Kieran Trippier / signed for Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He literally just won a title with Atletico, one more title than most of our squad. At least he knows what it's like to do it, plus he was a starter for most of it, it's not like he was just smiling in the background giving moral support.
Depends if he is influential to the others.
Pogba has a world cup, has won trophies with us, and won sh!Tloads elsewhere, yet did that rub off on others? Arguably not.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
He has a bit to learn about positioning - granted, but most of his last ditch sliding tackles is against really good wingers who try to go past him. No one succeeds - so yes, if we are up against a strong side - I would take AWB over Trippier. If we are up against a side where we dominate much more - that is another matter.
i get that, I just think it’s not coincidence that someone like Luke Shaw doesn’t seem to make those tackles. It’s clearly not because he’s a worse defender. I guess I’d compare it to Rio Ferdinand, who’s motto was ‘stay on your feet’. He was an exceptional player precisely *because* he did that.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Will be an excellent signing. We have no depth at right back and a lack of options against the low block. This is something most have called for for ages.
yeh. At 20m, we get an experienced and good attacking FB that can tutor our young FB(s); who is familiar with the League, and ready to go.

It's an exciting signing.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Depends if he is influential to the others.
Pogba has a world cup, has won trophies with us, and won sh!Tloads elsewhere, yet did that rub off on others? Arguably not.
True. We had Young and Valencia before also. Multiple League winners, more than Trippier.

sp_107

yeh. At 20m, we get an experienced and good attacking FB that can tutor our young FB(s); who is familiar with the League, and ready to go.

Cavani will be happy too as Trippier is capable of pin point crosses

El Zoido

Think he would be an astute signing, could well end up being ahead of AWB. Trippier and Varane alongside Maguire and Shaw is really formidable on paper. Trippier if definitely an upgrade on AWB going forward, probably worse in defense but has a ton of experience and probably would be an upgrade on AWB. Even £30m might be worth it, I’ve never been fully convinced on AWB. Would love to see what he’s made of.

criticalanalysis

i get that, I just think it’s not coincidence that someone like Luke Shaw doesn’t seem to make those tackles. It’s clearly not because he’s a worse defender. I guess I’d compare it to Rio Ferdinand, who’s motto was ‘stay on your feet’. He was an exceptional player precisely *because* he did that.
Interesting point about Shaw because whilst I think he has usually very good positioning, understanding of cover and general game intelligence I do think he has been sometimes a bit lax in closing down his 1-vs-1s and players who hug the byline.

AWB's style of defending when he gets it right, which is usually 7 or 8 times out of 10, completely shut downs a wide player in their tracks. The issue is in open play where AWB finds himself on the half turn, tracking runs, 1-2-1s etc. The staying on your feet stuff is utter BS imo. You need to be both proactive and reactionary with the ability to back it up. I look at Lindelof and the praise he gets for non engagement is as laughable as Neville's praise of Rooney's midfield 'silent domination' performance.

This will be a very interesting year for AWB. Fully rested summer, not getting a call up from England and playing with a really dynamic and smart wide player in front of him. I think Sancho can bring out the best of him because AWB will finally have someone to interplay with, who will take most of the ball playing attention away and he can 'excel' in simply providing overlapping runs/width and draw defenders outwide i.e something he can do and is decent at.

The United

Interesting point about Shaw because whilst I think he has usually very good positioning, understanding of cover and general game intelligence I do think he has been sometimes a bit lax in closing down his 1-vs-1s and players who hug the byline.

AWB's style of defending when he gets it right, which is usually 7 or 8 times out of 10, completely shut downs a wide player in their tracks. The issue is in open play where AWB finds himself on the half turn, tracking runs, 1-2-1s etc. The staying on your feet stuff is utter BS imo. You need to be both proactive and reactionary with the ability to back it up. I look at Lindelof and the praise he gets for non engagement is as laughable as Neville's praise of Rooney's midfield 'silent domination' performance.

This will be a very interesting year for AWB. Fully rested summer, not getting a call up from England and playing with a really dynamic and smart wide player in front of him. I think Sancho can bring out the best of him because AWB will finally have someone to interplay with, who will take most of the ball playing attention away and he can 'excel' in simply providing overlapping runs/width and draw defenders outwide i.e something he can do and is decent at.
What?! I want to see that.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich

Just my opinion but I feel like AWB kinda hates going forward. He does it but he almost acts like he doesn’t really want the ball; it’s not like Shaw who makes those direct runs from the halfway line to close to the box, and he’s really difficult to get off the ball. The only match I’ve seen him live he just gained so much territory with each thrust, not necessarily through skill but through his strength and bursts of pace and keeping the ball close to his feet. Chelsea couldn’t live with him. I think he’s got the potential to be one of the very best fullbacks in the league, a peak Kyle Walker if you like. I just don’t see that with AWB, regardless of who is in front of him. Although to give that a caveat, AWB is a confidence player who was thrown in at the deep end. He’s treading water but who knows whether he’ll sink or swim.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
AWB isn't caught out of position when he makes most of his tackles. He's just so good at them that you think he's forced to. It's a choice. It's in the box/defending the cross where his positioning is inconsistent.
he's been caught out dozens of times... and has played opponents onside quite often too by not stepping up with others. he has a lot to learn

GMoore23

He's 31 with only a year left on his current deal. He's also pushing for the move so anything over 10m is daylight robbery imo.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
What are the prices quoted?
Will we announce him, Varane and Sancho together?
One paper says it's as high as £43m but all others say £30m. However, others here claim they've seen at least double that (one person saying even higher): of course, they may have had a a pint or two too many...

I don't see £30m for an engand international, who had a good (if not totally brilliant) Euros, as excessive

Adamsk7

I don't know why but why the feck aren't we in for Max Aarons?
Because he’s currently the attacking version of AWB. Great potential but we need someone experienced as competition. Trippier is decent in both halves and a great crosser of the ball. He’s also a winner.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
What are the prices quoted?
Will we announce him, Varane and Sancho together?
About 18m and definitely not RE double/treble announcement. As cringey as it may seem to us, business do actually look for things like social media engagement numbers. They’re not going to split that between multiple shiny new toys.

There’ll be 3-4 days minimum between any signings to allow them to milk all the social media stuff on each one

Hoof the ball

Because he’s currently the attacking version of AWB. Great potential but we need someone experienced as competition. Trippier is decent in both halves and a great crosser of the ball. He’s also a winner.
I heard that Barca are open to offers for Dest, due to their financial issues, which would be an excellent coup. Was very good for them this last season.

Jev

Think he'd be a shrewd signing who would improve us more than people realise.

Decent age with the five-year scope we seem to have for our established squad (Maguire 28, Pogba 28, Varane 28).

croadyman

I hope we go for Trippier and not Aarons.
Yeah clearly Ole is looking for someone experienced who is able to offer more going forward than AWB, by the sounds of it we were very interested in signing him in January but then he got that ban which scuppered it

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

this has deadline day deal written all over it

Reiver

I honestly don't think we need him. I think Wan Bissaka will be fine with Sancho in front of him. He'll be good in support and he can get on with what he does best - defend. We can spend the money elsewhere.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I honestly don't think we need him. I think Wan Bissaka will be fine with Sancho in front of him. He'll be good in support and he can get on with what he does best - defend. We can spend the money elsewhere.
We don't have any backup for AwB. RB is important signing this season.

Also AWB defending has been quite suspect and he leaves a lot to be desired going forward. Good competition will improve him.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
If we get Trippier I think quite a few are in for a big surprise. The difference between him and AWB, and how much that affect our buildup and transition will be very significant.

It will also remove our gravitation to the left in the final third and improve our attacking play, but I think that is less important. Our big issue is buildup and transition.

Reiver

We don't have any backup for AwB. RB is important signing this season.

Also AWB defending has been quite suspect and he leaves a lot to be desired going forward. Good competition will improve him.
I don't necessarily disagree with anything you've said, although I think he's generally fine in defense. Also, I think some ask too much of him going forward and he definitely improved here.I definitely agree that he needs competition. But if Atletico are going to ask too much for him, we can go elsewhere.

sp_107

Full backs are very important in these modern days Buddy, See how much difference Shaw made last year so if we have same input from right hand side we are in for a treat + he provides cover for AWB.

More over Trippier is a very good team player / motivator and bring some fun to the training sessions, which is a bonus and we need characters like him and Bruno

Abraxas

Apart from his crossing I don't see how his forward play is going to make this staggering difference some claim. The crosses are nice, mainly when Cavani is playing, probably less of a factor otherwise.

But other than that he's neat and tidy but hardly the most dynamic player in the world. AWB has a lot more pace, if we could coax him into making more runs without the ball that would allow Sancho more space. Or if they want to let AWB go then he may get plenty of open space to get into more dangerous positions as well now there is a bigger threat from the right flank, potentially. Mason is still very much learning the game, the runs, the positioning, and can be quiet which makes the job harder for a full back.

spiriticon

Ok, I'm now camping in here after the Varane thread. God it's been a hell of a summer in these threads :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.