Klopp post-match meltdown

Is there a club as self-pitying as them in world football? Genuinely?

Their manager, their captain and at least two other high-profile players (Robertson and Milner, judging by the BBC article linked earlier) are basically calling for VAR to be scrapped. All because they were on the receiving end of three correct decisions yesterday.

What in God’s name is going on? Are the media and football authorities just going to let them off with this show of petulance and no little arrogance? Jesus wept.
Its pathetic behaviour.

being disappointed is perfectly normal. But calling for VAR to be scrapped because they got 3 decisions correct is surely bringing the game into disrepute?

these aren’t young players either. Robertson is captain of Scotland, Henderson is club captain, Milner has been in the game 20 years and had regularly captained Liverpool.

it’s like they like in a twilight zone.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
After the 2011 CL final, Fergie replied to a reasonable question, considering Barca had Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Alexis, Pedro, Pique and the rest of them, of which one player would he take from Barcelona, by dismissing it and calling it the stupidest question he’s ever heard. There’s been many other instances too so this point is null and void.

Now, why didn’t journalists hit back at Fergie? Two reasons:

1) He was rightly respected around the world for his success, so journalists knew it was harder to have a go at him than Klopp for instance.

2) He would ban them and stop doing interviews with them, which again, he could afford to do due to the respect he had for his success. Klopp can’t do that just yet. Again, John Motson once asked about Keano’s disciplinary issues, another reasonable question, but Fergie simply stormed out and didn’t give him an interviewfor months after that.

3) Success breeds power, and Fergie has more achievements in his little toes than Klopp.
:lol: That is a fecking stupid question

Red14Devil9

Klopp should accept that VAR can make the right call that isn't good for Liverpool. He wasn't complaining last season when VAR basically helped Liverpool to create that 'unstoppable' form.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Crazy isn't it? The incredulity over the penalty award by Liverpool of all teams beggars belief.

The one against West Ham was only a few weeks ago and was far softer.

They've had plenty of penalties awarded over the last few seasons that you watch and grudgingly agree is technically a penalty as there is contact, however minimal. Then one is given against them and the toys start flying.
This. I've lost count of the soft ones they have been awarded over the last few years. There are games where you feel that the defenders aren't even allowed, not to touch, but even to come close to Mane and Salah.

saivet

I'm not really sure I agree with him on the broadcasting. They're not going to be played on Sunday as they are playing in the CL on Tuesday and does playing at 3pm rather than 12.30pm really make that much of a difference?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's hilarious. I genuinely can't believe the outrage, they seem annoyed at VAR catching them rather than it not being a foul. They keep saying it's soft.. well how many soft pens have they had over the last 2 years?! it stinks of entitlement.
Murphy was trying to put their side over on match of the day too.
They'd also dug out one of the few times Salah had got a touch somewhere and not got a pen as well.
Amazing.

Why not show one of the countless times he or Mane have got a nick and fallen to the floor for a pen to show they've had many go for them too?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm not really sure I agree with him on the broadcasting. They're not going to be played on Sunday as they are playing in the CL on Tuesday and does playing at 3pm rather than 12.30pm really make that much of a difference?
There does seem to be some odd rage at saturday 12.30 that isn't seen with other equivalent timings. One like the one you mention but also when a team has a Thursday europa game and then play Sunday lunchtime as happened with Tottenham.

Withnail

Is there a club as self-pitying as them in world football? Genuinely?

Their manager, their captain and at least two other high-profile players (Robertson and Milner, judging by the BBC article linked earlier) are basically calling for VAR to be scrapped. All because they were on the receiving end of three correct decisions yesterday.

What in God’s name is going on? Are the media and football authorities just going to let them off with this show of petulance and no little arrogance? Jesus wept.
It's hilarious.

They were lucky to get a point and they're acting like they were robbed. The refs for the decisions spot on.

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
Still waiting for the Meltdown.

RashyForPM

First of all that is a really stupid bloody question. Seriously? Second of all context matters. Come on, post Champions League final loss to Barcelona (second in time in couple of years) versus a draw to Brighton?! Weird comparison.
No it is not a stupid question...it’s not just black and white to simply say Messi. And I’m not talking about the game, I’m just saying, Fergie has hit back at journalists many times. How about the John Motson one? Are you going to say that is a stupid question too and that Keane didn’t have disciplinary issues?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They'd also dug out one of the few times Salah had got a touch somewhere and not got a pen as well.
Amazing.

Why not show one of the countless times he or Mane have got a nick and fallen to the floor for a pen to show they've had many go for them too?
Watch the Salah pen against West Ham, it’s literally a carbon copy but they haven’t said a word about it? Are their memories really that poor :lol: I wish they had the video ready to show them and then see what they think. “Oh that’s different” :lol:

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Amazing.

Did people watch an alternate Premier League last season where Liverpool were the ones who broke the record for penalties awarded?

We got five penalties last season, less than any team in the top 6.

I'd grant you Leicester was soft. The others: Origi getting bundled over by two men at West Ham - definite peno; Aurier smashing through the back of Mane's calves against Tottenham - definite; handball away to Leicester - nailed on; Luiz with a shirt pull so blatant Salah stayed on his feet and it was given - definite.

This feels like the Mandela effect a bit. Liverpool got a lot of late goals last season, and some of them were quite lucky. You lot have collectively deluded yourself into misremembering these lucky moments as penalties.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Watch the Salah pen against West Ham, it’s literally a carbon copy but they haven’t said a word about it? Are their memories really that poor :lol: I wish they had the video ready to show them and then see what they think. “Oh that’s different” :lol:
They showed it on Match of the Day and literally said they were the same.

hubbuh

No it is not a stupid question...it’s not just black and white to simply say Messi. And I’m not talking about the game, I’m just saying, Fergie has hit back at journalists many times. How about the John Motson one? Are you going to say that is a stupid question too and that Keane didn’t have disciplinary issues?
Nah I'm sorry it is. Is that how low standards are now? Broadcasters asking managers pointless hypotheticals about which player they'd take off the opposition after getting whooped in a final? It's fecking ridiculous :lol:

Withnail

Cool, haven’t watched it. So did they agree it was a penalty then?
Yeah they were fair about it. They didn't think Brighton was a penalty, but said if we get the West Ham one on Salah, Brighton have to get that one yesterday.

I can't disagree with that.
They made the point about consistency but the narrative was that neither should have been given and VAR should be scrapped.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Why? There’s been far stupider questions.
It doesn’t matter if there’s been stupider questions. The one to Fergie about who
he would take from the winning side when it’s known managers don’t talk about other teams players plus straight after a champions league final was just daft.

how that’s even mentioned in the same conversation as klopp being pulled up on something he was wrong about is strange but shouldn’t surprise me on here

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I have such a great time watching Klopp uttering these stupidities - what an idiot and what a ridiculous club!!

It's hilarious.
He's acting like they were robbed when they were lucky to grab a point.

Congratulations to him for his super-shiny teeth.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Did people watch an alternate Premier League last season where Liverpool were the ones who broke the record for penalties awarded?

We got five penalties last season, less than any team in the top 6.

I'd grant you Leicester was soft. The others: Origi getting bundled over by two men at West Ham - definite peno; Aurier smashing through the back of Mane's calves against Tottenham - definite; handball away to Leicester - nailed on; Luiz with a shirt pull so blatant Salah stayed on his feet and it was given - definite.

This feels like the Mandela effect a bit. Liverpool got a lot of late goals last season, and some of them were quite lucky. You lot have collectively deluded yourself into misremembering these lucky moments as penalties.
Last year - there were plenty of VAR calls for Liverpool not including penalties given to you. For example, in the Wolves game which was incredibly close they had an offside that didn’t seem offside. At the same time Van Dijk hand balled in the build up to the goal and it was give . Crystal Palace had a goal disallowed for them to go ahead that didn’t make any sense. You got a penalty in the City match after City could have had a penalty literally thirty seconds earlier.

Mihai

After the 2011 CL final, Fergie replied to a reasonable question, considering Barca had Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Alexis, Pedro, Pique and the rest of them, of which one player would he take from Barcelona, by dismissing it and calling it the stupidest question he’s ever heard. There’s been many other instances too so this point is null and void.

Now, why didn’t journalists hit back at Fergie? Two reasons:

1) He was rightly respected around the world for his success, so journalists knew it was harder to have a go at him than Klopp for instance.

2) He would ban them and stop doing interviews with them, which again, he could afford to do due to the respect he had for his success. Klopp can’t do that just yet. Again, John Motson once asked about Keano’s disciplinary issues, another reasonable question, but Fergie simply stormed out and didn’t give him an interviewfor months after that.

3) Success breeds power, and Fergie has more achievements in his little toes than Klopp.
How is that a "reasonable" question? :lol:

Posh Red

How is that a "reasonable" question? :lol:
It’s also being taken composite out of context for some reason. In that Fergie interview, the press were laughing as it was quite clearly a light-hearted joke. If I remember correctly, he actually answered ‘Abidal’ or something. It’s nothing like the Klopp situation.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He should be very careful when blaming BT. He never complained when they got the TV money.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Last year - there were plenty of VAR calls for Liverpool not including penalties given to you. For example, in the Wolves game which was incredibly close they had an offside that didn’t seem offside. At the same time Van Dijk hand balled in the build up to the goal and it was give . Crystal Palace had a goal disallowed for them to go ahead that didn’t make any sense. You got a penalty in the City match after City could have had a penalty literally thirty seconds earlier.
We didn't get a penalty against City. You're thinking Fabinho scoring after the TAA handball. However, that would never have been a handball because Bernardo hand-balled it immediately before. Maybe the result should have been a free-kick to us but the refs missed both hand-balls and VAR can't intervene to give a free-kick for a foul against a team who then score on the advantage. They basically cancelled eachother out in the VAR.

Neto's goal is essentially now a standard offside, I think it's ridiculous that we're making those decisions to be honest. But it's not particular to Liverpool. I'm guessing Van Djik's handball you saw the still image? Because in motion it clearly doesn't touch his arm.

Palace was a push in the back? That's fair enough actually I agree with you, we got away with that one. I've had a major problem with the way VAR adds to the deliberateness of events because of slow-mo. For instance, I think Origi was fouled in the build up to your goal at Old Trafford last season. People said it was a dive because slow mo doesn't communicate the speed with which he was moving when he was clipped (ergo looks like a dive). I think this was the same situation here.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
It’s incredible how often they are able to mould the footballing narrative to their own benefit. It really is.

We are inundated with Scouse sympathisers in English football media and they continually get favourable coverage, so much so that broadcasters contradict themselves from one incident to the next when it concerns their footballing darlings, e.g. yesterday Humphries said at half-time that they weren’t going to “waste time more time today talking about VAR but instead Liverpool’s beautiful football” (for Salah’s disallowed effort), yet they dedicated the entire post-game discussion just to VAR. Throw in two ex-Scousers as the pundits and you are left with no objectivity whatsoever, similar to the product we presenting with on Sky every weekend, and on MOTD.

You genuinely could not make it up.

Unlikely lad

It’s also being taken composite out of context for some reason. In that Fergie interview, the press were laughing as it was quite clearly a light-hearted joke. If I remember correctly, he actually answered ‘Abidal’ or something. It’s nothing like the Klopp situation.
Mascherano

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

SAF actually said it was the most ridiculous question he had ever heard and light heartedly responded with ‘Mascherano’. First of all he said it was a stupid question because Messi was the best player in the world at the time. He then replied with ‘Mascherano’ because he used to play for Liverpool and the answer was tongue in cheek.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
We didn't get a penalty against City. You're thinking Fabinho scoring after the TAA handball. However, that would never have been a handball because Bernardo hand-balled it immediately before. Maybe the result should have been a free-kick to us but the refs missed both hand-balls and VAR can't intervene to give a free-kick for a foul against a team who then score on the advantage. They basically cancelled eachother out in the VAR.

Neto's goal is essentially now a standard offside, I think it's ridiculous that we're making those decisions to be honest. But it's not particular to Liverpool. I'm guessing Van Djik's handball you saw the still image? Because in motion it clearly doesn't touch his arm.

Palace was a push in the back? That's fair enough actually I agree with you, we got away with that one. I've had a major problem with the way VAR adds to the deliberateness of events because of slow-mo. For instance, I think Origi was fouled in the build up to your goal at Old Trafford last season. People said it was a dive because slow mo doesn't communicate the speed with which he was moving when he was clipped (ergo looks like a dive). I think this was the same situation here.
@Wumminator you can’t reason with biased Liverpool fans.

Posh Red

Mascherano
SAF actually said it was the most ridiculous question he had ever heard and light heartedly responded with ‘Mascherano’. First of all he said it was a stupid question because Messi was the best player in the world at the time. He then replied with ‘Mascherano’ because he used to play for Liverpool and the answer was tongue in cheek.
Cheers. New it was something like that

Its harder to retain the league than it is to win it.

This is all well overdue. Everybody knew his high paced style would wear the players out eventually. It's taken longer than it did at Dortmund, through better sports science and incredible luck, but the injuries are racking up now. Just a shame they managed to win a title* before it happened.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I respect Klopp, I don’t like him, but he’s got a valid point there