Klopp Confirmed Liverpool Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackwidow

I thought he was going to be the next Bayern manager tbh. Pep to City, Klopp to Bayern is how I imagined it. If anyone were to join Liverpool I'd imagine it would have been Carlo.
What does Bayern want with Klopp? Pressing is the only playmaker...

Klopp is a good coach for an underdog - and he knows all of the rhetoric he needs for that - not for one of the really big teams...

Liverpool probably would be a good match.

Boycott

What would the reaction be like if he took the job and the first thing he does is buy Kagawa? :mad:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't give a shit about hating Klopp or not. I do give a shit about him making them a competent side. Hope they stick with Breandan

Nanook

He won't revolutionize Liverpool, I don't think he will get them into Champions League simply because the gulf in quality is huge between them and top 4 and the disparity in money resources is huge as well. He is however a very likeable manager who could probably do very well at a club like United or somewhere abroad where I could actually keep liking him. No need to go to Livepool, Jurgen.
The gap in resources between Liverpool and Arsenal isn't that large, he had in worse in the Bundesliga with Bayern and still managed to win the league.

itso 7

How does our current set up or players suit Klopp's brand of football? Have you not seen his Dortmund side?
I did and the only players we have on our books that wouldn't suit a high pressing counter attacking game are Carrick and Mata (and even he excelled in a counter attacking team at Chelsea). Just because our players have adjusted well to the possession it doesn't mean that they can't play well in a different style because save for Blind who else can we say was schooled in the Ajax philosophy? Besides what I meant was not specifically looking at the style of football but the nature of the man when put into the context of this club - he is loyal, passionate about the game and the style he plays would resonate more with the base. He is more Fergie than the latter day Fergie was and could have been a hit here.

NK86

I did and the only players we have on our books that wouldn't suit a high pressing counter attacking game are Carrick and Mata (and even he excelled in a counter attacking team at Chelsea). Just because our players have adjusted well to the possession it doesn't mean that they can't play well in a different style because save for Blind who else can we say was schooled in the Ajax philosophy? Besides what I meant was not specifically looking at the style of football but the nature of the man when put into the context of this club - he is loyal, passionate about the game and the style he plays would resonate more with the base. He is more Fergie than the latter day Fergie was and could have been a hit here.
There is no point in changing how we play after every 2-3 years. We should be looking at continuation and for that alone Pep should get the nod ahead of Pep. Klopp would have been ideal immediately after Fergie but I think it makes very little sense to bring him in now to follow LVG.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The gap in resources between Liverpool and Arsenal isn't that large, he had in worse in the Bundesliga with Bayern and still managed to win the league.
Arsenal are much better and have much more money to spend. Bayern were a bit crap when he won the league, didn't even finish 2nd in 10-11.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Arsenal are much better and have much more money to spend. Bayern were a bit crap when he won the league, didn't even finish 2nd in 10-11.
From where do you get the impression that Arsenal have more money to spend?!?!

English media :lol:

I mean seriously. So there hasn't been any contact but somehow they know what Klopp would or wouldn't do.

I could definitely see Klopp taking the job at Liverpool, way more than a job at a plastic club like City or to a lesser extend Chelsea. They probably have a very good growth potential, the club has loads of tradition and the squad has some interesting prospects.
I doubt he knows City or Chelsea as a plastic club though, or really cares, as he knows no rivalry with them. All he sees is a huge budget to play with and a successful team, against a Liverpool side thats won nothing in years.

Sarni

They have around £300m annual revenue, Liverpool have around £220m without Champions League money. You build on that.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
It really is a poisoned chalice now. I think Klopp would be stupid to take the job. Though if by some miracle he got Liverpool winning the title he really would go down as a hero to them.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Come on now, @Sarni is spot on.

They have greater cash reserves :

They have a greater revenue stream :

Every season Arsenal qualifies for the Champions League, and Liverpool doesn't makes the former even stronger from a financial standpoint. Plus, the Emirates is almost paid for and the debt is at a healthy level, and it is arguably the best stadium in the league after Old Trafford, while Anfield needs an expansion which will further affect Liverpool's ability to spend.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I doubt he knows City or Chelsea as a plastic club though, or really cares, as he knows no rivalry with them. All he sees is a huge budget to play with and a successful team, against a Liverpool side thats won nothing in years.
Well that's what they are generally seen as in Germany, both by fans and the media (Chelsea to a lesser extend, because they have been around the top for longer now), so I don't think the notion will be lost to him. And if he was after the biggest budget he probably would've left Dortmund a lot earlier. I also can't see Klopp wanting to work with a meddling owner like Abramovich.

Nanook

They have around £300m annual revenue, Liverpool have around £220m without Champions League money. You build on that.
Liverpool's revenue was £255m in 13/14, that was without any European football. Their Standard Charter deal has been increased to £30m from £20m, larger capacity of Anfield will probably bring in an extra £20m, and then there's the new PL TV deal next year. Even if they play in the Europa League they should have a revenue of around £320-£330m. City, Chelsea and Arsenal's should be about £400m. They're not that far behind to be honest.

Last edited:

mr.suave

It's not an easy job at all, but Klopp strikes me as the type of guy who would relish the challenge. Would be properly gutted if he ends up there, though.

Sarni

Arsenal's ground is twice the size of Anfield and I think they charge more per game as well. Assuming a ticket costs £70 on average and Arsenal have around 26 home games in a season that means additional £45m a year. It could probably be even more than that.

itso 7

There is no point in changing how we play after every 2-3 years. We should be looking at continuation and for that alone Pep should get the nod ahead of Pep. Klopp would have been ideal immediately after Fergie but I think it makes very little sense to bring him in now to follow LVG.
Fair enough but I don't think adjusting from a system which comes unnaturally to players to one where they would have more creative freedom is particularly hard plus it's contingent on how LVG's Manchester United career ends, if he is highly successful then Pep would make sense but if he is run out of town I don't think anyone influential will be touting continuity. This transformation to a sterile possession style has not gone down well with the base and I wouldn't be shocked if people inside the club (like Giggs, Fergie, ex-players and fans) have accepted the changes LvG has brought more out of tolerance and the respect due to the manager of the day than actual belief in what he is doing. Anyway it's a moot point because Klopp isn't waiting around for however long our marriage with LvG lasts because it's not reasonable and we do not have a strong connection with him as things stand so this one is not happening either way. The only way this happens is if LvG fecks up monumentally, this season.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal's ground is twice the size of Anfield and I think they charge more per game as well. Assuming a ticket costs £70 on average and Arsenal have around 26 home games in a season that means additional £45m a year. It could probably be even more than that.
I think they have 45k rising to 58.5k post the expansion. Won't be too far off our 60k.

Sarni

I think they have 45k rising to 58.5k post the expansion. Won't be too far off our 60k.
When is the expansion going to finish? Isn't it like 3-4 years away?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Fair enough but I don't think adjusting from a system which comes unnaturally to players to one where they would have more creative freedom is particularly hard plus it's contingent on how LVG's Manchester United career ends, if he is highly successful then Pep would make sense but if he is run out of town I don't anyone will be touting continuity. This transformation to a sterile possession style has not gone down well with the base and I wouldn't be shocked if people inside the club (like Giggs, Fergie, ex-players and fans) have accepted the changes LvG has brought more out of tolerance and the respect due to the manager of the day than actual belief in what he is doing. Anyway it's a moot point because Klopp isn't waiting around for however long our marriage with LvG lasts because it's not reasonable and we do not have a strong connection with him as things stand so this one is not happening either way. The only way this happens is if LvG fecks up monumentally, this season.
Even if van Gaal doesn't work out it would be reasonable to look for a manage who has a somewhat similar approach, so you don't need to start from scratch again with a full rebuild of the squad.
Klopp doesn't strike me as that guy.

Adisa

Arsenal definitely have more money than Liverpool. One must remember liverpool have an expensive refurbishment of Anfield to pay for. Arsenal's match day revenue is way ahead and the have like 200m in reserves. Even more than we have.

Adisa

If Klopp takes the job, hope they force the transfer committee on him. I don't think it will be Klopp though. The Bayern, Madrid job could be available next summer.

mav_9me

It really is a poisoned chalice now. I think Klopp would be stupid to take the job. Though if by some miracle he got Liverpool winning the title he really would go down as a hero to them.
Talk about an understatement. He would be elevated to God status.

itso 7

seas
Even if van Gaal doesn't work out it would be reasonable to look for a manage who has a somewhat similar approach, so you don't need to start from scratch again with a full rebuild of the squad.
Klopp doesn't strike me as that guy.
Starting what from scratch exactly? Which of our players do you think wouldn't make it in a different system to what we are playing right now? The reason LvG had to gut the squad like he did was not because of his football style it was an issue of quality and imbalance. Can anyone really say Valencia, Smalling, Herrera, Rooney, Young etc are LvG/Pep type of player and can these players be said to be unsuitable to any other style when they have featured, successfully, in systems far removed from this one? I am not advocating for a change of system here but I'm saying that we shouldn't set these pre -qualifications when looking for a new manager because, as what happened with Moyes, these tend to cloud the most important factor - ability.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
seas

Starting what from scratch exactly? Which of our players do you think wouldn't make it in a different system to what we are playing right now? The reason LvG had to gut the squad like he did was not because of his football style it was an issue of quality and imbalance. Can anyone really say Valencia, Smalling, Herrera, Rooney, Young etc are LvG/Pep type of player and can these players be said to be unsuitable to any other style when they have featured, successfully, in systems far removed from this one? I am not advocating for a change of system here but I'm saying that we shouldn't set these pre -qualifications when looking for a new manager because, as what happened with Moyes, these tend to cloud the most important factor - ability.

I said that without any particular player or set of managers in mind. And yes, ability is obviously the most important factor, but unless you have a standout candidate like guardiola chances are you will be able to choose from a couple of candidates who are on a similar level.

But the football Klopp has been playing for most of his tenure at Dortmund has been the polar opposite of van Gaal's and going from one extreme to the other doesn't strike me as a healthy long term approach.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
Everybody calm down. He can't turn those Liverpool players into good players.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Doesn't make any sense. Why would Klopp or Ancelotti go to a non CL club in serious decline.

Born2Lose

It would be interesting to see if a higher calibre of player would be willing to join Liverpool if Klopp was manager.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Should go to Newcastle. They've got a decent squad, with a total clown at the wheel currently. He could turn them into a counter attacking machine.

It'll probably be Liverpool though. The timing is pretty much on point, considering Rodgers is most probably on the cusp of getting binned.

Brightonian

Should go to Newcastle. They've got a decent squad, with a total clown at the wheel currently. He could turn them into a counter attacking machine.
That would be a horrible decision. He'd be in demand for some of the top jobs in football, but he should go to Newcastle and work for Mike Ashley? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.