Knee Jerk to Spurs game thread

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Loads of knee jerk thread when we lose, so for a bit of balance lets be happy with this result.

Takes me back to the time when Carlos Queiroz was responsible for enforcing a 3/5 at the back, which was against the "United Way" and many were pissed off.

It then turned out to be one of our most successful formations, different players today, but we cant ignore that being a bit defensive is good.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Delighted to see something different rather than the same old formation with minor personnel changes. Love edi and ronaldo together.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Nearly 500 million to park the bus with 7 defensive players! Yaay! Are top notch attacking talents on the bench, yaay!

Ole has to do what he has to do and that is to try and save his job as he knows the board is clueless. I bet that no one would sign up for what is looking to come at the start of the season.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
It’s actually very striking how quiet it is on here tonight. It seems a large proportion of our fan base aren’t happy unless they are miserable. Sad really.

Well done to Ole and the team for shutting them up! I for one thought it was a very balanced and impressive tactical performance, and obviously a great result - especially with the mighty Klopp and Lord Pep both dropping points.

Caius

Delighted to see something different rather than the same old formation with minor personnel changes. Love edi and ronaldo together.
Yes! Really hoping to see more games with the two of them up front together, they both have such great attacking movement and are deadly in the air. Even with an extra man back if we play with 5 defenders, them two with Bruno should always be able to hit the back of the net. Not to mention being able to bring Rashford and Greenwood on against tired legs

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
It’s actually very striking how quiet it is on here tonight. It seems a large proportion of our fan base aren’t happy unless they are miserable. Sad really.

Well done to Ole and the team for shutting them up! I for one thought it was a very balanced and impressive tactical performance, and obviously a great result - especially with the mighty Klopp and Lord Pep both dropping points.
I agree. Thank god Ole spent 80m on Sancho to revert to a wingerless system. Long may it continue

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes

Absolutely. One aspect Ole doesn’t get nearly enough credit for is the signings he has made, signings that won us the game today. Ronaldo and Cavani, a testament to managerial acumen in unearthing these hidden gems!

Red00012

The posters that are having a night off won’t be missed

matt23

Absolutely. One aspect Ole doesn’t get nearly enough credit for is the signings he has made, signings that won us the game today. Ronaldo and Cavani, a testament to managerial acumen in unearthing these hidden gems!
Sancho

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
All the things that were wrong with us on Sunday are still wrong with us. We still have a lot of high quality players though, and putting them in any basically functional formation they are likely to win quite a few games. But the question remains are we good enough to win any serious competition with the flaws we have and the answer is no.

tothetop96

I've been lurking here for 10+ years now and I don't think I've ever seen it this quiet after a match. Mad how many people are made for misery.

FatTails

You’re the champion of making stuff up! Congrats.

I’m Ole out, but thrilled with the win today, and said we would win, and said before the game that I’m excited that Ole changed the shape of the team and is trying something different.

The fanbase is not two big groups, one die-hard Ole in people and another who are Ole out and want us to lose every game. People are not extreme caricatures.

Long may it continue. We should stick to this back 5 and become good at it. It’s very promising. But we’ve had many false dawns. I enjoyed the wins and especially Cavani and Varane today, but I’m still a bit pessimistic about the general state of our team.

podurban2

90% of posters are happy. You are making up stuff.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The Atalanta game is the big one for me as whatever else happens over the coming weeks/months I want to have CL football to look forward to early next year. As long as we have that, whatever else happens happens.

And even with whatever asterisks or qualifications we want to put on today's result, the tactics or Ole's future, I'm much happier going into the Atalanta game off the back of today.

AFC NimbleThumb

Take a bloody day off. You revel in the division’s amongst the posters more than most any poster I’ve seen. The ‘mighty Klopp’ just came to OT & put 5 past us ffs! Of all the ways to end a post you’ve chosen the dumbest.

People aren’t unhappy we won you loon.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
We’ve all seen this movie before. Spurs were absolutely dreadful, we beat them but didn’t exactly pull up any trees. Important 3 points but Ole still has to go, nothing more to say that hasn’t already been said.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
:lol: if anything this is the knee jerk thread. A massive win against a horrible Spurs side may be a great thing for you but I still want that Incompetent manager out of my club asap.

Happy with the win ? Ofcourse but don't put that as a golden feather in his hat. He is still clueless and incompetent.

Foxbatt

:lol: if anything this is the knee jerk thread. A massive win against a horrible Spurs side may be a great thing for you but I still want that Incompetent manager out of my club asap.

Happy with the win ? Ofcourse but don't put that as a golden feather in his hat. He is still clueless and incompetent.
Exactly. This knee jerk reaction to this win is nauseating. A win is good always but this shows nothing that has changed. Ronaldo and Cavani upfront will cause problems for a lot of teams and this was exactly as a lot of us has been saying. We have brilliant players who can win matches on their individual brilliance. Not because of the coaches we have or any team structure.

Hope to see Cavani and Ronaldo become a regular strike partnership. Sancho, Rashford and Greenwood can fight for the scraps. It's about what's best for the club and these two will deliver (without needing 5 chances to score 1).

stevoc

Loads of knee jerk thread when we lose, so for a bit of balance lets be happy with this result.

Takes me back to the time when Carlos Queiroz was responsible for enforcing a 3/5 at the back, which was against the "United Way" and many were pissed off.

It then turned out to be one of our most successful formations, different players today, but we cant ignore that being a bit defensive is good.
When was this?

432JuanMata

This place is knee jerk. All fans are to be fair. This was a great performance and tactically was spot on but it doesn’t change my opinion on Ole as we are always capable of these performances yet when we don’t play well we drop off so much.
We were tactically good today but based on this season that is more the exception to the norm that the other way around

BuzzKillington

If Ole is going to be trusted til the end of the season, as I’ve suspected he would. I’d like to see him fine tune the 352 and also find a way to incorporate the unfashionable but effective 442 as well. I don’t want to see us line up like that every week, but having two strikers like today can be very effective in the right circumstances. Even more so if we’ve got two traditional wingers on the pitch at the same time. We have the personnel for it too.

justboy68

Great result and great to see Cavani and Ronaldo up top together.

The worry is obviously that the board will think they can brush all the recent shite losses under the carpet. It's going to take a lot more than this one performance to justify Ole staying in the dugout. Nonetheless this was a much needed win for us and delighted to see us get some pride back.

stevoc

Exactly what I was thinking.
Yeah Fergie dabbled with 352 from time to time but never for any great period of time. I certainly don't remember us having one of our most successful periods employing it.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Well done Ole. He might not be good enough for Utd but nice to see him get a win.

Ronaldo and Cavani is the way forward. They both have such great movement. The team looked much more solid in that shape. Rashford is great to bring on when Utd are ahead.

Sorry for Sancho and Greenwood but they are not good enough defensively to play as wingers anyway.

Results went Ole's way yesterday. A win against Atalanta and a good showing against City and things will look alot brighter. I think Ole is definately going to be replaced but he might buy himself a bit of time and go out on a more positive note.

Someone

Something
It's pretty tiresome accusing the fans of being too negative. Since Fergie's retirement United fans in general have been very supportive of all managers, and more patient than your average top club fan. Yeah sometimes it gets too negative in here, but it's usually warranted. All united fans adore Ole, and him succeeding here would've been a fairy tale come true. But it's evident by now that it's not gonna happen, and he will get sacked eventually. That's why it's hard to enjoy a win these days because there's always that feeling that another embarrassing defeat is around the corner. People are just tired of false dawns that's all.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Take a bloody day off. You revel in the division’s amongst the posters more than most any poster I’ve seen. The ‘mighty Klopp’ just came to OT & put 5 past us ffs! Of all the ways to end a post you’ve chosen the dumbest.

People aren’t unhappy we won you loon.
I mean, I’ve obviously struck a nerve but I’m not sure how or why when it was just an observation. Last week must have been some sort of record for pointless moaning and meltdown thread creation yet when we play well and win convincingly and it’s like a ghost town tonight. Even the existing threads aren’t exactly buzzing with conversation, but what do I know maybe everybody is out on the town celebrating.

Not sure I care for your characterisation of me if I’m honest. I do not revel in anything other than enjoying following and supporting this team, so I’m not sure what you think you’ve seen.

As for City and the scousers, again a statement of fact. Any points we dropped to them in the title race last week have been made up this week. Hopefully we beat City next weekend and continue the trend. If that’s dumb then so be it.

I’ll say it now. The 532 today, with no width and only Fernandes supplying the two CF will end up getting punished Vs teams that are not as crap as spurs. It we had the ability to pass and play through the middle then yes, but we don’t. Same problem will emerge 1) can’t break down teams, 2) rely on moments of brilliance which will be less 3) rely on defensive mistakes

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Let's be honest, Spurs are muck but we tried a different system and it worked. When Sir Alex was the boss he would always adapt the starting 11 to match what he thought what the opposition would play like tactically and he was never afraid to alter his tactics during a game when things were going wrong, he didn't just have plan A/B/C he had dozens of tactical options to use when needed and wasn't afraid to play players out of position to suit the opponents in any given game (he once played Paul Ince at right back). Ole needs to learn to get his players to be able to switch formations and adapt to evolving situations like it's second nature to them. Not the Fergie way but his way with his stamp of authority. Surprise the opposition, catch them off guard, drill this into the squads mentality so that they'll do this without thinking because they can trust one another.
Today was good but let's not adopt the exact same formula next week against city, let's surprise them by showing them we can play any system seamlessly because we have a squad that is packed with star studded quality. That is all.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
I’ll say it now. The 532 today, with no width and only Fernandes supplying the two CF will end up getting punished Vs teams that are not as crap as spurs. It we had the ability to pass and play through the middle then yes, but we don’t. Same problem will emerge 1) can’t break down teams, 2) rely on moments of brilliance which will be less 3) rely on defensive mistakes
Not the time to complain about this tactic, it worked perfectly and I'm still of the mind to replace Ole but the change in shape will benefit us long term. Sancho can play in this system and so can Mason so we can always switch it up to add more flair and pace. I'm actually excited to see it against Atalanta and City.

kirk buttercup

To give credit they were the right Tactics for today . If he can get the next couple of games tactics right is the big question. Even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap

You dont think that, maybe, everyone is out celebrating instead of sitting on a computer? When we win, no one wants to go out for a drink. So they stay in and moan on line. We win, the pub calls.

RazorOz

This place is knee jerk. All fans are to be fair. This was a great performance and tactically was spot on but it doesn’t change my opinion on Ole as we are always capable of these performances yet when we don’t play well we drop off so much.
We were tactically good today but based on this season that is more the exception to the norm that the other way around
I don't see this great performance. It was better than the tosh we've served up recently, but that was hardly difficult. 3-0 massively flattered us vs a very poor Spurs side. We were very clinical, but it was not like we blew them away.

Daengophile

Hope to see Cavani and Ronaldo become a regular strike partnership. Sancho, Rashford and Greenwood can fight for the scraps. It's about what's best for the club and these two will deliver (without needing 5 chances to score 1).
I like the look of Ronaldo and Cavani. They ooze confidence.

They look like they could score goals and still have time to sit down to a feast of octopus salad before half time