Television Killing Eve

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
If only the Guardian didn't hype KE, Fleabag & PWB to death I might actually watch the shows. It's bloody annoying.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
If only the Guardian didn't hype KE, Fleabag & PWB to death I might actually watch the shows. It's bloody annoying.
Fleabag is superb and worth all plaudits.

Haven't seen this one but it definitely doesn't look as good.

SteveJ

Scout
Fleabag is superb and worth all plaudits.

Haven't seen this one but it definitely doesn't look as good.
It's just my usual anti-middle class attitude, mate. I should get over it.

djdhrubs

I thought Luther was shit from the very start.
Curious to know what made you think Luther was shit? Because the reason I think it's brilliant is because it's bonkers. I wonder whether that's the reason you think it's shit?

Member 39557

Curious to know what made you think Luther was shit? Because the reason I think it's brilliant is because it's bonkers. I wonder whether that's the reason you think it's shit?
The governor woman can't act and has the cheesiest lines imaginable. I actually suspect the part might have been written for a man, and then a decision was made to recast? There really are some cheesy lines! Idris Elba isn't particularly good in it either. Perhaps he gets better in series 2?

Luther solves every case within minutes with barely any clues or evidence. Whilst doing this, he also makes the worst decisions imaginable and repeatedly breaks/bends the law. Taking evidence out of storage to bait criminals, planting false evidence etc, and his colleagues and superiors accept all this and cover for him. Every time something goes wrong, he smashes up his office and/or home and everybody just seems to accept it.

He has repeated meetings and exchanges with a killer/sociopath but keeps it a secret from everybody, once again putting his job, liberty and life at risk despite the fact that he could be using some of the exchanges in order to prove she's a killer.

His trusted colleague that he's known for years turns out to be bent and decides to go around murdering people and tries to kill luther, Luther still tries to cover for him despite this :rolleyes: then the guy kills Luther's wife, I mean, really?

It's shite. I have one more episode to finish the first series, then I'm done with it.

Edit:

Saw the last episode of series one last night. I was actually laughing at the unintentional comedy of it. Hilarious stuff!

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
My flatmates have started watching this. Why did they get ask Kim Bodnia to do a Russian accent? Get a Russian on screen if you need a Russian accent, you pricks.

djdhrubs

@Bill.s.preston So pretty much exactly what I said. It's a bonkers show, which is why I love it, and most of the reason why you don't!

After watching The Wire, I was expecting Idris Elba in Luther to be in a gritty realistic urban thriller. So I was very pleasantly surprised to see him in something totally unrealistic and turned up to 11. That's the whole charm of the show!

Member 39557

@Bill.s.preston So pretty much exactly what I said. It's a bonkers show, which is why I love it, and most of the reason why you don't!

After watching The Wire, I was expecting Idris Elba in Luther to be in a gritty realistic urban thriller. So I was very pleasantly surprised to see him in something totally unrealistic and turned up to 11. That's the whole charm of the show!
Everybody was saying how great it is, and it was marketed in a way that made it seem like a proper serious show. A lot of the reviews take it seriously too (rotten tomatoes)
Perhaps this raised my expectations, but if you think about the actions of the characters etc, it's just naff.

SteveJ

Scout
Got very bored watching this through the second series but Jodie Comer is an incredible actress.
She's great. I watched her in England Is Mine recently, and wondered who the actress playing the brassy, buxom and shallow woman was...it was Jodie.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Got very bored watching this through the second series but Jodie Comer is an incredible actress.
The second season made it glaringly obvious that they totally picked the wrong actress to play Eve. The sexual tension there should be between her and Vilanelle was totally unbelievable.

Sandra Oh makes the show feel cheap and is an insult in a way to the impressive Comer.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The second season made it glaringly obvious that they totally picked the wrong actress to play Eve. The sexual tension there should be between her and Vilanelle was totally unbelievable.

Sandra Oh makes the show feel cheap and is an insult in a way to the impressive Comer.
Regardless of how you see her acting performance I think the writing in season two was pretty atrocious and in particular her character.

Dante

Average bang
I'm going to see out this final season because I've watched all 3.5 seasons up to now. However, I'm not enjoying it.

The show has always been a bit style-over-substance. But, at this point, I don't think the writers aren't even pretending to care about the substance part. In season 4, they seem so desperate to affect a French New Wave sensibility they've even hired a French woman to vamp it up as the new antagonist.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Season one of this was fantastic, but it's gradually got worse. Season 4 is almost unwatchable. It irritates me how much I hate a show now that I really, really liked.

Although I'll still watch it to the end, as I feel i've got to, seeing as i've got this far.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Season one of this was fantastic, but it's gradually got worse. Season 4 is almost unwatchable. It irritates me how much I hate a show now that I really, really liked.

Although I'll still watch it to the end, as I feel i've got to, seeing as i've got this far.
Agree, it's a hard slog right now. However the fetching Ms. Comer makes it easier to stomach.

Deery

Dreary
What the feck is this series, it’s got nothing in common with previous series’ just trying to be surreal and cool but coming across lame and annoying. Must be new writers for this season or something, bit annoying as all she had to do was get rid of the twelve and end the show, simples.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
That opening episode was so very boring.

They sidestep Comer for the awful Eve character? The previous two seasons have got worse and worse, would have been better if they just killed Eve early in season 2 and made it all about Villanelle.

DavelinaJolie

The missus and I put off watching the show until this year, and then blazed through the first season, which was very entertaining. After that I've gradually found it more and more daft to the point I struggle to pay attention. Missus loves it, but I think that's because she has had a crush on Kim Bodnia since watching The Bridge last year. Eve has become the most tiresome, irritating TV character in recent memory, for me.

We're half way through S4. I would rather read before bed than watch the rest.

cafecillos

Everything got so ludicrous after a decent and relatively intriguing first season it's probably the worst show in terms of writing I've seen to completion in a good few years. Yes, it was always far-fetched and over the top, but the plot had some resemblance of direction, or purpose or whatever, or at least some ingenuity and a certain freshness, but nope. I don't know how important Waller-Bridge was in the writing, but iirc she was only involved creatively in season 1?

Anyway, if anyone was waiting for it to finish to binge it, don't, that time will be better spent watching or doing basically anything else. 0 substance and not even that much style compared to the absolute visual joy that many other shows provide.

hobbers

Everything got so ludicrous after a decent and relatively intriguing first season it's probably the worst show in terms of writing I've seen to completion in a good few years. Yes, it was always far-fetched and over the top, but the plot had some resemblance of direction, or purpose or whatever, or at least some ingenuity and a certain freshness, but nope. I don't know how important Waller-Bridge was in the writing, but iirc she was only involved creatively in season 1?

Anyway, if anyone was waiting for it to finish to binge it, don't, that time will be better spent watching or doing basically anything else. 0 substance and not even that much style compared to the absolute visual joy that many other shows provide.
Waller-Bridge only did season 1. Every other season has been given to a different female writer.

What its looked like this season was someone took an eclectic sound track and tried to fit a load of pointless random events to it.

And Eve continues to be the most unlikeable and unrealistic character in current tv.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
God that finale was awful, found the plot so hard to follow and directionless for way too long.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I haven't finished season 2 yet. Or maybe season 3. I forget. Doubt I'll go back to it. Season 1 was fun.

Edit: I got about half way through season 3.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I thought series one was decent. I watched it, I quite enjoyed it. Series two was not good so I stopped halfway through. Had no idea they were on the fourth season.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Bizarre show. I remember watching season 1 and thinking it was pretty decent. Season 2 was meh. It's been genuinely bizarre the rest of the way. Would not recommend to anyone. Terrible show.