Kim Min-jae | signed for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

daba

I like the look of Kim but given the rebuilding needed elsewhere in the squad, I’d be all over Skriniar on a free transfer which could save us a €50m fee (minus likely higher wages and a sign-on fee).

Tricky part with either will be convincing them of their role given they’ll be competing with Varane. Whereas someone like Liverpool or Chelsea seem like clearer routes to a starting place.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Striker, Deep playmaker, GK, CB, and RB

Centre back is definetly in the top 5 list that I think we need a reinforcement given that I would like us to move on from Lindelof and Maguire and sign a new centre back to cover Varane's injury. 45m pounds release clause ain't bad at all for good centre back if he's good centre back, we could sell Maguire for 25m-30m and who knows how much Lindelof would be (20m-25m may be).

Pretty much I can see us spending on 150m-160m striker + midfield, Sommer for free, 45m CB, and 20m right back.

May I ask which club(s) you think will pay 30m for a 30 year old Maguire AND take on his 200k PW contract?
Leicester, West Ham and at an outside possibilty Spurs, plus by the end of the season he has two years left on his United contract, if someone offers him £150,000 a week for 4 years he would be wise to take it. Maguire probably fancies playing for England in the European championship in 18 months and at a push as a 33 yr old centre half at the World Cup in the USA. The longer he sits on the bench at United the more his value decreases and even Southgate may lose faith in him. He needs to move for himself as much as United need to move him on.

Borussia Teeth

Leicester, West Ham and at an outside possibilty Spurs, plus by the end of the season he has two years left on his United contract, if someone offers him £150,000 a week for 4 years he would be wise to take it. Maguire probably fancies playing for England in the European championship in 18 months and at a push as a 33 yr old centre half at the World Cup in the USA. The longer he sits on the bench at United the more his value decreases and even Southgate may lose faith in him. He needs to move for himself as much as United need to move him on.
Thanks for the reply. I think you're being quite optimistic expecting any of those clubs to pay the fee and wages at his age (I know 30 isn't ancient). I do hope you're right though.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I like South Korean players that play abroad. They seem to have mental toughness needed to succeed.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Thanks for the reply. I think you're being quite optimistic expecting any of those clubs to pay the fee and wages at his age (I know 30 isn't ancient). I do hope you're right though.
No one will pay his wages even if he cost 15m-20m anyway. Maguire will have 2 options, enjoying his current wages and losing his England starting XI spot or gets a wages reduced to suit the buyers' demands but keeping his England starting XI spot. The guy isn't getting enough minutes right now and if it keeps up like this to end of 2023 or 2024, he will lose spot for the Euro 2024.

Dannn411

One of the best CBs on the planet right now and my dream CB signing. Will get infinitely more attention from the big boys if/when Napoli win the title. Can't believe he hasn't been on Chelsea's radar up to this point.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
May I ask which club(s) you think will pay 30m for a 30 year old Maguire AND take on his 200k PW contract?
The salary is irrelevant as the player might take a pay cut to leave the situation he is in. It must be tough for the world most expensive CB to be considered as a 4th choice CB. Regarding the fee well it depends. The fee can be broken in 10m per year instalments which isn't bad for a 30 year old CB who doesn't rely on pace in the first place. The EPL has strict homegrown rules that needs to be fulfilled.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I like the look of Kim but given the rebuilding needed elsewhere in the squad, I’d be all over Skriniar on a free transfer which could save us a €50m fee (minus likely higher wages and a sign-on fee).

Tricky part with either will be convincing them of their role given they’ll be competing with Varane. Whereas someone like Liverpool or Chelsea seem like clearer routes to a starting place.
I like the sound of this. Have no idea if he is good enough though or not.

CM

I do agree with this, said it in another thread myself. Realistically with Varane's injury problems there should be enough minutes to go around across all competitions.

Real Madrid did this well when they signed Alaba and Rudiger. It doesn't look like we're in a position to spend big this summer before a takeover either, so we'll likely need to be smart in how we recruit. Obviously not every player we sign will be from the bargain bucket, but you could make the same case for players like Yann Sommer and Youssoufa Moukoko in other positions.

Borussia Teeth

No one will pay his wages even if he cost 15m-20m anyway. Maguire will have 2 options, enjoying his current wages and losing his England starting XI spot or gets a wages reduced to suit the buyers' demands but keeping his England starting XI spot. The guy isn't getting enough minutes right now and if it keeps up like this to end of 2023 or 2024, he will lose spot for the Euro 2024.
I agree with all of this but there seem to be many that think we can flog him and the likes of awb, vdb etc for good fees despite their wages.

Borussia Teeth

Newcastle United maybe?
Newcastle have the best statistical defense in the league. I doubt they would bring an expensive 30 year old on more than double their current cbs, who are doing very well (even if they can afford it).

Erik the Red

I do agree with this, said it in another thread myself. Realistically with Varane's injury problems there should be enough minutes to go around across all competitions.

Real Madrid did this well when they signed Alaba and Rudiger. It doesn't look like we're in a position to spend big this summer before a takeover either, so we'll likely need to be smart in how we recruit. Obviously not every player we sign will be from the bargain bucket, but you could make the same case for players like Yann Sommer and Youssoufa Moukoko in other positions.
You could make a case for a lot of free signings, and Skriniar, Ndicka, Sommer, Laimer & Moukoko are all good quality squad players, and I wouldn't mind any of them joining to replace some of the deadwood. They could have a similar impact to Eriksen, and along with promoting some of our youngsters like Garnacho, would allow us to save our transfer fees to go for the players we really want. Let's say you signed all of those players, and let go / shipped out about 8 other players, then you could spend the cash on the first choice keeper, right back and striker that we want, for a net cost of around £100m.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I agree with all of this but there seem to be many that think we can flog him and the likes of awb, vdb etc for good fees despite their wages.
I don’t think it matters anyway how much fees we can flog them. We can sell two or three of them to get Kim.

Rolaholic

He has a 45M release clause this summer so it won't be another Koulibaly situation...

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

He has a 45M release clause this summer so it won't be another Koulibaly situation...
Would be madness if we don't even try to sign with that price. Just sell Maguire and Lindelof that we barely have any use.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Would he make a good partner for Martinez? If so 45 million is worth it.

ti vu

How fast is he compared to Varane?
Varane used to be rapid. At one time, he could win against a young Aubameyang in a foot race to the ball. Right now, not sure.

I don't watch all Napoli games, so I may miss, but from what I see he's fast, but not on the same speed bracket, because I don't see him as fast as Koulibaly. He's lighter on the feet (more mobile, agile) in comparison to Koulibaly though.

If the release clause, he's a good option to get. Can play either RCB, LCB. Decent weak foot. Physical. Comfortable with playing high line. At good age. Korean. However, I am skeptical about him being ranked as top CB currently, because Napoli is so dominant, their defense is not tested as much. There may be some hidden learning curve in place.

aeh1991

However, I am skeptical about him being ranked as top CB currently, because Napoli is so dominant, their defense is not tested as much. There may be some hidden learning curve in place.
He's part of the reason they are this dominant. The other defenders are also solid, but he is the reason they don't concede that much. He's from a statistical perspective a top CB, very underrated due to his nationality imo. He'd make the perfect third CB, as he can play both LCB and RCB and is good enough to challenge the other two.

Also, I think he is super fast for his physique

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He'd be a great replacement for Maguire and rotation with Varane.

I have no doubt ETH and the scouts will be keeping an eye on him, especially if we're scouting Osimhen closely.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For that price i would prefer him to osimhen. We can get 2 or 3 quality players for osimhens fee.

davidmichael

In an ideal world we’d shift Lindelof, Maguire, Jones and Tuanzebe and bring in Min-Jae and Ndicka on a free, the money brought in for Lindelof and Maguire would cover Min-Jae’s release clause whilst Jones and Tuanzebe’s wages would cover Ndicka’s wages.

RC89

Would be madness if we don't even try to sign with that price. Just sell Maguire and Lindelof that we barely have any use.
I think Lindelof has proven this season he can be a decent squad player.

Maguire, Tuanzebe and Bailly should collectively fetch 45m. And we only require one to replace them all.

footballbite

Right-footed like Maguire
KMJ is right-footed, but he's actually been playing as the left-sided of the two CBs.

Not sure how difficult or not it'd be for him to shuffle across one, but it's something to consider.

Also, is it really wise to spend £45mil on a 26 year-old CB on likely big wages to just be backup to Varane?! Varane is still 29 himself, so KMJ will be wasting his peak on the bench. A younger CB would seem more sensible.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
KMJ is right-footed, but he's actually been playing as the left-sided of the two CBs.

Not sure how difficult or not it'd be for him to shuffle across one, but it's something to consider.

Also, is it really wise to spend £45mil on a 26 year-old CB on likely big wages to just be backup to Varane?! Varane is still 29 himself, so KMJ will be wasting his peak on the bench. A younger CB would seem more sensible.
Nobody trusts Varane's fitness. As he ages, it has a likelihood of worsening also.

The question to ask here is how many games have others had because Varane was injured, and then extrapolate on that for the future. I think an upcoming CB and his agent would look at that factor and fancy their chances of plentiful gametime, personally. And even in the meantime, getting enough games in to be a successor outright a couple of years down the line.

Lee565

If the clause is legit he will definitely be snapped by someone, not only is he a great defender with rapid speed but helps with appealing further within the Asian market, he is a 80 - 100 million defender in normal circumstances in present market

Status
Not open for further replies.