Kieran Trippier / signed for Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Even if United do sign him, I think it's merely for cover. I think the move makes sense if we had a manager who would make the tactical changes to start Tripper over AWB in games where we need a more attacking minded full back on the right, or bring him on for his crossing as a sub to change the game. There's been times when Bissaka has looked he's got nothing left in the tank and yet he starts every game.
No chance. Trippier gets games for England, AWB can’t even get near the squad. He is levels better.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
you think Ole is ready to give up on Bissaka?
Unless we’re playing a top 4 team away from home & want to do a job on their winger I really don’t understand why anyone who has ever watched football would play Aaron Wan-Bissaka over Kieran Trippier. The difference between them in ability on the ball is clear & obvious. We have one of the best headers of the ball in the history of football playing up front. Kieran Trippier is an accomplished crosser of the ball. Aaron Wan-Bissaka looks like bambi on ice whenever the ball is under his control. It’s really not a difficult choice

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We do not play a back five
When will people realise that Trippier is not the answer. Go and speak to any Spurs fan or watch a game where he is in a 4 and has to defend hes awful.
and from what we've seen this season, still an upgrade

kps88

When will people realise that Trippier is not the answer. Go and speak to any Spurs fan or watch a game where he is in a 4 and has to defend hes awful.
Athletico don't always play with a back five and he looks fine. He's improved that side of his game a lot under Simeone. He would have been a great signing for us since Dalot is a far bigger defensive worry and he can actually put in a good cross.

Devil81

He's still better than AWB and his ice skate boots, he seems to spend most of his game stretching for either his late tackles or his bad first to his.

He's one of the last few players that need upgrading and also the manager.

Abraxas

Are we really still beating this drum? Is that the extent of our scouting departments creativity, to go for a 30s English right back? The sort of transfer that suggests we can't think of anything else it's that predictable.

Idxomer

He's still not good enough and I'm not sure if he's even an upgrade on AWB.

MasterCode

Are we really still beating this drum? Is that the extent of our scouting departments creativity, to go for a 30s English right back? The sort of transfer that suggests we can't think of anything else it's that predictable.
I genuinely think they are keeping Ethan Laird in mind. Personally don't rate Trippier in the slightest think he's Overrated and is not great.

But I think if they sign young they may block Lairds path. So keep it experienced and have him compete with AWB. Which actually isn't a bad idea.For the eventual addition of Laird

Andrew7582

Is the club expecting him to be able to cut it in the premier league at full back at 33-34 years old, because he'll be wanting at least a 3 year contract. He'll be deadwood within a year of being here.

Oranges038

Is the club expecting him to be able to cut it in the premier league at full back at 33-34 years old, because he'll be wanting at least a 3 year contract. He'll be deadwood within a year of being here.
My thinking exactly, waste of money for someone who will end up being a waste of space.

Bringing back Laird and benching AWB would be a better move.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I was pretty sceptical, but his passing in that first leg against Liverpool was outstanding. We could really do with someone like him instead of AWB - even if he has been improving slightly.

Kag

We should have signed him in the summer, but we didn’t have the stomach to sort things out once and for all. Alas, here we are.

redrobed

We should have signed him in the summer, but we didn’t have the stomach to sort things out once and for all. Alas, here we are.
Glazers didn’t want to spend the money. If you’re anywhere near Texas we’re trying to organise a protest against the cheap skates.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Do not make anymore signings until the next manager is sorted. January signings aren't going to win us anything of significance anyway.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He's in his prime and pl proven. It's a reliable signing and it buys time to see how Laird develops and what the next manager can get out of AWB.

If the price is right and the contract isn't too lucrative, why not? Maybe we get 2 good years out of him, maybe 4. There is a risk but he won't turn deadwood overnight. Also he might not mind sitting on the bench at the end of his contract.

Laird isn't ready just because he's doing well in midtable championship.

Dalot has proven he's not up to it, so it makes sense to act quickly unless we want to see Bailly at RB.

slyadams

Newcastle really think they gonna sign big names staring relegation in the face?
Tripper is probably right in the sweet spot for the first round of players they’ll sign. He’s a really good player, but not elite. He’s at the stage of looking at his last contract. I’d sign if I was in his position.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ah feck I really wanted him here because Dalot is dogshite

The Purley King

Ah feck I really wanted him here because Dalot is dogshite
Dalot has done pretty well in the last couple of games. Not saying he's the answer longer term, but he should get a run of games now and we'll see what he can do.
I'd be surprised if we went for Trippier now as surely Laird will come back for next season and then we'd have 4 right backs.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don't think Rangnick wants such an old player and will only use the ones we have.

I hope this means we can go for a young attacking RB instead because I like the idea of having a good attacking young RB in competition with a young more defensive option in Wan Bissaka.

I know nothing about Laird and if he is or isn't good enough - but if he is, then through the eyes of our manager and coaches it shouldn't be much of a problem for us anyway.

Ahmer Baig

Newcastle United have submitted a formal bid to sign England defender Kieran Trippier from Atletico Madrid.

Talks between the clubs are ongoing as Newcastle boss Eddie Howe looks to strengthen his squad in the January transfer window.

"Trippier now has to decide if he wants to leave or not," said Atletico boss Diego Simeone. "We will move on his decision." /

Scholsey2004

I don't think Rangnick wants such an old player and will only use the ones we have.

I hope this means we can go for a young attacking RB instead because I like the idea of having a good attacking young RB in competition with a young more defensive option in Wan Bissaka.

I know nothing about Laird and if he is or isn't good enough - but if he is, then through the eyes of our manager and coaches it shouldn't be much of a problem for us anyway.
I wonder if we might be better looking for an Ashley Young type player to convert to right back. There doesnt seem to be any immediately obvious top class young right backs who arent attached to big clubs already. An attacking midfielder who can defend and has a good delivery. Thats basically what Alexander Arnold is really. Converting him to RB so young was a stroke of genius.

PoTMS

We should be all over him at £12m and relatively low wages. He's only 31 and is twice as good as our two current right backs. Late swoop for him?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Not sure why the price is suddenly so low 6 months on. When we asked they wouldn’t budge below 30m.

saivet

We should be all over him at £12m and relatively low wages. He's only 31 and is twice as good as our two current right backs. Late swoop for him?
Newcastle are probably offering big wages for him though. Maybe he'd turn them down to come to United for a lower salary but it may be too good for him to turn down.

PoTMS

Newcastle are probably offering big wages for him though. Maybe he'd turn them down to come to United for a lower salary but it may be too good for him to turn down.
The reported wages are £140k a week. We've got Sancho on more than double that.

poleglass red

knowing that Newcastle are looking to splash the cash and have tons of it, that fee seems quite low considering how steadfast they were when we were linked. Newcastle are looking to show their financial strength here in Jan, clubs I feel could easily make them pay a lot more

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
RR can find a better option than a 31 year old. We need to look to the future. This ship sailed last summer.

GMoore23

Not everyone is a Ronaldo, Giggs or Ibra. He's 31 and will be 32 at the beginning of next season.
We should keep well clear of this one. He missed his chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.