs work, but he’s young and capable, keeps it simple, and doesn’t conform to the whole JLingZ and Pogba lifestyle. Many positives in my books.
To me it says AWB hasn’t progressed as we’d hoped, and so we’re bringing in someone who can show him what we want from a right back. Then he can pick up the position again in a couple of years if he kicks on. I never for a second expected Trippier to be playing second fiddle.

Dan_F

Atletico is known for being hardball when doing negotiations, not seing it happened by less than 50/60M.
I’m going to assume you’re talking in Euro, but even that is insane. We just bought Sancho, with two years left on his contract, 21 years old, for 80 odd million.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
To me it says AWB hasn’t progressed as we’d hoped, and so we’re bringing in someone who can show him what we want from a right back. Then he can pick up the position again in a couple of years if he kicks on. I never for a second expected Trippier to be playing second fiddle.
We'll probably play 55-60 games, so there's plenty of games to go round.
Tripper offers better delivery, and can play wing back.
Signing him doesn't suddenly relegate Wan Bissaka to some kind of fringe player. You know he got more assists last season than the much vaunted Shaw? He's progressed a fair bit since the player that teams would supposedly just allow to have the ball!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We'll probably play 55-60 games, so there's plenty of games to go round.
Tripper offers better delivery, and can play wing back.
Signing him doesn't suddenly relegate Wan Bissaka to some kind of fringe player. You know he got more assists last season than the much vaunted Shaw? He's progressed a fair bit since the player that teams would supposedly just allow to have the ball!
Yeah maybe, I definitely think he’ll have his uses and get plenty of games where the match is more suited to his style. I just think for the reported 18m it makes tonnes of sense to pick him up, and rather than sign a lesser player for depth like we usually do, it makes a nice change for us to go out and sign a better one. Then we’re getting depth and improving the starting XI.

RedDevilRoshi

Same Scenario, he'd be a great singing to push AWB something like Telles did with Shaw. But paying over 20M for him would be stupid considering the players wants the move, only haves 1 year left and atletico paid just 22M for him. If atletico doesnt agree then we'll pick him up for free next year.
Aren’t the latest reports stating that we are in discussions for him for around £18M-£20M? For that, amount definitely should get it done and I think Atletico would rather part ways with him now so they at least get some of that money back on what they paid for him last summer rather than lose him for nowt. Plus aren’t they skint just like their Madrid neighbours and Barca?

Similar to Varane, one year left on the deal and the player has no intention of extending that and wants to come.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
This will happen for around 20m pounds, suspect more of 15m pounds.

We shall see.
Unless there is some power move done between Man Utd and his agent and Man utd putting some easy clauses in his contract that would make his transfer fee goes up quickly, can't see that value happening. Atletico is still OK with their finances overall. and they are known for pushing the price to the limit.

I’m going to assume you’re talking in Euro, but even that is insane. We just bought Sancho, with two years left on his contract, 21 years old, for 80 odd million.
Yes, sorrry. I'm so used to Euros I forget to convert in this forum.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Will be an excellent signing. We have no depth at right back and a lack of options against the low block. This is something most have called for for ages.

Dan_F

Yes, sorrry. I'm so used to Euros I forget to convert in this forum.
It’s okay, we’re talking about a Spanish team and you’re from Portugal I assume :)

I still think that price is a mile off what they can expect, regardless of currency.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
It’s okay, we’re talking about a Spanish team and you’re from Portugal I assume :)

I still think that price is a mile off what they can expect, regardless of currency.
Atletico started the trend of making more money on loans than on transfers. They won a lot of money by hiring players and sending those players on loan by considerable fees to arab leagues, portuguese leagues (they actually made a lot of money on excedentary players in the portuguese league). They are rutheless and inflexible in lowering their prices (Oliver Torres gone to Porto for 20M, they didn't lowered a cent)

I just checked now, his release clause is actually 40M €, so there is space for negotiations.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I've seen this said a few times, as if Tripper has some long history of winning trophies.
He was with Burnley and Spurs for long periods, so he's hardly Trophy Malone.

Judas

Open to offers
I've seen this said a few times, as if Tripper has some long history of winning trophies.
He was with Burnley and Spurs for long periods, so he's hardly Trophy Malone.
He literally just won a title with Atletico, one more title than most of our squad. At least he knows what it's like to do it, plus he was a starter for most of it, it's not like he was just smiling in the background giving moral support.

Status
Not open for further replies.