Current club: SSC Napoli

Contract expires: Jun 30, 2025
Contract option: both parties 2 years
Outfitter: Nike​

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Looks impressive.

Never really watched him but he looks very clumsy from that video to me. I counted 4 potential penalties that should have been given against him in the first 4 minutes.

Last thing we want to do is get rid of our Transit and replace him with another.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Not sure what we'd need him for. Martinez and Varane are great first choice options, Lindelöf is fine as a backup (and should be kept around in mind of Varane's recent injury record).

Maguire should be shown the door, but if we're getting another backup CB in, it shouldn't be to the tune of 50m.

Trequarista10

Interesting defender. Very aggressive, sometimes looks a little, not sure how to describe it, maybe uncoordinated on occasion? As in not the typical smooth looking rolls royce style centre back that gets linked to a big club. Not necessarily a bad thing, give me an effective scrapper over an ineffective, stylish defender. A few of those clips he does seem to just push the opposition over from behind though and I'm surprised he gets away with that, and suspect he wouldn't get away with it here.

avgp_1

He will go for big money I thought having settled seemlessly in Italy, but yeah that clause looks interesting.

Seen some very good all round defensive performances from him this season. Can be aggressive to win the ball higher up but also reads the game very well to stay back and pick up passes and clear up dangers inside his box.

Physically gifted, don't think I have seen him lose many aerial duels. Passing is decent-ish, nothing special from what I have seen so far

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Not at the top of the list what we need. A striker, a RB and another MF are more pressing.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He’s exempted from the full 2 years of National service as well so no issues for him needing to go off for national service when he turns 30.

aeh1991

"clumsy", "nothing special", "not that impressed" are the same things Napoli fans have said before he shut them down from the first game on and now they think he's better than KK. He's a real physical presence on the field and it's definitely worth watching him closely. A CB can't be judged by a compilation video anyway.
Timber is talented but Kim would be the much better partner for Martinez. Actually he'd be the perfect third CB who slowly could replace Varane as a Timber-Licha partnership won't work in the PL. I agree, there's other priorities, but I wouldn't let go of a bargain opportunity. Maybe we can finance it by selling Lindelof and Maguire (although we're terrible at selling).

Reactions: Penna

poleglass red

Interesting defender. Very aggressive, sometimes looks a little, not sure how to describe it, maybe uncoordinated on occasion? As in not the typical smooth looking rolls royce style centre back that gets linked to a big club. Not necessarily a bad thing, give me an effective scrapper over an ineffective, stylish defender. A few of those clips he does seem to just push the opposition over from behind though and I'm surprised he gets away with that, and suspect he wouldn't get away with it here.
I get that impression when watching Varane when he's playing well

mu4c_20le

"clumsy", "nothing special", "not that impressed" are the same things Napoli fans have said before he shut them down from the first game on and now they think he's better than KK.
Better than Kevin Keegan?

MUFC OK

Closest thing to prime Maguire I've seen. Sign him up, pay whatever it takes. An awful, ill-conceived deal like that only comes round once a decade.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Closest thing to prime Maguire I've seen. Sign him up, pay whatever it takes. An awful, ill-conceived deal like that only comes round once a decade.
Let's not insult Kim by making a direct comparison to Maguire. Plus his back tattoo is a stuff of beauty...

Unitedlad_142

For your information:

Kim's dad was a professional judo athlete.

Kim's mum was a professional track athlete.

The lad learnt how to run and beat other kids in judo before football. That is the secret behind how this exceptional player can outrun literally anyone pace-wise physically within Europe including Giroud, Luis Diaz, T.Abraham, M. Salah and etc (they were simply pocketed, and AS Roma hasn't even got a shot on target in the entire 90 minutes!!!). With his top speed easily over 35km/h with great acceleration and being able to use his core strength against any forwards out there, he is called 'the Monster' for a reason.

Strengths: (1) Strength & Height; (2) Pace & Acceleration; (3) Aerial duals (undisputed); (4) Header; (5) Anticipation**; (6) Reaction; (7) Fast recovery runs; (8) Workrate; (9) Long range passing

Weakness: None

Napoli has never lost a single game UCL and their league games and all, since Kim Min Jae joined their squad. There is nothing else for him to prove. Keep asking him to prove but then someone else takes him. He is a complete UCL standard player.

I can easily confirm that he is by far one of the top 5 centrebacks in Europe as of today, million miles ahead of the likes of Matip and Saliba. I would love him at United and he is the only player I would say alongside Kvara at Napoli that plays just like every minute of the his highlight reels on YouTube week in week out.

I want to see him with United and beat Haaland and Nunez (we will see that anyway given Napoli's form in UCL)

Reactions: Invictus

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
For your information:

The lad learnt how to run and beat other kids in judo before football. That is the secret behind how this exceptional player can outrun literally anyone pace-wise physically within Europe including Giroud, Luis Diaz, T.Abraham, M. Salah and etc (they were simply pocketed, and AS Roma hasn't even got a shot on target in the entire 90 minutes!!!). With his top speed easily over 35km/h with great acceleration and being able to use his core strength against any forwards out there, he is called 'the Monster' for a reason.

Strengths: (1) Strength & Height; (2) Pace & Acceleration; (3) Aerial duals (undisputed); (4) Header; (5) Anticipation**; (6) Reaction; (7) Fast recovery runs; (8) Workrate; (9) Long range passing

Napoli has never lost a single game UCL and their league games and all, since Kim Min Jae joined their squad. There is nothing else for him to prove. Keep asking him to prove but then someone else takes him. He is a complete UCL standard player.

I can easily confirm that he is by far one of the top 5 centrebacks in Europe as of today, million miles ahead of the likes of Matip and Saliba. I would love him at United and he is the only player I would say alongside Kvara at Napoli that plays just like every minute of the his highlight reels on YouTube week in week out.

I want to see him with United and beat Haaland and Nunez (we will see that anyway given Napoli's form in UCL)
I'm always wary of any analysis that puts "None" under weaknesses. Every player has weaknesses. Even defenders like VVD or Varane have weaknesses.

criticalanalysis

For your information:

Checks out. I know Judo is different from Taekwondo but still..

If he's as good as you say, imagine him and Martinez together. Proactive monsters, playing on the edge and hyping each other after a duel :drool:

BerryBerryShrew

I know people are obsessed with signing this guy to as a dream partner to Martinez...but they seem to be forgetting that Martinez's current defensive partner is a better player than either of them (or at least a more proven one).

daba

Like the look of this guy. If we are able to move on Maguire and Bailly and replace them with him for the reported €50m release clause that would give us a very solid partner to both Varane and Martinez.

I know people are obsessed with signing this guy to as a dream partner to Martinez...but they seem to be forgetting that Martinez's current defensive partner is a better player than either of them (or at least a more proven one).
Completely agree Varane when playing is the best CB we have and probably top 3 in the league. But we need someone that can cover both Varane’s stature and Martinez’s aggression when either might be missing or need resting.

It’s still early days but if we keep improving under ETH and start consitently getting to latter stages of tournaments, we need a top class and reliable 3rd CB. Think it’s fair to say Maguire, Lindelof or Bailey aren’t that.

Reactions: Invictus

BerryBerryShrew

Like the look of this guy. If we are able to move on Maguire and Bailly and replace them with him for the reported €50m release clause that would give us a very solid partner to both Varane and Martinez.

Completely agree Varane when playing is the best CB we have and probably top 3 in the league. But we need someone that can cover both Varane’s stature and Martinez’s aggression when either might be missing or need resting.

It’s still early days but if we keep improving under ETH and start consitently getting to latter stages of tournaments, we need a top class and reliable 3rd CB. Think it’s fair to say Maguire, Lindelof or Bailey aren’t that.
Oh yeah, I completely agree that if we can bin off Maguire and replace him with a better player in a cash neutral deal then it would be fantastic.

I just think it's weird that some people seem to think that Kim would be taking the place of Varane when Varane and Martinez look like the perfect defensive partnership.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Evan Ndicka

Basically we need our own Konate: young, athetic, technicaly CB that can deputize under Varane and eventually replace in a few years. I think Ndicka is the guy, but purchasing anyone similar would be a masterstroke as opposed to chasing a more veteran CB.

avgp_1

Evan Ndicka

Basically we need our own Konate: young, athetic, technicaly CB that can deputize under Varane and eventually replace in a few years. I think Ndicka is the guy, but purchasing anyone similar would be a masterstroke as opposed to chasing a more veteran CB.
The thing with Ndicka is he is another left footed LCB and would be more of a backup for Martinez rather than Varane in a back 4.

Valencia Shin Crosses

The thing with Ndicka is he is another left footed LCB and would be more of a backup for Martinez rather than Varane in a back 4.
He's played on both sides and is fine with his weaker foot as well. He could easily backup up both as 3rd choice. But it's more that he's an athletic monster and a dynamite defender that can offer an aerial presence. Cheap as well, since his contract runs out soon.

Yes please

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
And hes a sicknote

avgp_1

He's played on both sides and is fine with his weaker foot as well. He could easily backup up both as 3rd choice. But it's more that he's an athletic monster and a dynamite defender that can offer an aerial presence. Cheap as well, since his contract runs out soon.

Yes please
Interesting. I think as a backup he is very good. Just never been comfortable seeing two left footed CBs together in a back 4. Are there many instances?

croadyman

Interesting. I think as a backup he is very good. Just never been comfortable seeing two left footed CBs together in a back 4. Are there many instances?
Yeah need a right footer and left footer for balance as seen by Varane & Martinez

ysi1919

Korea National team supporter here.
Kim is the best CB talent we had since 2002.
He is right footed CB who can both LCB and RCB. He plays LCB for Napoli while plays RCB in Korea national.

On attacking, he is capable of playing from the back on both short passes and long balls. He also like to dribble into midfield when there are space.
On defense, he is very strong in the air and also fast. He definitely has a good football brain and plays smart.

His weakness is that sometimes he is too aggressive on interception and may get out of position but he is able to recover quick thanks to his speed.
He is also a foreigner in Europe so he may struggle commanding the defense but he is pretty decent at it in Korea national team.

FYI he does not have to serve the Korean Military as he got a waiver by winning a gold medal in Asian Cup.
Overall, he is defensively solid while having good build with speed. He is a "modern" CB that top football managers would love to work with but unfortunately asian CB in Europe is very rare and many see him as a gamble.

Reactions: SilentWitness

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
So he's a bigger, stronger, faster version of Martinez? Count me in.

Status
Not open for further replies.