King Van Gaal's Orange Army || 19 games unbeaten

dinostar77

Good read, sacked by utd too early. Think we could have eventually won the league with him. The summer he was sacked we were lining up deals for sadio mane, christen ericcson and i cant remember who else. Would have changed the team dynamics alot for the following season.

Jam

Good read, sacked by utd too early. Think we could have eventually won the league with him. The summer he was sacked we were lining up deals for sadio mane, christen ericcson and i cant remember who else. Would have changed the team dynamics alot for the following season.
Will always be a bit of a What If? scenario for me.

I liked the bloke, and think he did an excellent job at steadying the ship and stopping the Moyes nose dive.

However I didn’t see signs of progression forming - we just kind of hit a wall with his philosophy for us, and he didn’t seem keen on advancing on it. Just hoping it would eventually work. And it was absolutely painful to watch at times. 80% possession and one shot off target a game week in week out was far from ideal for fans.

I think if LvG had a modern assistant in his ear that would try to work some progressive play into our game about advancing the ball into the final third we could have had a real shot of getting back to the top.

dinostar77

Will always be a bit of a What If? scenario for me.

I liked the bloke, and think he did an excellent job at steadying the ship and stopping the Moyes nose dive.

However I didn’t see signs of progression forming - we just kind of hit a wall with his philosophy for us, and he didn’t seem keen on advancing on it. Just hoping it would eventually work. And it was absolutely painful to watch at times. 80% possession and one shot off target a game week in week out was far from ideal for fans.

I think if LvG had a modern assistant in his ear that would try to work some progressive play into our game about advancing the ball into the final third we could have had a real shot of getting back to the top.
This is where i think a young sadio mane and whoever else he was looking at for the other wing would have helped. Plus ericcsons ability to create chances would have helped enormously. Agree it was painful possesion football to watch. However he needed more time.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Noppert will most likely start on goal. Crazy fecking Vangle :lol:

Ah well, I'm sure we'll see how right he was when he plays for Real Madrid in 4 years.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Expected line up:

Janssen Bergwijn
Gakpo
FDJ Berghuis/Koopmeiners
Blind Aké VVD Timber Dumfries
Noppert​

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Expected line up:

Janssen Bergwijn
Gakpo
FDJ Berghuis/Koopmeiners
Noppert​
I think it's hilarious that he starts Noppert, who will make his debut at a world cup, but feck it, I hope he does well, I like Noppert, he's the quintessential Dutch farmer.

I would play Bergwijn with Gakpo up front though and Berghuis at Gakpo's spot and Koopmeiners next to De Jong.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Expected line up:

Janssen Bergwijn
Gakpo
FDJ Berghuis/Koopmeiners
Noppert​
Has to be Koopmeiners for me. Without him think defensively that midfield is too weak but also his delivery into the box or for forwards is superb.

BorisManUtd

Think Netherlands will actually be one of the times I'll be cheering for, mostly for van Gaal. He is hilarious and failure at United was long time ago so don't really care that much these days. Plus I think he could do well with national team again like in 2014, as I believe he's still capable of doing well in a cup competition. United job mostly showed his struggle league wise.

LouieVanGallsRedArmeh

Very enigmatic, yet somehow highly likeable dude with lots of character. The best manager post Fergie era, without a shadow of a doubt, I wish netherlands do well on Quatar WC 22 under him, at least quarter or semifinal :) For me netherlands despite not having any attacking world talent in squad, I think they are the black horse of the tournament.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Where are my fellow patriots buying their orange crap? I was looking for orange tompouce earlier today in the Lidl. They have 0 orange items, presumably a boycott. Does AH/Jumbo/Aldi/Hoogvliet have them? @KirkDuyt @BenitoSTARR @BrilliantOrange @Terranova
My wife works for Jumbo, we still have an endless supply of "juichcapes" and some other random crap they have now.

Albert Heijn has plenty as well.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
Where are my fellow patriots buying their orange crap? I was looking for orange tompouce earlier today in the Lidl. They have 0 orange items, presumably a boycott. Does AH/Jumbo/Aldi/Hoogvliet have them? @KirkDuyt @BenitoSTARR @BrilliantOrange @Terranova
Isn't the oranje tompouce more of a Koningsdag thing? I did notice some oranje kruidnoten though, maybe because of the season they're trying Sinterklaas in the mix (and possibly Christmas) instead of the regular football fests. And I think they're still checking out whether it's profitable to be pro-WC or not this time.

whitbyviking

I organised a sweepstake at work for the WC. Template was from Sporting Life. They had the Dutch as second favourites with a probability of 11.3% or something. I just cannot see how. They just don’t seem anywhere near that level right now.

Irwin99

Best of luck to them. I like LVG a lot as a person even though it didn't work out here and those centre back options are very strong. If the defence has a good tournament I can see them shutting out a few attacking sides.

Chief123

We were right to sack him. Our football was horrific in under him. I was regularly falling asleep during games. The philosophy was terrible. We would never have won the league with him.

432JuanMata

We were right to sack him. Our football was horrific in under him. I was regularly falling asleep during games. The philosophy was terrible. We would never have won the league with him.
The biggest problem was bringing him in to set up a system and instead of hiring an upgrade that plays the same way we brought in Jose who tore it down and resulted in us changing everything.

NoPace

We didn't win the league, though. I don't think Moyes or Van Gaal deserved to not be fired, but I do think keeping either for an extra year or two and waiting for the right manager to come along would have seen us have a better decade all in all because Moyes can build a solid defence and has tended to do well with transfers and Van Gaal would have had us playing football instead of what we played under Mourinho and Ole.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
AD (Dutch paper) says De Ligt is starting over Timber.

AD are usually wrong, but it would make sense, seeing how shite Timber has been lately.

dinostar77

AD (Dutch paper) says De Ligt is starting over Timber.

AD are usually wrong, but it would make sense, seeing how shite Timber has been lately.
Is timber not the same level talent as martinez? Curious why utd wanted originally timber first. Martinez has been sensational for us.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Is timber not the same level talent as martinez? Curious why utd wanted originally timber first. Martinez has been sensational for us.
Timber is a bigger talent if you ask me. He's alot younger though and should develop a bit more before moving. He's been rubbish for a month now. Though Ajax has been abysmal in general lately. It's glorious.

Moyes can build a solid defence and has tended to do well with transfers
I might remember wrong, but wasn't our transfer policy a complete utter fecking mess during that time, even by our low standards? Overpaying for Fellaini for no reason whatsoever, the Baines situation, etc.

I guess a lot of that mess was down to Woodward proving himself completely inept at his job, so I don't actually know how much blame Moyes should get for that.

I'm not convinced Moyes would have ever built a great squad for Manchester United like he did with Everton and West Ham, but maybe you're right in that we would at least have had a more solid and direct team which could be built on.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
'Timber op de bank, De Ligt in de basis'
Volgens De Telegraaf en het AD staat Matthijs de Ligt tegen Senegal in de basis. *** zou dan ten koste gaan van Jurriën Timber, die bij Ajax een mindere periode beleefde.
De Ligt starting RCB and Timber on the bench according to these sources.

Isn't the oranje tompouce more of a Koningsdag thing?
Don't ever get between a woman and her desire for sweets.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I really don't think we were in for a right footed CB and Martinez was our 2nd choice. Sometimes the reporting is off.