Kim Min-jae | signed for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
If we indeed sign Kim, we are looking at 3 players (Varane,Martinez and Kim) who deserve starting-place. I don't think CB is the position which Eth will rotate , most likely scenario where these 3 would get games would be Varane getting injured and Kim and Martinez starting.
I think it would be a over-kill to keep 4 defenders especially Shaw is playing well in defense too. As you mentioned, I would rather sell Victor and buy a full-back.
hmm, but i think that would leave us stretched at times unless maybe you are factoring in Bailly :eek: and maybe Mengi coming good. I love Varane but to have him with just Kim and Martinez is basically like having 2.5 players to cover CB. I'd also prefer to keep Shaw as the main LB for now but maybe as he gets a bit older and Malacia continues and upward trajectory he could step in full time at CB, but thats at least a season away i think. Again i could understand the club accepting a good fee for Victor but IMHO he would need replacing if he goes.

surf

Not saying that Kim would do this, but I'd have no problem if we signed someone who took Varane's starting spot. Same with Casemiro. You want the older players to be challenged by younger signings.

ManRed

What's your thinking behind that?

Unless there is serious injury to Martinez or Shaw going forward, the logical step would be to cover for Varane. Shaw is a better CB cover than Lindelof is. Relying on Lindelof as your right sided CB cover makes the team much worse overall compared to having a Kim, who suits what we actually need i.e aerially dominant, can press high and cover, proactive and can pass from the back.
Shaw playing as a cover at LCB really weakens are Left wing as we dont have a quality LB as cover. Buying another LB also makes no sense.

Erik himself said he prefers a Left footed player for LCB so if we dont play Shaw there we need a Left footed CB to cover Martinez.

Lindelof has been good at RCB and Varane is anyways first choice there. We can look to get a top quality RCB in a year or 2 to replace Varane all together

TsuWave

I know swap deals don’t happen often, but wonder if Napoli would be open to getting Maguire in exchange as a sweetener

criticalanalysis

Shaw playing as a cover at LCB really weakens are Left wing as we dont have a quality LB as cover. Buying another LB also makes no sense.

Erik himself said he prefers a Left footed player for LCB so if we dont play Shaw there we need a Left footed CB to cover Martinez.

Lindelof has been good at RCB and Varane is anyways first choice there. We can look to get a top quality RCB in a year or 2 to replace Varane all together
Yes that make senses if you think either of Varane and Martinez being injured/available are the same odds but based on history AND age, we both know that's not the case. You're essentially buying for a position that we have cover for the least likely possibility.

Varane to Lindelof is a huge drop in terms of aerial dominance, 1 on 1 defending, leadership and overall quality. You're asking for trouble there and betting on the wrong horse.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

I know swap deals don’t happen often, but wonder if Napoli would be open to getting Maguire in exchange as a sweetener
He couldn't survive a vacation in Mykonos. What makes you believe he'll survive a full season in Naples?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Manchester United are interested Napoli defender Kim Min-jae but are yet to agree a deal, talkSPORT understands.

"Naples-based outlet Il Mattino are reporting that the 26-year-old has agreed to join the Red Devils with only final details left to be sorted."

"The report adds that Napoli have already already started the search for a centre-back to replace Kim."

"But talkSPORT understands that negotiations haven’t reached that stage yet but Man United are interested in signing the player."

https://talksport.com/football/1424978/man-utd-kim-min-jae-napoli-transfer-news/

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
No link obviously but I think he would be great for someone like WHU or even Newcastle, both should be able to pay 20-30m.. Then the Korean could cost us only 20m basically. The thing is 80m left from the budget would be hard to get any decent striker and CM of the quality desired..

skc_18

hmm, but i think that would leave us stretched at times unless maybe you are factoring in Bailly :eek: and maybe Mengi coming good. I love Varane but to have him with just Kim and Martinez is basically like having 2.5 players to cover CB. I'd also prefer to keep Shaw as the main LB for now but maybe as he gets a bit older and Malacia continues and upward trajectory he could step in full time at CB, but thats at least a season away i think. Again i could understand the club accepting a good fee for Victor but IMHO he would need replacing if he goes.
Nope, I did not consider Bailly or Mengi. I assumed trio of Martinez, Varane and Kim will play average of 40 games each. And Shaw can play few games as CB if needed. So, selling Maguire and Lindelof would make sense to free up wages and also give us some funds to buy a decent full-back and add to the available summer transfer money.
Also, I dont mind Maguire as 4th CB but not Lindelof. We all know his limitations, but he gave his all for the club and deserves better.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Manchester United are interested Napoli defender Kim Min-jae but are yet to agree a deal, talkSPORT understands.

"Naples-based outlet Il Mattino are reporting that the 26-year-old has agreed to join the Red Devils with only final details left to be sorted."

"The report adds that Napoli have already already started the search for a centre-back to replace Kim."

"But talkSPORT understands that negotiations haven’t reached that stage yet but Man United are interested in signing the player."

https://talksport.com/football/1424978/man-utd-kim-min-jae-napoli-transfer-news/
With TalkSport’s recent track record I half expect him to play against Bournemouth.

Bwuk

If the 40m fee is true, we’ll probably make that back by selling Maguire, and the savings we’d make on Jones/Maguire/Tuanzebe wages.

gajender

Quite pumped about this. I feel we desperately need a striker, but his release clause is very affordable and hes in some epic form
I keep seeing people mentioning this but according to reports it exists for specific period early in the window and considering United's cash flow problems I just don't see United paying that and compromising their ability to be flexible in the Market in terms of paying transfer fees for somebody Like Kane where Levy might insist on full fee immediately as well to get the deal done.

Unless United are sold Before transfer window opens I don't see this deal happening at all .

bosskeano

this move just makes too much sense for us not to do the business....you know his work rate will be immense, he won't cause any issues and coming from an Italian club his defending will be very good

OleGunnar20

Looks really good. Get shot of the dross and setup with:

Licha / Varane / Kim / Lindelof / Shaw.

That's a fantastic looking collection of centre backs.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Release clause is only effective early in the window? Doesn’t suit our style of working.

gajender

Release clause is only effective early in the window? Doesn’t suit our style of working.
We have cash flow issues 40 m onetime payment early in the window would exacerbate it further and seriously impact our flexibility in payment structures for other transfer targets .

Fact of the matter is there are only few Clubs who would be able to afford it , it's actually more than most clubs actual yearly new commitments for transfers incomings .

I am willing to Wager he won't move for release clause early in the window . If he moves it would be a normal transfer with possibly higher fee.

Last edited:

TheRedHearted

No link obviously but I think he would be great for someone like WHU or even Newcastle, both should be able to pay 20-30m.. Then the Korean could cost us only 20m basically. The thing is 80m left from the budget would be hard to get any decent striker and CM of the quality desired..
Our proposed budget are always nonsense. And ten Hag has seen enough, hoping he’s ruthless with his outgoings

gajender

Yeah I'm sure we will be agile enough to activate the release clause at the right time. Plenty of experience with that :wenger: :D
We won't and neither should we , with are existing cash flow issues if we want him then most probably we will negotiate with Napoli even with slightly higher fee with better payment structure .

And chances are no other club would activate his release clause either , 40 m one time payment would leave little or no money for other transfers business for most clubs barring select few and even those might not prefer it.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Any potential deal with Kim Min-Jae would collapse immediately the moment we suggest to offer Maguire.

sleepehead

Any potential deal with Kim Min-Jae would collapse immediately the moment we suggest to offer Maguire.
Honestly I think Maguire would do well in Italy, his lack of speed wouldn't be as apparent there. And remember he wants to play LCB so there would be teams that would be interested in him just because he has good experience in that role. We gave shit to Smalling not being good enough here but he's made it in Italy. Maguire needs a reset, as long as he's here, the extreme scrutiny will never stop.

In any case I think KMJ would be a good choice for the team as he's got CL experience and he can easily push both Martinez and Varane and still give both rest. We have no idea how Martinez will be when he gets back.

Reactions: roonster09

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Honestly I think Maguire would do well in Italy, his lack of speed wouldn't be as apparent there. And remember he wants to play LCB so there would be teams that would be interested in him just because he has good experience in that role. We gave shit to Smalling not being good enough here but he's made it in Italy. Maguire needs a reset, as long as he's here, the extreme scrutiny will never stop.

In any case I think KMJ would be a good choice for the team as he's got CL experience and he can easily push both Martinez and Varane and still give both rest. We have no idea how Martinez will be when he gets back.
His lack of speed wasn't issue in PL either, he did well at Hull, Leicester and even at ManUtd in the first couple of seasons. His confidence levels is at rock bottom and he is playing much worse than what he is capable of.

He should leave PL, like how other PL players who left PL and experienced other leagues.

Pintu

His lack of speed wasn't issue in PL either, he did well at Hull, Leicester and even at ManUtd in the first couple of seasons. His confidence levels is at rock bottom and he is playing much worse than what he is capable of.
Is he really capable of playing well (to his Leicester/England level) in a high line setup like the one Napoli uses? Because that’s the only relevant question here…. I am not convinced he‘d be an improvement on Jesus (their current third CB option/ earning a portion of Maguire’s salary).

He should accept to reduce his wages and go to a midtable club (PL or abroad) that plays lower block.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Is he really capable of playing well (to his Leicester/England level) in a high line setup like the one Napoli uses? Because that’s the only relevant question here…. I am not convinced he‘d be an improvement on Jesus (their current third CB option/ earning a portion of Maguire’s salary).

He should accept to reduce his wages and go to a midtable club (PL or abroad) that plays lower block.
I didn't say he should go to Napoli, there are so many clubs he can play for.

Also the wages part, yes he should take a pay cut and also most of the wages reported are just bs. So clubs dealing will take care of that. There are so many bonuses involved that people don't even care about, they just take highest reported wages.

SAF is the GOAT

If it was Alex Crook - I would take this report more seriously but they just quoted a shite Italian outlet

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

Or even to a club that plays 2 Dm like West Ham. He’ll have plenty of cover then. His best option would be to join a team who plays 3 at the back. He’s use to that and does quite well for England with that set up.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If it was Alex Crook - I would take this report more seriously but they just quoted a shite Italian outlet
I wouldn't have shared it if it was from Alex Crook, but rather it's from their own sources according to the article. And they they do mention the Italian source but they disagree about the negotiations being advanced.

I don't believe we'll be able to sign him until the ownership situation is resolved, assuming we're interested.

pascell

I wouldn't have shared it if it was from Alex Crook, but rather it's from their own sources according to the article. And they they do mention the Italian source but they disagree about the negotiations being advanced.

I don't believe we'll be able to sign him until the ownership situation is resolved, assuming we're interested.
Why can we not sign him until the takeover is complete?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Would love for him to join. So he can throw Midgets like Salah around like a paper plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.