Television Killing Eve

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles

It is based on the Villanelle novellas by Luke Jennings.

Anyone watching this? Only 8 episodes and the season finale is tomorrow. Jodie Comer :drool:

Sanche7

Absolutely amazing series. Think villanelle is the most unique character on TV
When the show started, it was all about Sandra Oh but Jodi Comer has stole the show.
Her acting range and ability to switch between different personas is just something else.
Also she so damn pretty:drool:
Also as I said in the other thread, Phoebe Waller Bridge deserves some credit too.
That sorry baby scene was just something else

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Very enjoyable series so far, as everyone is saying, Jodie Comer steals the show.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Funnily enough, watching the finale right now. Show is just okay, got a Dexter feel to it. Not sure if I can sit through another season tbh.

kps88

I really enjoyed it, even if the finale was a bit messy.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I thought it was great! Such a good character piece.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I enjoyed the first series and will watch the second one but I wonder if they'll be able to sustain the 'cat and mouse' set-up between the two characters. I find one or two meets between adversaries interesting (particularly if there is complexity in their relationship), but three, four and five meets without finality is a stretch.

SSSSnake

Cannot wait for season 2. For me this a solid 9/10 show. I don't know why folks are moaning about it.

Indnyc

Just finished the S2 E1.. I genuinely didn't want the episode to end

kps88

Is the second season any good? I'm struggling three episodes in.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I chose not to watch after S1 finale and as per what I was told post S2 finale, that may be a correct decision.

Sanche7

Not as good as season 1, but still good. I just don't understand what the feck is going on between Villianelle and eve. Also I don't really know what's going on between the MI6 lady and The Russian handler guy. Maybe I was not paying much attention or maybe I was paying too much attention to Jodie Comer :wenger:

arthurka

Not as good as season 1, but still good. I just don't understand what the feck is going on between Villianelle and eve. Also I don't really know what's going on between the MI6 lady and The Russian handler guy. Maybe I was not paying much attention or maybe I was paying too much attention to Jodie Comer :wenger:
Just listen to her speak with her normal voice, her thick scouse accent will clear that right up.

hobbers

Terrible second season. Lazy, predictable and often incoherent writing and totally unrealistic.

Just another in a long long line of tv series sequels that have been absolute gutter trash the last 18 months or so. From luther to the good place, punisher to got.

Silver linings at least they killed off the skyler white of the spooks. Never has such a dull scatty idiot made it into the realms of espionage and assassinations. Awful character in every way and even manages to die in the most predictable and boring way possible.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Finished S2. It's flawed, but I think people are typically going overboard with the criticisms.

Jodie Comer is carrying it though. It's amusing how every single accent is better than her real one too :lol:

Andersons Dietician

Watched it and it eventually kind of turned in to just something that was on in the background whilst I did other stuff. Wasn’t as good as the first series and it seemed very familiar to other sort of psychopath things just reworking the usual old tripe of someone corrupting someone else.

What’s her name became even more annoying than last season Eve. Can’t stand her, such an annoying and bland character that they are trying to make intresting.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The show was never to be taken too seriously, but s2 has been in deed quite silly, and often not in a good way. I think the first couple of episodes were a bit hard to watch, but after that it picked up a bit. For me Jodie Comer/Vilanelle (and some minor roles like Konstantin) is such a brilliant character/acting that the show was still worthwile, but it has definitely dropped in quality.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Don't think it's a coincidence that less involvement from Pheobe Waller-Bridge has seen a dip in quality.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I think the BBC were right to delay this in order to drop it all in one go, ‘cos I’m not sure I would’ve stuck with this season if it hadn’t been bingeable.

Im not sure it’s all down to PWB leaving either (though that obviously doesn’t help) I think they’ve just run the course of the most interesting story. The plot isn’t really there for this one, aside from “let’s do the same cat & mouse dynamic again, only this time it’s less interesting, and also makes less sense that everyone in charge (on both sides) would keep tolerating these two”... also they’ve made Sandra Oh an idiot, and seem to be hinting at replicating (in a very queerbaity way) the notoriously awful twist ending of Hannibal. An ending that was so notoriously awful Jodie Foster refused to be in the film unless they changed it (which they did, and she still wasn’t)....only now it’s somehow brave and sexy? ‘cos, I dunno, women maybe?..

It’s still shot, produced and acted superbly, and the writing is occasionally there, but I just don’t really care about anything. We’ve seen most of it. It’s basically now just a series of engineered set peices designed for Jodie Comer to do cool things. Which is absolutely fine, ‘cos she’s great. But I’m not sure how much more mileage they can get out of it. There has to be a bit more forward momentum.

Last edited:

Jeffthered

The BBC really do celebrate a success.. they go a little over the top, and this I feel has an adverse impact on the ongoing quality of productions. The quality drops, v quickly. PWB seems to be the media messiah for many.. she is clever, and is well-placed in the market for her particular style of production and story-telling. But it isn't AS briliiant as everyone sometimes make out. Fleabag became a tad silly, and now the second series of Killing Eve has followed the same path... the quirky elements have become tiresome, the character development ended some time ago, and now it's just a childish, rather daft er... TV something, because I am not sure whether it is a story, an arts installation, a fashion statement.. a thriller, horror, comedy... and you end up with nothing with any real depth or rigour. Which is a shame, because the actual plot-line could warrant something pretty interesting.

But it's just silly now.

Member 39557

The BBC really do celebrate a success.. they go a little over the top, and this I feel has an adverse impact on the ongoing quality of productions. The quality drops, v quickly. PWB seems to be the media messiah for many.. she is clever, and is well-placed in the market for her particular style of production and story-telling. But it isn't AS briliiant as everyone sometimes make out. Fleabag became a tad silly, and now the second series of Killing Eve has followed the same path... the quirky elements have become tiresome, the character development ended some time ago, and now it's just a childish, rather daft er... TV something, because I am not sure whether it is a story, an arts installation, a fashion statement.. a thriller, horror, comedy... and you end up with nothing with any real depth or rigour. Which is a shame, because the actual plot-line could warrant something pretty interesting.

But it's just silly now.
Sherlock was a prime example of this. It dropped off a massive cliff.

Jeffthered

Sherlock was a prime example of this. It dropped off a massive cliff.
Luther is another one, and I am sure there are others. They are competing with the Online services, and are not quite sure how to go about it. They promote these shows with an almost PR frenzy.. and then they fail to deliver. Sherlock was rinsed to the point is was killed off. Doctor Who is crap. All because of this flaming hype machine about producing a decent series. I mean, they do receice £4BILLION a year ( guaranteed... ) in production income. They should produce some good stuff on occasion...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This “series 1 great, series 2 crap” phenomenon isn’t just a BBC issue. It happens all the time. Stranger Things being an obvious example. Or True Detective. Maybe the common thread is a story that’s only intended to last one season needing to be stretched to additional seasons without the original idea created with those extra shows in mind?

Member 39557

Luther is another one, and I am sure there are others. They are competing with the Online services, and are not quite sure how to go about it. They promote these shows with an almost PR frenzy.. and then they fail to deliver. Sherlock was rinsed to the point is was killed off. Doctor Who is crap. All because of this flaming hype machine about producing a decent series. I mean, they do receice £4BILLION a year ( guaranteed... ) in production income. They should produce some good stuff on occasion...
I thought Luther was shit from the very start. I only made it through the first and only series I'd watched because everybody was saying how great it was.

The first series of Killing Eve was fun and enjoyable but also ludicrous if you give the actions of certain characters any real thought.

crappycraperson

Scout

But it's just silly now.
PWB isn't involved with S2. Also disagree on Fleabag, both seasons were fantastic IMO.

crappycraperson

Scout
I think the BBC were right to delay this in order to drop it all in one go, ‘cos I’m not sure I would’ve stuck with this season if it hadn’t been bingeable.

Im not sure it’s all down to PWB leaving either (though that obviously doesn’t help) I think they’ve just run the course of the most interesting story. The plot isn’t really there for this one, aside from “let’s do the same cat & mouse dynamic again, only this time it’s less interesting, and also makes less sense that everyone in charge (on both sides) would keep tolerating these two”... also they’ve made Sandra Oh an idiot, and seem to be hinting at replicating (in a very queerbaity way) the notoriously awful twist ending of Hannibal. An ending that was so notoriously awful Jodie Foster refused to be in the film unless they changed it (which they did, and she still wasn’t)....only now it’s somehow brave and sexy? ‘cos, I dunno, women maybe?..

It’s still shot, produced and acted superbly, and the writing is occasionally there, but I just don’t really care about anything. We’ve seen most of it. It’s basically now just a series of engineered set peices designed for Jodie Comer to do cool things. Which is absolutely fine, ‘cos she’s great. But I’m not sure how much more mileage they can get out of it. There has to be a bit more forward momentum.
Problem is that they didn't have the gumption to end the first series in the best way possible with Eve killing the villain at the end. Then think of a brand new storyline for season 2. The whole wider conspiracy angle was the worst part of the S1 as well.

Jeffthered

PWB isn't involved with S2. Also disagree on Fleabag, both seasons were fantastic IMO.
PWB is actually formally stated as part of production team for Series Two, but granted hasn't much to do with it. But my point remains.

We will agree to disagree about Fleabag.. Series II was a drop in quality from Series I

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
PWB is actually formally stated as part of production team for Series Two, but granted hasn't much to do with it. But my point remains.

We will agree to disagree about Fleabag.. Series II was a drop in quality from Series I
Unlike with Killing Eve (where the second season has been roundly criticised for a drop in quality), you're very much in the minority with that opinion, I think.

Personally I thought the second season of Fleabag was much better than the first.

Still, opinions.

crappycraperson

Scout
Unlike with Killing Eve (where the second season has been roundly criticised for a drop in quality), you're very much in the minority with that opinion, I think.

Personally I thought the second season of Fleabag was much better than the first.

Still, opinions.
Same. Fleabag S2 is my fav series this year so far. Yes, may be a personal choice but it is also universally acclaimed everywhere so far while Killing Eve season 2 has had mixed to bad reviews at most places.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Problem is that they didn't have the gumption to end the first series in the best way possible with Eve killing the villain at the end. Then think of a brand new storyline for season 2. The whole wider conspiracy angle was the worst part of the S1 as well.
Yup. It’s the same problem Homeland had.

Or basically what @Pogue Mahone said.

The series is based on a book after all. Maybe people should stop basing all our TV shows on books?...or films? Or otherwise already existing properties with finite stories?

Last edited:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It was a bit fun at first, but I haven’t managed to finish season 1 this week. Despite how much Jodie Comer brought it.