Klopp post-match meltdown

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Generally yes, but given that the general scheduling slots were fixed in pre-season times, the only actor that can change something within that framework are the broadcasters who pick their games. I mean, I completely understand why the broadcasters do as they do but I also understand why Ole or Klopp criticize them as they`re the only ones that can influence that right now.
Also I don`t think managers are worried to critize the PL, Klopp and Pep specifically have been moaning for years that there is no proper winter break.
Unfortunately Covid has put paid to this season's winter break.

Needham

Can one of the sites few pool fans answer this one for me , back in the 70's early 80's balls were heavier, tackles well the current lot be retired, klopp whines about the amount of games been played, Kenny Daglish averaged 65/72 games a season for 14, yeah thats FOURTEEN years straight as did most of that team he was in and they were only one sub allowed with a core squad of 14/15 top players where as klopp has 25, never once heard the team nor Bob whine like the current team and klopp and they were in all 4 comps, whats the difference ? what makes this worse than when kenny and co were just getting on with it and never complained?
Different era. Today people whine like spineless entitled pisspots about everything. Then tell themselves and the world they're fighting for "justice".

arthurka

Interviewer was a bit out of line imo. Surprised Klopp put up with him for as long as he did.
Why? Klopp needs to understand that being champions changes things. It is understandable that they are being picked for these games, great spot starting the Saturdays plus they are playing good football and winning stuff. If he wants to be counted as one of the big guys he has to start acting like one.

fps

To be fair, Klopp's points are far more pertinent than those of the reporter.

It's completely insane that we don't have 5 subs and are asking clubs who are in Euopre to play in the earliest fixture on a Saturday. Especially when you've got WBA-SU this evening.

It's all very amusing because it's fecked Pool today, but that could easily be us one week and we'd be making the same points.
Klopp seems fine here. Totally agree with your points.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Why? Klopp needs to understand that being champions changes things. It is understandable that they are being picked for these games, great spot starting the Saturdays plus they are playing good football and winning stuff. If he wants to be counted as one of the big guys he has to start acting like one.
Thinking about it even more, when did he want them to kick off. They have a midweek CL game, so any kick off time either later today or another day would cause ructions as well.

UDontMessWith24

He does have a point, as did Ole making the exact same point. On the other hand, I'm not so sure I want the PL to go the way of La Liga where ultimately the governing body or the league itself are given a green light to accommodate the big clubs in a completely unbalanced manner.

Ollie Derbyshire

Someone’s always complaining about something, just get on with it. The big clubs already have enough of an advantage, this at least makes some games more interesting.

OrcaFat

If Klopp has real concerns about player injuries etc he should rotate his squad simple as, same for any other manager as well. No point complaining about the fixture list, it is what it is, so get on with it.

I really hope Ole doesn’t mention it again, the top sides all have deep enough squads to manage it, if they don’t trust some of the players in their squad then that’s no one else’s fault, or problem, than theirs.

None of the managers would have been complaining when the TV money for these time slots came in/comes in. Either stop being greedy or do a deal and give some back so the broadcasters agree to show the lesser games in that slot instead.

In terms of the 5 sub rule, this should be brought back in as if I remember correctly it is a rule in all or most off the other top leagues this year so is only hindering our sides.

If some clubs don’t want the 5 sub rule cause it gives the bigger teams more of an advantage, if the big teams only want it for player safety, make 2 of the subs have to be home grown or come from the u23’s or whatever might work.
I sort of agree with most of this, in theory. The problem is that these early kick offs after long trips will disadvantage some teams more than others. It might all work out fair at the end of the season but maybe not. The top teams can’t just play fringe players in these matches, the stakes are too high.

And it just is not necessary. I think the Premier League is daring the top clubs to break away with this moronic scheduling.

Having said that, the moaning is annoying.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
To be fair, Klopp's points are far more pertinent than those of the reporter.

It's completely insane that we don't have 5 subs and are asking clubs who are in Euopre to play in the earliest fixture on a Saturday. Especially when you've got WBA-SU this evening.

It's all very amusing because it's fecked Pool today, but that could easily be us one week and we'd be making the same points.
They play Tuesday night. So playing at 8pm would have them moaning that's too close too.

Ollie Derbyshire

I sort of agree with most of this, in theory. The problem is that these early kick offs after long trips will disadvantage some teams more than others. It might all work out fair at the end of the season but maybe not. The top teams can’t just play fringe players in these matches, the stakes are too high.

And it just is not necessary. I think the Premier League is daring the top clubs to break away with this moronic scheduling.

Yeah but if they are only concerned about player welfare then they have a duty to play their fringe players and then they complain about the quality of the product because of it. What they shouldn’t do is play players into the ground and then complain.

If BT don’t show the ‘top’ teams in their slot then the price for than slot comes down, these same clubs complaining about the schedule don’t want that to happen. Just smacks of double standards to me.

Also they gain an advantage to teams who aren’t in Europe through extra money for transfers etc so can’t have it both ways.

crossy1686

career ending
Klopp has valid complaints, I don’t think anyone is disagreeing with what he’s saying but having a full blown argument with an interviewer in a post match isn’t a good look

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

The PL is the 20 clubs. I have been trying to get people to see this ad nauseam on Twitter. The big bad suits are the 20 PL clubs. The big clubs could have easily used their leverage to ensure that those playing in Europe are granted a bigger window after playing midweek. For whatever reason, they chose not to tender their packages of matches to broadcasters with this in mind.

Ollie Derbyshire

The PL is the 20 clubs. I have been trying to get people to see this ad nauseam on Twitter. The big bad suits are the 20 PL clubs. The big clubs could have easily used their leverage to ensure that those playing in Europe are granted a bigger window after playing midweek. For whatever reason, they chose not to tender their packages of matches to broadcasters with this in mind.
Exactly, reap what you sow.

el3mel

He's really a terrible loser isn't he ? Losses and draws bring the worst out of him.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Exactly, reap what you sow.
It’s amazing how few, even on here, don’t seem to understand what the Premier League is. The Premier League is a corporation with 20 shares, one held by each of the 20 participating clubs. The clubs are the Premier League. There’s no big bad business exploiting 20 clubs.

DickDastardly

What is it with the 5 sub rule they all want?!

Why not 10 subs? Per half.
Feck it, let's go all in, introduce time outs. With a red buzzer button.

The game is played the same for 30 years, they could have gotten used to it and the rules by now....

You want to spare your players?
DON'T FECKING PLAY THEM THEN!

What's with the constant moaning?
The whole world is constantly moaning about something....i want five subs, i don't wanna wear a mask, yadda yadda yadda....

Ollie Derbyshire

What is it with the 5 sub rule they all want?!

Why not 10 subs? Per half.
Feck it, let's go all in, introduce time outs. With a red buzzer button.

The game is played the same for 30 years, they could have gotten used to it and the rules by now....

You want to spare your players?
DON'T FECKING PLAY THEM THEN!

What's with the constant moaning?
The whole world is constantly moaning about something....i want five subs, i don't wanna wear a mask, yadda yadda yadda....
If Klopp really thinks the schedule is “really really dangerous” then he’s doing a piss poor job of protecting most of his players as he’s taking points over their welfare by playing some all the time. He has a choice.

el3mel

Imagine if he wasn't top of the table too... God, i miss the times when he hadn't turned Liverpool into a juggernaut and he was complaining about the English weather. Now, that was a meltdown.
I think he has a point but name dropping Chris Wilder like this is honestly insulting.

DickDastardly

If Klopp really thinks the schedule is “really really dangerous” then he’s doing a piss poor job of protecting most of his players as he’s taking points over their welfare by playing some all the time. He has a choice.
Really really dangerous. What a dumb line from a self entilted prick.

Manage your team big boy!

The game is as level as it can be.

Sure, you play earlier, that's why you get more money! So you can by more/better players.
Someone should break it to him.

Yes, you play CL or EL = still - more money dumbass.

You're welcome to forfeit the games and rest your players.
You want the treble?! You work hard and long, and get extremely lucky with the draws and the injuries,and you just might get your sights on it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Klopp has valid complaints, I don’t think anyone is disagreeing with what he’s saying but having a full blown argument with an interviewer in a post match isn’t a good look
Yeah exactly this. He tried to make the guy look a fool and wasn't expecting to get shit back. He has a point but it was poorly directed.

JSArsenal

It's a never ending cycle.

The Premier league season can't be extended because of international tournaments, so they need to squeeze in as many fixtures as they can in order to finish in April/May. It also won't be reduced, in terms of the number of teams in it.

The Champions League will not be reduced in terms of teams and number of games and that competition also needs to be wrapped up before internationals. In fact wasn't there talk of the CL being expanded? UEFA could scrap the group stage and have it be a straight knock out from the beginning, or have it start in February and only contain the winners of the various leagues. Of course that won't happen.

Then there's the fact that players like all other workers need a vacation.

This notwithstanding, clubs still embark on multiple pre-season tours and they'd do more of them if the season finished earlier.

If all the powers that be truly care about the players, then something has to give. I'm not even sure what difference a few hours will make. Will Liverpool really have that much more time to recover if they kick off at 3 pm on a Saturday rather than 12:30? If clubs that play in the Champions League get to play on Sundays, do Europa League teams get to play on the Monday?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's a never ending cycle.

The Premier league season can't be extended because of international tournaments, so they need to squeeze in as many fixtures as they can in order to finish in April/May. It also won't be reduced, in terms of the number of teams in it.

The Champions League will not be reduced in terms of teams and number of games and that competition also needs to be wrapped up before internationals. In fact wasn't there talk of the CL being expanded? UEFA could scrap the group stage and have it be a straight knock out from the beginning, or have it start in February and only contain the winners of the various leagues. Of course that won't happen.

Then there's the fact that players like all other workers need a vacation.

This notwithstanding, clubs still embark on multiple pre-season tours and they'd do more of them if the season finished earlier.

If all the powers that be truly care about the players, then something has to give. I'm not even sure what difference a few hours will make. Will Liverpool really have that much more time to recover if they kick off at 3 pm on a Saturday rather than 12:30? If clubs that play in the Champions League get to play on Sundays, do Europa League teams get to play on the Monday?
We do have to remember that they're playing football not working 15hour shifts down the mines though :lol:

Imagine if Klopp had to take over a team in lower tiers who have a couple of cup runs!

UmbroDays

Both aides made valid points. Was a good debate.

Hate all the sucking up to managers (read: Juergen) that Happens from the 3 broadcasters.

OrcaFat

Only a handful of clubs play in Europe. What leverage do they have over the other 14 or 15 clubs?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

I don't see how it works out fair in any way. There's no reason that a team playing in the CL on a Wednesday plays a noon match on a Saturday and the media are being pathetic saying with their excuses. They're being greedy, the PL allows them to be greedy so they say "hey don't look at me, it's the PL at fault here. I'm just being a capitalist pig". In a nutshell they are right, the FA are rubbish at this. Not only is it specifically unfair for teams to have these kick-off times, it also gives their European opponents an advantage. Teams in Italy regularly get Friday games ahead of mid-week European matches. You'll never see Real or Barca have this kind of schedule and that's during a regular season and not this even more contested covid season that no only amps up the injury frequency because of congestion but also has the added risk of infection.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I think he has a point but name dropping Chris Wilder like this is honestly insulting.
Agreed. I get his point but, at the same time, he becomes very annoying.

If i'm not mistaken the big clubs needed three more votes (14) to pass the motion for the 5 subs but the smaller ones stood firm against it. So, whenever he moans about it, in the manner that he does, it feels like he protests against the half of the PL managers who possess neither the resources nor the pulling power that he has at his disposal. It can become a bit cringeworthy.

As for the TV schedule, as others have mentioned, he (and all the others) doesn't have a problem with cash that comes in from all these peime-time televised games. Even the way he admitted the offsides (full of irony) which were the correct decisions is an indication that he was asking for an opportunity to use the presser as a platform to start complaining.

stu_1992

Klopp certainly isn't wrong on being asked to play in the early slot is a bit ridiculous, but yeah going about it completely the wrong way. It looks like nothing but sour grapes by doing it in an interview immediately after the game. There's ways to could probably go about getting it changed (successfully or otherwise) thsy don't involve taking shots at thr broadcaster live on TV.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Rubbish argument, they don't moan when they win an early kick off, just an excuse rather than anything legitimate. Get over it and do your job.

Pagh Wraith

I don't really agree with Klopp on the issue but really, really cannot ever side with the likes of Shreeves and Kelly. Horrible leeches. You can hear the smugness and condescension in every word they say. They think they're part of the gang and haven't asked an interesting question between them in their lives.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He uses Robertson in his example, of how much he needed a rest and complains about the 5 subs.

5 subs is absolutely a disadvantage to Wilder who is really struggling without O’Connell and Fleck, never mind having to compete with sides that can bring more world class players off the bench.

If poor “Robbo” needed a rest and it is “dangerous” to play at this time, he should have played the fit left back that he had on his own bench from the start and used his squad like other managers are having to do.

cyberman

Klopps right, as was Ole after Everton. I was expecting a meltdown due to the VAR decisions.
He didnt actually complain about VAR which is credit to him. Theres enough fans and anti VAR followers who would have validated those excuses for him

Ollie Derbyshire

He uses Robertson in his example, of how much he needed a rest and complains about the 5 subs.

5 subs is absolutely a disadvantage to Wilder who is really struggling without O’Connell and Fleck, never mind having to compete with sides that can bring more world class players off the bench.

If poor “Robbo” needed a rest and it is “dangerous” to play at this time, he should have played the fit left back that he had on his own bench from the start and used his squad like other managers are having to do.
Yep, and was interesting to how many long balls they are playing now a days. Just lump it up to the quick players and let them go.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Thought this deserves its own thread.

This is the first time I’ve seen an interviewer have him on the back foot and call him out on his moaning.

Hoping someone can post the clip as it was gold.

Edit: Interview thanks to @Jacko21

Isn’t he just making the same point that Ole did? I can sympathise with both of them.