Klopp Confirmed Liverpool Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Klopp's history?

A manager can be a factor for change inspite of a club's perennial limitations.

History suggested Fergie would fail. But his own ambitions were eventually ingrained in the club's psyche. He was the factor for change. Klopp has the opportunity to change the course of a club.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Klopp's history?

A manager can be a factor for change inspite of a club's perennial limitations.

History suggested Fergie would fail. But his own ambitions were eventually ingrained in the club's psyche. He was the factor for change. Klopp has the opportunity to change the course of a club.
I agree. I do think the football landscape is very different now though. Back then, even when United were on that long barron run, the top British and Irish players went to Liverpool, Arsenal, United and to a lesser extent the Villas, Forests and Evertons of this world. The top foreign talents didn't come to Englan on a regular basis. There were a few, but not compared to today anyway. United were still a huge draw, pulling in some of the top attendances in the country and money was not as big a factor as it is now.

Now Arsenal and United are genuinely mega rich clubs while Chelsea and Man City have mega rich owners. All the top players, no matter where they're from, want CL football and money above all else.

I think Klopp is a hugely talented manager but I think if he wins the league with Liverpool it will be a bigger achievement than Fergie's first league title.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
They've always reported that financially all are very ambitious to actually materialize. What I meant is that if they write that someone is a BVB target, it's reliable while sources as Honigstein or Fjortoff are far less trustworthy (unless it's a transfer from Dortmund to Bayern, of course :D).
I completely misread your post then.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I believe it'll become 10/11 despite Liverpool's recent excellent record vs Spurs.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Ings out for the rest of the season with a cruciate, didn't know where to put this but there you go.

Happytom82

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ofc I want them to do shite, but he's a huge upgrade( at least on paper). Gegenpressing is done with a high backline though, and considering mignolet is everything but a sweeper-keeper and the defence is already lacking. This will take a lot of time to make into a juggernaut, and I don't believe it will happen.

Bayern as the only real oppo vs. us, city,chelsea,spurs,southampton,swansea etc. is two totally different things. Especially considering no winterbreak AND Klopps history of injuries. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced he is not the right man either. (please be right).

Plus, Klopp has always struggled against buses, that will be a challenge as well.

I am not worried.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Would be interesting to know if Klopp appreciates the current fitness level of his players or thinks they need to be improved. Chucky "The Brain" Buvac will be happy to take this task.

Last edited:

steve9

Bayern as the only real oppo vs. us, city,chelsea,spurs,southampton,swansea etc. is two totally different things. Especially considering no winterbreak AND Klopps history of injuries. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced he is not the right man either. (please be right).

Plus, Klopp has always struggled against buses, that will be a challenge as well.

I am not worried.
What most people still underestimate is Klopp's record vs Bayern. Since the 2010 season Bayern is a juggernaut, unparalleled in Bundesliga history, and in that said period only comparable to Barca. In that span Bayern was in three CL finals and five CL semifinals.

Nevertheless, in that same period Klopp won the league twice, hammered Bayern in one cup final, and lost another cup final only because of terrible refereeing.

King Kendrick

So if Klopp "fails" at Liverpool, does he get another opportunity at a top job?

It's fascinating to think what failure would be considered for Klopp. Failing to be perennially top 4? Not winning the league/being perennial title challengers? I think he surely has to make top 4 every year to justify the deification of the man, however well deserved it is.

steve9

So if Klopp "fails" at Liverpool, does he get another opportunity at a top job?

It's fascinating to think what failure would be considered for Klopp. Failing to be perennially top 4? Not winning the league/being perennial title challengers? I think he surely has to make top 4 every year to justify the deification of the man, however well deserved it is.
Good question. I would be astonished if he wouldn't get Liverpool into the top 4 already this season. If he couldn't get it done next season either, then I would call it a failure. And a serious stain on his record. Depending on how his team has played and the circumstances, this could end his career for top level clubs.

King Kendrick

Good question. I would be astonished if he wouldn't get Liverpool into the top 4 already this season. If he couldn't get it done next season either, then I would call it a failure. And a serious stain on his record. Depending on how his team has played and the circumstances, this could end his career for top level clubs.
The players he has aren't 100% conducive to his style apart from Sturridge Milner and Hendo. Jury's out on Tekkers & Cou, but the other forwards and midfielders just don't have that energy required for gegenpressing, if he is indeed going to play that style of football, which I can't see why not. And he likes playing with one up top, so one of Benteke and Sturridge will most likely sit out unless he plays one of them wide.

Although Chelsea's alarming form does leave a huge gap available, and I can very easily see Pool grabbing 4th, I have some serious doubts. Klopp himself has said his style takes 12-18 months to get adjusted to, and Liverpool already have several players unavailable, while Sturridge is a walking medical bill at this point until proven otherwise. Can they do it? Of course. Will they? Remains to be seen.

Apart from all that, I do think failing to get top 4 in either season will cost him his job, and that he will be considered a one trick pony. Regardless, if I was a neutral observer, it's going to be a fun time watching all this happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.