Klopp Confirmed Liverpool Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Really don't like the idea of Klopp at Liverpool, hope it doesn't happen. I think he will turn them into a good team

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I keep seeing Klopp as Arsenals next manager.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Precisely. All this talk is nothing but wishful thinking/standard Liverpool delusion.
To be fair us Liverpool fans don't actually know what to make of this speculation at the moment. We're just in pain, awe, surprise. And probably looking to have it all end in anti-climax anyway.

Nothing to see here. I think Eddie Howe can do a decent job WHEN he becomes our next manager. :)

Ringo 07

Klopp or Thomas Tuchel are defo the first managers I'd want here when Van Gaal quits...It would be a much better appointment to Giggs as they'd be able to hand pick a lot of up coming German talent and good experience at the top....Defo would not like to see Klopp at Liverpool

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We had just won the league 14 months earlier and had a ton of money to spend.
You could argue Liverpool came close a season ago too and they could probably give him some money.

Deleted member 78215

It should be noted that Dortmund's team during Klopp's time was some levels above this current Liverpool team. Not to downplay Klopp's success - he did a brilliant job - but I don't think his appointment will magically change Liverpool's current fortunes. They'll improve, yes, but they'll still be rank outsiders for a Top 4 position.

izec

It should be noted that Dortmund's team during Klopp's time was some levels above this current Liverpool team. Not to downplay Klopp's success - he did a brilliant job - but I don't think his appointment will magically change Liverpool's current fortunes. They'll improve, yes, but they'll still be rank outsiders for a Top 4 position.
He made them all. He bought well at the beginning, and developed some players to world beaters during his time.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Can we at least leave the revisionism of his achievements until after (if) he actually comes to Liverpool? Thanks. :p

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
I think he can.
He doesn´t need to turn them into good players. They are good players. Whether that means he´d have success is a different story. He certainly started with much less talent at Mainz (duh) and Dortmund. People think of Liverpool as #5, but I doubt Klopp looks at it that way. He knows the squad has some very good players and the war chest is sufficient. He has done a lot more with a lot less.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Whether they can build or not, both Ancelotti and Klopp would get more out of their current players than this charlatan. This guy will concede goals even if he had Baresi and Maldini playing for him.

Lynty

Brilliant manager. Took Dortmund from nobodies to a team I will still remember in twenty years time.

And to be honest, if you step back and forget we are talking about Liverpool for a moment, it is a pretty enticing job:

- It's a team that obviously needs a rebuild, with a fresh style of playing football
- They have money to buy talent, especially with the new TV deals.
- Their squad isn't exactly crap, just incredibly unbalanced with no defined style and tonnes of underachieving potential.
- Huge amount of history and large fanbase
- Good resources and training facilities
- Respectable reputation in a strong league
- They are still in a position to handpick players from smaller clubs

A manager could go there, have complete control over a rebuild and turn himself into an Anfield legend within a few years. More enticing (to me at least) than jumping on the Madrid Managerial Merry-go-round or taking over a team that already dominates it's league every year (Bayern/PSG).

itso 7

In spite of what we like to tell ourselves that Liverpool team has a lot of players that a very good/great manager can salvage a lot from. This plus his knowledge of the German market would ensure that he will turn them around into a serious top four contender and title contenders in a couple of years.

What Liverpool having a manager like him means to us is a finer margin for error. Couple this with his propensity to stick around and Arsenal being Arsenal we are well and truly screwed if we feck up our next managerial appointment. If Liverpool close Klopp we should consider ourselves served.

Rednotdead

Brilliant manager. Took Dortmund from nobodies to a team I will still remember in twenty years time.

And to be honest, if you step back and forget we are talking about Liverpool for a moment, it is a pretty enticing job:

- It's a team that obviously needs a rebuild, with a fresh style of playing football
- Their squad isn't exactly crap, just incredibly unbalanced with no defined style and tonnes of underachieving potential.

A manager could go there, have complete control over a rebuild and turn himself into an Anfield legend within a few years. More enticing (to me at least) than jumping on the Madrid Managerial Merry-go-round or taking over a team that already dominates it's league every year (Bayern/PSG).
There will be no "rebuild" at Liverpool after what they've spent in the last two Summer windows. A new manager would more or less have to work with what's there, or finance any purchases by selling.

Dion

There will be no "rebuild" at Liverpool after what they've spent in the last two Summer windows. A new manager would more or less have to work with what's there, or finance any purchases by selling.
That's not really an option, they haven't bought to a plan and now they're left with an incoherent mess. SAF might be able to drag that side to a title, Mourinho to 4th pace but they're the only ones.

SirBobbysCombover

Squirming around on a dusty barber shop floor

One thing you forgot to add as a negative and what hampers each new manager and outweighs all of the above = Fan Expectation, their arrogance and complete delusion will lead to unbearable pressure on Klopp and the team once they start getting positive results.

Until they can change this mindset it will act as a ball and chain for any manager stepping into the poison chalice that is now Liverpool FC.

Also they refused to move with the times early 90s, the stories about backroom staff and sticking with the 80s formula is beggars belief. You have to say they are reaping what the tried to sew, they are at least a decade away from catching up with our mob, chelski and Citeh.

HabeasC

Would be a brilliant manager for Liverpool. He was a great manager for Dortmund and knows how to win trophies.

He'd make them competitive again without a doubt. Perhaps the best thing that would happen is they'd improve in the transfer market. They've been totally haphazard in how they've recruited over the past few years and wasted a lot of money. Klopp has had a mixed record (bought Reus but also Immobile) but is definitely a damned sight better than Rodgers and whatever committee they have at Liverpool.

Revan

Assumptionman
Should go to Newcastle. They've got a decent squad, with a total clown at the wheel currently. He could turn them into a counter attacking machine.

It'll probably be Liverpool though. The timing is pretty much on point, considering Rodgers is most probably on the cusp of getting binned.
I disagree. I think that he should go at League Two. Or probably Conference. He'll make a good team there.

After all, it makes sense for one of the top 5 or so managers in the world to go to Newcastle. With him as manager, and Ronaldo and Messi as players, Newcastle will rule.

Deleted member 78215

He made them all. He bought well at the beginning, and developed some players to world beaters during his time.
Maybe, but the players he had obviously had heaps of natural talent. Lewandowski is one of the best strikers in the world, Gundogan one of the best midfielders, Hummels one of the best defenders - there's only so much nurturing a manager can do, a lot comes down to the players. Do you think Klopp can turn Benteke/Henderson/Firmino/Lovren into world class players? I don't.

Like I say, he'll improve their football, that's almost certain, but 4th place will still be a real struggle. With Dortmund he had one decidedly better team to compete against. In England he'll be up against four clubs with much better squads.

JustFootballFan

Supports
Liverpool
Nah it´s not. Liverpool was among the 10-15 richest clubs in Europe before the upcoming TV explosion. These analysts make it sound like Liverpool or Tottenham are some broke ass bitches, when they are two of the top 15 gigs in the world based on the available resources. They are underachievers.
Not that every Klopp transfer is a slam dunk (Immobile, Ramos, Kampl, Perisic) but in seven years they barely ran an overall transfer deficit, while building a world class squad from scratch. The key players during his era:

Mkhitaryan €27M
Reus €17M
Aubameyang €13M
Ginter €10M
Sokratis €9.9M
Gundogan €5.5M
Lewandowski €5M
Hummels €4M
Barrios €4M
Subotic €3M
S. Bender €1.5M
Kagawa 250k
Schmelzer free
Weidenfeller free
Großkreutz free
Piszczek free
Goetze youth
Sahin youth
Durm youth
Hofmann youth

Now their current squad is worth €300M.

Revan

Assumptionman
This year, of course. Next year will be a different matter IMO.

When Klopp took Dortmund, they had a significantly weaker team than the current version of Liverpool. Fast forward 5 years, and they were winning their league and reaching UCL final. With around 0 net spent.

Deleted member 78215

This year, of course. Next year will be a different matter IMO.

When Klopp took Dortmund, they had a significantly weaker team than the current version of Liverpool. Fast forward 5 years, and they were winning their league and reaching UCL final. With around 0 net spent.
Good point. And like I say, he will definitely improve them - he just has to, he's levels above Rodgers as a manager. But he's coming to a league where he's up against 4 clubs with greater financial power, and already strong, established squads. If he were to achieve 4th place, he'd have done a marvellous job, but there's very little chance of any sort of title challenge.

From Liverpool's perspective, it's a no-brainer. From an opponent's perspective (i.e. Chelsea, City, Arsenal, United), I don't think there'd be much to worry about.

izec

Maybe, but the players he had obviously had heaps of natural talent. Lewandowski is one of the best strikers in the world, Gundogan one of the best midfielders, Hummels one of the best defenders - there's only so much nurturing a manager can do, a lot comes down to the players. Do you think Klopp can turn Benteke/Henderson/Firmino/Lovren into world class players? I don't.

Like I say, he'll improve their football, that's almost certain, but 4th place will still be a real struggle.
Of course natural talent must be there, but Lewandowski, Hummels and Gündogan were still relatively unknown and raw at the time Dortmund bought them. Sure they all had talent, but Kloppo made them what they are today. The list goes on and on. Subotic, Reus, Pisczek, Götze, Schmelzer, Bender, Sahin, Kuba. Sure some of them were highly rated, but it doesnt matter that they actually justified the hype to some extend. He will promote some youth palyers, turn them into good players and turn some of the crap into decent players too. Plus he will spend here and there to make the squad his squad.

Deleted member 78215

Nah it´s not. Liverpool was among the 10-15 richest clubs in Europe before the upcoming TV explosion. These analysts make it sound like Liverpool or Tottenham are some broke ass bitches, when they are two of the top 15 gigs in the world based on the available resources. They are underachievers.

Not that every Klopp transfer is a slam dunk (Immobile, Ramos, Kampl, Perisic) but in seven years they barely ran an overall transfer deficit, while building a world class squad from scratch. The key players during his era:

Mkhitaryan €27M
Reus €17M
Aubameyang €13M
Ginter €10M
Sokratis €9.9M
Gundogan €5.5M
Lewandowski €5M
Hummels €4M
Barrios €4M
Subotic €3M
S. Bender €1.5M
Kagawa 250k
Schmelzer free
Weidenfeller free
Großkreutz free
Piszczek free
Goetze youth
Sahin youth
Durm youth
Hofmann youth

How many bargains like that occur when it comes to EPL clubs, though?

Reus, for example, when he was bought by Dortmund, had just had a similar season to De Bruyne, yet KDB goes for close to 60m when City come in for him.

Deleted member 78215

Of course natural talent must be there, but Lewandowski, Hummels and Gündogan were still relatively unknown and raw at the time Dortmund bought them. Sure they all had talent, but Kloppo made them what they are today. The list goes on and on. Subotic, Reus, Pisczek, Götze, Schmelzer, Bender, Sahin, Kuba. Sure some of them were highly rated, but it doesnt matter that they actually justified the hype to some extend. He will promote some youth palyers, turn them into good players and turn some of the crap into decent players too. Plus he will spend here and there to make the squad his squad.
But unknown players won't be afforded the time to bed in like they were when Klopp first took over at Dortmund. Liverpool are looking for immediate results. It took Klopp 2 seasons before he had them in full flow and challenging for titles. I'd be willing to wager it will take a lot longer than that in the PL.

Basically, what I'm saying is that it's not going to be easy to find these hidden gems like he did, or could, at Dortmund. There'll be immediate pressure to use Liverpool's considerable financial resources, yet their resources aren't enough to compete with four other teams in the league.

They just cannot go out and buy top-class players.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Mkhitaryan €27M
Reus €17M
Aubameyang €13M
Ginter €10M
Sokratis €9.9M
Gundogan €5.5M
Lewandowski €5M
Hummels €4M
Barrios €4M
Subotic €3M
S. Bender €1.5M
Kagawa 250k
Schmelzer free
Weidenfeller free
Großkreutz free
Piszczek free
Goetze youth
Sahin youth
Durm youth
Hofmann youth

Still he's right in that LFC would not be an attractive proposition to either Klopp or Ancelotti. They don't have a prayer of making the CL for the next few years and both managers would surely be looking at moving up, not down in the management world.

JustFootballFan

Supports
Liverpool
How many bargains like that occur when it comes to EPL clubs, though?

Reus, for example, when he was bought by Dortmund, had just had a similar season to De Bruyne, yet KDB goes for close to 60m when City come in for him.
That´s true. There will be a premium for the EPL, but you can still find bargains. Dortmund was a CL finalist with a big war chest, when they spent €40M combined for Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan. Now they are probably worth €100M. And this summer they paid €1.5M for 19 year old Julain Weigl, who walked into their starting 11. Germany is full of such players. Milner would probably become the leader due to his age and experience. Besides him their squad is fairly young with guys like Sakho, Lovren, Moreno, Clyne, Henderson, Coutinho, Firmino, Llallana, Sturridge, Benteke and so on. He does better when he can push and mold young players.

Not in a great place currenty, but with potential for a quick turnaround Liverpool is actually a perfect fit for him. Club history, current squad, financial resources. It suits his idea of football.

JustFootballFan

Supports
Liverpool
Still he's right in that LFC would not be an attractive proposition to either Klopp or Ancelotti. They don't have a prayer of making the CL for the next few years and both managers would surely be looking at moving up, not down in the management world.
Please. That´s simply not true, unless the EPL loses it´s 4th spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.