King Van Gaal's Orange Army || 19 games unbeaten

diarm

Is Memphis injured?

I know a few lads who have backed him for top scorer so they'll be upset to see him not starting.

Idxomer

Surprised so many people are backing them with that forward line.

Even with Memphis there, it's still nothing special and lacks the individual qualities needed in a team managed by Van Gaal.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Only Louis could come up with this 5-1-4 formation, and then let a goalkeeper who's played 50 matches as a professional at the age of 28 make his debut at the first match of a World Cup :lol:

Really interested how it's going to play out though!

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Only Louis could come up with this 5-1-4 formation, and then let a goalkeeper who's played 50 matches as a professional at the age of 28 make his debut at the first match of a World Cup :lol:

Really interested how it's going to play out though!
The fecking state of this:

:lol:

At least if this doesn't work out, he's got the NBA to fall back on.

Ricardo de la Vega

Why has LVG picked such a defensive side? I''m not Dutch and don't watch that many Netherlands games but this seems a very, very defensive set up.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Why has LVG picked such a defensive side? I''m not Dutch and don't watch that many Netherlands games but this seems a very, very defensive set up.
How's it very defensive? Two forward-focused wingbacks with ball-carrying centre-backs, ahead of them two forward-focused DM/CMs (Berghuis and De Jong), and then ahead of them the three attackers (Gakpo might play in midfield but is really a forward at heart).

I mean, they might play defensively, but I don't think it's a defensive side per se.

KeanoMagicHat

They got the result but gone are the days when you’d look forward to see the Dutch play a game. It’s pragmatic to be fair, they have far better defenders than attackers. But don’t expect much magic out of them.

mu4c_20le

Excellent game management, it has to be said. Klaassen changed the game.

Got the result AND rested half their starters for Ecuador. Perfect start really

Irwin99

Louis Van Gaal's orange army off to a winning start. Sluggish performance though

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Mostly shite. Gakpo is not a midfielder and 2 minutes after he is moved to his axtual position he scores.

I'm an instant fan of Noppert. If this dude lies on his side the entire goal is covered.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
That's 16 matches now and still undefeated since Van Gaal returned as the Dutch NT coach. Some weirdos on here are convinced he's outdated and a dinosaur, but Van Gaal is still the best Dutch coach out there, by quite some margin. He played some really fancy modern 100% total pressing tactics during the qualifiers as well, and now for Qatar he's lining up a team that's not enjoyable to watch but just very, very hard to beat.

30+ game unbeaten streak as a NT coach as well, if you exclude friendlies and the penalty shoot out after the draw vs. Argentina in Brazil.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Weren't good but, as the cliché goes, some teams grow into the tournament.

Stadjer

I wonder what big club will buy Noppert when he has won the World Cup. Chelsea could use a good goalkeeper i think

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think they're going to win it. They've been great with lvg, have a good defence so they can win even on off days, and will grow with confidence. Also, I think they will have extra motivation for Van Gaal with his situation.

They really need to start Memphis though. Also Timber over de Ligt for me. More natural in the system.

bosnian_red

He's a defensive possession coach. Look at their defenders. Look at their results and performances since LvG took over. He knows how to control international football IMO.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Boring.

Not a fan of the line up, specifically Janssen, De Ligt and Gakpo as a no 10.

AndyMUFC

They were really dull today but comfortable defensively so if Depay and Gakpo start firing they've got half a chance.

Last edited:

PepG

Supports
Ajax
LVG is a legend but wtf was this utter shite today?!. And he promised that this time they will be more of an attacking side because this team has more quality than the one in 2014 haha

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
That's 16 matches now and still undefeated since Van Gaal returned as the Dutch NT coach. Some weirdos on here are convinced he's outdated and a dinosaur, but Van Gaal is still the best Dutch coach out there, by quite some margin. He played some really fancy modern 100% total pressing tactics during the qualifiers as well, and now for Qatar he's lining up a team that's not enjoyable to watch but just very, very hard to beat.

30+ game unbeaten streak as a NT coach as well, if you exclude friendlies and the penalty shoot out after the draw vs. Argentina in Brazil.
Brilliant coach and he is working with the quality he has in his team. He changed his tactic accordingly and is trying to get the best result he can.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
LVG is a legend but wtf was this utter shite today?!. And he promised that this time they will be more of an attacking side because this team has more quality than the one in 2014 haha
First match vs the best team of Africa. We will do better soon. It wasn't pretty but okay. We had to play fecking Vincent Janssen.

BorisManUtd

Quite impressive.

Shame he could only win 66 points in a season where Leicester won the league and all rivals were shite. Would be nice to see Holland go far in the tournament though.

bosnian_red

Probably started off more pragmatic as it was the first game with a relatively young/inexperienced team against the only competitive team in their group. Also Memphis will work his way in when it matters anyway. But generally I think Timber will get in ahead of De Ligt before long. Probably Koopmeiners for Berghuis too, you can't do just a 1 man midfield.

Irwin99

Yeah i'm not really understanding people's shock at the lack of Dutch total football with the attackers in this side, who are decent but not great. Their best hope and why i fancy them to do well is to be pragmatic and be hard to beat, like they were in LVG's last spell.

...and that is a pretty fecking strong central defence if we go by names and the clubs they play for.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Mostly shite. Gakpo is not a midfielder and 2 minutes after he is moved to his axtual position he scores.

I'm an instant fan of Noppert. If this dude lies on his side the entire goal is covered.
Yet Gakpo is getting criticism from people tonight despite being the match winner.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yet Gakpo is getting criticism from people tonight despite being the match winner.
Well most people dont know he was out of position I suppose. He's just not a 10 if you ask me. And Berghuis, De Jong and Gakpo is a rather unbalanced midfield either way.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Well most people dont know he was out of position I suppose. He's just not a 10 if you ask me. And Berghuis, De Jong and Gakpo is a rather unbalanced midfield either way.
I think it’s testament to his ability that he still managed to impact the game personally.

Said before the match Berghuis was too offensive for the balance and it left the midfield so open. Hopefully Koopmeiners comes in soon to keep the balance.

Id prefer to see Gakpo and Depay as a front two now rather than Janssen who was probably meant to bring some physciality but didn’t manage to. If we’re he’ll bent on having that kind of forward I’d genuinely rather see Weghorst if that’s the plan as Gakpo’s set piece delivery would make him a constant threat.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
I think they're going to win it. They've been great with lvg, have a good defence so they can win even on off days, and will grow with confidence. Also, I think they will have extra motivation for Van Gaal with his situation.

They really need to start Memphis though. Also Timber over de Ligt for me. More natural in the system.
Memphis will start maybe the 3rd group game and onwards, because he's coming back from injury. Fit Memphis always starts.

LvG said before the Match he chose De Ligt today for his height against a tall Senegal side. I don't expect De Ligt to start again after this performance.

NoPace

I might remember wrong, but wasn't our transfer policy a complete utter fecking mess during that time, even by our low standards? Overpaying for Fellaini for no reason whatsoever, the Baines situation, etc.

I guess a lot of that mess was down to Woodward proving himself completely inept at his job, so I don't actually know how much blame Moyes should get for that.

I'm not convinced Moyes would have ever built a great squad for Manchester United like he did with Everton and West Ham, but maybe you're right in that we would at least have had a more solid and direct team which could be built on.
He didn't seem to be ready for the first window and panic bought Fellaini, yeah. But I think in time he'd have done a decent job sorting out the recommendations from scouts here.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
He didn't seem to be ready for the first window and panic bought Fellaini, yeah. But I think in time he'd have done a decent job sorting out the recommendations from scouts here.
I remember that sad window. Believe it's been said countless times in the forum that SAF had Alcantara practically set for summer transfer. There was also interest in Strootman who I think would have been sublime for United (probably still gets crocked at some point, think some players it's just their "destiny"). I remember them fecking up on securing Herrera late in the window to panic buying Fellaini solely on the fact Moyes had managed him at Everton.

What could have been a great window went to shit with Moyes dilly-dallying around not understanding how big the club was and how inept Woodward would be from a financial career to now trying to be a de facto DOF type. That was the proper time to move on with the times and hire a proper DOF to help bed Moyes in, think it was said he worked with a DOF at Everton but I may be incorrect, and keep Woody in the finance/business department. The Glazers just had no clue how the sport operates and probably told Woody, "just go do it yourself, big guy."

NoPace

I remember that sad window. Believe it's been said countless times in the forum that SAF had Alcantara practically set for summer transfer. There was also interest in Strootman who I think would have been sublime for United (probably still gets crocked at some point, think some players it's just their "destiny"). I remember them fecking up on securing Herrera late in the window to panic buying Fellaini solely on the fact Moyes had managed him at Everton.

What could have been a great window went to shit with Moyes dilly-dallying around not understanding how big the club was and how inept Woodward would be from a financial career to now trying to be a de facto DOF type. That was the proper time to move on with the times and hire a proper DOF to help bed Moyes in, think it was said he worked with a DOF at Everton but I may be incorrect, and keep Woody in the finance/business department. The Glazers just had no clue how the sport operates and probably told Woody, "just go do it yourself, big guy."
Yeah. I think it's fair to criticize Moyes. He should have come in and immediately bought a few players he had wanted at Everton who turned them down or whose value had soared too high and a prem player or 2 he rated but couldn't get at Everton.

We had okay wingers and forwards but were poor in CM and the defence was rapidly aging. Shaw was the right buy even if he was too injured and unfocused at his age, but Trippier coming off a PFA team of the season in the Champo for an un-promoted Burnley, a big signing at CB and Thiago might have saved Moyes' job.

Would have lost it in time of course as his too safe tactics aren't good for accumulating points to win the league, but I always think of Moyes, Rangnick and Van Gaal as managers who could have set good foundations for us, whereas Mourinho and Ole were just never going to do that.

NoPace

What's up the lack of top tier strikers in the Dutch youth football factory these days?
Dunno. Brobbey looks a handful with his strength, but it's odd. I played Sunday league football there for 6 months and we trained with some "4th" and "5th" division teams at times with washouts from decent academies in the 2nd and 3rd divisions and the odd Eredivise academy washout (it's a pyramid so to be clear there's 2 "4th" tier leagues and 4 "5th" tier teams, I wasn't like a genuinely good footballer just competent technically and poor athletically) and the best finishers were incredible. Just hitting the corner everytime, far better than the U.S and Canadian college players I've played against who are probably 3rd or 4th division level players in a far worse footballing country here.

It felt obvious how a Van Nistelrooy came from there. Instead they have tons of good CBs even though everyone seemed to hate defending. The athleticism overall wasn't that impressive but the best finishers on each team were ruthless.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I think it’s testament to his ability that he still managed to impact the game personally.

Said before the match Berghuis was too offensive for the balance and it left the midfield so open. Hopefully Koopmeiners comes in soon to keep the balance.

Id prefer to see Gakpo and Depay as a front two now rather than Janssen who was probably meant to bring some physciality but didn’t manage to. If we’re he’ll bent on having that kind of forward I’d genuinely rather see Weghorst if that’s the plan as Gakpo’s set piece delivery would make him a constant threat.
Yeah, I agree completely. Then, if need be, sub in Luuk de Jong after 70 minutes to force the issue.

I have no idea why we selected both Luuk and Weghorst personally. I would've always gone for Danjuma over 1 of these.